on December 12, 2008
This is an excellent phone set. I've had this set for last 6 months now.

The voice is crystal clear, crisp quality.

Even the speakerphone is so good. Another good thing is that you can use the phone on speakerphone while also charging the battery at the same time. That was an important factor for me as I've to be on conf calls for several hours.

Range is quite good too for this cordless. Also, no interference with any other devices in home.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 5, 2009
We got this phone system to replace an AT&T cordless phone system that quit working. The phones are compact, light weight, and stylish. They work fine. I haven't had any problems with static or low volume. But they are not perfect. The batteries that come with them are not very good. Even with full charge the battery runs out very quickly. It uses rechargable AAA 740 mAh batteries. I recommend that anyone considering this purchase get some better batteries at the same time.

There are a couple of other quirks that I don't really like. If you want to look at the recent calls you actually have to go into the call log, which is annoying. On my old phone you just had to arrow up and it went right into the call history. On this one you arrow up and it takes you to a menu and then you have to open the call log. It's just one extra step, but it seems excessive.

Even though I haven't had trouble with the sound, the lack of a volume control is a little annoying.

Other than those minor problems, I have found this phone to be adequate and the quality to be acceptable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2009
I received this item and proceeded to charge the handsets for 24 hours before use as the packaging directed. After that period was over, I proceeded to try to use the phones. All four units were not fully charged...in fact were hardly charged at all.

I left them charge for another 24 hours. Still, hardly charged.

The owners manual indicated that if the phones were showing uncharged after they were charged that the batteries would need to be replaced. The batteries, on a BRAND NEW UNIT, need to be replaced?! I called Philips. They were completely unresponsive and COLDLY indicated that the batteries were not able to be covered by the warranty. I would have to buy new batteries myself. I called the seller, Doug Gold. He at least tried to be helpful and seemed to be willing to take the units back...but also would not provide replacement batteries (he indicated that he did not have any available).

I finally went and bought new batteries, charged them, and the units...so far...work fine.

Buyer beware, you should factor in the cost of about $25 in new batteries to your cost estimate for this unit because you WILL NEED new batteries...whether or it be right away as I had...or soon after as other reviewers had. You should also be wary of Philips customer service because Customer Service for Philips is in fact an oxymoron.
on December 27, 2008
Quality and Range are good. It takes standard AAA NiMH batteries, so it's cheap to replace them if need be. The intercom and answering function are useful.

My only complaint (which has been the case with every Philips product I've owned the past decade) is the interface is a bit clumsy. I had to break out the manual more than I thought I would. The phone is fine for most people, but I wouldn't recommend it for the "technically challenged".
on October 17, 2009
The purpose of a cordless is the ability to leave it off the charger base for a few days anywhere in the home or office and being able to talk for a couple hours without worry before requiring a recharge. This Philips unit does neither.

Purchased from my local Coscto after being swayed by it's good looks, features, and value for the money, upon first using these units after charging them I noticed the battery life was not very practical. Sure the sound quality is excellent and I especially like the the speakerphone, but it's large backlit LCD and it's annoying little red flashing light coupled with it's poor battery life unltimately make this set worthless.

Even after spending virtually half the price of a new unit on Duracell rechargeable replacement AAA ni-mh 1000mah batteries (the Philips ni-mh 650mah pieces seem insufficient) even those didn't do the trick with the poor battery life.

Lucky for me local Costco accepted this package back without hassle even a year later!

Geez, my old Sanyo cordless never required this much babysitting??

I'll be looking into a new set of cordless Sanyo 6.0 DECTs very shortly. Philips is no longer an option here.
on July 28, 2009
I'm surprised Philips is selling such a low quality product.

Pretty much all the previous reviews describing various problems are to the point. I agree with all of that and will emphasize that:

* Useless batteries - expect to spend 50% of the phone cost on replacement batteries
* Hard to navigate user interface -- very unintuitive, nor using the full LCD screen efficiently
* Useless belt clips - broke in no time.
on February 13, 2011
Some of the reviews for this system seem pretty harsh. My own experience is that the phones work better than any other cordless system I've ever owned (AT&T, Siemens). In fact, when our home experienced a near lightning strike last year that created extensive electrical and electronic damage, we lost the base and base set but the three satellite sets survived. I was impressed enough to purchase another system as a replacement.

The two biggest complaints are the battery life and the menu. My experience is that if you replace the phone on its base so it can recharge after use it's reliable. Whenever the phone has a low charge it is because it hasn't been placed properly in the charging stand so it doesn't recharge. In everyday use, I rarely need to muck around in the menu. Having programmed my share of cordless phones, I have to say that setting-up this system is as easy as any system in my experience. Both the phone directory and access to missed calls are available by pressing one button. It couldn't be easier.

What seems to be getting overlooked here is that this phone system is a value. A comparable system from other major manufacturers can be considerably more expensive but not any more reliable in my opinion.
on December 19, 2009
This phone is just ok.

Pros: It looks cool. LCD is not bright in bedroom at night. Has all the functions you would want. Speaker phone works good. Expandable. Inexpensive.

Cons: Menu functioning is garbage. It seems you have to scroll through too many menus to get simple functions done (comparing it to panasonic phones). Battery life is not as advertised. Not sure if it is the batteries or the function of the phone. Either way battery life is pathetic even after I changed to new batteries. Delayed response to buttons pushed when dialing with a tone.

I wouldn't recommend this phone. It is sub-standard to the panasonic phones which are excellent. I have buyers remorse for not getting a panasonic phone.
on July 22, 2009
I have had this phone for a couple of months now. Just about every negative review listed here on Amazon is true about these phones. I do not need to run down the list because many others have already done so. As far as my two cents...re-read the title, enough said.
VINE VOICEon November 9, 2009
I have gone back to my old phone system. Originally, I bought it to replace an old Uniden cordless phone with answering machine that is 8+ years with worn off key pads.

I purchased this system for the features, design and promise of uninterrupted digital signals. I liked having four phones in this set and being able to easily use them as intercoms. That along with the strong and clear sound of the phones were great! The rest of the phone features were not a hit.

Although I liked the compact design, it came at a annoying cost - most features required a few steps to accomplish. I had to press 4 keys to set up my answering machine message! My old one has a direct button. The Philips system stores up to a 100 phone numbers sure but once again, it takes a couple of steps to access them. You would be in trouble if you ever lost the instruction booklet. I had to charge the phone base and additional phones two times for them to work properly. One cordless phone worked for a little over an hour into a conversation before dying. Maybe this was the fault of the included Philips batteries but it did not bode well for future calls to family out-of-state. Also, I did not like the very small print on the telephone buttons.

Overall, not a good option for my personal use. I am on the lookout for a better phone system to replace my very old yet still working Uniden phones.