Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 14, 2008
If you are looking for a powerful PC, but don't want to spend all that money on a Alienware or HP Blackbird, this is a great machine. I have owned mine for about a month now and I'm still impressed by how fast it is. It comes with Vista 64 OS, which I have had very little issues with. My only gripe is that it did not include a DVI > VGA adaptor, but instead came with a DVI > HDMI. So, I had to go to the store and get another DVI > HDMI adaptor and go that route, which in the end gives a superior image with a (expensive) HDMI cable. Even with that problem, I highly recommend it.
Pros: FAST, no crashes, and with any luck you won't need to buy a replacement before 2012 AD
Cons: no SLI, no overclocking capability in bios, pre-installed junkware

My first Gateway, I bought this box at Best Buy and have had it for 2 months now with no unresolved issues. I am not a huge gamer, but the few games I have installed run fine on max settings. I bought it more for multitasking, and so far this rig seamlessly crunches everything I throw at it simultaneously. I am finding that 90+% of the software I use works with 64-bit Vista (and believe me, I was resistant to moving away from XP -- but I'm glad I did). I was also reluctant to switch to the newest version of MS Office, but it happened to be on sale at Office Max so I said what the heck... it's a royal pain to get accustomed to the new Word interface, but maybe it will seem normal a year from now.
This machine has a Windows Experience Index base score of 5.9, if that matters to you.
The onboard sound is decent, but I threw in a cheapo Audigy SE card and it improved the audio (for my purposes). Core Temp shows not much over 50 degrees with load. Nor will I be concerned about the heat generated by the OC 9800 GT unless I fill the expansion bays / slots -- then it will be time for a PSU and cooling scheme upgrade.
First day, it was a minor pain to wipe off the bloatware (needed Norton removal tool, etc.) First week, I had to reinstall the dvd driver to get the device working (problem solved), and did a tiny edit in the registry (Vista's fault, not Gateway's).
I would recommend this system for users with a tech level above novice -- but that's probably who's gonna be interested anyway.
on January 13, 2009
I bought this product new for under $1K (not including monitors), and I have to say its a great product. I don't think I could have built something identical for the same price.

I use it to run virtual machines (as well as entertainment), and it runs them like a champ. So far I have virtual machines installed running Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, and two different Linux distros.
on August 10, 2008
I purchased this computer. While I found it attractive to look at and it had the features I wanted, it was a nightmare attempting to set it up. First the promised adapter for DVI to VGA was not included and I had to go running around acquiring one. Then I attempted to connect to the internet via my cable modem and router. That would not work no matter what I tried. Even though the same connection works on an older gateway and one I purchased six months ago with Vista I could not get it connected with this machine. After several hours of working with Gateway they gave up saying it was the ISP's fault even though I started with the ISP first. Delays of over 30-40 minutes were routine on my calls. All I can say be prepared for a lousy experience if you have any trouble with this machine. I am certainly going to return mine.

See 1 answered question