Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

style: HPAEC840Change

on November 1, 2012
These ear pads made my Audio Technica ATHM50 much more comfortable. The height of the ear cavity is about 7cm vs the 6cm of the stock ATHM50 pads, and the velour material is much more comfortable than the ATHM50's pleather. I didn't hear any audible difference between the stock pads and these, although I didn't do a careful comparison. The improved comfort makes listening to music with these more enjoyable. The fabric backings of the two pads are made of similar materials and have similar permeability, so any actual sonic differences are likely to be minimal.

Note: if you flex your ear muscles or move your head around sharply, these will sometimes 'creak'. I didn't find it annoying, but if that sort of thing annoys you, you should probably avoid velour altogether.
22 comments35 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2014
Shure HPAEC940 Replacement Velour Ear Pads for SRH940 are somewhat large and sit a bit loose but still usable for ATH-M50. They are much more comfortable and I did not notice any significant sound difference comparing against original pads. But for Sony MDR V6 they are way too loose, Beyerdynamic DT250/DT280 Replacement Earpads work much better here.
review image review image
22 comments27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2011
Then buy this set. I got these through a few recommendations, and I absolutely love them. Fits the 440s perfectly, and are way more comfortable than the stock 440 pads.
66 comments26 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2012
Everyone is talking about how they're great for the SRH440, and I'd like to add that they also work nicely for the Audio Technical ATH-M50. In fact, I find the ATH-M50 with these pads more comfortable than the SRH840 with them. Everyone's ears are different, but that's my $0.02. Good comfy pads in general.
22 comments13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2013
I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s that used to give me a massive ear ache in my left ear after an hour or so of use. I tried replacing the pads with Beyerdynamic EDT 250s and tried stretching the cans on a box overnight, but even those did not help. I recently tried these Shure pads, and they fit perfectly! The ear opening is larger than other pads, so it rests around my ear rather than on top of it. I can now listen to music for hours in perfect comfort. I would definitely recommend both the ATH-M50 headphones and these Shure HPAEC940 pads!

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable
on August 3, 2012
I bought these for my Shure SRH-840's after doing lots of research reading that they fit, and I confirm that they do! They fit perfectly and make the headphones MUCH more comfortable (which I didn't think was possible). Highly recommended for any SHURE SRH-840 owners that would like an alternate set of ear pads. These feel stellar!
review image
33 comments11 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2013
To test I installed one pad and left the original pad on the other side of my 440's. The 840 pad has a larger surface area (see my pics with the old pad on the left in all shots) so I guess that spreads out the pressure over a larger area. But it's really minimal and I did not notice a huge difference pressure wise. The material is nicer/softer than the original so that is a plus. Every so often I would flip the headphones around to see if I could tell anything. The larger pad does cover more of the ear- almost surrounds it. But seriously, if you had me blindfolded I wouldn't bet my life that I always knew which side were which. But in general the large pad and softer material seems to be a better set up. I can't imagine any set of cans actually feeling comfortable to have on for an extended period of time.

Sound difference? Yes, one side in my test sounded better I felt... until I switched them around! Just like eyes your two ears are not 100% equal and over time they lose their edge but not at equal rates. I think those who make any kind of big deal out of any significant improvement or degradation in sound might be imagining it. I would have to see some measureable proof to believe that whatever millimeters' worth of difference in how the drivers may sit in relationship to your eardrums affects how the sound waves actually strike them. Wishful thinking or all inside their heads maybe? Notice the contradictory reviews- more bassy, less bassy etc??? It becomes highly subjective and I wouldn't buy or not buy these pads based upon those claims. If you need replacements this is no brainer as a cheap way to keep your expensive headphones alive. If you need more comfort then these may do the trick for you but I'm glad I didn't pay any more for them than I did from Amazon. That's my 2 cents.
review image review image review image
11 comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2012
I thought the original cushions on my SRH440s were really comfortable, but now I realize that I was mistaken. These replacement cushions make the old ones seem like rocks carved to fit around your ears. Treat yourself to a comfort upgrade!

On a more functional note, they seem to do a much better job at isolation than the stock 440 cushions.
0Comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2013
My stock pads were that of a dried out elephant. Crusty and lacking the padding causing my ears to be in a lot of pain with extended listening.

I picked these up because they would be like ear muffs in the winter and they actually add another layer of noise canceling and an extreme degree of comfort.

I have recommended these to my fellow M50 users and a few have picked these up.
on July 24, 2015
So I bought these recently because the stock pads on my m50x headphones hurt the corners of my ears and delivered way to much pressure to my head. So after trying these out I will give you the simple truth since there seems to be so many mixed reviews here.

This is completely from my own experience and I am no expert, I am an average consumer with a good ear and a good sense for quality (or so I'd like to think!).

REVIEW:

Are these bigger than the stock pads?
Yes, these are much bigger than the stock pads, side by side they have about 30% more space. The hole is also much bigger and the corners of my ears no longer hurt. HOWEVER, these pads are almost identical in thickness. So if your issue is your ears touching the drivers (hard speaker part), then this will not help.

Are these comfortable?
Very. I wore them for hours and barely felt them on my ears. They may fit a bit loose but with the m50s tight pressure it hold them in place. Another DIY fix to that is putting a hair tie in the slot to hold them in place (works great). Another important thing in that my ears did not overhead nor get sweaty wearing these.

Does it change the sound?
Ok, so, this question seems to be the most controversial anywhere on the internet. You don't know if someone is being super picky or if they have no idea what they are talking about. I'm about to tell you exactly what I heard and nothing else (no technical talk).

Here we go.

When I put these on I immediately noticed a change in the sound. It is pretty noticeable because it changes the overall sound of the music, movie, game, etc. The high notes sound sharp, as if trying to overpower the rest of the music. It can become uncomfortable, but it's not overbearing. Secondly, the middle notes (mids) sound much quieter, definitely pushed back. Lastly, and apparently most important, the bass is very much affected. I don't know why, but the bass notes sound much less pronounced and much quieter, almost underwhelming. The m50s already have a good flat bass sound, this feels like it's being filtered and it's not coming through. Overall the sound changes to what I would describe as a pair of $50-80 headphones with a much lower volume. HOWEVER, after wearing them for about an hour, my ears got accustomed to the sound and it blended together a little better as my ears adjusted.

Final thoughts?
These pads definitely make the m50s much more satisfying and comfortable to wear. But they do change the sound (in my opinion, not really for the better, but if you're not picky, it's not a deal breaker by any means). For $20, it's worth trying out for yourself. After using these I realized that any other brand or material would definitely change the sound much more drastically than these, so I would recommend these above any other pads if you are currently searching for something to relieve that pain.

If anyone has any tips or mods you can do to these pads to make them sound a little more like the originals, Please comment on this review, I and anyone else who reads this will be glad to know there are fixes to any minor inconveniences these pads bring.

Thank you for reading this and I hope you find that amazing comfort these awesome sounding headphones, and you, deserve! :)
22 comments4 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse