Top critical review
2 people found this helpful
1st DOA. 2nd Fast with Issues
on July 4, 2009
My previous review stated my first machine was dead on arrival. I took it back and they tested it and agreed it was dead. "Something must have come loose" the tech said! I asked if they had gotten many back-- he said 'no' that I was the first that he knew of.
Second machine booted up without a problem. After using it solid for over a day I think it's a fast machine at a good price point-- but has several issues and I'm slightly concerned about its longevity. Here's my list:
- Fast boot-up: Wow-- the machine is off-to-on quicker than I have ever seen.
- Great HD Playback: this is the reason I got the machine and I would have been disappointed if not the case, however, it's still great to see full 1920x1080 video playback w/o skipping a beat. I'm used to editing with proxy video, but now I can use the source directly. Great!
- Case and Connections: The case is much nicer than earlier Acer models. It also has a nice array of connections.
- Documentation. Very sparse documents in the box. The quick-start page was so generic it would be very little help to the un-initiated (showed a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.) I wouldn't want my parents trying to assemble the pieces of this machine. The electronic manual on the machine is also pretty generic.
- The speakers look cool, but are cheap and pick up a LOT of noise. Unusable.
- The keyboard also seems cheap and I'm concerned about its longevity. I like the volume wheel, but wish it triggered an on-screen display.
- Back-up Disc failed. This process was very frustrating. First, it did not let me use DL DVDs. Then the first disc took 20 minutes to burn and then began verifying. It was going to take 2hrs to verify! I was going to have to do this for 3 discs! There was no cancel button so I had to force quit and decided to come back to this at night. When I did, every subsequent attempt stated that I did not have a blank DVD in the drive-- though I did (tried two different brands.) I assumed the problem was because I had updated Vista and added programs between the attempts, but why say my media was invalid?
- McAffe. Registration software states I get an extra 60 days plus my original 60. However, when activated with registration it says I only get 90 days total (30 original, not 60)
- Blinking Power Light: When in Sleep Mode, the top power light blinks like a strobe light! It is incredibly bright and annoying in a dark room. Since my machine is in my bedroom I cannot use it this way. I have to cover-up the power button or put the machine in Off mode.
- HDD size. Ok-- this drive is big enough I shouldn't quibble, but it makes me mad that is not 750Gigs. I know there a difference between true Gigs and what manufacturers report as "1000 Megs", but this one comes up short either way. Vista reports two 341G drives, but properties show two 367.5 drives-- thus 735 Gigs total. Where's the other 15Gigs?
The machine also has ad-supported Works and a lot of crap-ware. I really don't think of this as a huge negative because I realize they are what help keep the price down. After about 15 minutes of un-installing they are gone.
All-in-all I'm happy. Bottom line is the above issues don't offset the fact that it is a really fast machine at a good price.