on November 9, 2009
After months of trying to decide if we should buy an exercise bike, we finally bit the bullet. We went right down to Dick's sporting goods and even though they didn't have one on display, they did have one int he back. We bought the Schwinn 240 due to it being one of the newest models. Some of the things we really liked better were minor, but made the difference to us. The number of different programs were higher than the other models. Being able to remember a user's information was also a huge positive from other models where every time a different user uses the equipment you have to reset all your information. The cup holder not being under the seat but on the console made more sense and having the basket to store magazines and things just seemed neater. It took about 1.5 hours to assemble. Hint: A couple of the parts were already on the bike which was confusing when comparing to the parts list. The model is nice looking, smaller than our elliptical and easy to move around with the wheels. I haven't had it long enough yet to know how it will hold up, but it's very sturdy, very quiet and seems like it will last for a long time.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2009
Verified Purchase
I did extensive research before I bought this bike. I've ridden it for about ten hours since assembly and am simply delighted with it. I am a good mechanic and assembled it by myself in about three hours. The assembly manual has little text, mostly illustrations; but they marginally suffice, more text would be very helpful.

The console electronic cable going the top of the front wheel hardware has connectors at both ends -- they must be connected to the proper connectors, they are not the same configuration and are not interchangeable. So beware, the bike parts I received had this cable reversed so I was unable to connect the connectors until I removed the cable and reversed its "to -- from" direction.

The text regarding the programming of a user is unsatisfactory, confusing, does not effective communicate to a reader.

When registering the bike, you must have its serial number, the serial number is located on the bottom of the front stabilizer, record it before you assemble the bike.

In sum, if you are looking for an outstanding recumbent exercise bike at a most reasonable price, I urge you to purchase this bike.
Verified Purchase
OVERVIEW: The Schwinn 240 is an excellent recumbent exercise bike. My remarks address problems with shipping and assembly.

FREE SHIPPING VIA PILOT: It works, but, as other reviewers have elaborated, has snags. I ordered the Schwinn 240 on 11/22. Its delivery originated in Hayward CA, 26 miles south of my home. The bike was shipped 11/23 to Phoenix AZ, apparently because Pilot is headquartered there. The bike was shipped back to Hayward, arriving 11/27, with the box damaged in transit. Delivery was scheduled 11/30 for 1:59:48 PM. The bike finally arrived about 7:30PM 11/30. Damage was only to the box.

INSTRUCTION BOOKLETS:
(1) The printed materials supplied are in English and French. Supposedly instructions in Spanish are available from Schwinn's website but I could not locate them. Register the bike on Schwinn's website in the Customer Service section.
(2) The printed assembly and use booklets are 5.5x8.5 inches (WxL) and are printed on high quality glossy paper that may well outlast the bike. Pictures in the assembly booklet are small, only about 40% of the page; about 60% of each page is blank! The small pictures and minuscule labels are hard to read, so get out your magnifying glass. Schwinn should take a cue from IKEA, which has instructions with large diagrams printed on cheap 8.5x11-inch paper. I assembled the bike using a magnifying glass, repeatedly cursing Schwinn.
(3) But here is the solution that I found *after* assembling the bike and on starting to peruse the equally hard-to-read use manual. Go to Schwinn's website and download the PDFs of the assembly and use manuals (these PDFs are also available on this Amazon page!). The pages will print out on 8.5x11-inch paper with larger diagrams and print (closer to IKEA quality). The written instructions are in English (front) and French (back), so just print out the language needed.
(4) Schwinn's written instructions (both English and French) are woefully inadequate. Hence I offer some detailed elaborations for assembly:

TIME REQUIRED: At least an hour to unpack the parts, organize them, clean up, and recycle the waste. Roughly two hours to assemble the bike properly plus a bit more time to make personal adjustments (seat, pedal straps, console, etc.) on the assembled bike.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY POINTS:
(1) The screws, washers, and other small parts come attached to two pieces of cardboard, the parts held in place by blister plastic. Carefully remove the parts and organize them in the same layout as on the cardboard. Do not discard the cardboard until after the bike is assembled.
(2) Before each assembly step doublecheck diagrams so that you do not install a part backwards or upside down.
(3) When connecting two parts carefully align screws with screw holes, finger tighten, and then tool-tighten alternate holes to avoid torquing a part (that is, as one would alternately tighten lug nuts when replacing a flat tire on a vehicle).
(4) Tighten screws in a clockwise and loosen counterclockwise, or remember the ditty: Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

EXPANDED ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS:
(1) Attach stabilizers to main frame: This step is easier with a second person helping to align parts. The larger stabilizer goes in the rear, the smaller one, with wheels forward, goes in the front. Record the model and serial number from the bottom of the rear stabilizer before installation.
(2) Attach side handlebars to seat frame: This step is fairly clear, though it is awkward to juggle the parts being attached. The silver heart-rate-sensors should face up.
(3) Attach seat pads to seat frame assembly: This is also a juggling step for one person. The seat back has eight holes for the four screws. There is no explanation in the assembly manual but presumably the lower set of holes is for persons of average height whereas the upper set of holes is for very tall persons.
(4) Slide seat assembly onto seat rail: An insert requires that the seat assembly (item 13) held in place by seven screws (these are loosely tightened) be first removed,
(5) Connect heart rate cable to seat assembly: A simple step.
(6) Install seat rail bracket: Note the proper orientation of seat bracket (item 10).
(7) Install seat assembly to frame assembly: This step is easier with a second person helping to align parts. The seat bracket (item 10) goes inside the seat tube. It may have arrived temporarily but improperly installed outside the tube. The electronic cable should be completely inserted in the rear seat tube to avoid crimping the cable.
(8) Install console mast to frame assembly: Be sure the cables are properly oriented and not inverted. Male prongs couple to female receptacles; note the tabs for orientation and push with lots of force to couple securely. I found it useful to tie a string to the handlebar ends of the cables in case they fall into the console tube (item 14) during its insertion into the flywheel base. It is easier to insert (loosely tighten) the two side screws first and then the two front screws because the latter might fall inadvertently into the chamber, in which case their retrieval would be tedious. In inserting the four rubber caps do not over-push them into the aforenoted chamber but carefully with a screwdriver put the inner flange of the rubber cap inside the hole.
(9) Attach upright handlebar to console mast: be sure the handlebars are properly centered on the stem; otherwise the plastic cap (item 9) will not fit properly.
(10) Attach console bracket to console mast: Stick the cables through the console bracket; remove any string. The hex bolt (item 3) and nut (item K) go through the lower pivot holes. Use the two tools depicted to tighten the hex bolt and nut so that the bracket pivots freely. The carriage bolt (item F) and plastic knob (item M) go through the upper adjustable arc opening.
(11) Connect console cables to console: Note orientation of the tabs being connecting. Be sure the cables are securely attached,
(12) Attach console to console bracket: Don't waste time looking for the four screws. They are attached to the rear of the console and require removal before the required attachment.
(13) Install pedals on crank arms: The petals and straps are labeled left (L) or right (R). Note that the left pedal is tightened counterclockwise (not the usual clockwise to tighten). The logo on the strap goes on top with the larger number of holes toward the outside. Depending on storage, one or both straps may be curved the opposite wrong way; beware.
(14) Connect power cord: A simple step.
(15) Attach water bottle holder to console mast: Watch orientation of parts: black piece outside with the two large holder arms facing up; red piece inside with bottom support facing down.
(XX) Final adjustments: Doublecheck that all screws and bolts are adequately tightened. Remove the protective film from the console and sides of the flywheel container. Level bike. Adjust seat and pedal straps. Finally adjust tilt of console for maximum legibility (in my case tilted all the way forward). Program console (see use manual, which also needs more detailed instructions). WARNING: Do NOT unplug the power cord (the transformer stays warm--an energy vampire!) or else your saved settings will be lost. It would be nice if the bike had a memory feature to preserve settings as do digital cameras and other electronic devices.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 31, 2009
Verified Purchase
I have been a runner for over 20 years and a recent ankle injury has me on bike exercise only. After spending the first week of my new exercise instructions on a Precor recumbent bike at my hotel (While on vacation), I was really worried about coming down from the $3,000 price range bike I became spoiled using. I researched bikes online for hours and thought the Schwinn 200 series bikes appeared to be the most quiet, well built, highly recommended and reasonably priced of all the brands I looked at. After having this bike (Schwinn 240) just over 2 weeks, and logging in more than 200 miles using most of the preset programs, I could not be more satisfied with my purchase. This bike rivals the workout of the Precor and is actually more quiet. Obviously the Precor is a larger machine and the sheer mass of the Precor will make it more solid, but I have to admit that the Schwinn gives it a run ... and for the price difference ... the Schwinn blows it away!

Assembly was not that difficult, but I agree with the previous reviews that the written instructions could have been more detailed. I wish that the manual would explain each workout a little so that I would have had a better idea of what each workout would be like ... but it was kind of interesting trying each one out not knowing what to expect.

Amazon did great shipping this product. I was actually pleasantly surprised as to how quickly something this large ended up at my doorstep. The trucking company that Amazon used was extremely courteous and very accommodating.

While I am really missing my running, I have to admit that I love this bike. I also own an Octane Fitness Elliptical Machine that is health club quality ($3,000), but doctor orders keep me off that machine too. This bike gives a different workout when compared to running and the elliptical machine, but I still feel like I am getting an excellent workout with the bike. I would highly recommend the Schwinn 240 to anyone looking for a very good recumbent exercise bike!
on November 10, 2009
I just purchased the Schwinn 240. It is the first exercise bike I have ever owned but have used others my friends had. This machine is light years ahead of what I've used before.

After having tried other brands I settled on this one due to how well it is constructed, ease of use etc.

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars because the instructions as to how to use it to get the most out of it SUCK! I wrote the company concerning this. It was *kind of* easy to initially set it up. (Don't set it up for Guest if you are the primary user or it won't save your workouts.) It is alot of guess work for me to go from going to my name then getting to the actual workout screen.

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually but, why should I have to? That should be Schwinn's responsibility to have already figured it out for me to make my life a little more simpler!

Also, all the parts to put it together come on two pieces of card board with plastic over them to keep them in place. There are numbers etc. under each nut and bolt but none of these letters and numbers match up with the book to put the machine together. You have to figure that out for yourself by looking at the pictures in the book. Another Schwinn blunder. They could very easily have put a number under each nut and put that **same** number in the book.

Other than these blunders, I really love the machine and am getting lots of use from it! I hope to have it many years and extend my quality of life for many years to come.

Schwinn, get a clue. We don't want to learn this machine by trial and error. Put together a better manual on how to use this machine. Don't make me have to put one together for you!
on October 30, 2009
Verified Purchase
I purchased this bike over a month ago. It has been fantastic. I am a 6ft 4in 220 lb man and this machine accommodates me perfectly. It has unbelievable resistance levels. I once was a 600lb squatter and this machine can exhaust my legs. My wife is 5ft 4in and it will adjust to accommodate her just fine as well. Not sure about the longevity as I have not owned it long enough. I love the multi color back light display. Assembly was a snap and I accomplished unloading and assembly with no help. Amazon had a good price with no tax and free shipping. I would recommend to anyone wanting a quality machine at a good price. I hope the machine holds up for years to come. So far so good. Great preprogrammed workouts that will push the most experienced riders and lifters alike. Plus who doesn't like working out in a nice reclined position.
on December 10, 2009
I was mainly looking for a recumbent exercise bike for my wife for Christmas. I did a lot of research on the Internet, but learned that probably 90% of the review websites are run by affiliates of one sales company or another. The sites look very professional, but the bottom line is that they want you to click the link on their website to the sales company so they can receive a commission (seemed 8% was not unusual). This is probably widely known, but I only discovered it after researching a company that only sells their bikes on the Internet. They were selling a bike for for 66% off list for $599. Not knowing anything about this company I wanted to check it out and stumbled on a blog by someone who used to be an affiliate with company, but was disgruntled by the fact he had been kicked out. Apparently, his website did not measure up to the company's standards (perhaps not professional enough). Indeed, I found a link on the company's homepage advertising for affiliates. Further, they mentioned that they have a full time person whose only job is to check out the websites of affiliates. I really liked the specs on the bike, but I looked and looked and could not find one review that was even the least bit negative. I came to the conclusion that I could not trust the reviews. I have always had good luck with Amazon, while there may be some bogus reviews, I know that most Amazon reviews are real because Amazon will let you bash their products and even their service.
So on the Amazon website the Schwinns looked like the best bet. It seems you have 3 main choices, the 20, 220, and 240. We were able to find the 20 and 240 at Dicks and the 220 at Sports Authority. Personally, I liked the 20, the seat locks on through a suction device on a large square metal bar. I found this very easy to adjust and it was very stable. The computer was easy to use, although lacking personal programming etc. The riding levels seemed to adjust smoothly and quietly (as was true for all of the Schwinns). If it were just I, I would have gone for the 20. However, my wife found the seat to be somewhat hard. She liked the 240 as it had extra padding and a computer that loads personal programs, stores data from all your rides and is backlit. On working hard on the pedals, I thought the seat on the 240 wobbled a bit. The 220 was similar to the 240, maybe a little less padding and a less sophisticated computer with no backlighting. As I was buying this for my wife, her opinion ruled and we decided on the 240. Dick's and Amazon had it for the same price (449), but with the free shipping and no tax I was leaning toward Amazon. However from reading all the reviews for the 240 and similar models, shipping seemed to be an issue. So we went to Dick's and they had sold the last one in stock. However, they did still have the floor model, which looked brand new. Essentially, they offered us the floor model including a 2-year in house full warranty for the regular price. Knowing Dick's stands by their products, we took the offer. As a bonus, it was already assembled.
My wife and I have been using it for a week now and really like it. I downloaded the manual for the computer off the Schwinn website and with a little trial and error, I think we have that figured out. I feel it is as good as any bike I have ridden at a gym. Yes the seat does wobble just a bit, but I have learned how to sit so that the wobbling is minimized. We ride it in the family room in front of the TV with the lights low, so the backlit screen is nice. If we had not gotten the deal at Dick's, then we would have likely taken our chances with Amazon's free shipping, as it does seem that only the package and not the bike is usually damaged.
on February 8, 2010
Verified Purchase
After a lot of research we bought the Schwinn 240 for our family. The package arrived in good shape. My husband and son were able to assemble it in about an hour. After a few minutes of riding it my rear hurt from the seat. Also, the back seemed to lean back way too far and was not adjustable. I tried the bike several times and was very unhappy with how uncomfortable the seat was. My back and rear would begin to hurt before my legs did. My 18 year old son decided to use it and rode several days for an hour at a time. Suddenly, the console went dark and it just quit working. My husband could not see any problem. We called the manufacturer and got good service. They sent us a new console. We put it on, it worked for a little while then quit again. We asked AMAZON if we could send it back and they said yes. They sent SEVA to pick it up and gave us a refund. Their service was excellent. With the rave reviews about this bike, it's possible we just got a lemon. Even if this bike had worked, I would have never bought it based on the seat and back although it rode very smoothly, while it lasted.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2010
Verified Purchase
First off the facts: This is not a lightweight piece of equipment. The box states it should be "mechanically lifted" but since you're not likely to have your own forklift, you MIGHT want to use a dolly to move the box into your house. Otherwise, get some help to move it. I didn't get any help moving the box and wished I had had some.

The whole thing needs assembly which takes around 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do by yourself, Some parts of it might go faster with help, but you really don't need help if you're patient. All the necessary tools were included in the package, and thankfully no parts were missing.

Once I got the whole thing put together, I gave it a try. It has a very simple LED display that stores your information and lets you choose what kind of exercise program you want to run. It comes with built in heart rate monitoring with sensors in the handgrips near the seat. Unfortunately after a while it gets tedious to hold on to these handgrips, but the feedback on your heart rate really is invaluable in determining how much more you can take.

My personal favorite of all the routines it has is based on your heart rate. It has you cycle for a minute or so to get your heart rate up and stable, and then increases the load until your desired heart rate range is achieved. This seems very effective at getting the most out of your workout, though some might find it boring as it only increases or decreases the load until you are in the proper heart rate range.

The other workout modes are primarily a set of increases and decreases of the load at regular intervals. The display lets you know how much time is left before the next change in difficulty and also how much time is left overall, or if you're just going for a set distance instead of a time limit, it lets you know how long you've ridden so far. It also tells you the distance you've traveled, your speed in RPMs as well as MPH, how many calories you've burned, and how many watts of power you've generated.

As noted before, you can keep track a couple of different users to see how many workouts you've done, how many total calories you've burned, and some other details. It doesn't seem to do much more than that though. I had thought it was going to suggest changes to the routine based on my profile, but it doesn't seem to do that. The manual is also very vague on what you can and can not do with the bike as far as the routines and your profile. Fortunately you don't need to know much since (as far as I know) the programs are all very basic.

As for the bike itself, the seat is very comfortable and it's adjustable to a variety of lengths, though I can't really say as to whether this would be good for a very short or very very tall person. For my height (under 6') it seems fine. The mechanisms are very quiet, and the only sounds it seems to make are various squeaks from my weight shifting in the seat. This is very minor though and I may be able to tighten up the bolts a bit more to reduce that entirely. It seems very sturdy, and so far has been well worth the money.
on June 21, 2011
Verified Purchase
I would give it ZERO stars if I could. This product is absolute GARBAGE. It worked for two months and then the console died. Amazon says you have to contact Schwinn/Nautilus for warranty service. When you "contact" them, you literally wait on hold for HOURS. I tried calling 4 times. The MINIMUM amount of time I was on hold was 2 hrs 20 minutes. Each and every time I failed to get a live person. On my 4th occasion, I literally called in, got put on hold by their phone system, put the phone on speaker, and let it set there ALL DAY while I worked. Nobody ever took the call. 6+ hours straight on hold. 4 calls, over 15 total hours spent on hold, NO CONVERSATION WITH A LIVE HUMAN BEING. If you can't speak to anyone, how the hell are you supposed to schedule warranty service??? Oh, and like one other reviewer said, they don't answer emails either.

Do yourself a favor and save your self the $400 and loads of headaches and frustration. Put the $400 toward a quality machine, not this crap!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...