Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

on May 12, 2013
I like Samsung players, this is my second as my first which is a Blu-ray player does NOT support PAL or is it region free.

Here's The positives:

1. Has true PAL 576 support. Unlike some players that actually convert PAL to NTSC with "choppy" video, this is true PAL video at 576i or 576p, as long as your TV supports it (not all HD TVs do). Since you will probably use 1080i/1080p upscale it will not matter.

2. Region free so ignores the discs region codes and will play any DVD. I have not been able to test and confirm if it plays ones that contain RCE (Region Code Enhancement) which were made to not work on Region Free Players (i.e. if the Region is set to 0 instead of a number).

3. Supports 1080p up-scaling and HDMI.

4. Also supports CD Music (if you care about that) and price is cheap for what you get, considering it is hard to find a DVD player that supports true PAL and is also region free.

Here's The Negatives:

1. 720/1080 up-scaling has no 4:3 settings, so all DVDs will output at 16:9. If they are 4:3 they will be "stretched" and you have to use the "EZ Mode" on the remote to change it to 4:3 (called Vertical). My newer Samsung BD player has the setting in the menu for Aspect Ratio to be "native" this lacks it and is a bit annoying.

2. The DVD has an old slide out tray (not a front insert) and it seems a bit on the cheap side. It's one of those players you know after use will have tray problems.

3. The unit is very basic, no USB/SD card support (though it plays DivX and mp3 files from a disc).

4. No Blu-ray disc support.

Overall: If you want a basic DVD player that will play any DVD with any region and features HDMI 1080p up-scaling (or native res) this is it. If you also want a player that plays Blu-ray and is region free for BD, you have to spend a little more money.
11 comment98 of 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
I was doing my research on a dvd player that can play different dvd formats. My old dvd player that was able to do this gave up on me recently. I came across this particular model. It did not have many reviews but I took a gamble. I am very happy with my choice and I would even say that it is very easy to install. I would certainly recommend it.
22 comments46 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2013
If you are a BBC junky and have DVDs from the UK and like stuff like IDEAL, then you will want one of these! I have had three and this one is the best!
on December 4, 2010
I had been looking at the reviews for similar products and there had always been unhappy buyers. This is a new product and I took a chance. Well, it came in just two days as announced, and took about two minutes to instal. Zone 1 and 2, PAL and NTSC played beautifully without any settings necessary, and even a self burnt DVD (NTSC Zone 1) that kept stalling on my previous player played without a hitch on this one ! So this amazingly small, amazingly light little machine meets all my expectations and beyond.
One might only regret it's not for use with 220 volt /50 hz current in case one might want to use it abroad (it's so lightweight !).
I highly recommend it (keeping fingers crossed for possible mishaps in the future).
22 comments31 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2013
Played pal region 2 right out of box no codes or anything. I need eight more words so I'll tell you not to buy the kindle fire hd. Too many bugs and crashes all the time.
22 comments31 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2013
Not sure what happened with this as it appears to me that the title clearly states that the DVD player is region free. There was even a sticker on the package that said it was region free. It's not region free. In fact, I called Samsung and they told me that they do not make region free DVD players. Maybe someone can make this region free if they are super high tech but I am not and felt that this description was very misleading. It also did not come with an instruction manual.
55 comments53 of 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2012
This is a very nice item. Very compatible with most televisions. Set up is a breeze. i bought as a gift for my friend they have really enjoyed the 1080p DVD player. the price was great for this item. Samsung means quality. I would shop again.
11 comment27 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2013
I was excited to receive this product, but the dvd door wouldn't open. After spending much time on the phone with Samsung tech and running through all their tests, they confirmed the product was defective and told me to send it back. I did and then ordered another from another seller: different problem: the door opened, but it wouldn't play my first 4 dvds and when I finally got one to play there was no sound at all! Called Samsung again... Sent that product back! In general I like Samsung products, but this is a lemon it seems like they're trying to unload!
on February 7, 2011
Listen to the rating titled "Misleading Claims". I bought this player but it didn't play half my dvd's from the US, let alone my PAL dvds. I called Samsung and they said they do not make a dual or multi-region dvd player! So the seller mis-represented this item AND it doesn't work. Something's really fishy. It's on the way back to Amazon!
88 comments18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2013
The player arrived quickly and worked fine for about two weeks. After that it started to freeze up and then it wouldn't play or eject any DVD I tried to play. I had to unplug it and turn it back on to eject and to shut the machine off.

Now of course this could have just been a lemon, you know one of those things that happen.

I bought a 27 inch Philips Magnavox TV in the 90s and it quit after a month. Philips replaced the TV with the same model and the replacement is still working. So, you never know.