100%
Nikon Premier 8x32 Binoculars (Black)
Price:$1,196.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 21, 2010
After doing much research and dreaming about reference class bino's, I settled on this model and am happy I did. I've tried many pairs of binoculars and have owned about 7 myself and these are by far the best yet.

First off, the construction is first rate and well protected from damage with the fully ruber covered armor, and the focus knob is super smooth. The focus is extremely fast and the fastest I've ever used, with only a little turn of like a 1/4 inch making a huge difference in focus. This would normally be a problem since it would make it more difficult to get precise focus, but the smoothness of this focussing device more than makes up for it. The focus is so smooth in fact that it beats out pretty much every binocular on the market such as Leica, Zeiss, and even the already great in this respect Nikon Monarchs. The Nikon Premier 8x32mm's are compact, though a tad heavier at 24.5oz than their flagship europeon counterparts. This isn't a problem for me, since they are very well balanced, still lighter than most 42mm models, and you can feel that the rugged top quality armored cast magnesium construction is built to last. They come with a supplied leather case with a magnetic closure, rainguard, objective covers and a neck strap. Nikons 25 year warranty also is reassuring.

The 32mm model has a wider field of view than the 42mm model, which is ultimately why I chose it.(plus you save a few bucks!) The field of view is 408ft wide at 1000ft which puts it right up there in performance with the best fullsize binoculars available. I compared it side by side to the new Leica 8x42mm Ultrvid HD's that my friend bought and noticed no difference in sharpness or contrast.(Sorry Leica) Granted when I compared the two it was on an overcast day, but I would still expect to notice some difference non-the-less. In the sun or with brightly backlit subjects I would still expect to notice a difference between the Leicas and these, possibly with chromatic abberation performance but you'd be splitting hairs that's for sure. The eye relief is ample and the eyecups have three locking positions and should suit any eyeglass wearer. The eyepieces are flat field corrected for perfect sharpness to the edges of the field. They are very sharp, have very high contrast, and have that "pop" to the image that you only get with the best, all for about a third of the price of the top binoculars out there. The brightness during the day is no different than the 42mm models due to an interesting little effect between the 4mm exit pupil and your eye's pupil diameter. The only time you'd notice the field of view starting to close in or the brightness dropping due to the smaller 32mm objectives, is well after dusk when the birds are asleep anyway and nobody except night hunters and possibly S.W.A.T. officers are out using binoculars. They are still plenty bright at dusk, or before sunrise, and only loose some performance in what I would call "twilight" conditions. There is some distortion when you pan while looking through these I think due to the flat field correction in the eyepieces, but it's not an issue worth worrying about. When you do stop panning everything is razor sharp to the edges of the field and to me that's more important. An excellent choice for any birder. At the current pricing for these, they are a steal and a pretty big step up from the already very good Nikon Monarchs. Get them and you'll never need another pair.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again