Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Olympus FE-25 10MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom and 2.4 inch LCD (Black)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 29, 2009
First off, yeah, it does tend to kill batteries...BUT WHAT CAMERA DOESN'T? Second, the quality is excellent and I have it set to only 5MP. I have shot in 10MP mode and the quality is superb, but I don't want 5mb-sized pics, that's all.

When I originally bought this camera, I would've never figured that it records video with fantastic quality - which is a nice bonus. The only problem with it/mine is that there is no sound. It's possible that mine is defective in that aspect, but like I said, I bought it to take photos, nothing else, so it's no big deal. I've never owned a camera prior to this one and I got used to it quickly, but then again, I'm a fast learner and electronics savvy. But hey, that's why manuals were created! These other guys unfairly rated this camera. Ignore them.

I almost forgot, it uses Micro SD memory sticks and it comes with an adapter (or atleast mine did). I recommend a minimum of 4GB. Enjoy.
on May 26, 2010
I can't exactly figure out the hate for this camera.
Most cameras and high drain devices really need lithium batteries in them, to live up to their potential.
My camera drained the batteries that came with it in 10 shots, which I expected to happen.

I usually use lithiums, but didn't have any on hand. I put a pair of nickel metal hydride batteries in it several weeks ago, and she's still going strong on those.
Pictures are great provided you either use the flash, or a really steady hand without the flash. That's for indoor shooting.

One little odd item is the camera being able to take video, yet no sound. That is truly poor planning on Olympus's behalf. Not that I actually care about that. If I wanted a video recorder, I would have bought one. Still though, even my cheap 8mp Sanyo can take sound while shooting video.
If you can pick one of these cameras up cheap, it's a good deal. I highly doubt I would pay more than a 100.00 for one though.
My last expensive P&S was a Samsung, that has a nice aluminum casing. The casing on this camera is plastic.

The Camera is fairly quick to come on, quick to snap a picture, and quick to store it.
The 3X zoom is lacking, but what 3X isn't. This day in age they should all come with at least a 5X optical.

One little nag that bothers me is the tiny little power button that is almost flush to the frame.
It can be kind of hard to operate.

All in all, it's not a bad camera.
on December 6, 2011
Battery life is abysmal. Even the worst of the Nikon Coolpix cameras that I have had have gotten far better battery life. This one seems to be able to take only a dozen flash pictures or so before the batteries are drained to the point that it turns off the screen and refuses to flash.

Picture quality seems to be mediocre at best, compared to the CoolPix's and even to a cheapo 5-megapixel Kodak we have.

With the default White Balance, pictures have a very yellow/orange cast to them. You can change this to having pictures with slightly different yellow/orange casts, or with one setting, to having a blue cast. Me, I like blue better than yellow, so that's how I would set the camera if I intended to use it any more.

Others have mentioned the fact that, although you can take movies, there is no provision for recording sound -- stupid design.

Only positive I can think of about this camera is that we paid less than half what Amazon is selling it for used at the pawn shop, so I won't feel too bad about throwing it in a drawer and forgetting about it.
But don't make the mistake we did -- don't buy it.
on January 4, 2011
The battery problem would seem to be an issue of battery contacts. Constant fussing with cleaning both the contacts and batteries gets a lot of life out of batteries. But you should not have to do this nearly every damn time you want to make a pic.

This camera's lens suffers from chromatic aberration causing light of differing colors to be focused in different places. Put simply, things have color fringes. Particularly noticeable on larger images.

I had used Fuji point and shoot. But grabbed one of these off a peg in a discount store while on vacation. Bought it on the strength of AA batteries being something that's easier than dealing with a proprietary NiCd or NiMH battery. And it was the only camera available with this feature.

But really, this utterly compromised camera should never have made it to market.

Look at small Fuji if you want a pocket camera.
on November 5, 2009
I ordered this camera off e-bay factory-refurbished. I love the look of the camera-very sleek and sophisticated. But it was all show and not go. I was told by the company that this camera recorded sound in movie mode. I didn't see any speakers on this camera. Just know this beforehand. This one issue was not a deal breaker for me because I mainly bought the camera for taking pics. The main issue for me was looking at the LCD screen. The images looked slightly grainy/fuzzy for a 10mp camera. Also, I took this camera into the store and compared it to other 10mp cameras (Canon, Nikon, Kodak, Fujifilm, and other Olympus fes# and noticed a yellow/dull tint in the LCD screen in comparison. Imagine looking at the world with slightly colored amber glasses. That's what this LCD screen was like! But I am not electronics savvy, so I waited until I could print the shots to see the print quality. The pictures printed slighty fuzzy. But not the quality I would expect from a 10mp camera. I contacted the warranty department and they questioned whether I had it at a high enough ISO or whether I had set it to the right mode. But high ISO settings didn't change this. The customer service was sluggish to switch the camera but offered to look at it and repair it if need be. But I decided on another camera. I thought that problems with this camera was because it was a refurb, until I read other reviews that a blurriness was a problem with this camera. A few people have reviewed the Fe-25 as taking good pictures. I don't know which is true, I just know what happened with my camera, but I will stress that it was a REFURB.

I ended up looking at the Pentax Optio E60. It is 10mp with a clear sharp LCD screen and when I uploaded pics onto my PC they were so clear compared to the Olympuse FE-25. My final choice was between this one and the Nikon L18. I even liked the look, feel, and performance of the Pentax. One plus about the Nikon was that the LCD screen #3 inch# is really large compared to the Pentax #2.4 inch) and I liked that feature, but I can see just fine with the Pentax and I can be confident that I will get a quality picture! The Olympus Fe-25 ate my batteriers up after the first 50 pictures! The Pentax will last through about 150-200 pictures; and 3X that with two AA lithium batteries. Don't be fooled by the marketing or big names; because they may represent both great and also mediocre performers. I was not as familiar with the Pentax products or their history when I bought this camera; but if you are looking for quality pictures and features that are easy to use this is the way to go!
on March 4, 2010
I bought new Olympus FE-25 6 months ago,it was time upgrade from Olympus 1.3mp thats 8 years old.I like the FE-25 features such as size,2 AA batteries instead of 4,the zoom focus
and settings.Overall was disappointed with quailty of pictures,blurry15-25% of time,15% pictures are overexposed.It's a 50-50 crap shoot,sometimes I get lucky and do get some pictures that are nice.Im thinking of looking at a different Brand.This is "My own opinion.
J.ST.Laurent
on October 3, 2009
I purchased this FE-25 camera to replace an Olympus D560 [3MP] camera purchased in 2004. The D560 performed flawlessly until recently, when the electronics began to malfunction. Sent to Olympus for repair estimate. Camera considered obsolete.....no repairs possible.

Received the FE-25 and began testing the camera in various situations.Problems were immediately apparent. Although this is a 10MP camera and does have some unique features for the money, the actual performance was lackluster and when compared to the 3MP D560 camera it replaced, I was really disappointed!

The battery life is extremely short. At first I thought the battery life could be extended by setting the camera to a lower resolution, so I tried 8MP, then 5 MP, then 3MP settings. The gain was minimal, even at the lowest resolution setting. I tried all of the scene settings including "Program" and "Auto" modes. The resulting photos were not accurately focused.

I returned the Olympus FE-25 and purchased a Nikon L20 which has comparable features and priced competetively. Satisfied with results to date.
on December 3, 2009
I brought this camera a few months ago. I tested everything is fine. But, when we try to use it, battery is dead. Then, we put in our charged (last week) rechargeable battery. It is still no battery power. Then, I put in brand new battery. It is good. A few days later, I tried again. Batter power is gone. I tested the battery, it is still good with my new Nikon L20 camera which I just brought for my daughter. So, I put in another new charged battery and it showed fully power and I left battery inside the camera for one day. Then it has no power today again. So, I do not know how much battery I need to bring to rely on this new camera for vacation. I think I need another camera for my next vacation.
on August 12, 2012
One of the worst pieces of electronics I've ever purchased. Battery life is literally 20 minutes of casual photo (not video) use. Photo quality is grainy and dark. Better off with a $10 cell phone camera from a drug store.
on April 8, 2010
This camera will really take you back. Prohibition. Woodrow Wilson. Ah, the golden era of silent film. Why the nostalgia, you ask?

This darn thing won't record movies with sound! Are they joking? What brilliant engineer thought this was a good idea? Give me a break. If you want to take movies, don't buy this camera