Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Phillips SHN2500: Active Noise Canceling Earbuds
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 14, 2009
I purchased the SHN2500 Noise Canceling Earbuds about a year ago. I primarily use them when mowing the lawn, so I don't have a wide variety of experiences to relate. However, when using them with a gas-powered mower, I found it to be remarkable how much they reduced the sound of the mower. Without the mp3 player turned on at all, the mower noise all but disappeared; as in, I could barely tell that the mower was even running. With the mp3 player turned on, the device does, in fact, increase the volume of the mp3 output. But with the noise canceling turned on, I could set the volume of the mp3 player to a much lower level than usual and still hear the music quite well.

So, here's my summary; for lawn mowing, these things seem to work great. No, they don't just cover up the noise by turning up the volume. They can be used without the mp3 player turned on, and the reduction in noise volume is remarkable. I find them comfortable, and the sound quality is fine for me. I'm no audiophile, so I can't comment further on sound quality. As with all earbuds I've used, the cord is too short to wrap around behind me to keep it from getting caught up in my work; I've had the cord snag on the lawn mower handle as I'm turning a corner and rip the buds out of my ears.

Now, here's something to check; make sure you have a fresh battery in the unit, and make sure you have flicked the switch that turns the sound canceling on. Just because you're hearing the mp3 player doesn't mean the sound canceling is turned on. I'm not saying anyone in these reviews has done that, I'm just advising folks that might overlook that.

Do these earbuds work in every noisy environment? I have no idea. But if they're not working for you, consider the possibilities of a dead battery, a switch turned off, or a defective unit. Hey, crank up your lawn mower and see if they work! If not, I would be very suspicious that something is wrong with your particular pair. Do I think these work as well as a $$$ unit? Not a chance. But for this price, they actually work better than I expected.
on March 24, 2009
I was intrigued by the design, with the noise-canceling electronics separate from the speakers. I also work in a moderately loud environment, and was hoping to use these to cancel out equipment noise. The noise canceling properties of these are decent, due to the active electronics and the snug fit in the ear canal.

I tested them for two hours with the noise-canceling turned on and at the lowest detectable volume (1 or 2 on my mp3 player with 1 being the lowest setting). The end result was a terrible ear-strain headache for over 6 hours! I've worn in-ear buds in the past without any problems, and generally don't get long-lasting headaches.

I might exchange these for an over-the-ear model, but I cannot recommend these under any circumstances.
on June 6, 2010
I bought my first pair about two years ago and was reasonably pleased with the comfort, sound and noise reduction (I mostly use them when I mow the lawn.) My one complaint is that in less than a year the sound disappeared from on ear. I bought a second pair (both pairs were purchased at Walmart for around $20.00) and again in less than a year, the same failure occurred of loosing the sound from on ear bud. They would be great if they just lasted a bit longer.
on August 7, 2009
I use these headphones while riding the bus or airplane and they are great for drowning out the background noise. I also like them for using while I'm mowing the lawn - they make almost all the lawnmower noise disappear. I've tried using normal headphones in these places and I need to turn up the volume so loud to be able to hear the music. With these headphones, the volume can be significantly lower and the sound is great.
on February 4, 2011
I haven't even been able to try whether the noise cancelling works on this or not. They have a very heavy control in the middle of the cord where the battery goes and it's just impossible to keep the earbuds in my ear. Not very convenient even though it comes with three sets of different ear buds to accomodate different sizes of ears. I would choose an over the ear type better.
on October 3, 2010
With a fresh battery, and the bulky unit supported, they sounded good. The noise suppression worked well. While watching HDTV loud sounds were masked completely.
But the wiring is flimsy. Within a short period of time, the connection degraded. At first, gently adjusting the position restored connection. But only for a while. Finally, they ceased to function. Out of warranty, of course. And there was no way to rewire them without destroying the unit.
I do not recommend this model, and would be wary of the durability of thin wiring on other Phillips models.
on May 24, 2010
May I ask what idiot designer thought it would be a good idea to have a weight (the noise cancelling unit) dangling freely half way between the headphone and the jack?

The noise cancelling unit is relatively heavy and doesn't have a clip so it just dangles midway between the headphone & the mp3 player. So if you wear these standing up, the weight of the noise cancelling unit tugs on the headphones & pulls them out of your ears.

Therefore, unless I am sitting down on a bus or wearing a shirt with a pocket I have to hold onto the unit to allow the headphones to serve their functional purpose. (What's the point of noise cancelling functionality if the headphones are only semi in your ears)

These headphones cost me 34. For that amount of money I would expect them to be an improvement over the generic headphones that I was using.... they are not, unless I am sitting down & rest the unit on my torso.

When I am sitting down I must admit that they are quite effective. However, it is hard to tell if is as result of a genuine noise cancelling effect or if it is the result of me wedging the headphones into my ears or from a signal boost due to the battery unit. The packaging said up to 70% noise reduction, I'm not sure if I would agree with that. 70% is alot of noise!

To summarise, if they had cost me 4 & not 34 I would have immediately dumped them and bought a new pair. Unfortunately, having spent the money I will hold onto them for the time being, however ridiculously designed they are.
on January 30, 2010
I bought the product from Amazon and asked for it to be shipped to the hotel in NYC i was planning to come to. the shippment was quick and as promised with no issues at all!!
as for the product it is a very good product with a very good price, for me it is less convenient from headphones as it is annoying in the ear but it is not related to the product itself but to this type of headset and my personal sensetivity.

it has very good quality of sound i'm using it for flights with my BB as the music player and it is perfect.

maybe the 100$ products are even better (don't know never tested them) but for 20$ it is a bargain! i recommend it for people who are seeking for simple easy to carry and not expensive noise cancelation headset for their flights.
on December 26, 2008
The fidelity is marginal, but acceptable. But the active noise reduction is almost non-existent.
on May 27, 2010
I would not recommend buying this product. The active portion of this noise cancellation earphone is housed in a very bulky plastic container, which makes it impossible to be mobile. Furthermore, the cables are very messy to deal with, even when seated to use this device. The worst is of course the non-existent noise cancellation/reduction it is supposed to do.

I ended buying a Klipsch Image S4 which is much more effective. A little bit costlier but at least it will help save my ear drums.