Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Motorola MOTONAV TN20 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Text-to-Speech
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on August 10, 2009
It has some pretty decent features for Motorola's entry into the GPS realm dominated by others, Motorola was a little slow dipping it's feet into the GPS market, but the unit somewhat surprised me. Personally, I prefer the smaller 3.5" screens (BUT, only if it has decent 'text to speech' which this unit does have) as I mount it on my windshield and the less windshield real estate used, the better, if this unit or any GPS unit didn't have Text to speech, then obviously the larger 4.3" and larger units are a better choice.

Picked it up on sale @ $99 then put it to the idiot test to see what it could do.

Opened the box, plugged it in and put the manual aside, after all, one cannot do an idiot test if you read the manual. Pressed the on button, setup was very intuitive and simple, then entering in the destination and it got me there no problem, acquiring the satellite was quicker than I was told it would be by the salesman.(But then again, some Radioshack reps may not be the brightest light bulbs out there) The text to speech was pleasant and not annoying on the initial testing. I tried to throw it a curve-ball with a tricky destination, but it got me there 1-2-3

The auto day/night was decent as well. After the idiot test I read the instructions to read about all the features that weren't obvious. The only negative in my humble opinion is that the GPS's plastic bezel, which could be smaller, and the battery life could be better when not using a power cord connected to your auto's 12-volt lighter plug in, but then again Motorola is new to the GPS game, and I'm sure down the road they will make some design changes to improve their products, but for 99 clams, I'd recommend this to a friend.
on December 9, 2009
There is nothing wrong with the Motorola GPS. Its very light weight, small with a 3.5" x 2" screen. It has plenty of features like search catagories (fuel, hotel, shopping and so on), enter names of businesses to search, favorite places with catagories and of course enter an address.

First I'll start with the good stuff:

You can navigate your way by the shortest time or shortest route. You can even create detours. That is a nice feature. You can select what to avoid like ferries, gated communities, toll roads and highways.

The signal is comperable to many other GPS devices. It gets a signal after being outside 3-5 minutes, but can't get a signal in downtown Chicago due to the buildings.

And now the bad stuff. The voice is very robotic compared to others.

This is my 4th GPS, and quite honestly I like the others. The Motorola is just lacking. You can search for businesses, but it rarely finds the one you are looking for. Searching "Best Buy" will never show the popular business, even when standing outside of a Best Buy that has been there 15 years. However, it will find "Best Buy Chinese Restaurant" 29 miles away.

Another major issue is the fact that it sometimes when entering a direct address, it will tell you there are no address numbers at all on that road and it will point you to the halfway point of the road. Huh? Even a street with dozens of houses on it, the GPS will tell you that there are no addresses and tell you to set it to the halfway of the street.

Searching for shopping in general is a chore, because there are no catagories or filters. Everything appears as one long list.

This GPS cannot find anything. I've tried, it is a little frustrating. Its like you need to be at the location and mark it as a favorite in order to find it again. Not always, but a lot of the time.

I don't like it. There is nothing wrong with it, but I just feel there are better GPS devices out there.
on July 22, 2009
My 11 year old granddaughter set this unit up for me last week with all the info needed to get started. I never in a million years thought that I would ever get a GPS but after my Son-in-law showed me his I wanted one. My wife got this MOTONAV TN20 as a second present for my 55th birthday and I love it. I already bought a dash holder for it and a nice carring case from Amazon. I will be retiring in about a month and my wife and I will really get to use this as we do some long awaited travel. This unit even lets you use it while on foot to find your way around places you never walked through before(I'll be using it for that when we go to N.Y.City during the Christmas Season)!
"Enjoy" Joe Kopeck
on May 25, 2009
This is my first GPS navigation system, so I can't compare it to other systems, but this one is fantastic, easy to use, and easy to read. Once in a while it can get confused, if there's a road it doesn't know, but it seems to always get you there, even if it has to take you an extra trek around the block. I have learned shortcuts I never knew existed to many of the places I've traveled regularly, and it's so great not to have to constantly watch for roads and signs. I would not hesitate to buy this same model again.
on June 6, 2010
I received this as a gift within the last year. It worked acceptably, but the software update eliminated half its usefulness, and then Motorola gave up on supporting this product and ceased to make updates available.

The one software update I installed was fine-- bought a SIM card just for this use-- and with some notable useful benefit to the map itself, but it also took away the original ability to save my "home" location. That meant that I would have to enter my own address (through its cumbersome address menus) each time I wished it to find the quickest way home.

It has been nearly a year since I've had it, so I wanted to get the most current software. In particular, I was hoping that it would quit telling me to drive off a cliff in my neighborhood, aptly named "Cliff Street" which does not go where the software thinks it goes! There is cliff there and Cliff Street does not go over it!

Surprise! Motorola considers this product "out of warranty" and no longer produces a map update for the unit-- this means that no fix will be available for the inability to set your home address as "home."

This was Motorola's entry into the GPS Navigator market as it was my own. I do not know what Motorola may have learned about the market, but I learned not to do business with Motorola again when I buy my next unit.

My alternate title is "glove box stuffer and paper weight."
on February 2, 2012
I actually enjoyed using the Motorola MOTONAV TN20 GPS Navigator. It is a great and easy to use device.

However, the biggest drawback is that you are allowed to update the maps stored on the GPS device only ONCE under warrantee - and then never again - or not at all if you are outside of the warrantee.

I updated my maps immediately on the day I bought/received the GPS and then was never able to update them again.

Also, after several months, the Car Adapter is no longer recognized as a valid charging device, and the MOTONAV TN20 tells you that it may take longer to charge due to it being an incompatible non-Motorola charger. This prompt came up every single time I turned on the device while the charger was plugged in (either on my PC USB or in the car with the official MOTOROLA charger it was shipped with.

Then there is the flaw in the mounting of the charging port that causes it to gradually recess into the casing every time you plug in the charging cord. Eventually, the charging port ends up breaking loose from the circuit board inside the GPS, making it no longer usable.

While it lasted, this was a very great option for the $40 price tag I got on it from WOOT.com

Otherwise, it may last you at most 2 years before breaking.
on January 25, 2011
We bought this for Christmas 2010 new. When maps were finally loaded (they weren't pre-installed and instructions are awful), we find out that the maps are 2008. Tried contacting Motorola but was referred back and forth between call center and web site. The conclusion is that Motorola does not offer map updates for this unit. Therefore, I'm stuck with a brand new gps unit that has out of date maps.

Other manfacturers offer free updates for new products. I suggest sticking with them.
on October 2, 2013
My best-friend loves it. It's easy to understand its audio instructions she says, and she's able to comprehend its visual map directions. Awesome GPS to purchase as a gift for a friend or family. It is also worth the money you'll pay for it. Honest!
on September 30, 2009
Got this nice little GPS on sale for $79 and with my gift card, only paid $59. What a bargain! I've had it out on the road once, and it works very well. It re-calculates your route in a matter of seconds if you miss your turn. Text to speech is very easy to hear and understand. The unit also lets you know which side of the street your destination is located on, once you arrive. The only drawback that I can see, is the small database of POI. Based on what I paid and how the unit works, I'm not complaining. Just letting other potential purchasers know what to expect.
on January 18, 2010
PROS
I bought this at Radio Shack on CLEARANCE! I took it outside and almost immediately it was oriented and ready to go. It is smaller, and faster than my old GPS and the update was easy to install using an XD card in the slot on the side. Its voice is easy to understand and the display is "just big enough". I'm sure there are better units out there if you want to spend 2 - 3 times as much, but If all you need is a basic, get-me-there unit, and one that is so portable it easily slips into your pocket, you can't beat this one for the price.

CONS?
They came out with this in 2008, I just bought this NEW but it is discontinued. Will there be more updates available or am I out of luck?

The database knows about the 7-11 across town but not the one a few blocks away?