Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on March 2, 2010
Yes, I did grit my teeth and purchase this battery. On the AG-HMC40 it reports 8 hours of battery life on the first charge. This battery is very useful if you need an extra battery and don't want to rely on the little starter battery Panasonic provides.

It's a little funny looking, since it does stick out the back of the camera some, and the starter battery looks like it's getting lost in the same space. It's not too bad, and doesn't interfere with the usage.

Really the only downer on this battery is the cost. The AG-HMC40 seems to be VERY power efficient, and this battery shows just how far you can go. I guess if you just consider this part of the camera cost, it's not so bad.

I love the battery now that I have it, You always WANT that extra battery waiting for you on the charger anyway, so it's hard to say no.

If I ignored battery cost, I would probably want to rate this at 4.5 stars or so.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 12, 2010
They have been (up until I intervened) marketing this battery as a 7.2V 5800mAh Panasonic battery which according to Panasonics web site is the VW-VBG6PP-K
The two that I purchased ( 2 seperate purchases, caught it on the second one) are both 7.2V 5400mAh Panasonic battery which according to Panasonics web site is the VW-VBG6. (There are other web sites doing the same thing)

The box my second one arrived in is production labelled VW-VBG6 as shown in the product images above.
The white label on the back (probably applied later) shows the other model VW-VBG6PP-K.

The actual battery contained within is the VW-VBG6 7.2V 5400mAh battery as shown in the above battery label image above.

The actual cost of this battery concides with Panasonics pricing. I feel that the price for either battery is a bit extreme considering there are no other options. I also agree that this should be the battery included with the camera, in my case the Panasonic AG-HMC70.

Product wise, it is a quality high performance item and a must have for heavy users. Price still sucks!!!
review image review image
on December 23, 2009
This battery is way overpriced for what it is. It is the battery Panasonic should include with its cameras. But why do that when you can shake down the customer for another $170? The battery that comes with the HMC150 is pretty worthless, a starter battery like the few drops of ink they put in those starter printer cartridges. This battery does the job but it is overpriced.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The AG-HMC 80 professional camera eats batteries like they are going out of style. It will drain the maximum BP827 battery for the canon vixia series (which lasts about 6 hours) in just 90 minues - in fact the camera ships with a small battery with the bp827 (vixia largest battery) capacity!

Now if you want to run more than 90 min, you are going to need more battery - but stop - i know there are 40 dollar aftermarket batteries out there. If you use them, the camera will know as the panasonic battery has the word panasonic stored in nvram so that A) Aftermarket battery mfgrs can not copy it (it would be trademark infringement - sort of like putting chevrolet on a yugo) and B) - the camera can read what battery it has installed - if the word PANASONIC is not where it belongs in memory - poof - you just ruined your 3 year warantee on the camera.

So is it worth the extra $100 to maintain your warantee and not buy aftermarket parts. Panasonic has you in the vice here - they know they can do this - they even let aftermarket batts work in their camera - but if you use them, the camera takes note of the date and time they were used and stores it away in its nvram memory (the same memory that keeps track of the hour meter on the camera - sort of like an odometer in a car). If you insert an aftermarket cell you just killed your free 3 year warantee.

That's the only difference in this 140 dollar battery and the 40 dollar aftermarket clone. They both give you about 300 minutes of shooting time (even more in playback) but one kills your warantee.

Just something to think about.
on March 8, 2010
The battery works very well lasting much longer than the battery that came with the HMC150. It is still relatively expensive. But there is no other alternatives. This is the reason I gave it a four star rating.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 15, 2013
Having been on and off the fence regarding this battery I finally bit the bullet and purchased one.

Chances are if you're reading this you already know what an amazing Camera the
AG-HMC40 is. I've never owned anything like it before and it's truly a technological marvel. However the battery that comes with the camera runs down pretty quickly if you're doing long shoots or simply have your camera out for the day or evening to film.

I have one of the starter batteries from my other Panny that fits the HCM 40 but it's a juggling act keeping one in the charger and one in the camera - swapping them out when which ever one runs out of juice first.

When I saw the Battery was $230 if you buy it directly from Panasonic, I slipped into a coma. So to find it here on Amazon for virtually half the cost was great. Considering the cost in relationship to the camera - it's an outstanding value. That six hours of battery life really has made a difference.

A Few Quick Comments:

* OEM Battery Not a gray or after market battery

* Arrives in original Panasonic packaging

* Charges up in no time

* Works perfectly with your current charger

* 6 hours of battery life lets you get more enjoyment out of your camera!

Also Kudos to this marketplace Seller. My battery was shipped the same day I ordered it. The battery arrived well packaged by USPS Priority mail in two days. Usually "Free Shipping" means you'll be waiting a while as your item has been shipped by the lowest cost and longest delivery time.

The extra effort to deliver the product this quickly and not price gouge on the shipping is very much appreciated.

If you're undecided about this battery I would say it really comes down to an investment back into your camera by allowing you to be free of worry about battery life and not having to keep swapping out the smaller ones.

If that's worth it you then this a good investment that's going to save you time as it provides your camera with more up and running life between charges.

Highly Recommended
on January 5, 2010
We've had this battery for a rather short period of time, but we're quite pleased with it so far. We aren't professional videographers, just normal people. We took it out for a couple of different all-day excursions, the most recent on Christmas Day at the San Diego Zoo, where we were constantly recording, reviewing, recording, reviewing, etc. The battery indicated over 2 hrs remaining when we got home. This was after the first full-day outing testing our camcorder, again with several hours' use. I'm not sure why our results are so much more positive than the other review here. I can tell you we've used this battery for at least 5-6 hours and it still indicated over 2 hours remaining battery time. We had pretty good luck with the battery that came with our camcorder, as well, getting well over 1-2 hours' use, although I never did a conscious testing of battery power on that one. Perhaps the battery is used for different camcorder models and that has something to do with power drain. We have a Panasonic AG-HMC40. Based on our experience thus far, this is a great battery for our camcorder. Hopefully it will be for yours too.
on April 11, 2010
I have no complaints about this battery other than it should come with the camera. I get about 6 hours with the camera in standby & maybe an hour or so of recorded video. Works well and I always have the little starter battery the HMC150 came if I go over. This battery takes many hours to charge,(maybe 6) so if you go with two and get home late and need to charge them both before working in the morning you, will most likely need a second charger.
on July 2, 2012
This is the third battery I've ordered of this brand. Thus far all three have perfromed to specifications. With proper charging maintenance, I hope to get many years out this battery. The first one I ordered is about 2 3/4 years old and still holds its charge well. If you're looking for a solid extended life battery to replace the one that came with your camera...start here!
on June 1, 2010
This battery is a must have for owners of the Panasonic HMC150. The battery that comes with the camera has very little battery life and is a pain in the backside when working on projects. This battery has a great battery life, but they definitely mark up the price because they know you need it. Simply put, Highly priced put needed to work.

See 1 answered question