Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on May 18, 2011
I have been using Speedo MP3 player for the past 4 years and it worked fine.
The Player is great, contains 2G of songs and although there is no shuffle feature, it is still a great accessory for swimming.

The problem starts with its earphones:

The previous generation was uncomfortable, but, had a good sound and the ears were sealed completely from the water.

After few years, when the first pair was worn out, I bought a pair of new earphones, which are a downgrade form earlier generations:

1) The outer frame was redesigned, into a round shape, which makes it harder to grab and aim into ones ear.
2) The earplugs do not seal the ear anymore, water are coming in, making the sound blurry.
3) and the worst of all, after 3 swims, the left earphone stopped working.
I actually replaced the first pair for a new one (with the help of Amazon's great customer service), but, the second pair suffered exactly from the same problems and was unusable after 2 swims.

I didn't buy any other earphone since...
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2013
I am now purchasing my third set of earphones for the aquabeat. I read with great interest the reviews that keep on mentioning that the headphones break after a period of time and it IS ALWAYS THE LEFT CHANNEL. Thought I was crazy ( and that may still be the case) but this is the third set of headphones were the left side has gone out
I notice the same complaint on three other reviews

on August 19, 2010
I loved the concept of swimming with music. Bought the Speedo player which only loads MP3's and not directly downloadable from itunes. The earphones are a joke. A bad joke. Takes forever to tweak them correctly and I have yet to complete a single lap without one or both of them falling out of ideal position, giving a tinny or waterlogged sound. I'm looking for a better headset to go with my adequate player.
on August 31, 2010
I have used the speedo waterproof stereo headphones a few times now (we're just finishing winter here) and I love them. It takes a little adjusting to begin with but once they're in place, the sound is really good. It's the concertina style earpiece that holds them in place. You kind of have to shove them in, but they stay in nicely and no water gets in. It does take ages to charge the player in the beginning, although it still worked when it wasn't fully charged (I got impatient and wanted to go for a swim). It sits nicely on the headband of the goggles and is easy to use. Once they're in place, I find the sound fantastic, particularly with my head below water. I recommend them!
on August 19, 2010
These earphones were good while they worked, which was only for.... four times (yes, 4). After that one of the earphones stopped working. The sound quality till then was good, and unlike other reviewers I found them comfortable (you just need to play a bit till you put the right pressure so that there is no water leak but your ears do not hurt either).
on March 15, 2013
The sound quality is good but unfortunately I had to return this product since it was defective. The connection at the MP3 player was loose causing a short and the music to stop in the left ear. I was a little disappointed with Amazon's return policy since I couldn't replace the item and had to order a new one. It also cost me to ship the product back even though it was purchased through Prime.
on October 19, 2012

Suite 1200
Los Angeles

Friday, October 19, 2012

Dear Sir or Madam:

In 1972, I got my lifeguard certificate and have been wearing only Speedo ever since. I was born in 1958 but people keep telling me I'm the fastest "senior" in my local pool!

I am 54 years old but my body doesn't match my face thanks to you Speedo! I am 6 foot tall, weigh 170 lbs, and have a 32-inch waistline!

I try to go swimming six days a week for one hour (I wear clothing manufactured by Speedo only); but lately people have been bothering me a lot ever since I got my Speedo Aquabeat and have been disrupting my workout simply because they want to know all about it? So I answer all of their questions, and tell them that they too should get a Speedo Aquabeat because "It takes the drag out of swimming!"

When I lost the headphones one night and tried to buy another pair here in Toronto, I couldn't find a retailer hear in Canada who knew anything about the Speedo Aquabeat either. When are you going to start marketing the Speedo Aquabeat here in Canada yourself so I can have some peace-and-music again in the pool?

I figure since I got my Speedo Aquabeat a few weeks ago that there are probably several dozen people who will be asking for one at Christmas, especially all of the lifeguards where I swim. I tell them all to buy one "on-line" at

Thank you for your great innovations over the years, fantastic prints, and my good health. My spouse is also very happy with the Speedo Aquabeat too and what you have done!

Best regards,

POCKAfish Official Website: [...]
on May 19, 2010
i just use this headphons for about a month and 1 of the earplugs dosnt sound no more. i have to move the cable ti make it work but when I start swimming the sound goes off.... this headphones sucks....
on July 10, 2014
I have owned my Speedo Ear Buds for several years now. I have found that they stay in my ears best without the around the ear attachment. They are the best sounding underwater buds I have used. I don't know why people have such problems with the. I did have a problem with the player. I was slinging my pack on my back and ripped the player off it mount and it hit the wall hard enough to crack the plastic. It no longer will play through the headphones, but will connect to my computer and hold and play file, not much good so I threw it out as it was totally my fault. I have been using a little Pyle underwater unit with my speedo buds. I am thinking of buying a new Speedo as it sounded better than the Pyle does and was easier to control while swimming laps. I found the whole system to be of good quality and would recommend one to a friend as well as buy another one. The Apple players are tempting, but are after market waterproofing jobs and are quite pricey. I hope this helps some of you that read all these negative reviews. Mine is NOT negative in any way and I used the player for about 2 years before breaking it and have used the buds for about 4 years so this is not a "first impression" review.
Brian Burke Jr.
on February 4, 2013
I bought these to go with my waterproof ipod shuffle after trying pyle brand headphones. These were a great improvement for me in fit. I no longer had to stop every other lap in the pool to put them back in my ear. These just stay put...usually. I started putting them on before getting in the pool so I could use the mirror to make sure the cords were even. I will say I love that the cord on these is short and has the coil section. The other pyle brand had all this excess cord that would get in my way and usually cause them to get pulled out. These are definitely designed for swimming and I don't have to secure them to my goggles. The sound is fine. I'm not expecting high quality sounds while swimming. I do think the sound is better than the pyle brand I had before. I can hear just fine over all my bubble blowing and splashing. If you're an audiophile I would suggest going home and listening to your turn table instead.
Overall, these are a great cheap headphone for swimming!