Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Humminbird 998c SI Combo 8-Inch Waterproof Marine GPS and Chartplotter with Sounder
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

I purchased the Humminbird 998C Si Bundle for my husband's birthday. He has been mentioning for some time how he would love to have one but can not see paying almost $2000 for one. He owns three other Humminbird Fish Finders that were mounted to our 21 foot bass boat. This unit has replaced everything and anything he uses for finding fish and GPS signals.

It was easy to install. He mounted it on the dash with the RAM Mounting Systems RAM-D-111U-C heavy duty RAM Universal Marine Electronic Mount. It sits securely in place with no worries of it taking a plunge into the waters. The Navigation Bundle is a must! It includes all four regions of the US as well as the waters near Canada. Being that it is the "Si" model, the unit is upgradeable and expandable to fit all your needs.

It comes with side sonar as well as down imaging. It's amazing how clear the images are. Use your side image out to 240ft on each side of the boat to find structure on the bottom. Even in three foot of water the side image is clear out past 100 feet. If you find something off to the side of the boat and want to check it out, you simply use the cursor to mark the spot as a waypoint. Then you use the navigation to go back over it to see it on the down scan. You can select an object and zoom in for a closer look. The unit has 2 SD cards slots to store pictures and video recordings of the images. Mark your waypoints with the touch of a button. There is a variety of split screen options. The LCD display is large and the resolution is vivid and clear even in sun light. The GPS is very fast to link up to satellite signal unlike our Garmin hand held.

One suggestion - keep your fingers off the screen. My husband can't stop pointing things out on the screen and leaving finger prints. To avoid smudges and dirtying the LCD screen, we purchased the ScreenGuardZ HD Anti-Glare Durable Screen Protector for Apple iPad  and cut it down to size to fit the LCD screen.

If you are looking for a fishfinder that gives you depth, temperature, track and chart plotting, GPS speed, up to 3,000 waypoints, side and down sonar imaging, network capabilities and overall an awesome way to find fish holding structures - then the humminbird 998c SI is for you.
review image review image review image review image
66 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2011
Installation was easy and straightforward. The navigation on screen is easily learned and used. I only have a few hours on this unit on my outboard. The only downside so far is that I see alot of prop wash on screen while underway. I installed the sending unit per the instructions so it may need some tweaking. Overall, one of the best Combo units that was a non touch screen that I researched.
on June 10, 2012
UPDATE: When I first got the unit I located the transucer on the left side of the transom and everything worked fine EXCEPT the LEFT side imaging!!! I was about to send the unit in ( Humminbird service is outstanding ) when a new update came and after restoring the defaults and installing the new update VIOLA! everything worked beautifully. I should have quit while I was ahead. I installed the most recent update restoring the defaults as required and TOTALLY lost the Side Imaging - both sides. After sending the unit in twice without getting everything to work Humminbird replaced the item with the newer 998ciSI HD. Now that's an American Company standing behind its product. The 998ci SI HD works great!!!
on April 12, 2013
I bought this unit in 2011 and have had nothing but positive experiences with it. Installation was easy and intuitive. Free software updates keep coming, fixing bugs I wasn't noticing, adding new features, giving me peace of mind.

No Cons! One of the few products I've ever bought about which I can make that statement.

On top of that, Humminbird appears to be constantly moving ahead, making the product more interesting, adding options, taking the lead over competitors. Examples:

* Do you use a downrigger? You can hook up certain Canon downriggers to this chart plotter and program it to raise & lower you lures as the depth changes. Cool!
* Interested in approaching weather? You can buy a weather radar option that displays incoming storms right on the screen. Talk about a life saver! But remember, if you have a smart phone, you can get a free version of this if you're somewhere within cell coverage. But it won't be as big a screen or as location-oriented to your spot as the one on the Humminbird.
* Ever wonder what fish might be in front of your boat? You can buy a 360 degree transducer that shows fish in front and on all sides of the boat. It's not cheap, and doesn't work at high speeds, but it's good for 100' in front of you--no more missing the fish that your boat scares as it approaches.
* Humminbird bought Lake Master--the folks who make underwater map chip sets--and has leveraged the technology to make life so much better!
* Have you ever had to split your concentration between fishing and keeping your trolling motor following a break line or a depth contour? No need to do that anymore--Humminbird has integrated its Ethernet with the Minn-Kota electric trolling motors, and with the Minn-Kota i-Pilot and the Lake Master maps, you can tell the trolling motor to take its heading from the chart plotter and its map chip based on depth and GPS location. Tell the trolling motor to follow the 18' depth contour, and you can stop worrying about steering the boat. Tell it to stay a certain distance away from the shore or a break line, and watch it be your professional automated guide. It gives me the ability to concentrate on casting to Bass and feeling their light hits on a falling crawler harness, instead of spending time steering & worrying about depth.
* Have you ever found a hot spot, but not wanted to drop a marker buoy for fear of attracting other anglers? Or not wanted to drop an anchor and scare the fish? The Humminbird / Minn-Kota / iPilot option lets me set the boat to stay in one spot, just as if I'd dropped an anchor--wind or current may spin the boat around, but the Humminbird tells the bow troller what to do to keep me on location. Sweet!

Before you buy a bow trolling motor or a depth finder / chart plotter or down rigger, consider all the options that come from buying Humminbird and the many brands of gear its especially compatible with. My buddy bought a Lowrance and now he's feeling bad because his unit, although a very nice one, can't do even half of the things my Humminbird can. And he's telling me Lowrance isn't innovating anything like Humminbird is.

I may never buy the 360 degree transducer, or the radar option, or the weather setup, but just knowing Humminbird is being proactive and thinking ahead for what I might want to have, gives them a huge plus in my book. I like knowing I'm not limited, and that I can expand my options just by adding on things that are customized built and designed for this depth finder / chart plotter.

I'm a computer network analyst and technology is my friend. I love screens, views, options, buttons, settings. Well, there are enough to play with here to satisfy even me. And the best part is that once I set things up the way I want them, I don't ever have to change anything if I don't want to--I can just turn the unit on and use it. Or I can play with seeing bait balls, or capturing screen shots of submerged features like reservoir bridges or even sunken boats. Now I can see what the bottom is made of or covered with, and understand why I get snagged in this part of the lake (it's all downed lumber, or there's an old fence line crossing the bottom), and why there are no fish in another part (there's no structure, no food chain). And better, where the rocks are, how big they are, and whether there are fish hiding among them.

I get the simple option to set it and forget it, enjoying the views of nature and teasing fish out of cover, or I can dig in and examine the structure and identify the fish on the screen, tracking my path in and out of remote bays and around obstacles.

I hired a guide to take me into Canadian waters where there were no good hydro maps to trust for keeping me out of the rocks. But I had the 998c SI chart plotter & GPS going, making tracks & way points the whole day. Now I can get into those great spots without fear of hitting rocks because I saved and can follow the paths the guide followed.

This unit is as complex or as simple as you make it. Follow the instructions on installation and get ready for a great experience. My only wish is that I had two more of these beauties, just because there's so many fun screens to watch & learn from, that I could have them all going at the same time. Of course then I'd need a bigger boat in which to mount them all. Hmmmm . . . "Honey? Can we get a bigger boat?"

Have a great time using this item. Keep in mind that in 2013 Humminbird updated the unit to "HD". All it means is they've added some brighter back lighting to make the screen stand out better in sunlight. The non-HD units are still out there, and the price on them has dropped a couple of hundred dollars now that the HD model is out.
on February 6, 2013
Used the 998ci SI all of last summer. No problems whatsoever with installation or use. Though I must admit, I'm going to need more water time to fully understand and appreciate the down imaging and side imaging. Chart plotting with Lakemaster and GPS have worked flawlessly. Thinking about adding the 'weather sense' option for next summer.
on October 8, 2013
I completely revamped my boat this year, no expense spared. I purchased this unit and it is worthless for fish finding. GPS is superb, but if there is a fish, it looks like a pin on the enormous screen. Lots of engine noise on this product, however, the engine was not running. I am sending it back. TECH support says trade it with a friend who has a unit to see if transducer is faulty, Shouldn't we have tested at the factory and none of my friends can afford this unit. WASTE OF MONEY. I have spent at least 12 hours tweaking it and watched every Doug Vendenburg utube video. I am at the point of crying. Sad to say, but true. PS, Academy just reduced the price to 6 bills less than I paid, the first of the year.
on December 3, 2010
have had a 797 since they came out. was going to get the 898 but caught a special on amazon for $1311.07. has the 50 channel gps module. for some reason i thought this had an internal gps, but it doesn't. so you have to mount the puck as well.
on March 12, 2013
As you read the product details, you will find that the GPS antenna is not included and requires a GPS input. Great, so I bought the recommended GPS antenna that you see in the "Customers who bought this also bought" section. That white, hard plastic cover also looked like a good and sensible purchase to protect this expensive piece of equipment.

THE WHITE COVER AND THE GPS COME IN THE BOX WITH THIS UNIT!!!! The description indicates otherwise, but they are already in the box. Do NOT buy these recommended items. The WeatherSense module is not in the box, as described. The rest of the product details are total BS!!!

Hopefully I will get to take the new unit out for a spin this weekend. I will update my review and my rating on the functionality of the unit itself. I just wanted to get this information out before other customers fall prey to purchasing additional items under false pretenses. Shame on Amazon!!!