Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on November 20, 2009
A few years ago I got the Alex Dirty Dogs toy for my daughter. Her set came with 4 dogs and a washcloth. I see by the previous review here that there appears to be two versions of this toy -- one with 3 dogs and one with 4. Despite the fact the 3-dog version does claim to have 4 dogs in the product description, you can see by the photos there appear to be two different packages (before you click to get the details). The other 4-dog set shows it is currently unavailable, but has better reviews than the sole one here. I must say I was disappointed to see the sort of poor review for the 3-dog set as this makes me wonder if the quality has gone down. The ones my daughter had worked fine to begin with, but now at a few years old, actually all the dirty spots are practically gone (Guess she really did clean those dogs!). She has played a lot with them, in and out of the bath. Sometimes she likes to play with them in the sink. For the price, they were well worth it as she has gotten a lot of use out of them over the past 2 years and even now still plays with them even though the dirty spots don't behave as they used to. At this point I am considering getting the dirty piggies for her, I just hope that the quality on those will be as good as the dogs were 2 years ago.
on December 12, 2010
These are cute rubbery, plastic dogs. The "dirt" spots disappear when wet. They shoot tickling streams of water out of their mouths when you squeeze them. Most of the toys in the bath are ill-equipped for aquatic life having been drafted from the doll house and other terrestrial sources. These dogs, in contrast, have a distinct advantage and thrive in the aquatic environment.

They aren't as fiercely loyal as one would expect from canines in constant need of baths. They will switch sides in a water fight in a heart beat, so watch your back.

Only the Fox Terrier gets invited on the bathtub boat to play with Stretchy Bunny and Zoe. The other two dogs can be unruly and don't like tea, so they have to sit in the toy basket with the Alphabet.
44 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2012
My 9 month old LOVED these doggies when he got them. Perfect for little hands, fun for squirting and tasty too.... and that's when I threw them away. I noticed that there was discoloration along the bottoms of the dogs where they stood/sat and discovered that it was mold. The water sits in the bottom of the inside (no matter how hard you try to get all the water out...) and eventually turns black/brown moldy. I had to sneak them into the trash while he wasn't looking - very disappointed given how well received they were.
on October 13, 2011
This is cute. My baby loves to play with them in the bath. Problem is, the dogs don't look much different when you try to clean them. The dots actually rub off after a while. It seems that the paint isn't of the best quality. Don't know if it is toxic or not, but it is kind of concerning to me since my baby puts everything in his mouth.
on October 17, 2011
the water is hard to get out of the head of the dogs, one of them came with a rip in the leg, and they aren't as fun as they look. My son (22 months) however likes to play with them in the bath, so nothing lost.
on June 22, 2015
Having read other reviews that said those "dirty" spots don't disapear as promissed, I decided to order since my daugther loves dogs. We used them today at bath time for the first time and guess what? Correct: they don't dissapear at all! I believe that Alex Toys made just one production run of this toys and in the first months/years they worked, but the "magic" ink has dried over time and lost its "magic".
Anyway, I'm giving them 4 stars since dogs are cute, have a good size and put a big smile in my daughters face today! (there are very few rubber dogs in the market).
Other wrote about accumulated water inside the dogs, I was thinking on sealing then with a mini silicone drop in the mouth's hole (squirting toys is not something I looked for), but for my surprise the holes were factory-closed in my dogs. I'm happy with the purchase and the price I paid for.
on March 26, 2015
Color changing did not work on any of the dogs. I tried cold water. I tried hot water. I tried warm water. I tried soaking them. I tried rubbing them. They do not work at all, not even a little bit. Very disappointed.
on October 1, 2011
My 1 1/2 year old daughter loves these dogs. At first she was interested in washing the spots off, but over time the spot washing doesn't work as well, and she lost interest in that aspect quickly. Now she just likes to play with them in the bath having them do various scenarios from her own imagination. The main problem I have with this toy is that it's hard to get all the water out and after about 4 months there was disgusting black gunk--mildew, I suppose--on the inside of the dogs. One of the lighter-colored dogs is made of thinner plastic and you can see that he/she is now black inside. If you squeeze the dogs now then black flakes come out of their mouths. So I'm not thrilled about having her bathe with these dogs when they are probably emitting some kind of mold and mildew into the tub. Nevertheless, she loves playing with them so much, I'm considering buying her a replacement set, but compared to other packages of Alex bath toys that usually have about six pieces, the price for these three dogs is pretty high, considering the spot-washing feature doesn't even work all that well.
on January 11, 2015
My daughter loves these and likes giving the dogs a bath. They bark and chase the other bath toys around the tub. I took two stars off because the mud spots don't fade enough on the dogs when she washes them. The spots fade just a little bit, not like the picture on the packaging depicts they do, but to a 2 year old not enough to be noticeable so she scrubs them a lot trying to get them clean. We haven't had them long enough yet to see if they grow mold like other reviewers have said.
on October 9, 2014
These are cute but because of the location of the squirt holes on the dogs' mouths, it's hard to get all of the water out. I attempted to drain them after each use but they ended up getting mold in them (which I could see from the outside on the white dog because it had large dark spots on the inside that you could see from the outside). I bleached them but the dark spots didn't go away and I decided not to give them back to my son. I would only consider these if your children are past the stage of putting everything in their mouths and even then, I would probably still go with a different toy altogether.

See 1 answered question