on November 24, 2009
I've had this player for several days now. Blu-Ray playback appears to be good, although I don't really have anything to compare it to. But so far its other attributes leave a great deal to be desired.

Netflix playback is especially poor. I waited to buy this unit for its Netflix capability to kick in, and was using the Roku HD player in the meantime. Even with a wired connection, the Sony's Netflix HD content playback is noticeably sluggish and jerky, almost to the point of being unwatchable, compared to the Roku player connected wirelessly to the same router. I watched parts of the same video on each player and the difference is not subtle; it is pronounced.

Also, the upscaled DVD picture on this player is very, VERY soft, almost to the point of looking out of focus, even with the TV's Sharpness setting turned up to maximum. This is in comparison to the Sony DVP-NS700H upscaling DVD player I had been using previously, which appears to have a sharper, crisper image; again, the difference is noticeable.

I'm going to try a few more DVDs and see if Sony and/or Netflix tech support can address the streaming problem, before I give up and return the unit. I had hoped this player would be a nice addition to my BRAVIA setup (46" Z4100 LCD TV), but so far it's let me down.

UPDATE: I called Sony and went through three levels of support. They agreed with my description and assessment of the Netflix HD picture quality and told me there was nothing that could be done about it. I also called Netflix and they couldn't help either; none of their suggestions worked. If I can't resolve this myself I'm going to have to return the player.

UPDATE 2: Amazon on Demand HD video looks fine; very good, actually. Looks like this is a Netflix issue (probably the onboard software, not the stream, since Netflix still looks fine on the Roku) that will have to be fixed with a firmware update sometime in the future.

UPDATE 3: CNET has now reviewed this product. From their review of the player's Netflix performance: "We also noticed that the overall streaming video quality seemed to be slightly worse than we're used to seeing. We saw more "jerky" playback than we're used to seeing on other players".

UPDATE 4: The Sony firmware update issued on December 22 has had no effect on the Netflix HD streaming quality. It looks the same as it did before.

UPDATE 5: For reasons unrelated to this issue, I upgraded my cable internet service to Cablevision's "Optimum Boost," which among other things is supposed to more than double Internet speed. Indeed, I'm now seeing over 20 Mbps on [...]. Nevertheless, the problem remains; the Netflix HD video is still "jerky". Apparently the problem is not the network. I think it may be that the Sony does a poor job handling the Netflix stream compared to the Amazon stream, such as, e.g., upconverting from 720p to 1080p.

UPDATE 6: I did some more experimenting with the player, this time removing the HDMI connection and using component instead, setting the player's component output to 720p. This did not correct the jerky motion problem; it looked essentially the same.

UPDATE 7: The June 14 firmware update (version 146) has had no effect on resolving this problem. I think it's officially hopeless.

UPDATE 8: Well, after a year, there is finally a solution (and it's not the recent firmware update); great thanks to commenter Dean Ferreyra the review thread. Turning off the CineMotion feature on the Sony TV for the HDMI input where the BDP-N460 is connected appears, for the moment, to have solved the problem. Even sweeping camera shots appear smooth and fluid.

Thanks so much to Dean and everyone else who has tried to help resolve this over the past year. If the problem stays solved, I may come back and change my star review.

UPDATE 9: I'm pleased to report that the Netflix HD motion problem has not re-occurred since I turned off CineMotion. I'm very happy with this, and it's remarkable how much the intrinsic value of this machine has gone up as a result. But I'm keeping the 2-star rating for three reasons: (1) the fact that I had this unit for a year with one of its major features effectively disabled, greatly reducing its ultimate value; (2) Sony's utter failure to recognize this simple solution when I called their CSD about it last year, let alone correct it in a firmware update; (3) the fact that CineMotion is a Sony feature, so the problem itself and the failure to address it in advance, let alone solve it, were entirely Sony's fault.
106106 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 21, 2009
I wanted a Blu-ray player for two main reasons, 1) to watch Netflix on my TV, and 2) to watch Star Trek: The Original Series (Enhanced) on Blu-ray. I returned an LG BD 390 because a stupid icon kept popping up every time an "alternate angle"/enhanced scene appeared during an episode. This was many times during each episode. It's only on the screen for a few seconds, but you can't turn it off. Contacted LG and they said you can't turn it off and they weren't planning a firmware update to fix it - unacceptable. So now I have the Sony and I am thrilled. No more icon, and I like the option of turning off other icons like "play" and "pause". I think the load time is fine - fast enough for me. I'm anxious to get the Netflix firmware update to try that out. I don't need a wireless Blu-ray as I have wired my basement to get more reliable video streaming. I am very satisfied with this player.

Update as of 11/11/09 - Netflix enabled! Works beautifully so far. Watched a bit of "The Office". Video quality very good. My TV says it was 1080p - cool. I'm guessing that most of the Netflix content will be standard def., though. I watched a few minutes of Enemy Mine and the quality was OK - about like Netflix is on my computer. I'm getting pretty spoiled by hi-def. video after watching Blu-ray movies. Anyway, Netflix is easy to do. Just add movies to your Watch Instantly queue (on your PC), and they're there on TV. Brilliant.

UPDATE as of 1/17/11:
I still love this player for playing Blu-rays, but not for Netflix streaming. I changed my review from 5 to 3 stars. As outlined so well by GrafZeppelin127, this player has Netflix streaming issues. Images freeze for maybe a minute or two at a time many times during viewing. Not always, but enough to make it a major inconvenience. When we switch over to streaming on the PC, there are no problems with image freeze. I read that GrafZeppelin127 found a fix for Sony TV's (turning off CineMotion). I have a Panasonic 50" plasma (TC-P50V10)and I can't figure out how to turn off any similar feature on my TV. When I am streaming and I go to the Advanced Picture menu on my TV, there is an option for "3:2 Pulldown", but it already shows that it's off and plus it's grayed out so that I can't change it anyway. There is also a "24p Direct in" option, with options to change from 96 Hz, 60 Hz, 48 Hz. It shows it's on 60 Hz and again, it's grayed out, so I can't change it anyway. If I can't get this figured out, I will likely be buying a Roku player. Most unfortunate. I had high hopes for this player and did really like it initially.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 12, 2009
Bought this player last week along with an Sony Bravia Sony BRAVIA V-Series KDL-46V5100 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV, Black LCD HDTV. I have the home theater setup using an Onkyo TX-SR605 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black) AV receiver. Although the receiver is 2 yrs old. I was fortunate to choose that model as it had HDMI inputts (just 2 for that time). I have assigned the two HDMI inputs to this blue ray player BDP_N460 and the HD sat receiver. It would have been a great player if they had an integrated WIFI . Guess Sony has their price point all worked out.
Nevertheless the user manual says it strongly recommends Linksys Linksys by Cisco WET610N Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band Wi-Fi bridge. I have this unit configured to work with less expensive TRENDnet Wireless N Gaming Adapter-Black (TEW-647GA) (V1.0R). All I had to do was to manually configure TRENDnet Wireless N Gaming Adapter-Black (TEW-647GA) (V1.0R) using my laptop initially (due to my secure wireless network configuraion).
Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black) was able to connect to the network and with in minutes

Please ensure you go through a system update after your unit is able to connect to the network. Since this was my initial setup. It updated my firmware to the most current version (ver. 120 as of this writing).

Netflix Works!! - Sony has fixed a lot of issues previous reviewers experienced. such as lack of Netflix connectivity etc. Plus they have added a few more online portals you can connect to for video downloads than printed in their user manual. I was pleasantly surprised.

To get Netflix to work, you will have to register your player at internet.sony.tv/netflix (which is a sony style website). When you do this, they give you another code to register wih on [...] telling them you would like to stream movies to your Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black) player.

Assuming you have an account with netflix, you would be able to do the above step.
At this point, i was able to watch Netflix movies from my instant queue. The movies i chose were fairly new and hence i was able to get HD versions of the same streaming in. I was amazed at the quality of the feed and the speed.

However, I do have to mention that I did use a 8GB USB drive in the EXT slot at the back of the unit.
Although the user manual recommends 1GB or higher. The bigger memory offer better buffering capacity I think. Since price of USB drives are more affordable/GB. It would be advisable to get 2GB+.

Surfing other portals was not that complicated such as You tube. Although beware that not all vidoes on you tube offer HD content. Some of they are plain pathetic, although they look great on you PC monitor, it is a whole another playing field watching it on your HD tv. it would also be nice if sony interface let you search video based on a search engine instead of their listed portals (perhaps in the future....Hope sony hears us out).

I have not figured this one yet. I wish BDP_N460 would let you surf and choose other video media (such as .wvmv/ .rm files on an external Hard Drive) on a connected devise through front side USB port. It would be nice if sony would come up with this feature using a firmware update in future.

The only downside or negative I can think of is to get it working as advertised, You need to spend additional $60 + to get the Wireless Bridge and a USB drive.

On the positives Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black) is a top notch DVD player, i loved the fact the regular DVD's were upconverted to near HD (it may be my receiver doing it, i cant say for sure).
Blue Ray - play back was mind blowing.
Bottom line is that you get quality video/audio on your TV from this player.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 20, 2009
This player is everything the PS3 should be, just without the games. The PS3 was a constant annoyance with the Bluetooth remote, poor game choice, and the lack of any service such as Netflix (the PS Network seemed to have a rather limited selection)... So I decided to liquidate the system and get back in the blu-ray player market.

When this unit loads up, you might think that it is a PS3--the menu is almost exactly the same. The relevant difference is the video options. This is where that laundry list of online video service providers is found. What a list! If all this player could do was play Netflix, it might not be such a compelling player--but it does a lot more than that. What convinced me to buy this unit was it's ability to play Amazon On Demand. It seemed ironic to me that this was not originally an advertised feature on Amazon's website. I had to do some research to verify this capability. In fact, it was a deal-maker for me.

If the PS3 did everything this player does, then I would say to pay a little more and enjoy the near-zero load times and wireless--but it doesn't. Not even close. The PS3 is currently locked into Sony's limited first-party services. This player hopefully signals the future for players, by adding every provider available.

Pros:
- Bravia sync (if you have a compatible Sony television)
- TONS of providers
- Load times are nominal
- Firmware updates were quick out of the box
- Excellent up-conversion of DVD titles
- Lights on player are not at all distracting (and can be adjusted)

Cons:
- Even though I am 1080p resolution, the xcross (system) menu looks low-res.
- Netflix is "coming fall 2009", so there will be a wait on that for now

So far this player highly recommended!

UPDATE: As of 11/11/2009, Netflix is now available. Works flawlessly!
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 20, 2009
I am using this BD player to replace a Samsung BD-P2500 which for whatever reason just doesn't want to play nice with my Pioneer receiver. My purchase of this unit was motivated by the reviews here on Amazon. Unfortunately, this has been nothing but a disappointment so far.

Once I had the unit connected my first concern was getting it activated on my Netflix account. I powered it up and it informed me that there was a firmware update available. I thought that was a cool feature, my Samsung never gave me a heads up. I ran the firmware update which went quickly, and proceeded to attempt to stream from Netflix. All I could get out of the unit was an error message; "connection status could not be verified." After messing around for 30 minutes I called Sony and worked my way through Tier 1 and on to Tier 2 technical support. The conversation ended 1 hour and 15 minutes later without the issue resolved. I was told "it looks like our server might be down so just try again tomorrow." Now that's customer service.

I attempted to connect it about 8 hours later and it worked. With my Bravia Internet account now in full effect I added my Netflix account. One thing I must give kudos to Sony on is the interface they are using for Netflix. Instead of giant sized pictures of DVD covers they are using thumbnails for the shows in your queue. Much nicer to navigate.

I want to interrupt my review to give you some background information on my Internet connection. I have Verizon FiOS which is about as good as it gets in the United States at this point. I pay extra for a 20Mbps symmetrical connection. For the uninitiated, that means 20Mbps downstream and upstream. I have used my Samsung BD-P2500 and my Playstation 3 to stream HD video from Netflix for quite a while now. Both work flawlessly over my connection. On to the test...

I started playing a movie in my Netflix queue which was in HD. The video looked great then 2 minutes into it the movie just stopped for about 30 seconds and resumed. Apparently the buffer is inadequate on this unit. I fired up the same movie on the Playstation 3, and it worked fine. I then went to the Samsung BD-P2500 (which I moved to a different location) and opened the same movie; also perfect.

I gave this unit 1 star because when you purchase a product you expect all of the features, especially one this important, to work. This Blu-ray player simply does not work. Sony appears to be on a downward slide in the electronics industry and unfortunately it continues with the BDP-N460. It begs the question, "Is Sony even trying anymore?"

I have a support ticket open with Sony and will attempt to get this resolved through them. If they can't work it out next week then I will unfortunately have to return this unit to Amazon and try an LG BD370.

If Sony is able to provide a solution, I will happily update this review and change the rating.

Update: Sony has released another new firmware version which claimed to help with Internet streaming. At first it did not but over the past several days my Netflix streaming has been flawless. I will continue to test over the next several days and if everything goes smoothly I will probably keep this unit and increase the rating.

Update #2: Netflix has work perfectly since the previous update. I have decided to keep this item. I have upgraded it to 4 stars (leaving off one star for the initial problems.)
on October 27, 2009
I finally bit the bullet and went blu with this player, my first blu experience. It was extremely easy to set-up out of the box (reminder that you'll need to purchase an HDMI cable separately) and integrate into my system -- and there was no problem networking via a network cable and router into my existing ISP (you'll also need to purchase a network cable separately if you need one). I haven't yet gone wireless so cannot comment on those capabilities. The system upgrade process via the network connection was also easy to set-up and activate. I found the operating manual to be particularly lucid -- rare with most electronics. Immediately downloadable were Youtube content and dozens of other internet channels. It is true that Netflix is tantalizingly "Coming Fall 09" -- but there are hundreds and hundreds of movies already available via download from Amazon, including a huge assortment of HD titles. The overall picture quality has been superb from bluray discs -- and the upconverting on regular DVDs seems significantly better than my existing upconverting DVD player. Loading time is very, very quick -- there have been no stalls or quirks in audio or visuals in loading any of the dozen or so discs that I currently own. As a first time blu ray user, this player has performed flawlessly thus far and it seems to deliver exactly what it promises!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2009
I received the player this afternoon; by this evening, I had hooked the whole thing up to my Denon receiver with 6.1 surround and was not only amazed with the quality of the upconversion of DVDs (Yellow Submarine - perfect) and audio output, though I have no Blu-ray discs yet. What sets this unit apart from any other piece of A/V equipment I have ever dealt with is the nearly complete integration with the internet, though I do wish there were more choices for internet video offered, as for example Hulu and probably some others. Regardless, the setup of the player itself was very simple, the online setup of my Netflix account -- once I did the firmware upgrade that was easy as anything -- as well as the video quality of the movies that are there is all very, very good. Indeed excellent. The setup of my Slacker and Amazon VOD accounts were likewise very simple. While Netflix is not perfect HD, what I sampled tonight is perfectly watchable. I've read elsewhere that people are dissatisfied with the remote. Get over it. It serves its purpose well. The fact that it's missing an eject button only means that you have to insert each disc one at a time, which requires a trip to the player either way, to put it in or take it out. It's not that big a deal and those who quibble about that are just quibbling over nothing. That it "feels cheap" is also ridiculous. It's a remote, for God's sake, not Lenox china. This is an amazing player out of the box and I can't imagine spending 6x the money and being any happier with this purchase. And I hate Sony for all the usual reasons people hate Sony. Albeit a little less after this evening's experience. Good on them. Great machine. Well done. I can't wait for Wall-E in Blu-ray.
on December 2, 2009
I was about to buy a Roku player for Netflix streaming when I saw this. So, Netflix and more services built into the internet capability, allows for software updates, Bluray native DVD playback - seemed like a good alternative for under $200. Almost too good to be true.

But it's not too good to be true- it's great.

Setup was a breeze - only issue for me was that I had to restart my cable modem in order for the 460 to be recognized. After a few verifications through Sony and netflix, my cue popped up, I was able to log in to Netflix and my instant cue was right there. Tried out both SD and HD content and both streamed smoothly and the HD content looked fantastic. It took about 10 minutes to go from powering on to getting the first streamed content. I didn't even crack the manual.

For those reviewers having issues with internet service playback, I wonder what your bandwidth is? I use comcast, and they recently upgraded their service (was at 6 MBPS and now at 12MBPS - all I had to do was reset my cable modem). Speakeasy speed tests typically show my speed in the 7-10MBPS range. We used to have ATT/bellsouth, and we could only get 2MBPS - if you have "high-speed" service at home, you might want to test that or consider upgrading. I would think that a service that gives you 5MBPS+ would make this thing run smoothly. Less than that and you might get some lag/delay. And I probably should try it at peak neighborhood bandwidth time (occasionally it will drop to 3MBPS), try streaming a HD selection, and see what happens.

Very quiet (some players just hum too much when they are running), the on screen software is almost Apple mac-like in its ease of use, all the setup and options are very clear. Remote is simple and controls volumes and inputs on my Sony TV with no setup (why they didn't put channel up/down on this remote baffles me - if they did, then I could ditch the TV remote-not a big deal). Cool features during DVD playback like a display showing bandwidth use, NPR and streaming radio service, and other internet content I just have no idea what it is. Let's only hope their partnership with these services stays solid and that they are able to expand to others if/when they happen. The load time is very fast, but note that this is an option that you turn off and on. If it's on, it draws more power when it's off to ensure the fast load time. Even with it off, you are looking at 25 seconds. I'd rather have that than know I'm sucking power for 22 hours each day I'm not using the thing.

I've had mixed success with Sony stuff (it's either great or a lemon that you return, it seems), but this is a great product. Highly recommended. Let's hope it is durable and stays solid. Now, if Sony would only come out with this model in a DVD recording version, with a VHS combo unit, and firewire capability, they'd have me buying that too.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 18, 2009
I have had the BDP-N460 for about 3 weeks now. So far, we have watched 3 Netflix Movies, used it for YouTube, watched an Amazon On Demand movie and also watched Blu-ray discs. The performance of Netflix movies has been great. Out of the box, I had to do an update, but the system did it automatically the first time I tried to access Netflix. I was very pleased with the picture quality, which I would describe as near-DVD. The Amazon on Demand worked flawlessly and links to your existing Amazon.com account if you have one. I purchased the Linksys Wireless Bridge with my unit and am connecting via a Wireless G Network. I was worried I would have to upgrade to N to get good performance but that hasn't been an issue. I also have a 16 gig. flash drive installed on my unit which is supposed to help with the buffering of streaming content.

Having looked at all options including the Roku, Apple TV, etc., I think this is a great solution. The only feature I dislike is that in Netflix you can only see movies that you have put in your Netflix queue. You cannot browse available titles as you can in Amazon on demand.

I highly recommend this unit. As a bonus, it works very well with our existing Sony TV.

Update (July 2013): Sony has continually released software updates to add content and improve this device. I now use it to primarily stream Amazon Prime movies. It is rock solid and I still heartily give it 5 stars.
on February 1, 2010
I bought this for my husband for Christmas 2009. I decided on this blu-ray model for a few reasons:

1) Capable of streaming not only Netflix, but also Amazon Unbox purchases and rentals, YouTube, and Slacker Radio

2) Video upscaling

3) Sleek design

4) Mostly good reviews on Amazon, minus the few complaining of poor Netflix streaming (which I figured could be fixed with the latest firmware update from Sony)

This was our first blu-ray player and my husband was so excited to get it set up on Christmas day and start streaming Netflix through it so we wouldn't have to renew our Xbox Live membership, which we only use to stream Netflix through the Xbox 360, as we are not big gamers (The Xbox is our media extender).
We quickly got the BDP set up with a wired Internet connection on our Linksys WRT54G Router and Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver using an HDMI cable. When we turned on the BDP, it walked us through a fairly easy to use setup wizard. After going through the setup, the BDP notified us that a firmware update was available for the player, and indicated in order to use the Internet streaming features we must push the update to the BDP. So, of course we did the update and set out to test all the features of our new BDP.

This is where the problems began.

1) Could not get any BD to play in Dolby Digital to the Onkyo receiver (however, regular DVDs would play in Dolby Digital). Read the instruction manual and could find absolutely NOTHING to indicate a setting change to make this work. Looked all over Sony's website for any information on this and came up short handed once again. Finally, I took a chance on Onkyo's website and found information in their FAQ noting that the audio on some BDPs must be set for bitstream. I couldn't find anything in the audio settings on the Sony BDP-N460 in regards to bitstream, so I manually started changing all of the audio settings one-by-one and then would play the BD to see if it came through the receiver in DD. Well, low and behold... finally when I changed the "BD Audio Setting" from Mix (the default) to Direct I was able to get DD sound on my BDs through the receiver. It was a little perturbing that this setting -- and not the Dolby Digital setting -- would be the one that would allow BDs to send DD output to the receiver. Sony needs to make this clearer as I'm sure a good portion of their customers hook up their BDPs to receivers and enjoy DD surround sound.

2) Along with the BDP, I bought my husband 8 new BDs for Christmas. Not only did it take an unusually long time for the feature film to load on all of these, but most of the extra features on the BDs would not play at all. I finally broke down and contacted Sony Support on 12/26/2009 for this issue (45 minute wait for Online Chat) and when I finally got to chat with a support representative, I was asked what BDs I was having a problem with. I told him all 8 of the new BDs I purchased (Harry Potter 1-6, Polar Express, The Hangover) would not play the extra features. I was promptly told that this is a known problem with some newer BDs and to wait for the next firmware update to fix it. WHAT?!?! The last firmware update that came out was only 3 days prior on 12/23/2009. If this is a known issue, why wasn't it fixed in the previous firmware update? The only reason I bought the Harry Potter movies on BD was specifically to watch the plethora of extra features provided on the BD format. And I couldn't even watch them with this player!!!

We asked a friend of ours who also purchased this model for Christmas if he had the same problem and he indicated he had not, but he also did not have his player connected to the Internet and had not done the firmware update. We began to wonder if the 12/23/2009 firmware update actually broke the ability to play extra features, so we started looking at resetting the player to the original factory defaults, but unfortunately there is no way to back-rev firmware. We tested our 8 new BDs on our friend's BDP and all of the extra features played without issue.

Ultimately, we ended up returning the unit and planned on exchanging it for another (we decided we wouldn't do the firmware update immediately). However, at the time, Amazon was out of stock, so we just returned it.

After the problems we encountered, you may wonder why we would willingly exchange it at all. While the problems above were enough to return the unit, there were other features about this particular player that were good:

1) The DVD upscaling was incomparable to any other BDP I've seen.

2) With the firmware update, Netflix streaming was decent. It buffered more frequently than the Xbox 360, but it wasn't intolerable.

3) The Amazon Unbox feature was nice (which we don't get with the Xbox) and the streaming was about equal to Netflix.

4) The ability to stream more Internet content besides Netflix and Amazon Unbox was nice. The few days we had the unit, we used Slacker Radio and YouTube frequently.

UPDATE:

About two weeks after we returned the unit, it became available again on Amazon and it was $40 cheaper than I had paid for it in November! We went ahead and bought it, and when we got it set up, we DID NOT do the firmware update. We are now able to watch the extra features on BDs and the feature films load much more rapidly than the last unit.

While we can't stream Netflix or Amazon Unbox due to not applying the firmware update, we settled with keeping our Xbox Live membership going a bit longer as the Netflix streaming was better and had less buffering issues. We may consider applying the next firmware update in order to use all of the features this unit offers, but only after it's been generally available to the public for a few months and seams stable.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations