Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 19, 2008
The HTC S730 is an exceptional phone in that it does everything it's supposed to do and well. Windows Mobile runs smoothly, the camera takes exceptionally good sharp photos. Call quality/speaker is above average. The gunmetal grey plastic material as well as the overall design of the phone detract from it's above average insides. No touch screen is a bit difficult to adjust to if you're used to having one. Overall, this is one of the best smartphones on the market today if you want a Qwerty keyboard. The phone dial buttons are easy to use. Bluetooth and WiFi are easily accessed by bottons on the side of the phone. The screen size is on the small side. The only thing I'm not sure of is if it has GPS. Another word of caution is that 3G does not work on this phone in the United States.The HSDPA runs at 2100mhz while AT&T uses the 850/1900mhz for 3G. I live in Chicago and have AT&T, the bands are not supported by AT&T that this phone uses for 3G. If you can live without buttons, the HTC Touch Cruise has EVERYTHING:GPS, touch screen(obviously),3G and Windows Mobile Professional, and a beautiful screen!
on April 5, 2008
I am a huge HTC fan - this is the 4th HTC device I've purchased, either through AT&T or on my own. First 3 phones were great and was looking forward to this one because it has every single feature I'd been waiting for in a single phone.

Unfortunately, this phone was released before it was ready. As of this writing (April, 2008) - 4 months after its release - it still has a serious software/system bug that causes its memory to shrink to the point of programs not running properly, the phone unable to answer, and other various slow-downs and lock-ups. HTC eventually acknowledged that they know of the problem, but have not said a word about fixing it. Based on the history of device makers, the S730 owner community out there - including myself - is quite worried that instead of fixing it, HTC will wait for everyone to buy their next phone and forget about it. However, this problem has made me decide to never buy an HTC phone again.

Aside from that bug, and as further proof that it was not ready to ship when it shipped, the phone's GPS function was disabled. The GPS chip is in there and there's even a GPS test program on the phone, but GPS was actually turned off by HTC - which likely means they didn't have enough time to get it working when it shipped. And again, no fix or software update has been made available to turn GPS on. GPS being a feature that is becoming quite common, and is a feature that I read was in this phone when I decided to buy it.

But taking these two major problems away from the discussion, the phone is in fact a great design and good implementation. The slide-out keyboard works great, WiFi reception is decent, and WinMo v6 is a great improvement over v5. Some might be bothered by the extra weight you have to carry around to get all this great functionality, but that's the trade-off I suppose.

Battery life is ok for basic phone use, but be aware that WiFi sucks the life out of the battery pretty quickly. I bought a spare battery when I got the phone and am glad I did so.

Because of the memory problem and lack of GPS, I'm already shopping for another phone - which is now likely to not be an HTC. So I'd skip this one yourself unless you hear about these issues being resolved first.
on May 18, 2008
Go Windows mobile!! Works fine for day-to-day usage - phone/calendar/email/notes. Weather report on home screen is great! Decent battery life.
But it does have a serious memory problem! Spec says 45MB of RAM but on normal usage, it reduces to ~5-6MB of free RAM.