Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Teva Men's Katavi Thong Outdoor Sandal
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 23, 2011
I love wearing flip flops, and here in California you can wear them for much of the year. Most flip flops--especially the drugstore cheapies-- offer little or no support and break down quickly. While the thin soles are comfortable for lounging around and short walks, you can't walk around in them all day.

I've been on a quest for better quality thong type sandals that offer more of the support and cushioning that you would get out of an athletic or walking shoe. Cost is no object. I've had several, including the original Reef Fanning 'athletic'thong sandal, the new expensive Reef X-S-1 high tech sandal, Sperry Topsider Santa Cruz sandal, and this Teva Katavi Thong. Of all of them, the Tevas are the best. They offer the best combination of comfort, cushioning and support.

The original Reef Fannings are nice sandals, but the forefoot sole area is too thin and wears out pretty quickly. It's easy to stub your toes, but the air cushion heel area holds up nicely. The Reef X-S-1 is expensive, and it has the same thin forefoot area under the ball of the foot and the toes. While the high tech running shoe trampoline heel is nice and cushiony, it is built up much more than the forefoot, making it feel like you're wearing a heel that's too high. The Sperry Topsider Santa Cruz is a nice, luxurious sandal with real leather trim at a fair price, but it has the opposite problem: it's very flat and could use a tad more heel cushioning. The forefoot thickness and cushioning is good, though the cushioning is somewhat firm. They also run big, and my feet tend to move around because the straps are so loose on the feet.

The Teva Katavi is perfect. It's true to size, has ample cushioning, and the perfect ratio of forefoot and heel cushioning. Teva has been making excellent sport sandals that strap around the heel for years. The soles of these Katavi flip flops are like the those of Teva's other sport sandals. It's the perfect blend of enough cushioning without being too soft, and they don't break down quickly.

Eventually I will wear out my current pair of Katavi thongs because I wear them so much. When I do, I am going to get another pair for sure. They are the best pair of walking flip flops I've seen out there at any price.
22 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
I can be considered a Sandal expert. I have tried every type of sandal you could imagine I live in miami and I wear sandals everywhere. From Birkenstock to the cheap 1 dollar ones. Rarely wear shoes. I even have dress sandals. I got a farmers tan of the thong sandals on my feet. These Teva's at first felt nice on my feet. They have decent arch support, and are really comfortable, BUT they don't hold the moisture/sweat from your well. After a couple hours of using it felt like was walking on a slimy surface, disgusting. I wanted to give these a try because my favorite Sandals, Sperry Santa Cruz of all time always break around the 1 year mark. (They got a lot of usage)
These Teva's look well made and if you can take the slippery feeling were you feet make contact, then go ahead and buy them, you will love them. I personally don't like the feeling, I tried to like these sandals, but after going on the boat deep sea fishing with them and little splashes of water would make me slip inside my sandal I couldn't take it anymore. The sandal grips the floor fine but not my feet. Compared to the Reef sandals these are a way more comfortable, but reef has good tread on the sole. The Sperry Santa Cruz is comfortable has excellent arch support, amazing sole that can be cleaned, and has great anti-moisture/sweat ridges on the sole. I don't know how well these Teva's are built or how long they last, but the Santa Cruz last 1-2 years before they break ALWAYS in the same spot, the thong to the sole joint. I have had 4 Santa Cruz Sandals in the past 7 years. I just ordered my 5th. I will keep the Teva as back-up sandals. My preference of sandals is as followed: Sperry Santa Cruz, Birkenstock, Teva, crocs, Reef, dollar store sandals. Hope this helps any future purchasers. Overall, Teva's aren't bad I just can't take that disgusting feeling of sweat with dirt on my feet. Again, if you don't mind or sweat buy them you'll love them like the other 5 stars.
55 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2012
I read a review that said they are slippery when wet but figured I had a pair of older model tevas that were great and that must have been a fluke, well unfortunately these sandals are useless and hazardous to me on the rainy side of hawaii, or walking after the beach. when they get wet the top surface of them becomes very slippery and my foot is always sliding off of them and my legs get very sore with my toes trying to keep the sandals on. Also with the uneven terrain of lava, it makes is so easy to twist an ankle. Luckily I bought a pair of Spenco mens sandals because a freind raved about them... they were half the cost of these Tevas and very comfortable, durable and really hug the feet making them perfect for climbing down the cliff to the beach... these Tevas are too slippery to be safe taking them down a cliff trail.

UPDATE AFTER TWO WEEKS WEARING: The bottom rubber is starting to peel off from the front edge and its about 3 inches back by now. My old pair did the same thing so I wore them without the 1/2 inch rubber tread after epoxy failed to keep it on. It is such a bumber because these are very comfortable sandals but I cant justify trying another pair unless these design issues are fixed.
on July 21, 2013
I really wanted to love these flip flops. I have worn Tevas for many years and have always been fortunate as a woman to fit into a men's size 7. While the footbed may be just a tad long for me, the overall fit has always been perfect until now. I'm not sure how men are wearing these flip flops because the the are so incredibly tight between the toes. I force myself to wear them to stretch them out, but it doesn't seem like I'm making any progress other than deep indentations between my toes an a little bruising. Other than than, the footbed is comfortable and everything else is true to form for a Teva sandal. The Jetter thong sandal is MUCH more comfortable. Comes a little bit shorter but very comfortable right out of the box. If you like slides, the Katavi slide is awesome. I wish they would have given as much consideration to the roominess of the shoe between the footbed and top of foot on their thong sandal as they did their slide for this particular design.
on July 30, 2015
Excellent quality, I thought . Ordered a size larger but would be ordering next pair in my size if they had not failed. I wear them every day after work, and weekends.

Return policy is 30 days, and strap pulled loose on day 90 while attending a concert. Since I can't find any options to discuss replacement with Amazon, updating rating from 5 to 1 and hope that Customer Sevice takes notice. I thought these would be me favorite, and I would be buying over-and-over.
on December 26, 2014
Bought this item in July 2014, wore them 4 times. The sole came completely off of one of the sandals first time i used them on a sand beach. Apparently the manufacturer did not use enough glue to keep the sole on. A complete waste of $ and too late for a refund.
on May 6, 2010
Teva makes a great Flip-Flop. I have always loved the Elixer. Unfortunately the Elixer went through many models, 1-5. By the 5th series it was very bulky and had HUGE treads. Not sure what purpose it served. Now Teva has brought back a "normal" Flip-Flop. It still has the great features: Good arch support and Microban anti-microbial protection. Love these "flippers".
on April 24, 2016
They're good. My brother got 22 months of every day. Repaired them 4 times with All-Purpose Weatherstrip Contact Cement. He's 350 lbs, not too light on his feet. I bought the 1st pair in June 2014, I bought the 2nd pair in April 2016.........22 months........32.26 1st pair.......46.00 2nd pair That's 42.6 % increase in the purchase price in 22 months. Better get em now. If the 42.6% price increase every 22 months continues, They'll be a hundred bucks in 5 years.
on October 1, 2015
I just finished with my second pair of these sandals, sadly it will be my last pair. The first pair I owned lasted over a year, for me that is a decent time for them as I wear sandals whenever I am not in work attire. This led me to my second pair, this last pair only lasted two months, I did do some hard walking but the sandals failed in the exact same spot both times, the right foot outside rearmost point of attachment. Perhaps it's the way I walk however, I am very disappointed in them, I am giving the product four stars because for casual walking and occasional use they will be a great sandal. If you are active it is best to look for something tougher. For now I am going back to the Oakley Supercoil.
on September 4, 2014
I have an 8.5 shoe length. The only length I could get was either 8 or 9. I choose 9. I am not sending it back because it is a hassle. However, go into a store and try them on first if you have a half size. This is a good shoe, however it does run LARGE!