Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

94%

on March 9, 2011
We use Microsoft Communicator (OCS aka Lync) extensively at work. I've tried just about all the different headsets and speakerphones out there. This Plantronics MCD100-M USB speakerphone is consistently the one that comes out on top. People in my office have taken to putting their name on them, as they are often borrowed by others in the office.

It's heavy and well made. Large speaker and quality microphone. No software to install, and has volume and mute buttons right on the unit. I've even used it to record podcast interviews. It's a tad on the bulky side if you're going to keep it in your laptop bag, but it feels like you could drop it down the stairs and it would keep working. It uses a standard mini USB cord, which is *not* hard wired into the unit which is a real plus in my book.

The Polycom CX100 is a little more portable (I have one of those too) but the sound quality on this Plantronic is a bit better. Highly recommended, especially if you're trying to still use your laptop speaker and mic for Skype or Office Communicator.

[EDIT June, 2012]
While I still like and use this speakerphone, the model I know recommend is the Jabra one here: Jabra Speak 410 Oc Speakerphone USB for Ms Lync It has better controls, is lighter weight, and the audio quality is slightly higher. See my full review there.
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2011
I had doubts about this because the info emphasized it being optimized for Microsoft Communicator, which I don't have (and it's not needed). I plugged it in, it was recognized instantly, plug and play. I have Vista as my operating system- went to Sound in the Control Panel, made it the default over my computer's internal mike and speakers (it was listed there automatically), played with the input/output levels a bit (settled on 100% for both), and VOILA, perfection. I'm using it with Google Voice, and Gmail chat. The sound is phenomenal, no interference whatsoever, and I can speak in a soft/normal tone of voice from least four-five feet away (I haven't tried speaking with it further away yet, but I have a canary in the next room, and one caller could clearly hear him). Callers say it sounds like a regular landline. Likewise, their voices are loud and clear, and natural. No headset to wear, no phone to hold on to. I keep it plugged in and use it as my computer speaker. I've owned many speakerphones, including expensive ones, and this is as good as the best of them- it's full duplex, so you can both talk non-stop, overlap, etc.

You can adjust the speaker loudness on the unit itself, up to ultra-loud- so if you're on hold, you can go about your business. And, it is a beautiful piece of equipment, much nicer than the picture conveys- black metal with a cool grill, solid, with blue backlighting. Love it!!!

Added 11/2012: I'm still using this, daily, couldn't do without it, have dropped it hundreds of times and it still works perfectly, it's SOLID. Also wanted to add that it has a fantastic omni-directional, echo-cancelling microphone, I use it to make voice recordings, it's top notch as a standalone mike.
on August 6, 2011
Then again, this is also the only speakerphone I've ever purchased...

Nevertheless, I'm very pleased with the product. Superb clarity. It was a cinch to set up the product on my Win7 PC.

Would buy again!
on January 13, 2012
I picked up one of these off of eBay simply because the price was right and these reviews were good. Previously we'd been using the onboard mic from a laptop to do conference calls. It worked, but you couldn't type on the computer while conversing as the other party would hear an incredible clanking noise with every keystroke. The sound also wasn't as clear and both sides would frequently have to ask the other to repeat themselves.

After getting the mic, a lot of those problems just disappeared. We could hear far more clearly as the external speaker's volume was louder and clearer than the computer's speakers. The mic on the device is also a lot more sensitive and picks up well from around 10-15 feet away. We do have some issues if it's not pointed towards those speaking (the mic is located in the rounded portion of the grill on the side,) but you just need to turn it towards you and it works perfectly. I'd love it if it had multiple mics and covered more of the room, but we just place the mic further back in larger meetings and make sure that it faces everyone and the other party is able to hear just fine. There doesn't appear to be any problem with feedback and the mic does an excellent job of cancelling out echos from the speaker.

I'm very pleased with this. It's expensive, but it's portable (less that 6 inches square and 2 inches high) and sounds great. It works perfectly with Skype - it transfers the control to it instantly without you having to do a thing. I haven't been able to get it to work with Google Talk or other programs, but I've honestly not tried that hard. I'm sure it would work if needed. A big plus is that it doesn't require any drivers to be downloaded to be installed on Windows - we've used it on XP and Vista without missing a beat as Windows already has them present.

Plantronics has always made higher end stuff that works well. I'm very happy with this and recommend it to any small business.
on July 7, 2012
Works great. Plugged into work PC running Vista 32 which is locked and it worked straight out the box. No software was needed to be installed.
on May 8, 2014
We have several of these at work for conference calls. I just bought one for home for when I'm meeting with customers from there. They are absolutely perfect in every way.

One word of caution: they have a VERY sensitive mic - one time we were in a conference call and someone whispered "I don't think that's going to work" and the customer heard it.
on August 19, 2010
Exactly what I wanted. This is equivalent to a high quality business conference phone. Crystal clear. Install was automatic: just plug in and wait 20 seconds. Skype picked up the phone instantly.
on June 3, 2012
We bought this one based on reviews and avoided buying other Amazon choices by their bad reviews. This one was more expensive.
But we made the right choice. The speaker quality excellent, and the mic apparently does it's job too given reports from our callers.
The acoustic echo cancellation in this unit seems to work excellent as there is little chopping of audio as we switch from speaking to listening and vice versa, or even interrupting each other. Pretty darn happy with this little unit.

Highly recommended. Of course if Skype has packet loss over the net, ain't nothing you can do about that. That's why for real business you call long distance over regular POTS.
on March 12, 2013
Of course, I have always had a high opinion of Plantronics, and the MCD100-M speakerphone did not disappoint. We have daily conferences with our team in the office and use Microsoft Lync to video conference in remote team members. We had struggled to get various microphones to work in the past, but this unit worked really, really well, right out of the box. Setup was very easy, and the remote guys were able to hear everyone in the room perfectly.
on March 2, 2014
I bought this for work. Specifically, I use it for Skype.
My coworkers have been impressed by this unit.
It sounds like we are all in the same room. It has a bit of weight to it and does not feel cheap.
Has a very convenient mute button built-in on top of the device. It is powered by the USB and no batteries are needed.
One of the best i've been able to experience so far.
I'm considering buying a second unit for home.