Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: JVC GR-D850 MiniDV Camcorder with 35x Optical Zoom (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 25, 2008
The sound and video quality is amazing! I am very impressed by the quality of the image and sound even at night. There is no blurring when panning around either, but at night its performance slightly suffers. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to focus correctly at night from switching from close to distant objects, but it is crystal clear. The sound is GREAT. Its easy to use, easy to hold.

In order to place taped videos to the PC, you need a Fire Wire port on your computer, a 6pin to 4pin fire wire cable, and a lot of hard drive space. One hour is about 14 gigs when transfered 100% uncompressed. After editing and compression though the file size is very manageable.

**For every minute you record it takes one minute to transfer to the PC**

If I had payed 350 dollars for this, I would still be amazed. Its the steal of the year, so cheap yet so good...! I bought the camera, firewire cable, three Fuji Film MiniDV's with tax didnt break 300 dollars!

This is the first camera I've ever owned.
on April 21, 2008
I bought this one for my mom and dad. It seems just as easy to use as the one I purchased a few years back. It's lightweight and mom seems to understand how to use it after about ten minutes of showing her how to do things.

The only thing I would not like is that it lacks a viewfinder (like on a film camera) -- all it has is the large LCD display. If you prefer a viewfinder, you may want to look at other camcorders.
on June 8, 2008
The JVC GR-D850 MiniDV Camcorder is our 3rd JVC camcorder. It was purchased primarily for quick capture of family events and we didn't expect the final video to be as high a quality as our previous JVC GR-DV800U which cost almost 3 times as much. So, when we powered up the camcorder and took our first video we weren't too disappointed. That being said, this camcorder is small enough to tote around just about anywhere and comes in handy when hiking in the woods or around family gatherings. The final video produced isn't too bad although the color balance is just OK.

For the price this is a good buy.
on January 19, 2009
I recently had a bad experience purchasing another (quality name brand, begins with p) Mini-DV camcorder. It was around the same price as this one. I was really disappointed at the extremely poor quality, and distorted image. I didn't expect a lot, but having owned other camcorders, I expected something a little better.

This one caught my eye for several reasons: Konica lens, no viewfinder, firewire link, extended battery time (1.5 hours versus most at 1 hour) and the price was right. At this price range, I didn't expect much, but what I got was AMAZING, and exceeded my expectations. I record in mostly low light, and some times those video can come out very grainy, or the lighting is green or yellow and goes in and out of focus. The picture from this camcorder in low light was very clear, not grainy at all that I could tell on a 32" Vizio, after using the auto light feature to record. Colors were very nice, no yellow or greenish tint at all, could see details very well. The zoom was very smooth and it kept in focus very well zooming. The sound is very nice as well.

Another amazing feature was the image stabilization. I had the camcorder on a tripod, on a table. People kept bumping the table, at times for an extended time. It's virtually undetectable in the video. At the very worst bumps, you may see a very slight jump, but only if you are really looking for it.

The camcorder is very easy to use. Menu is easy to navigate, and understand. Some nice features like black and white and sepia. My only complaint is turning the camcorder on and off is a little difficult, the button seems stiff. My video uploaded seamlessly into my 06 iMac, using iMovie HD, ideal for Mac users.

I truly love this camcorder! This is the third MiniDV camcorder I've owned in the past 3 years, the most affordable, and by far the best. I highly recommend this product.
on February 26, 2012
I bought this camera so I could transfer my old Mini DV tapes to my PC. For this, It worked perfectly. I bought it used and didn't plan to really record much with it. Its an okay camera if you're looking for an older Mini DV cam at a good price. I have recorded with it on more occasions than I thought I would when I bought it. There are definitely cameras with better quality out these days. Also, the one I got has a dead pixel or something that is recorded to tape whenever I record. I hear this can be common though with many cameras, although, It does suck to have a blue pixel on everything I tape. Overall, I'm happy with this purchase because my original reason to buy it was to only transfer tapes to my PC. Though, I would prefer to buy a higher quality camera for recording.
on August 14, 2009
I bought this camera for an elderly woman who wanted to videotape sessions at church. She seems pretty happy with the camera, from the standpoint of never having owned a videocamera, The camcorder is very easy to use. Menu is easy to navigate, and understand.

I highly recommend this product.
on February 7, 2010
Well I haven't had lot of camcorders per say but I'm in to movie making and the fire wire part of it is a little a annoying but man It's not even an hd camera and it has amazing quality. I would definitely recommend this camera to anybody.
on June 27, 2010
It did all and more than i thought it would do. It gave me a quality that is just like the larger more professionally used cameras. I love it, get one or two!!! Just check out biznessman119 at [...] and u'll see what i did with the camera!!
on February 9, 2010
For the price of this product it works very well. There is no view finder so that can be frustrating and the manual focus doesn't work very well but the picture quality is alright.
on December 1, 2008
This camera has a firewire port, but it does NOT work with a Mac for digitizing, so I had to return it. Should have done more homework.