Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Black Friday Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

on March 17, 2009
Aside from the difficulties in the online SonyStyle ordering/delivery process, the Sony VGC-JS230J machine itself is pretty awesome so far. I do have some complaints, but considering that I paid less than $[...] for the specs that I got, it's still well worth it.

The whining:
The screen is BRIGHT, like turn the brightness down a little bit BRIGHT. The brightness is nice for the most part, but my eyes were accustomed to my lesser bright monitor, so it'll take some time to get used to it, and it can light up a small room pretty well, so forget trying to work in a room where someone is trying to sleep. Along the same lines, there is some fan noise, not a lot, but you know there's a computer on nearby. My biggest complaint in this regard - when the CD drive is loading a disc, it is insanely loud. I'm not sure if maybe my machine in particular has something wrong with it, but it can drown out a conversation until the drive stops spinning, then it quiets down while completing the load process of whatever software or media you happen to be uploading. Next minor whine: the keyboard cord is too short. I have a sliding keyboard tray under my desk where a keyboard is meant to be housed, but the USB cable connecting the keyboard to the machine itself is a whopping 30" (I just busted out the tape measure), this makes it impossible to use a keyboard tray for a desk any deeper than 20-24" without tugging on the cable. I would try my old keyboard with the longer cable, but hey, this Vaio keyboard that came with it is pretty cool and the keys are very shallow, which makes for quieter, gentler key clicks. I wanted to use my existing Explorer mouse as the one that came with the Vaio is small and plain without side navigation buttons, but alas, the side navigation buttons on my Explorer mouse do not work with the JS230, only the top right/left/wheel buttons work. I gave up and plugged in the small Vaio mouse that came with the package and must re-learn how to click forward and backward without navigation assistance, will look into available resolutions for this irritant more later. Next: it came with Vista. I could've tried to downgrade back to XP, but eh.. figured I'd give Vista a try. Vista is growing on me very slowly, but software is separate issue. The amazing amount of preinstalled crapware took me a good 45 minutes to unload on first boot-up, it probably would've taken less time had I been able to find it in the suspect locations (remember, it came with Vista). Next: I still haven't quite figured out what the best viewing resolution should be for this wide-screen formatted display. I'm nearsighted, so need things displayed a bit bigger, but forget about a standard 1024x768 display, anything less than the default superfine 1680x1050 doesn't display correctly, so one must tweak the DPI & manual properties a bit to get it to look more friendly. Okay, so everything is finally set up and we can cruise with the settled machine now, and it is FAST! Pages load as fast as Vista will let them with amazing clarity and resolution. Huge HD storage capacity (500GB) makes it easy to manage media libraries without having to maintain an external HD, and abundant memory makes it easy to run multiple applications simultaneously without freezing. It's nice to have all the free space under my desk on the floor now where once stood a desktop tower, as everything now rests inclusively in approximately the same amount of desk space as my old LCD monitor in a very sleek package, complete with built-in webcam and okay-sounding speakers. Not much bass, but I don't imagine it will be too difficult to plug in some external speakers if needed, I haven't tried this yet. It's kinda nice having USB ports in the back for the external usuals (keyboard, mouse, printer), plus an extra 2 USB ports on the left side for other items, such as USB phone charger or iPod sync. There is much more to explore with my new toy, but so far, I'm happy with it and will likely find even more to be happy with as I tinker with it a bit more. Besides, it's a Sony, which is makes it awesome by nature.

UPDATE: After ditching Windows Vista & upgrading to Windows 7, the intermittent video "blackouts" have stopped. Upgraded from 4 stars to 5.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2009
I had waited a while to replace my old computer.
I'm glad I waited!
This is so nice, the hard drive is inside the monitor, which leaves alot of free space on my desk.
It looks so sleek, and cool.

It works at lightning-fast speed, and moves easily between programs.
Upon starting up a program, it is very fast!
I can easily have a bunch of windows and programs open, and this makes me more efficient, and let's me get back to different projects.
I work from home, and have to multi-task all the time...I'm also constantly on the phone, and working on personal things as well.
With this computer, I don't have to close down programs to free up memory.

I love it, and it looks great.
The Keyboard is great and easy to type with, I just wish it was cordless, but it's so cute.
The mouse is fast and I got used to it right away.

The speakers are awesome, I can hear music or videos great.
I can blast my favorite songs, and it sounds very clear.

500GB! Wow, I'm so happy. I can keep all my stuff in one place, with space to spare.
The 4GB Ram is very powerful, and provides the thrust power to get your game-on, downloads and work done quickly.
on November 30, 2012
too bad it got defect after warranty ended.
to repair it cost a fortune.
I'm not sure I will buy again something like this.
on April 3, 2009
I like Sony Electronics very much. Almost all electronics at my home including TV, cameras, camcorders, computers, etc. are from SONY due to its high qulity. However, recently I found SONY quality decreases, at least for computers.
I was interested in iMAC before purchase this computer. However, finally I selected SONY again due to my loyalty. However, it is so disappointed for this selection.
This computer does not work properly. When it started and went to Windows, it crashed and rebooted intermittently. Error Message: inappropriate installion of hardware or software. I have to mail it back to get a replacement, which waste a lot of my precious time!!!
Additionally, I had a similiar experience from another Sony desktop computer I purchased for my son a year ago. Sony, please maintain your quality!!! If not, you will lose your customers!!!!!!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2009
I don't know if this is the computer on sale on Amazon, but I have been looking for a forum to share my exprience of buying a computer from Sony. My very expensive computer crashed 2 months after I bought it. All the instructions are inside the computer, but the help line person was impatient with the fact that I did not know how to get it working again. Sony had it taken away to repair and it came back in working order. Worked perfectly for about 2 years and then the hard drive crashed, taking most of my e-mail with it! Less than a year later it crashed again and was put back by a professional. Now it just overheats when I play the mildest games! It is operated only by two retired adults. Would I ever buy a Sony product again? What do you think.

See 1 answered question