Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: EPSON WORKFORCE 500
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 22, 2009
I bought this product at Best Buy after reading a few reviews. Started out well tho' scanning was disappointing, as noted in the previous review. But before long it wouldn't fax, then copy quality got worse and worse and now, less than 6 months after buying it, it won't recognize any magenta ink cartridge and won't print anything. Piece of cr-p! Now I am using my mom's ancient Brother Fax with the roller type printer and saving to replace the machine...NOT with another Epson WF500.
on May 8, 2012
First off, no I didn't buy it on Amazon, although I should have. Yes, there were some issues about the ink cartridges initially. But I'm happy to report thanks to a class action lawsuit settlement now the printer will print till the ink runs dry. That coupled with the fact I've owned the darn thing since....2009 and it's still kicking butt. I use it mainly for photos because it still has as high a dpi as the newest photo printers. It does a great job. The kiddos use the copier to make their coloring books last forever and I use the scanner often no problems there. I guess overall some people were dissapointed, I was pretty upset too, initially. Although now I've owned the workforce 500 for years and it still works great, I don't know what else to say, but I'm sorry for the others who were so upset. I'm loving mine. Buy the high capacity ink, its worth it and not anymore expensive than other brands AND Epson inks are the best quality you can buy.
on November 22, 2008
I purchased this product after my HP 5610 stopped working. I make heavy use of the ADF scanning and noticed the Epson Workforce 500 was billed as supported duplex printing. Both of these selling points failed to perform as expected and I returned the unit.

There is no duplex printing support on this device. Despite marketing speech to the contrary the only double sided printing support is that a window pops up on your screen requesting you to turn the sheet of paper around to print on the opposite side.

The scanner's document feeder did not perform at all. The construction made it relatively difficult to add standard 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper into the feeder without getting caught on a number of ledges and horizontal barriers meant to keep the paper in alignment. Once the sheet to be scanned was properly inserted the scanner was almost never able to scan a sheet of paper without "slipping" - when this occurred the drive motors continued to move and the scanner portion believe the sheet was sliding past it but in reality the paper was stuck midway thru the scanner.
on December 3, 2009
This printer was easy to set up and worked well for a few months till it gave a signal that black and cyan ink cartridges were low and needed to be replaced. And all I wanted to print were black copies - not color ones! Since I was in a hurry to print an important document I went shopping and bought a black for $17 and a cyan for $12 after going to four stores. Installed the two and printed 1 page and then it said it wanted the magenta too! I looked up the internet and there were a host of complaints saying ALL 4 cartridges needed to be replaced if one was low in ink! - which I should have paid attention to before buying. Again went shopping and I paid up and bought both magenta and yellow. A total expense of $66 for 4 cartridges - and the thing cost $89.99 new at Frys! Hence I advise DONT BUY EPSON WORKFORCE 500!! You will regret if you do.
on March 30, 2010
This stupid thing prints blurry every time. The Epson website recommends aligning the print head and unchecking high speed. I did both of these and it still prints blurry. It also jams often and controls are confusing.
on January 4, 2010
The marketing folks for Epson did a great job pushing this product, but its pretty clear no one in engineering or product development had their head in the game. Here are my top 3 complaints:
1) When ANY ink is low, you have to fill it immediately or the whole thing becomes non-functional.
2) I've had the thing for one year and the print heads are dead.
3) If you are having ink problems on any color, you're still not able to receive black and white faxes.

The list goes on and on... Don't bother with this piece of junk.
on May 12, 2010
I've owned many printer in the past 15 years, including a few Epson's. Even with very low printing volume, I've never had to replace so many expensive ink cartridges as I have with this printer, the last Epson printer I will buy.
on September 9, 2013
Indescribably bad. Don't even think about buying one of these, nor any other Epson product. Please don't throw your money away on one of them. Let my squandered money suffice for all of us.

This certainly is the worst printer I have ever used. But it is far more: It is the worst piece of electronic equipment of any kind that I have ever owned. Period. The "automatic feeder" almost always pulls multiple sheets simultaneously, ruining the scan or fax or copy. Almost as often it jams and then must be re-set. If lightning strikes and you ever happen to overcome all the odds and get a few pages scanned, the resulting images are blurred and slightly crooked. Even when you place the sheets on the glass one page at a time and scan (or copy), the resulting images are blurred and crooked. The blurriness affects color copies and black and white. It is not one iota less an ordeal to do simple envelope prints. The feeder does not recognize the envelope and will not pull it through, even though it is perfectly placed in the feeder. There is nothing you can do to make the envelope go through when this happens (which is almost all the time). But you will spend plenty of time trying. At some point the thing might decide to pull the envelope (when you have done nothing different from all the other times). Otherwise you will have two choices: hook up another printer, or address your envelope by hand.

Truly, the Epson is so bad I cannot possibly describe its badness adequately here. Horrible. I will never buy another Epson product of any kind. You shouldn't either. Let my dreadful experience spare you any pain of your own.