Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Add some ergonomic goodness and/or free up some desk space with this handy keyboard tray.

I'm not a very handy person, but I installed this between 30-40 minutes, which included fetching what tools I do have out of the garage, measuring three times, installation and final setup of keyboard and mouse on the tray.

The product description says this can be installed without "tools". I don't know how they could do that unless they consider a Phillips screwdriver not a tool. Other than my electric screwdriver there wasn't much more I needed for this.

Fits standard keyboard and mouse fine. As you can see my video a gaming keyboard hangs over the side several inches, but that didn't impact me from using those additional keys.

Nice firm wrist pad.

Everything sticks/velcro's down so no shifting around of your keyboard, mouse or wrist pad.

Easy adjustable single knob for tilt and height.

Item seem real metal and hard plastics that will last.

I'm very happy with this item!!
review image
3434 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2011
Verified Purchase
It's a very solid product. Installing it was fairly easy; they include a paper template so you can easily figure out where to drill the holes under the bottom of your desk.

The tray height and tilt (both forward and back tilt) is controlled by one knob; you loosen the knob a little, reposition the tray, and then tighten the knob. Adjusting the tray angle can be a little tricky, but you won't have to do it often once you find an ideal position; from then on you'll just slide the tray in and out (if you slide it at all).

Back-and-forth swiveling action is not adjustable, it's just pretty stiff, so the tray won't swivel unless you definitely intend to swivel it, which I think is good!

The tray includes a gel wrist rest that extends across the entire front, as well as a "3M Precise Mousing Surface" piece of plastic that's about 6x7". Both are optional things you stick onto the tray, adhesive strips are included (though I used carpet tape to attach the wrist rest because it was thinner). I did stick on the mousing surface thing, but I am pretty sure I could have skipped it without missing it.

My only minor complaint is that there is no ridge along the backside of the tray; if you tilt the tray away from you (which is ergonomically recommended), too much tilt could cause your mouse to slide off the back of tray (but on the other hand, if there had been a ridge along the back, the keyboard probably would have had to sit further towards the front of the tray which wouldn't be good either).

The tray is 1/2" thick and made of some kind of very solid composite material. It's about 25.5" wide, and about 11.5" deep in the middle; it tapers so the front is slightly curved and the depth at either end is about 9".

A couple of tips about where to mount it...

First, the instructions say to position the template 1 5/8" from the front edge of your desk before you drill holes, but if you do that the drawer won't retract all the way under the desk - I positioned the template about 3.5" inches back, so the drawer retracts all the way; even with that extra space it can still be pulled out so that about 11" of it extends beyond the desktop, which is more than far enough to get at your keyboard and mouse.

Second, the wider your keyboard, the further towards the left you'll have to sit compared to the center of the tray (assuming you are a righty and you use a mouse on the tray). To compensate for this, consider mounting the tray 3-4" to the right of center compared to the center of your monitor (or just move your monitor a few inches to the left).

P.S. There are only two plastic parts; one is the adjustment knob (attached to a metal bar), the other is a stop you screw under the desk to prevent the tray from sliding all the way out of the track. I don't think this part would wear out unless you were always forcefully sliding the tray out all the way as far as it will go.
on February 3, 2010
Verified Purchase
Having used many keyboard trays throughout the years, I would rate this one at the top of the list. The 3M gel pads are unsurpassed by any other brand I have used and do make a difference in helping to fight fatigue. Unlike some other trays I have used, this one is very sturdy and resists vibrating, moving when typing or mousing. When you consider the cost of this product compared to others, it should be a clear winner.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 2, 2010
I have been experiencing shoulder pain for several months because of poor workstation design, and despite slight adjustments to my positioning, the pain continued. I was also losing some flexibility. I finally spent the money to buy this keyboard tray and I am very glad that I did. My pain has lessened and my flexibility has improved. I'm not back to 100%, but the keyboard tray definitely helped. One tip: Be sure the paper template is 1/2" back from the edge of the desk. You have to drill another pair of holes that are not on the template, and if you drill too close to the edge of your desk, the wood will split.
on December 6, 2009
Verified Purchase
I was concerned that this tray wouldn't be solid enough for gaming, since the mouse is getting moved a bunch and precision is important. If the tray wiggled or moved too easily once locked, it wouldn't work.
This works great! Easy to install, has all the hardware needed, including 3M cable keepers.
on November 7, 2011
Verified Purchase
Probably one of the best out there, especially at this price, but it could be a little better.

The good: Very sturdy, affirmative locking knob, fairly easy to install and adjust.

The less good: Once it is on the desk, it doesn't really drop down that far. If you like your keyboard low (like almost on your lap) I could not get this tray that low. Still, if you like it in a "normal" spot, it goes there.

When installing, remember to remove the template before you screw on the mounting bracket (oops). Also, before you pull the tray slide out for the first time, lower it down a bit. If it sticks on something when you are pulling it out, STOP. You are hitting the corner of the plastic cap on the front side of the bracket that stops the slide from coming ALL the way out. I broke the corner off. Doesn't hurt anything, but it was irritating.

I'd give it 3.5 stars if that was an option.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2010
Verified Purchase
This product is well made, easy to install. The only negative is that the instructions could use a little work.

Be careful of the placement of the track. The template will lead you to put the track too close to the front of the desk for full storage. Take a few minutes to position the track so that you know where the keyboard tray will store. A tip to install is to put a couple of rounds of tape (electrical or masking) on the 1/8" drill bit as a guide so that you do not drill too deep. You only need to drill 1/2 the length of track mounting screws. The screws are very aggressive threads and will easily go in to the desktop with a short pilot hole. Also Make sure you have a #3 Philips Screwdriver or Bit. The screws have a large head and need the holding power of the larger bit. A #2 will slip while driving an strip the screw.

If you take time to set the pattern correctly this is and easy unit to install; very solid. I would buy it again over other units that I ave used in the past.
Verified Purchase
This is not an overly fancy keyboard drawer. Goes up, goes down. Goes in, pulls out. The platform is just the right width and the gel wrist wrest is just right. If you are looking for a keyboard tray, look no further.
on April 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
I'm impressed with how sturdy this keyboard shelf feels, and how smoothly it slides on the track and swivels. The keyboard height and tilt are adjustable, but in order to adjust them it's part of the same movement and requires a little muscle and finesse, but eventually I got it right where I needed it. It can be a little tricky getting the correct height. I wanted it a little higher than I set it at but then there wasn't enough clearance for the keyboard to tuck under the track bumper when I wanted to slide it under my desk, so I had to play with it until I got just the right miniscule amount of clearance and correct tilt, but I'm very happy with it once I got it where I wanted it! The whole shelf also pivots/swivels left to right which is great for angling the keyboard right where you need it. You can swivel it at anytime without having to adjust the knob (and possibly lose your height/tilt, since that function is springy and changes position as soon as you loosen the knob).

I read the other comments about how the shelf doesn't tuck all the way under when you push it all the way to the back of the track. The instructions claims it's supposed to, but due to the adjusting mechanism the length the shelf sticks out changes depending on the height you set it at (so the lowest height has the shelf sitting back the farthest, while the higher heights have the shelf sticking out a bit more). Before installation I played around with the shelf and track just to see how far it was going to stick out based on the height I wanted, it was only going to be an inch or two but I decided I didn't want it to stick out at all so I set the mounting template back precisely 5 inches from the front of the desk to the Datum line on the template.

IF YOU SET THE SHELF FURTHER BACK THAN THE INSTRUCTIONS DIRECT, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SET THE KEYBOARD HEIGHT TO BE ABOVE THE DESKTOP. However, I knew I would not want the shelf to be above my desktop height anyway. Not only is that too high for me, but you need to have the shelf fully extended which means you're sitting rather far back from the desk. I knew I wouldn't want the shelf fully extended when I used it anyway, I only let it peek out just enough to access the keyboard, so setting the track back worked for me just fine. But if you need your shelf to be 1 inches above your desktop or whatever, follow the instructions regarding track placement. Even though I set it back so far, the keyboard shelf still extends very far out, much further than I need it to. I can definitely fully access everything on the shelf. I'm considering getting a little shallow container for pens and such to mount to the shelf behind the keyboard because there's still a lot of room back there. (It's a Mac keyboard.)

The 3M stickies and velcro things to set your keyboard and manage the cables just make this whole thing come together in a really professional, beautiful way. I use a trackball so I'm probably going to pick up a few extra velcro thingies to stick that to the shelf as well, since it's already sliding around a little as I open and close the shelf.

I mounted this shelf to an Elfa component desk purchased from the Container Store. It pretty much takes up the whole space between the legs and the filing cabinet supporting the other end of the desk.

One of my concerns was if there would still be enough clearance under my desk for my rolling drawer unit to fit. I thought it would be ok under the shelf itself, but I wasn't sure about the track and slide mechanism. But it moves around those things just fine, so I can still roll it around under my desk as freely as I need it to. And to top it all off, my chair arms fit perfectly in the space between my desk and the shelf, so I can tuck my chair fully under my desk for the first time in years! (Before I had to keep my chair arms at an odd height to accommodate typing on the desktop surface and they prevented the chair from tucking under fully.)

In conclusion, I LOVE THIS KEYBOARD SHELF!! There are a few quirks that keep it from being perfect, but I think it's well worth the price. A GREAT VALUE!
on September 20, 2010
Keyboard tray is very stable and has a nice wide area for mouse and keyboard. Meets all of the basic functions I needed. Things I did not thing about before ordering: I work in an angled area, so a double pivot arm system would have been better for me(more expensive too). I also move a lot, so an easy adjust system would have been better. The knob adjust is less convenient, but functional.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations