Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$29.99

on June 26, 2012
Before I get into the review, I need to point out that the color choices listed above are NOT for the same model of earphones. My review primarily is for the HP818N Noise Isolating Earphones (black and white). These earphones come with 3 sizes of eartips and with the medium tips installed. At first I wasn't impressed at all with the noise-isolating quality, but then I realized I had not inserted the tips far enough into my ears. Operator error! When you truly seat the tips - that is, you pull gently back on your earlobes and insert the eartips snugly into your ear canals - it makes all of the difference in the world. Then I was quite happy with both the sound quality and the noise isolation. The sound is fuller/richer than other cheap earphones I have used. The noise isolation is provided passively (no batteries) simply by the blocking action of the eartips. At first I thought the eartips were plastic, but I guess they are more of a memory foam. I've had other memory foam earbuds but like these better than others I've tried. With my TV playing at normal volume, I couldn't hear the TV at all as I listened to my iPod. I paused the iPod just to be sure that the TV volume was indeed up (it was). The true test will be an upcoming road trip with kids. We'll see if the earplugs are comfortable for hours and whether the noise isolation works well in the closed environment with many competing sounds. For now tho' I'm sufficiently impressed to give these earphones 5 stars.

Knowing that my teenager would probably hijack these earphones, I ordered another pair, this time in the black cherry. I did notice that the model number was slightly different (HP820CR vs. the HP818N) but was hoping the earphones were virtually identical. They are not. The eartips are different (rubber covers vs. the memory foam type on the HP818N) and this difference yields sound quality, noise isolation, and comfort that are all not quite as good (to my ears) as the HP818N. The HP818N is superior in my opinion.
VINE VOICEon August 25, 2012
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I travel a lot and am always losing my bud headsets so was glad to get this one. It fit well into my ears and looked solid. Tested in on my iMac where i carried on Skype conversations using it and also listened to YouTube videos. It worked fine and the sound was of good quality.

The problem arose when I tried it on my iPhone. It simply did not work. I thought it might have been a loos connection so tried jiggling and twisting it. No luck. Also, if it was just a loos connection, the sound would have briefly appeared in the earbuds when the connection was temporarily restored. This did not happen. So, I don't know why but it just does not work with my iPhone.
VINE VOICEon July 18, 2012
I preface all my headphone reviews with a comment that I was an audio engineer and record producer in NY for a number of years - not to say that makes me better than anyone else, but it has made me extremely picky.

That said, these are a mixed bag. I found the construction to be exceedingly cheap feeling - I didn't have any functional issues, but the wires, buds themselves and the ear cushions felt barely better construction-wise than something handed out on an airplane.

The sound, though, surprised me. While I couldn't get a good seal even with the biggest cushion (and my ears are not bigger than anyone else's, at least as far as I can see), I still found the sound to be far better than expected. A bit midrangy, but that's very common, with highs that weren't soaring, but neither were they harsh, which was nice.

Bottom end was on the weak side, but again I failed to get a great seal - with better cushions the bottom did improve a bit.

I wouldn't spend big money on these, but for under 20 bucks they definitely deliver some value. My biggest concern would be how well they stand up to regular use. I'll give them to my son and report back if the die.
This review is for the HP818N Noise Isolating Earphones.
I can be somewhat particular about my music, and listen to a wide range of styles. At home, I use Sennheiser headphones. I use ear buds for working out.
For the price and for ear buds, these have pretty good sound. They block sound well enough that you shouldn't use these jogging unless you keep the volume low enough to hear traffic. They aren't high bass, it's a good neutral level that works with rock without being thumpy and let's you hear a lot of the detail in classical.
They are very comfortable, with 3 different sizes of soft tips for fitting. The tips are easy to change.
If you're looking for a decent pair of inexpensive ear buds, this is a good choice.
VINE VOICEon July 18, 2012
These headphones have a great snug fit in your ear and provide great bass and deep sounds right out of the box without a "burn-in" period. The plastic insulating the cord feels a little cheap and stiff, especially compared to the "soft" cord of iTunes headphones however its pliable enough to keep from clinging to my clothing/sweater. My primary complaint about these headphones is that the rubber material that the earbuds are made out of cause the insides of my ears to itch after an hour or so of use. This may just be my own sensitivity to earbuds, but these are the first headphones I have used that have caused noticeable irritation to my ears. Overall, they provide great sound and a great fit for the price.
on September 17, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised that the RCA HP818 Noise-Isolating Earphones (Black and white) have a different texture to the earbuds that makes them a little more rigid than the typical silicon ones. Personally, I like this feel, because they tend not to slip out as much, especially while working out. For the price, the sound quality was decent: nothing dramatically impressive or disappointing. As far as noise-isolating goes, I guess it is pretty much exactly what you would get with any object stuffed into your ears, and for better or worse, blocks sound about as effectively as more expensive brands that don't advertise as noise-isolating.
VINE VOICEon August 2, 2012
While I do not consider myself an audiophile or audio snob, I definitely appreciate a good pair of headphones. My primary concerns are quality construction and audio quality. I listen to hours and hours of audio through my headphones at work each day, so I expect a good pair to hold up and sound good for at least a year and a half. While I haven't had this pair that long, I am impressed with what I've seen (or heard) so far. They are well constructed. It is highly flexible, light, and durable. It doesn't get snagged around my desktop as I shift around; instead it moves with me...big plus! The audio sound is quite good...not the greatest...but sounds really good. Recommended.
These earphones, at $18, certainly do not produce the same sound quality nor do they block external noise to near the degree as my $100+ Shure model. However, I found them to be amazingly good for such an inexpensive price. I don't have a lot of experience in inexpensive earphones, but you probably won't be disappointed in these. I was not expecting much out of them and so was quite pleasantly surprised, especially at the sound quality. You need to compress the memory foam before insertion and seat them deep to achieve the sound isolation. The larger pads work better for this purpose.
on July 4, 2012
Okay, for less than $20 you're not going to get audiophile earbuds. That said, the sound is pretty good for pop music. Don't bother if you like classical. The highs are very weak. I could barely hear a violin solo on the first Dvorak track I tried. But that's not the audience these are for, so that's okay. The ear cushions are much thicker than most and not as soft. They also didn't form a seal for me, so I traded them out for a pair on an old set of earbuds. With a good seal the volume is very good. Build quality seems decent. They'll do great for workout earbuds.
VINE VOICEon June 27, 2012
Good headphone. Sounds good with no major complaints. Not quite as much bass as with the higher end headphones. Rubber earpieces seem to sit firmly in the ears. Only real negative is the large size of the base of the jack. The size is just too large, so have to jam it through an iPhone case. Tried it on a second iPhone case and same problem - base of jack is too large to seat nicely in the opening of the iPhone case. Was able to jam it in with some effort though.