on March 19, 2010
Verified Purchase
Too bad I bought the Mr. Coffee four cup machine before this one. That one tasted like plastic no matter what I did. This gizmo is cheap, brews at 180 degrees, (I tested it) and that's the temperature recommended by the coffee experts. Anything hotter than that cooks the coffee and it has a burnt taste. I drink my java black with no sweetener, so I'm fussy about that burnt taste. This makes a great cup of coffee. No burnt taste, no plastic taste, is convenient to use and easy to clean. VERY good at this price point.
on December 11, 2009
Verified Purchase
This is basically the same brewer as the Elite Quisine 4 cup brewer which you can buy here at Amazon. The same manufacturer must make both for different companies. One says "Elite" and the other says "Continental" but they are clones. Both are so inexpensive I got one of each, in case I need a spare. As inexpensive as they are, I don't know how long they will last. This one seems to have a slightly lower brewing temperature than the Elite Quisine and the caraf doesn't have calibrations for the amount of coffee that the Elite has. This one is also a lot cheaper. I paid only $12.00 and now it is down to $9 and change. The Elite is 19.95.

My only real criticism of this one is that the brewing temperature could be hotter, as the other brewer is. I measured the temperature in the pot on this at 179 degrees Farenheit but that is after the water soaks through the beans and drips through the air about 6 inches. The Elite temps out at 185 in the pot. It tastes hotter too.

If you buy this one, or the other for that matter, I would recommend one of those double walled Bodum mugs you can get at Starbucks (don't have those shipped or they will arrive broken half of the time.) This will keep your coffee warmer longer but I wouldn't take to long to drink it lest it not be hot enough for you.

Good luck in any case.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 29, 2010
Verified Purchase
I had the identical unit for several years, when the crafe broke I did a little searching and found this one which I immediately ordered.

I love this little coffee maker. It's compact and user friendly - the smoked water tank is easy to see through, the lid lifts open easily and there's room to pour the water unobstructed, the coffee receptacle swings out of the way and each of these operations can be done with one hand. It has a valve to allow serving while brewing but the mechanism is a little delicate which makes swinging the coffee receptacle open one handed a little fiddly but nothing like say the Mr Coffee. My old one was a cast-off and that valve mechanism was broken when I got it but I loved the compact size and excellent coffee it made so while I kept shopping for replacements I never found one I liked better. I live on a sailboat so space is a premium and this little unit fits in perfectly.

The power switch and water tank graduations are on the right side, the water tank lid is accessible from either side but the coffee receptacle swings open to the left. If it swung to the right the unit could be placed sideways - this and the fiddly valve lever are the only negatives and overall they're extremely trivial.

Uses about 600 watts when brewing and less than half that when warming.

It comes with a plastic grounds basket which lifts out one-handed but for cleanup on a boat I prefer to use Melitta #2 paper filters.
on April 11, 2011
Verified Purchase
This little coffee maker is the ideal coffee maker that I have been searching for:

It makes one or two cups (the American style cup) quickly and easily.

Filter holder is cone shaped. This design ensures optimal coffee saturation and extraction than the basket shaped ones. Most coffee makers in the States use basket shaped holder, I tried a few, and they were horrible, and I decided to avoid them.

It uses type 2 cone paper filters. The permanent filter works great as well. I never liked permanent filters before, because too much coffee grounds would go through. However, this permanent filter works surprisingly well, I think it is a better design. I do not like to dump the grounds into my sink, they can be scooped out with a tea spoon effortlessly and the whole thing cleans easily.

It is very easy to pour the water into the water reservoir, and the water indicator are clearly marked and see.

This little thing is so compact and hardly use much precious counter space.

I have a small Keurig coffee maker also, but I find the k-cups are limited in selection and too expensive. I find that this little coffee maker perhaps makes better coffees, and almost as convenient to use. I subscribe to Gevalia grounded coffees, and it works very well with this machine.

Some people indicate that the filter holder is hard to open, if you gently press down the right side knob, it will easily swing out.

Some people may like boiling hot coffees like the ones from McDonalds, and I don't. I think this machine makes good tasting coffee with the right temperature for me.

I had Braun coffee makers before, and loved it. I do not think that they make them anymore. It is really frustrating for me to simply finding a good basic coffee makers. I tried Kalorik, liked the design, but hate the plastic taste which never went away.

I do not know the durability of this and how long this machine will last, nonetheless, it meets my needs perfectly. I ordered two more just for spare.
Verified Purchase
It sounds like a Percolator coffee pot without the price & it makes a great 4 cups of coffee in a hurry.
on July 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
Just got my 4 cup Continental coffee maker today. I've all ready brewed a pot, and am quit pleased. I like the permanent filter. True, you should dump it right after the coffees done, but I didn't find that any big deal. I just dumped the ground in my garbage can, washed out the filter and replaced it it the unit. Good as new. I like the 4 cup capacity. I won't need to keepmy pot on all day. I can make more coffee later in the day if I want some. This coffe pot gets a 5 star from me. Thanks!
on July 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
Coffeemaker operates very well -- serves up a hot cup or two quickly -- and it looks good, too. Inclusion of filter gives you a money-saving option if you don't want to pay for paper filters. Highly recommended
on June 20, 2011
Verified Purchase
Finding a decent 4cup coffee-maker these days seems to be an impossibility. The problem was locating one with a cone basket rather than the flat bottom (which makes awfully weak coffee, btw).
After trying several failures (most of which either were weak or tasted like the plastic they were made of) I gave Continental a try. Terrific.
Hot coffee and it doesn't turn itself off (which I like since my second cup isn't for a couple hours after my first....but some safety minded people would think differently).
Downside: the carafe can dribble water sometimes while filling the water reservoir, but when you get the angle right, it's good.
Other downside: the automatic seal on the basket came undone so i can't pour a cup while it's still brewing, otherwise coffee everywhere.
But it's still better than anything else out there, and this replaces a Krup that I had for years, but whose carafe broke -- good luck replacing that!
Nice job. Worth the price.
so much so i ordered a second one to have on hand just in case the inevitable happens. (and yes, i know that's oxymoronic).
on January 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
Overall not a bad coffee maker, I like the permanent filter and it is easy to use and clean. Great size considering I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and I telecommute for work. Larger sizes would mean drinking way too much coffee ;o)

On the negative side, I can't seem to pour the first cup without spilling some, and freshly brewed the coffee is not hot enough for my liking, it is lukewarm and I end up needing to put it in the microwave to warm up. Later cups are warmer as they heat up gradually while the pot sits on the heating plate.

I paid about $8 for this, so I guess I can't complain...
on April 15, 2012
Verified Purchase
I received the Continental Electric CE23589 4 cup coffee maker this past week and have made about 6 pots of great-tasting coffee so far (using Folgers). I am quite happy with it, all told.

It arrived on time (Prime overnight $3.99 s/h) the day after my 3rd Black and Decker monster truck coffee maker in 3 years bit the dust. I decided to go with a different brand that was smaller, well-rated and was not expensive. Coming out of the box, I was a bit taken back. SO TEENY TINY looking! We immediately nicknamed it the EZBake Coffee Maker. I was dubious but open-minded and prepped it by running 2 tanks of water through it as instructed.

What I noticed right away was how much more counter space we had with this new model. I also liked the clear water tank with the well-marked water levels. The permanent cone filter is easy to dump used grounds out of and wash/rinse out. The 4-cup carafe is sturdy and well-fitting. The coffee is hot and tastes great (we use Brita filter water right out of the fridge).

I also appreciate that the carafe pours the coffee into my cup without leaking or dripping. Our Black n Deckers were notorious for the sloppy pouring. You do have to be careful when pouring, but if you are, you get a perfect pour and no mess. LOVE THAT. (I read some reviews here that complain about dripping, and I have to think, you are not doing it right. Sorry, but it does work well for me.)

And because this is a 4-cupper, I am wasting less coffee in the pot. Reheating coffee in the microwave is nasty, but I'd been doing it to not waste it with my bigger capacity machines. Thank you for freeing me from that!

All in all, I can say right now that if this lasts only as long as my Black n Deckers did (about a year each), it was money well spent. So, we are having fun calling this our EZBake, but it's fun to play, so why not? These days, whatever makes me smile, I'm on it!

ADDED January 14, 2013: I'm still using this little gem every day, and it works just like the first day I had it. Just wanted to add that I've lately begun making only a 2-cup pot using 3 tbsp of coffee. This amount fills one of my tall mugs, so I am really making myself one serving of coffee at a time. I am also using a coffee filter because I eventually got tired of cleaning out the permanent filter each time. (I retrofit a Mr. Coffee filter by cutting an inch off it around the edge.) I am becoming more discerning in my coffee tastes, and making more than what is immediately consumed makes the remaining coffee taste bitter. At first I thought I'd have to buy another coffee maker to accomodate my changed procedures, but this one adapts great. And, I also discovered that when the carafe holds only two cups, the pouring is perfect -- no dripping, I don't even have to be careful and pour slowly anymore.

See 1 answered question