on September 1, 2008
I just purchased this item for business. I travel and need to take the computer with me most of the time. I have had it for maybe three weeks. I took it on a short trip and it functioned like a champ. Plenty of power, easy to use. I cannot comment on it's duability, but to counter the opening and closing of the lid while at home, I purchased the hub and I just plug the laptop into the hub and use a monitor and keyboard and mouse. I hope it adds to the life of the machine.
However, so far so good. One possible complaint, and it is not about this machine in particular, but Microsoft, is that Vista is not compatible with software I already own. I must repurchase or upgrade some of my needed software and that is a shame. But, that's no reflection on this laptop, just food for thought.
on October 5, 2008
The overall functioning of this laptop is adequate. I have to keep reminding myself that Vista and Office 2007 are not hp's fault. Eliminating those gripes shortens this list dramatically. But the problem remains that (compared to my venerable hp zv5000) certain aspects of the layout and hardware of this laptop are very disappointing. Here are my specific complaints:

1. The touchpad is a piece of garbage. You cannot adjust the scroll speed and the pointer sometimes jumps around the screen for no reason. Also, the buttons feel like they belong on a dimestore toy -- far too much play.
2. The wireless toggle (a sliding bar) is located such that it is not protected when I close the laptop. It often gets accidentally and unwittingly turned off when I take the computer in and out of my bag.

3. The volume control touchpad is located such that when I use the delete key with my left hand, my ring finger rests on the volume controls. This essentially renders my laptop unusable until the computer stops turning itself up/down for about two minutes.

4. After I've shut it down, the computer will often turn itself back on when I pick it up to store it in my bag.

5. Quickplay will sometimes launch for no reason -- usually immediately following a spontaneous reboot.
on September 29, 2008
Looks can be deceiving but not on this baby. Sleek design, lightweight and easy to operate. Good looks aside, this is a very good notebook, I just got mine in august. The core 2 duo processor is highly efficient and 2GB of RAM is the max out in the market for DDR2 laptop memory and more than enough for most activities (unless your are a heavy gamer).
The large screen displays in beautiful quality.
The features:
+ 2 headphone jacks
+ numerous ports and slots ( USB, almost any memory card except the small ones and and optional TV tuner)
+ Fast
+lightscribe-enabled DVD/CD drive
+ Window vista (although some programs may be incompatible)
+ Plenty of room on the 250GB hard drive

My only complaint is that the battery life is not very efficient even under energy saver plans (you can make your own battery settings). So most of the time expect to be near an outlet with the AC adapter at hand. Also it tends to get hot so don't listen to those who say to put it on a flat surface. An incline will dissipate the heat more effectively and is also good for preventing injuries.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is my third laptop, and fourth computer. I have always had a dell and maybe that is why? Maybe it is in part due to the vista instead of xp? I don't know, but this computer seems to just make everything much more frustrating. Trying to find the options is so annoying.. Also I am having major problems with the power cord. It will not stay put and so if I type too fast, thus wiggling the compter ever so slightly it will start loosing power for not having a tigh fit I guess? If the wind blows to hard and the power cord moves at all it again will not stay plugged.. I need to take it in and see if they can give me a new cord or a new computer, but I would love to just sell this one and get a different one. Even my cheap used dell computer was soooo much better then this one! ugh.. I will never buy another hp!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations