Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

• Customer Reviews

This is all you need for any one device to the extent that it is rated for universal voltage of 100-240V AC.

Most existing laptops and other electronics are this way these days but some older devices may come with a 110/240V switch so make sure that you check before you plug your device into the foreign outlet, especially if you do it into the outlet of 'higher' voltage.

On this adapter's features:

- Works as a plug converter on both sides, meaning that you can plug in either a US, Euro or South American device on one end and the outlet you plug it into can be either of the above.
- Supports both 2-prong and 3-prong US plugs.
- It is NOT a voltage converter. If your device is not rated for 240V chances are it WILL be destroyed so be careful.
- Amazingly, for the price, it even offers some surge protection.
1010 comments|339 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2009
I purchased this converter to use with my laptop and cell phone / video camera charging. The converter itself is easy to use. It worked very well in Hong Kong because they use British style plugs. China uses the Australian type plugs. When using these plugs there is no third plug. Some circuits at upscale hotels will only work if 3 prongs are used, not just 2. When two prongs are used either in the Australian plug or the European plug, the connection is very flimsy and falls out of the socket easily. I did not have to use this much in China as the hotel I was staying at (a Mariott hotel) had several options on the wall plate that allowed me to use American plugs.

Regaring power transformers: Most of Asia uses 220 - 240 Volt circuits. If all you are using are laptops and cell phone / camera charging cords, most of those will tolerate up to 240 volts. Just check the sqaure/rectangular box attached to the cord to see how much voltage it will take. If you are using hair dryer / curling iron / electric razor / etc., you will need a power transformer as these appliances typically will not take voltage over 110 (used in America for most things).
55 comments|364 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2009
I just got back from 10 days in France and Italy. Of the three of us on the trip, mine was the only adapter to work. It did a great job on plugs for the iPhone, hair dryer, flat iron, camera batteries and that was all we took with us.

What a lot of people don't realize is most of your modern stuff does not need a converter (plus this adapter). So we just used the adapter and all our stuff was rated for both US and EU use. Look on your equipment for 100 or 110V-240V, 50-60Hertz, if it says this it will work in the US and Europe.
33 comments|207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2010
I tried to use this all-in-one adapter on my recent trip to multiple cities in Europe. But, the coupling (connection) was loose in every socket, and hence I spent a lot of time trying to get this adapter to fit. Hence, I'd recommend against buying this adapter.

Luckily, I had also bought dedicated adapters for each country, and those worked extremely well. Here is the list for anyone who intends to travel to Europe.
x Lewis N. Clark Grounded Italy Adapter Plug - Italy only
x Power Bright PB-12 US to UK 3-Prong Travel Outlet Plug Adapter - UK only
x Grounded Adapter - CE Certified - USA to Europe - Heavy Duty Adapter - Most places in Europe

And, a power strip to connect multiple US style outlets
x Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go 4 Outlet Travel Power Strip (Black)
22 comments|138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2009
I can't claim to have personally tried every single outlet in Europe, but I can tell you that the majority of European plugs are recessed: that is, the actual socket into which the plug prongs go is set into a little round hole about half an inch deep. This adapter does not fit into that recess, and is therefore useless. I found this out the hard way in both Holland and the Czech Republic, and great was the wailing and lamentation on both occasions.

You can use this with an extender built for the purpose (see the Simran Plug Adapter on this site for an example), but if you're doing that, why not just get an adapter that fits in the first place?
66 comments|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2009
I have had many an adapter. This is my first all-in-one. It performed flawlessly in the UK and Portugal, and should work everywhere. The great thing about it is that it also has reverse compatibility so that for example, a house guest from Europe could use this in your house in the US. Brilliant device!
on July 25, 2010
This product worked well - I purchased two for my trip to China and they both worked without any issues. It was a bit tricky at first to figure out how to get the adaptor to stay in the plug, but you just have to set it to the right position and then move the lever to "lock" prior to putting it in the outlet (it doesn't mention this in the directions). Other than that, the product worked great! Further, I used it with a variety of devices/plugs: my hair straightener which was purchased in Spain and accepts 220 V, and my laptop computer plug I use in the USA and it a grounded plug. So the adapter is quite versatile. I also received it quite quickly once I placed my order!
on November 9, 2010
Ok, I should have believed the others who said it doesn't work. Here I sit in my UK hotel with three of these things and one of them occasionally works for a short time. In the 4 days I have been here, I have nearly gone nuts watching these adapters flash on and off. As an electrical engineer, I admire the concept, but I can see that there is some manufacturing problem or design defect so that the internal contact is fatally flawed. With the UK prongs popped out, and with it inserted into a UK plug strip, I can rock the body of the adapter very slightly and cause the internal connection within the adapter to make or break. Unfortunately getting an adapter to stay 'ON' or connected is nearly impossible. All three are the same. They snap open nicely, and plug in smoothly and then the LED on the adapter flashes for part of a second and then goes off. At that point, the body of the adapter is wobbly on the prongs, which are solidly pushed into the UK plug. So I try to rock the body to coax it into the ON mode and keep it there. If tape would hold it, i'd try that, but keeping it on is nearly impossible. If it were not for the 110 volt plugs in this hotel, I wouldn't be able to use the laptop to write this bad review. Whatever problems cause this - manufacturing defect, or design flaw, it doesn't matter. Of course, I will return these once I get back to the US, so that Amazon will know they should pull this product.
on October 17, 2009
I purchased the adapter to use on a trip to the UK with my cell phone, laptop, and camera battery chargers and a travel hair straightener - all dual voltage and so not requiring voltage converters, but only plug adapters. This plug adapter would not provide power to any of the four items, however. I had brought 3 other plug adapters with me, and tested each item with other adapters and they all worked, so I know it was a problem with this adapter. I am unsure whether the adapter is completely defective, or only the UK plug of the adapter. It would have been a major problem had I been relying on this adapter without bringing other ones. I was very surprised since the item had 7 positive reviews, so perhaps this was only an isolated incident; still, I would encourage you not to rely only on this adapter and to bring a back-up if you are going to buy it.
on February 5, 2010
I have been living in Korea and needed a good adapter so that I could use my American electronics without using the bulky transformer boxes (almost all my gear has built in transformers, so I only needed an adapter). However, I found that when using the European setting, even the slightest nudge would cause it to lose connectivity. I even went as far as trying to tightly tape it into place, but it would still only hold for a few seconds.

in addition, when I first plugged it in and occasionally later on, it would make loud sparks. There are even scorch marks on it and the American surge protector I was trying to use with it. I've been reading more now, and realize that cheap adapters are very unwise in Korea and can cause fires.

my advice is to find a much more reliable adapter, especially if you're going to be using it in Korea.