Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Humminbird 798ci SI Combo 5-Inch Waterproof Marine GPS and Chartplotter with Sounder (Navionics Gold and HotMaps Premium Charts Pre-loaded)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on June 23, 2010
After checking the web for reviews on Lowrance and Humminbird both and finding horror stories anymore about customer service from Lowrance and wait times of months, not to mention being charged to repair units under warranty, I decided to try this out as I called them several times with questions and got excellent responses each time.

Mounted on the trolling motor on the front of the boat and I have to say it is sweet. Works exactly as advertised with no problems. SI is awesome compared to older graphs.

I have also done a software update using a sd card which worked flawlessly. So far this unit is well worth the money.
on August 8, 2010
My husband and I just bought a Pontoon Boat for fishing and pleasure. We both enjoy fishing so we wanted to get some good equipment to go along with the boat and this unit was highly recommended. It may even be more than we need right now because it is "Loaded" with all kinds of good things. The graphics are easy to read and clear. The depth finder with alarm is very helpful. Even when the sun is shining on the screen, it is clear and easy to read. The sonar gives a real wide angle of what is below us and in great detail.
This unit has more maps than we will ever use, but it is good to know they are there should we decide to hit some other fishing areas.
Our boat dealer was kind enough to instll this unit on the boat for us and the hookup they used moves it in all different directions and allows us to remove it easily before trailering the boaot home and pop it on when we are ready to hit the water.
I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with this unit.
My husband, who is not a "Techie" (has problems running a computer) has learned very quickly how to operate this unit. We LOVE it.
We highly recommend it.
When I had a couple of questions, support from Humminbird was excellent too!
on August 11, 2012
I like the unit. But typical with corporate cost cutting the stainless fasteners supplied are Chinese. I broke the heads off two screws (using the proper drill bit they specify) and the nut for the 1/4-20 bolt for the transducer was metric---so it was a challenge--had to replace it with a 1/4-20 nut of my own.

The time spent just troubleshooting this issue really got my Goat.

And, because of low quality screws, I have 2 "studs" embedded in my transom that will never come out. Not happy about that!

Then, I take the boat out--it's only a Bayliner with a 4-banger--never went over 30 and get back and notice the bracket at the transducer pivot is CRACKED.

What a horrible design, and cheap components HB designed/supplied for you to mount it (not to mention complicated; did I mention this is challenging?)

I'll be on the phone to them---I don't even want a replacement--I want to find out if there is something BETTER to hold this 300.00+ txducer to my boat.

I will be re-thinking Lowrance next time too. (Are you listening HB Beancounters?)

On Edit--I should mention that I am a marine professional--I inspect boats and associated equipment for a living--what I am saying here is serious business (IMHO). I will update this review depending on the outcome of my conversation with HB and report back.

UPDATE: They sent me a new mount no problem--I asked them if there was something better and they said no--but there was no problem getting another one.
on July 18, 2013
Great unit, able to scan a 60 foot wide swath of water and see exactly what is in that area. Don't set it to view wider though cause the screen shrinks the image too small.
on June 27, 2011
I purchased this unit in March, 2011 and used it 3 times. The second time the GPS tracking would not track under 2mph and would only show a donut, which is very frustrating if trying to stay over a marked fishing spot.

I contacted Humminbird and they said to download update 5.410 and it would fix the problem. I did this.

I used it the third time and the GPS tracking problem had not been fixed with the new update. This time out the depth reading began going crazy. I was in approximately 180 ft. of water and it was reading all the way down to 1.7 ft. and bouncing all over. I spoke with 3 different Humminbird techs via phone while I was on the water and we tried all kinds of settings and could not fix the problem.

Humminbird is going to send me a new transducer to try, but I do not believe it will fix it. If not, they said I will have to send the unit in to them.

It is ridiculous to pay over $800 for an item and it not work correctly, so I would not buy this item until Humminbird gets these issues resolved if I were you.
on May 27, 2011
I would like to have known that I needed a new Navionics card to navigate the west coast ocean waters. I may have missed this in my research, but the added expense may have changed my decision to purchase this unit.
on April 6, 2010
This is an excellent fishfinder but if you can possibly swing it upgrade to a larger screen model, some of the details are harder to see and you can zoom in on them but the picture isn't as clear. Glad I didn't buy the Lowrance which I was contemplating
on November 11, 2013
does everything it is suppose to, and is user friendly. bought 2 of these and linked together. these are some of the least expensinve ones the do most anything.
on July 25, 2013
I have owned many other fish Finders but this is the bomb! I can't describe how awesome this unit is. I sit in my driveway and mapped one of my favorite rivers and branch creek. In the water its crystal clear and being able to change the background color eliminates any and all sun glare. When you can detect a 5gal. bucket half buried in the mud, that's detailed, I love this tool and the advantage over the fish.
on May 8, 2015
Great unit. Fits perfect in my old depthfinder cutout with no modificatiuons