Top critical review
175 of 179 people found this helpful
I "had" 2 Great Radios...Would never purchase a Grace product again!
on March 5, 2009
Third Update (2013):
- Both radio's have completely locked up now and won't even turn on. I submitted multiple requests to Grace support online and they never responded. That being the case I would never purchase a Grace product again.
*I'm usually very sceptical of reviews who rate products low and will always look around to see if this was just a one off product problem or someone who dislikes a company. As noted I had two radios that both died with the same problem with absolutely no support from Grace.
- I originally rated this radio a 5 star and now have lowered it to a 2 star.
Issues: BOTH radios over a few days or a few weeks start and develop weird characters all over the small screen that makes the unit unusable without removing the power at the back and resetting the unit. Once that's done the unit is back to normal. This happens randomly all the time now. I've tried firmware updates and nothing has changed. I will update the review with a screen shot shortly.
- A few radio stations changed their format online and still stream audio that works on other devices and PCs. I go to the Grace Reciva website and the stations all check out normal and show functioning normal. I bring them up on both radios and neither radio works on these stations now. They both get caught in a loop saying "Connecting", "Retrying", "Connecting", "Retrying" and so on and so on. Most of the time I now find it easier to get an old IPHONE, set it to Wifi and sit it in speaker docking station. That works with all radio stations and I know every time I touch the screen it's on and ready to go.
*If Grace fixed the 2 problems above I would rate the unit a 5 star but right now the units just sit gathering dust. I would high recommend not purchasing any version of this radio until Grace figures out the problems. I'm sure both are software related. *
UPDATE(2010): I was so happy with my first IR2000 I purchaced another one for home.
Original Review(2009): I originally rated this radio a 5 star
This is a great radio. I've owned it for nearly a week now and it's worked flawlessly. I was looking for a radio for my desk at work and I couldn't have made a better choice. Over the past few weeks I read every review I could find about every internet radio on the market. I finally decided on this one. I really love it. The sound is great but don't expect to be using it on full volume to cover your entire house. Here is my list of likes and dislikes and I hope it helps.
- The size was perfect for my desk
- It looks very stylish
- I fired up the radio and had it working within minutes without reading the manual
- It was very easy to register at [...] and automatically download my radio stations and streams.
- I added some personal streams and they appeared on the screen of the radio within minutes.
- It was very easy to browse stations around the world without the use of my [...] account.
- The Audio sounded really good. Especially for the size of the radio
- WIFI setup was very simple. I moved it from one network to another and it remembered both password keys (WEP & WPA)
- The signal strength was really good especially with an internal antenna
- Navigation on the screen was very simple.
- When available it scrolled song or audio information across the screen. E.g. I tuned into aircraft traffic control after I added it to own streams after finding in on a website and within minutes weather information was scrolling across the screen.
- The remote is simple to use
- External input for an MP3 player, etc is a great addition
- It can stream audio from just about anywhere.....Radio Station Streams, Pandora, Sirius, Your PC, any MP3/REAL Audio/WMA stream off the net....
- The headphone jack is on the back. I use my headphone a lot and it's a pain having to pull the radio forward each time I want to plug them in. Some people may find it useful to plug other input devices in the front and others may find it useful to leave their stero plugged into the rear headphone port. Their should be an Aux (External) input on the front and back, and there should also be a headphone output jack on the front and back. That would accommodate every possible scenario.
- Although it's good that the radio is light, it tends to slide a little when I press the select button at times.
- I looked at the manual after I got everything working and it's laid out OK. They could lay it out just a little better.
The radio is well worth the money. It's very easy to use and setup. The sound is great. The menus are easy to use. It's built well. In all it's a fantastic radio. If I were purchase another radio for my desk, beside my bed or on a table in the lounge room, I would buy another one of these for sure. In fact, I'm thinking about it right now. I give this one 5/5.