on July 17, 2008
Color Name: Midnight
FM reception is good, sound is good (well, make that great for the price range), *very* easy and tactically pleasant to use (set alarm, etc.)

Boston Acoustics Horizon I-Duo Volume limit problem: Mine came with "hospitality mode" enabled, and volume would not go past 19. To fix: turn on unit, turn volume all the way down to 00, push and hold volume button for 10 seconds until beep then release, then turn volume all the way up to 50 (max) and push and release volume button.

After one email to Boston Acoustics support, I received a courteous response within 12 hours with instructions.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 14, 2008
Color Name: Midnight
I owned the BA Receptor (or "Recepter") and loved it---the rich deep bass, the sensitive tuner, the easy alarm settings...and hated it: no earphone jack, no Remote, no pushbutton presets and, worst of all--no STEREO.

While the new BA Solo addresses some of these deficiencies, the Solo is still only monophonoic...nice sounding to be sure, but missing that fullness that only Stereo brings. Also the Solo still uses a dial as a preset station selector and not dedicated preset buttons, which I prefer.

The Receptor--and the Solo, I'm told--are very sensitive receivers...which is a mono tuner's saving grace...noise is always much lower on a mono FM signal. They work great with the supplied 3 foot-long pigtail wire supplied. They don't need much of a signal to pull in stations. NOT SO with FM stereo radios--you need a stronger signal from a good antenna for best results. With my sample, THE DUO WOULD NOT LOCK INTO STEREO MODE WITH THE SUPPLIED ANTENNA! And since there is no "Stereo" indicator or LED to confirm it, you can't be *sure* the Duo is really getting stereo, unless you plug in heaphones and CHECK by ear. Another indication the Duo has an insensitive (or improperly set) Stereo detector is the fact that THE SEEK FUNCTION DOES NOT STOP on any stations while using the supplied antenna. It just keeps scanning. Now, I'm using the Duo on the top floor of a 2-story house where my myriad other radios need no help in getting FM stereo...I dont even need to extend the telescoping antenna on my Sangean PR-D5 to get stereo, for example. So something is definitely wrong with the Duo...it's design is flawed, or the FM Stereo section is improperly aligned. Once I connected a powered pair of rabbit ears, the Duo came alive--like a Receptor on Steroids-- and gave gorgeous room filling 2-channel sound. SO YOU MUST USE AN EXTERNAL FM ANTENNA to get this baby to bloom! Then you will be in audio Nirvana.

--Ipod sound is INCREDIBLE. May be one of the best-sounding ipod-docking units available for the price. It even has a VIDEO OUT jack.

--Did not notice the "5-minute Loss" problem or the low level last station problem reported for the BA Solo.

--It is very immune to PC interference. I put it right next to my monitor.

Other quirks:
--It loses the 5 AM presets when unplugged, but not the 10 FM presets! Wha??
--Blue backlight can be seen to "flash" slightly light & dark for a few seconds after power is turned off. Just weird.
--AM reception is also variable, sensitivity-wise. This is the only radio I have that picks up noise with KFI (local 50KWatter) but can still get KGO 810 in San Francisco OK. Again, like the FM SEEK function, the AM SEEK function doesn't stop on many stations.

My advice: spend the extra $50-$70 for the Duo-i model (now selling for about $150-160). With its ipod-docking capability it is much more than just a clock radio. It is a hi-fi component in its own right.

UPDATE: BA contacted me and arranged to take the Duo back & replace it. They sent me a 2nd Duo sample. Very quick response! Good to see a company respond to consumer feedback so quicky.
The Good News: The 1st sample definitely had reception problems. The replacement "seeks" fine and gets all the FM stations of interest in STEREO with the supplied pigtail FM antenna. No need for an external antenna unless you want the most distant stations.
-AM reception is more sensitive now, but I am not able to compare to a Solo. 1150 has no bleedthough from 1070 KNX, like the Sangean. It is very AM-directional, which can be good (for DXing) or bad (not all stations you want will come in strong with the radio fixed in one position on your table). Nightime AM DXing is to yet to be checked.
The Bad News: Still loses the 5 AM presets, but not FM, when AC is interrupted. This must be a design issue. But I can live with this, as power is rarely lost in my house. And it won't affect the alarm operation.
-Still "smells." Hope it dissipates with time.

Otherwise, I'd say it now matches or surpasses the sound and performance of the Solo, since they essentially use the same tuner, according to BA. And the ipod playback capability and remote control and preset buttons and stereo sound are just icing on the cake! My favorite radio now.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 17, 2008
for the last few years i have heard multiple ipod speakers - altec lansing, bose, klipsch, jbl etc. but have never found any which could compare to a regular portable music system. they all sound like ipod speakers.

around 2 years back i bought an altec lansing inmotion portable speaker for my ipod. i knew that it couldn't compare with my regular music system - it didn't. but it was portable and so ...

four months back i bought a jbl radial high performance speaker for my ipod. it was heads above my portable altec lansing. pretty good sound - but still not comparable to a regular music system. and at low volumes the sound is lifeless.

last week i came upon the boston acoustics duo-i in sears. i have a high opinion of the capabilities of the company and wanted to demo it. but didn't have an ipod on me and thought i will come back with it and test it out later.

but couple of days back to my surprise my wife presented me with it. it is much heavier than the jbl. i hooked it up, attached my ipod and yea it is good. sound is much fuller than jbl, even in lower volumes. the bass is also quite impressive. this is the first time i have heard an ipod speaker sound something close to a regular music system. i'm impressed.

i have a bose wave music system (the smaller one) and in my opinion the sound of the duo-i is better than that - at less than half the cost! though ofcourse the bose wave has a built in cd player.
on June 16, 2008
Color Name: MistVerified Purchase
I love this unit's sound. Some may find the bass "boomy," but it's adjustable and responds well to the EQ settings in the iPod itself, so no real problems there. I found the receiver more than adequate; it allowed me to pull and hold stations I didn't know were available on my mid-Pennsylvania dial. I also love the multiple-setting dimmer and the light sensor. My big, BIG complaints have more to do with build quality than anything else. So far, in the span of a month and a half, I've gone through two units. The first one's alarm clock/snooze bar went haywire. Everytime I touched it, it would cycle up to its maximum snooze time of 60 minutes, and if you're a heavy sleeper like me, this can be quite an inconvenience. The second replacement unit's volume control and remote didn't work when my iPod was docked, so now it's going back. Hopefully, the third will work just fine. If not, as much as I like the Duo i and Boston Acoustics, I'm throwing in the towel and buying something else...maybe the Bose...maybe something else. Anyone have any recommendations?
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 8, 2009
Color Name: Mist
Up until a few months ago, I was living happily with an XtremeMac Luna iPod clock radio, which worked perfectly with my 60GB iPod Photo. It woke me up reliably (and gently), and played music with pretty good sound quality (although radio reception left something to be desired). Looked good on the night table, too. Then, I had the opportunity to get the newest iPod classic (120GB). Got it, loved it (you can find my review of it elsewhere here), and happily passed on the Photo to Significant Other.

All was well until I slid the classic into the Luna's dock. It would still play music though the Luna, but the alarm function became terribly erratic: sometimes the alarm system would awaken me to music, sometimes to the alarm buzzer, regardless of what setting was used. What started as a minor annoyance get more annoying with time...if it didn't matter at all to me, I wouldn't have bothered with getting the Luna in the first place (which turned out not to be the easiest thing to track down and buy). After a few months of this, I decided it was time to sell it (preferably to someone with at least a slightly older iPod), and move on to something else.

"Something else" turned out to be something of an adventure. The iPod clock-radio market is a weird one: there's an almost frightening array of brands and models, from craptastic-cheap to I'd-mortgage-my-house-for-one-if-my-house-was-still-worth-anything expensive. The craziest thing is that price doesn't necessarily tell you anything about what something sounds like, or how useful it is on the nightstand. (That is, IF it fits on that stand: I checked out units from Denon, Polk Audio and a few others that struck me as oversized and over-buttoned...and let's just skip the price tags on them too.)

Then, among the more mild-mannered models, there were these head-scratchers:

- Sony's XDR-510HDIP HD Radio with iPod Dock: This looked so promising, and I was hoping Sony was finally pulling itself up from its near-decade-long product-development nosedive while Apple proceeded to clean their clock. No dice: firstly, where in Hades is the Snooze button/bar? A few might say that this unit isn't *really* marketed as a clock radio...but, (1) it has a clock, and (2) an alarm system, which works in tandem with an iPod. Secondly, the illuminated display can't be shut completely off. I don't care what the manufacturer regards as a "dim" setting for the display; Significant Other has vetoed several models for being too bright...and the units were on MY side of the bed. If it doesn't go out, it doesn't come in...to the house, that is. Sony isn't quite the House That Akio Built anymore

- Logitech Pure-Fi Dream: Another unit I had high hopes for, given my satisfaction with other products from them. Things got off to a bad start when, stopping off at an Apple Store to try one out, I encountered a dead demo unit, and they couldn't roll out a replacement. Not too confidence inspiring, but I managed to check out a working unit elsewhere. The sound was great, but the display was awful: not only am I not too fond of orange backlighting, this unit, like the Sony, cannot be completely turned off...if anything, it was BRIGHTER at its "minimum" setting than the Sony. Pass.

- iHome IP99: The first iPod clock radio I ever purchased was an iHome IP7. It went back the following day because-you guessed it-the thing was bright as Christmas at night. They got this issue licked in subsequent models, including the '99. But the '99's almost-Luna-like rotary controls are terrible...wobbly, cheap-feeling, and difficult to use. Sound was sub-par compared to the Luna. The sad thing is, this appears to be iHome's best offering, IMO.

- XtremeMac Luna X2: The obvious heir-apparent, which was MIA well over a year after its announcement, which wasn't a good sign. Worse than that, in the time between the X2's announcement and its eventual shipping in small numbers a short time ago, (1) XtremeMac was bought by Imation, (2) XtremeMac's founder and president abruptly resigned and left the company, and (3) there were discouraging reports from a few too many of the few people who've actually gotten their hands on an X2. Going by my own version of the 60/40 rule, I had to scratch this off my list as well...assuming I could even find one.

This brings me to the Boston Acoustics Horizon Duo-i. When I first saw a picture of it, I almost immediately dismissed it out-of-hand...it just looked huge and bulky next to something svelte like the Luna. The problem was, the old Luna doesn't do it for my anymore, the new Luna is starting to sound like a kneecapped second act, and everything *else* roughly bearing that form factor was often even worse.

What brought me back to trying the Duo-i was the company behind it. In another lifetime, I sold a lot of Boston Acoustics loudspeakers as a high-end audio salesperson, and I always had a good feeling about the company. the reps were straight-shooters, and so were the products: no obscure techno-BS dazzle, just good, solid-thinking design and build quality. I wanted to believe they still maintained these qualities, so I turned around and decided to give the Duo-i a shot.

Glad I did. The Duo-i is not only an extraordinary product in its category, but also an object lesson in remembering what a given product is actually going to be used FOR, not just a laundry list of "features" dreamed up by Marketing in an overheated bull-session and shoved down the Product Manager's throat. This product works and feels like the entire product team had to take a working prototype and actually *use* it in their homes for a few weeks before signing off on its design. It's clear to me that above-room-temperature IQs still prevail at BA.

Let's start with the form-factor thing. Yes, the Duo-i is noticeably taller than many competing units, but not all: and, what these few larger-sized models have in common is speaker-driver size, which makes itself apparent as soon as you fire the thing up. But I'm getting ahead of myself here: in spite of the added height, the Duo-i is somewhat less imposing than pictures on a Web page might lead you to believe. Granted, the unit is by no means small: if you find it tough to fit your old Westclox Big Ben back on the table after winding it, some serious adjustment is in order. But if you're replacing another iPod clock radio, the change should be relatively manageable.

The payoff is definitely worth it, starting with The Sound. The Cliff Notes version goes like this: the Duo-i kicks the Luna, and most every other iPod clock radio I've demo'd, clean to the curb, not merely in terms of quantity of bass, but quality: no mere boom-boom-boom, but tight, articulate bass, the kind of bass you'd take as read from a company steeped in hi-fi loudspeaker experience. I was reminded of the first time I heard a KLH table radio, the first table radio with hi-fi credentials in the 1960s. (This is important, because BA's lineage can be traced back through companies like Advent, KLH, and Acoustic Research, among others.) Listening intently to music in the bedroom, from a Peter Pettinger album of Elgar piano music via my iPod classic, a little Nirvana *Unplugged* afterward, or Billie Holiday via radio (WKCR in New York is finishing up a Birthday music marathon in her honor right now), there is a fullness and depth, and a sense of ease, in the music's presentation that's hard to put into words...but I like to believe you'd know what I mean when you hear it. The Duo-i should just about hold its own with all but the most outrageous dedicated iPod-based amplifier/speaker systems.

But those outrageous amp/speaker systems (one of them tube-based...you know who I mean) won't wake you up in the morning. They aren't designed for that. The Duo-i is.

With a nod to the aforementioned KLH table radio, the Duo-i has three control knobs that dominate the center control panel. With a nod to the 21st Century, these are multi-purpose: they push in, button-style, to execute several functions, which are quite intuitive. There are all of seven buttons on the front panel, five of which are radio station presets. (The other two control the function of the two separate alarms.)

The alarm system is straightforward. The Duo-i doesn't have separate weekday/weekend alarm settings, nor does it have a Playlist option for waking up to your iPod. (Neither of these is an issue for me, but your needs may differ.) Otherwise, the system is about as comprehensive as one would want. Control layout is superb: no phalanx of buttons in bewildering arrays. As sophisticated as the Duo-i controls are, these strike me as about as intuitive as I've come across, even compared to the Luna, which is high praise indeed.

About the remote control: frankly, it reminds me of remotes from certain other iPod clock radios. That being said, it's well thought-out, and has the added feature of a magnetic back that allows it to be "stored" against either of the Duo-i's metal speaker grilles, a small but nice move). The remote is IR-based, so you have to be within sight of the Duo-i to control it. On the other hand, you won't have to worry about somebody's keyless-entry car door system triggering your radio on in the middle of the night. (Go ahead...ask me how I know this.)

Now, about those "hidden" functions: a few reviewers here have mentioned the problem of some Duo-i units not being able to play music above a certain volume level. Turns out that there's a "hospitality" setting that limits the volume to a preset level. There happens to be an undocumented "fix" for this, as described in at least one other review here (the owner got this from BA tech support, which happens to be quite good: read on).

The hidden feature I'm about to describe regards what I thought to be the one remaining major "flaw" in the Duo-i's design: the ability to completely extinguish the backlit display when going to sleep. Way too many iPod clock radios are sorely lacking in this regard: when it's time for "lights out", there's that damned display, either glaring at you directly or reflecting off the wall or the like. The Duo-i display, with 21 (count `em!) levels of brightness control, could get *really* low, but, to my mind, not quite low enough...S.O. might have signed off on it as being "good enough", but I was worried. So, yesterday morning, I called up tech support to try and get some answers. I was told that, if I unplugged the unit from the back, then plugged the power cord back in *while pushing and holding in* the "Alarm 2" button, I could access the brightness calibration function (controlled via the "Tune" knob). This allows one to set the minimum brightness level of the display...including having the display go totally dark at its lowest setting!. Perfection.

Speaking of tweakability: on the back of the unit, besides useful input/output jacks (did I mention that the Duo-i has a headphone jack, which allows you to listen to music while your main squeeze sleeps in peace? Do we have to start handing out Nobels before more companies get a clue about this?), the Duo-i has a mini-USB port. This means that the unit's software/firmware can likely be updated as needed, making the Duo-i at least a bit more obsolescence-proof than the next company's offering. If the Luna had this sort of forward-thinking design, I wouldn't be forced to sell it.)

Finally: the Duo-i has an honest-to-goodness threaded coax connector in back. Importance? You can hook the thing up to a REAL antenna for serious FM reception. Which isn't to say the tuner section needs a lot of help: it's quite good with the supplied wire antenna, but the system comes into its own when connected to a something more serious. (I have mine connected to the hard-to-find and wonderful Technics SH-F101 tabletop antenna, and it's all I could ask for in terms of quality FM reception.)

About the only fault I can find with the Duo-i is that, now that I can get the display to completely darken at night, there's no straightforward way to illuminate the display momentarily in the middle of the night without turning on a night light near it (the Duo-i has a sensor which automatically dims the display when the ambient light in the room decreases). The Luna could do this with the push of a button; this the only instance where the Luna excels.

To sum up, the Boston Acoustics Duo-i is possibly the best-thought-out iPod clock radio I've ever come across. Sound quality, logical control layout, input/output versatility, and just plain all-around *livability*, I'd say it's close to impossible to top. Of course, the bar has been set by a company with decades of experience, not just a handful of years. Experience still counts for something.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 14, 2008
Color Name: Midnight
Compared to the mediocre unit that the Boston Acoustics device replaced (by Homedics, and not much cheaper than the BA version) the sound is fantastic. Clear at any volume, without hiss or whine. Having a headphone jack at the front is nice as well. Since I put this clock-radio high on a bureau, I also prefer rotating dials on the front of the unit to repeatedly having to hit flat buttons, or reach to the top of the unit to spin a dial.
The best feature, though, is the digital interface, which is cleverly designed. First you spin a dial to choose the function (ipod, FM, clock adjust, alarm adjust, etc.) then a second dial to adjust that function. It cuts down on the number of buttons needed, and the screen is easy to read. I'm very pleased with this unit.
on December 15, 2008
Color Name: Midnight
My number one comlaint about alarm clocks these days is that they all look like after-market car stereos or hello kitty trinkets, and even the best ones sound awful. For me, this unit solves those issues and more. Its appearence sets well in an upscale adult environment and it sounds better than anything else I've owned. I've owned the bose sound dock and others - none come close to providing what this unit does. I'm especially fond of having two aux's plus ipod mode. That means I can stream music to it with an airport express, use it with an ipod, as a radio, or to boost the bedroom tv audio, all without having to switch cables around. The only thing I would warn about is Boston's customer service. I've dealt with them a few times and it's a circus to say the least. One is left feeling like he just dealt with a small town used carpet store. If you want customer service buy Bose, if you want a SERIOUS ipod alarm clock radio in the bedroom that doesn't look like it belongs in your teenager's bedroom, look no further.
on December 12, 2008
Color Name: Midnight
Beautiful accurate sound. Unbelievable bass and clarity in such a tiny box. The tuner is just as sensitive as everyone says. There are several distant (30 miles) marginal stations (one of them competes with a nearby powerhouse), but now I get those weaker ones clearly (when I get the antenna wire positioned well). But beware the hospitality mode! Mine arrived with the max vol set to 20, but holding down the power/volume button while set to 00 until it beeped allowed be to take it all the way to 50, and it about blew my ears off! This is not documented in the manual. Thanks to those who posted this solution. This radio is also packed with features (dual inputs, RCA output, headphone jack, dual alarms, radio presets) and very easy to use. I'm very very happy.
on April 27, 2009
Color Name: Midnight
This is an excellent table radio. It sounds great. But it has a few problem. Even though it has a clock it is not much of a clock radio. The problems are:
1) When the radio is on the station shows on the display and the clock disappears. If you wake to radio you can't tell what time it is unless you turn the radio off.
2) The only time you can "snooze" the radio is when it first comes on and the volume is ramping up. You cannot listen for a minute and then "snooze" it for a while.
3) If you touch anything but the snooze bar it will not go into snooze mode. For example, while the volume is ramping up if you adjust the volume you switch off snooze and cannot use it again until the next alarm cycle.
4) To adjust settings you must select the menu items that appear around the periphery of the display. They are hard to read.
5) The radio goes into Hospitality mode by itself at random times. This limits the volume. It is not hard to reset but is a nuisance.
6) You cannot select anything on an iPod with the remote. You can only start and stop it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2008
Color Name: Midnight
I use the Duo-i in my office, and it's the best sounding iPod and FM radio speakers I can recall ever hearing, at any price. I don't use the alarm clock functions, so can't comment on that, but the most important feature for me is audio quality - and Duo-i supremely succeeds! The clarity and warmth is impressive at low and high volumes, and the Duo-i has bass and treble controls which you can use to fine tune the sound to your taste. The remote works well and I use the Duo-i with an 80GB iPod and iPhone 3G. The units charges both, and I also use the Aux 2 input on the back to play music from my Macbook. Compared to the Bose Soundock, the Duo-i sounds much better, far less "canned", has bass and treble controls and costs less! I've tried several other iPod speakers, and the Duo-i is a fantastic-sounding unit and a good value. You won't be disappointed.

EDIT - After a few days, I was disappointed to learn that the Duo-i doesn't fully support the iPhone. I didn't have the "buzzing" sound, and airplane mode made no difference, but when listening at low volumes, or during the silence between songs, there's a "fluttering" kind of sound. It exists whenever there's an iPhone in the dock, and you can hear it when listening to any source. It comes and goes, and if the volume's up a moderate amount, you can't hear it. I heard it when listening to FM radio, and it went away when I removed the iPhone mid-song. It bummed me out, and bothered me enough to return it for a JBL 200ID. I stand my my review above for FM and iPod playback, and it really does sound fantastic.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations