Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ideal My First Magic Set
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 26, 2012
I first want to say that I purchased this for my son who was almost 4 at the time, and now he is 4 1/2...
Being a professional magician, you can imagine that my curious little one is always wanting to play with mommy's props!

I have purchased a TON of children's magic sets (anything that looked half way decent) for him to try and this one has some very unusual tricks that you just don't find in most magic sets- and that really impressed me!
2 of my favorites are:
The Lollipop Trick
The Block Through Wand
These are both professional style tricks so I was pleased to find them in my son's kit!
However, please know that the recommended age of 4+ is a little of a stretch... Will he grow into this set? Yes!

How many tricks can he perform (successfully) on his own from this set?
* The Drawer Box (this is the easiest operation of a drawer box I have ever seen- and the only one that he can operate with his little fingers- so that made me very happy)
* The Puzzle (which is simple and cute)
* The Boomerangs (which is simple and classic)
* The Sliding Picture (which is flimsy, not great)
* Vanishing Crayons (which is cute, and combines great with the Drawer Box where you can make the crayons reappear)
and he almost has the Ball and Vase down (another classic).

The lollipop, block through wand, and color cube are a little too advanced-- but he loves to watch me perform them-- and he loves to try! That is all that really matters anyway, right?
BTW, the included instructional DVD is wonderful!
I highly recommend this set to any child to introduce the fun of magic and performing-- especially if they are 4+ (just know that they may not be ready for it ALL at 4- but they will be able to do most of it) and if they are 6+ I'm sure they could whiz right through the whole set!
I picked up a super cute magician's costume Deluxe Magician Costume Set, Small for him and he loves to perform for all of our family and friends- it is the cutest thing!!

If you want to add a few more easy tricks to your child's aresenal (for age 4+) so they can perform a show...
in addition to this set, I highly recommend: a Change Bag Blue Velvet Magic Zipper Change Bag with a Mahogany Style Handle (this is a classic, super easy, and super versatile- just remember to pick up some silk hankys to go inside like the Flag Blendo set- USA FLAG BLENDO, a Coin Slide Coin Slide, Color Changing Hanky Magic Makers Color Changing Hanky , Rabbit out of the Hat Kid's Magician Hat w/Rabbit- this is very versatile since they can make all kinds of things appear from the hat, and Magic Coloring Book Royal Magic Coloring Book - Easy Magic Trick, and my son's ALL-TIME-FAVORITE: Appearing Flower Melissa & Doug Magic Flowering Pot
All of these extras are very inexpensive and will give your child many extra tricks that are TOTALLY age appropriate!

For older kids like 7-8+ I highly recommend Fantasma Deluxe Legends Set Fantasma Toys Super Deluxe Legends of Magic DVD Set super great stuff in there too!
Have fun and don't forget to tell the kidos, "Magicians never reveal their secrets!"
44 comments| 362 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2009
My 6 yr old son loves this kit - the big deal is the DVD that's included which really helped him learn the method of the tricks as well as the mannerisms of a real magician. He wants his next kit asap.
on February 5, 2010
Got this magic set for my 6 year old son for Christmas, and he loves it. The DVD makes learning the tricks very easy, and several are so good he fooled a few of his adult friends until he showed them how they were done. Great product for novice magicians!
on August 20, 2013
This is a great starter kit for a budding magician. Our 6 year old got it for his birthday and absolutely loves it. There are a number of simple and easy props for tricks in the box as well as a DVD that walks you though each of the tricks step-by-step. We couldn't be happier.
on March 29, 2009
I would recommend this product to anyone! The dvd instructions are very easy to follow. My little nephew loves it!
on January 2, 2011
My seven year old has really enjoyed this kit. Some of the tricks are a little tough for her to grasp, but she's getting better with practice. I really like that the kit comes with an instructional dvd, it's very helpful.

A few of the magic tricks even fooled my husband, especially the disappearing crayons. It was pretty amusing watching a first grader fool a grown man. : )
on April 29, 2013
I bought this set for my four year old who loves magic. Although he is a little young to do most of the tricks by himself, he loves it and he doesn't mind us helping him. The tricks are great and even our adult friends are impressed by them!
on December 30, 2015
So cute! My son is 7 almost 8 and these are perfect for his age. He has already wowed us with the disappearing ball, dissappearing candy, and guess the color trick. We have practiced them with him so we know what's happening. The directions are clear and consise and easy to follow. Today he did it for his little sister and she was so enthralled and gave him the best ooo's and ahhh's. He was so excited and can't wait to do them for the rest of the family.
on December 2, 2014
Bought this for my 5 year-old who was into magic. It is PERFECT! It seemed like every other magic set was either so complex it was way over his head or was cheap and ridiculous. This was just what I was looking for. He loves to show his friends his "magic show" now. The DVD is well-done as well. There are around 20 tricks, but in the end my son seems to default to about 5-7 of his favorite tricks, so I don't think you would need any more than that for this age. I was also pleasantly surprised with the quality. I mean, don't expect it to be professional-grade or anything, but it was definitely better than what I was expecting.
on February 9, 2016
I bought this for my 5 year old nephew and he loves it! Some of the tricks are a little tough for him but there were many that he was performing pretty instantly out of the box. Some of the items are made a little cheap, but for the price I think it was all well worth it. I would buy it again.