Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on June 22, 2011
I needed a big hat for the pool season this year to block the sun, prevent sunburns on my face, and of course be styling while at the pool or beach. For all you Derby fans out there, this hat is PERFECT, and you're sure to get tons of compliments!

You can dress it down while wearing your swimsuit with a casual cover-up, or you can dress it up and your hat be the main accessory on your picnic outing.
The best part about it is you can bend it to whatever style you're feeling that day, block the sun from any direction. And, it bounces right back if you cram it into your luggage for vacation!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2010
Just know what you're purchasing!

This is a beautiful hat, well-made (as always, thank you San Diego Hat Company!) and is exactly as the picture shows--nice natural color! I would just note, know that you are purchase an extremely wide-brimmed hat--the brim is around 9.5" all the way around. If that's what you want--that's what you get!

The hat is also one of those, fold up and springs back to size without damage, which is perfect because it is quite large (traveling and storage) and who doesn't love that convience?
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2011
I LOVE this hat! Yea, people look at you at first but eventually they stop. I had brain surgery and was spending two weeks in the Caribbean and wanted to make sure that my head and neck were covered where the incisions were and this hat did that without a problem. It also protected my shoulders and upper back. It fit great and also travels well in a suitcase. It takes it's shape right back when you unpack it.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2014
I am not going to knock the hat, simply because I was born with an abnormally large sized dome piece - I just would like to make it clear to those of you who would wear a size 7 5/8 or larger - expect to not have blood flow to the head lol. I am currently working to see if I can stretch the brim out, using steam and patience, so we shall see. As for those of you with smaller/normal sized heads, there is a string (the one that you see on the outside of the hat) that can be used to tighten the fit, so you all have nothing to worry about. The hat DID come with folds in it, due to the packaging used to ship it - this can easily be resolved with steam, folks - no big deal. Overall, it's a pretty awesome hat - especially for the price (I paid a little over $25 for it total) and I'm crossing my fingers that I will be able to actually get it over my head without cutting off blood circulation soon haha. Wish me luck! And if any of you out there reading this knows where in the hell I can order a hat like this that will actually fit, right out of the box, please let me know!

*Update* So in order to make room for my big head, I ended up just completely removing the inside band from the hat. Some would not recommend doing this, out of fear of the hat falling apart or seperating. I had no issues removing the band, just took my time slowly removing it, stitch by stitch. I also stretched the hat out, little by litte, using steam. It now fits! Also, the steam helped removed the wrinkles in the brim that were a result of packaging and shipping. The hat is definitely worth the $25 I paid for it here.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2011
I wanted a Super Duper sun hat to go out into the sun with. I always forget to bring a hat and end up buying a pathetic offering from the resort I am in, usually after I have burnt myself to a crisp on the first day.I have very fair skin and burn very quickly, (I don't sunbathe but just catch the sun from walking about, sailing or fishing.) I don't get on very well with suntan lotion, so this time I decided to be pro-active and set out to find the BIGGEST sun hat I could possibly find.

I stumbled upon the San Diego Ultrabraid X Large Brim SPF 50 on I read the reviews and thought, "This is the one for me!" I bought the chocolate option, black, according to one review, makes you look like the Wicked Witch of the West. Although, I think paired with the right wardrobe, you could cut quite a dash... I didn't get the straw colour because I thought it might show marks easily.

I ordered my chosen chapeau, it came all the way from good old U.S.A and arrived in England within 2 days. I was very impressed. It came in a huge box which amused the delivery man as he bent his legs and braced himself to pick up what he thought was a very heavy parcel, gave a big 'heave ho' and then nearly threw it over his head and off the back of the delivery lorry because it was so light!

Excitedly, I opened my delivery. I love the way that you can create different styles with a tweak of the brim, stylish, sophisticated, coquettish, mysterious...

I highly recommend this hat, get it, pick the colour that works for you and your wardrobe, or, pick all three! Look AMAZING and never get burnt again, (hopefully.) Mix it up with big dark sunlasses, think 'Jackie Onassis,' co-ordinate and customise it with a large silk flower, something big with lots of petals, (to keep the correct proportions,) or get a silk or satin wide ribbon/scarf to wrap around the brim. Be flamboyant, think Audrey Hepburn in 'My Fair Lady,' and go monochrome and embelish with ostrich feathers for Ladies Day at Ascot.

Alternatively, clip a big sparkley statement brooch,(pin) for a bit of 'bling' or a sparkley necklace for something different, just because you can... Wear for casual, around the pool, or a for a more sophisticated occasion and look different every time. Free your imagination and just express yourself, have fun and at all times, be FABULOUS!
on September 17, 2011
I absolutely love my big new hat. The brim is bendable and stays in place. The hat actually fits my head perfectly, I think my head is a little bigger than most peoples. It is perfect for sun protection. That is the reason I got it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2010
I never met a San Diego Hat Co hat I didn't like....have several already...Sandra Bullock was wearing one after her breakup when she was trying to be hidden from papperazzi! Very glamorous, foldable, packable, huge brim.......nothing but hollywood glamour.....i live in the desert near los angeles and wear one of these all the times, from gardening, driving, to grocery-shopping and "events" to try and keep the wrinkles and freckles away! I have the black....more dramatic than the chocolate...
on August 14, 2011
I was extremely excited when this hat arrived. I needed a large brim hat for our honeymoon to the Eastern Caribbean. While the hat looked gorgeous in pictures and was excellent for shading me from the hot sun, I was disappointed to find a tear in it on the last day of our trip. I was under the impression that it was a packable hat and have owned similar hats in the past that lasted years. This hat, however, barely made it through the week.
on July 30, 2010
I feel so special when I walk into the pool area wearing my hat. I am able to "hide" under my brim, yet survey the entire surroundings. When I take a walk, I'm cooler with my "umbrella hat", I see people watch me, some will ask where did I get my hat some just watch.
I remember years ago an elderly woman once told me that people will always remember the woman who wore the hat when attending an event, well this is a memorable hat! Every girl should have one. This is my second SanDiego Hat Company hat & the quality is great, great value & wonderful skin protection.
on October 3, 2010
While this hat is beautifully made and offers great sun protection, it is EXTREMELY large and is for very tall women. It's as if you are wearing an unbrella on your head.

See 1 answered question