on April 8, 2011
Verified Purchase
This product has great features, a good looking design, works well and seems to be solidly built. I bought it because I could not find any apps that would allow me to listen live to radio station of my choosing without carrying a computer. It is a much better solution than a smart phone since it has a speaker, allows access to just about any radio station in the world, provides 10 easily programmed presets and unlimited favorites via the vTuner website interface. WiFi reception seems as good as with MacBook Pro or iPod Touch and the sound quality through earphones is fine. Mutant's customer service via email was excellent - they provided a working URL for one NPR station I couldn't find. Looking forward to using this when travelling (small, completely portable, long life internal rechargeable battery - all at a good price). Now - if only it had a custom neoprene case it would be perfect.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 18, 2011
Verified Purchase
This radio is easy to set up and truly portable. It is just a radio. It connects directly to the router but not to other computers connected to the router. Sound files on those computers can not, at present, be played on this radio. It uses the Vtuner website for internet radio connection and the selection of stations all over the world is vast.

It also contains an FM stereo tuner which uses the earphone wires as an antenna, very useful if one wants to listen to the radio when out of range of wi-fi. Unfortunately, if you want to use the very serviceable speaker, which it also features, while listening to FM, you are out of luck as use of the speaker requires removal of the earphones! A switch routing sound from the earphones to the speakers while not disconnecting the wires would be a welcome addition.

Despite the advertising, it does NOT contain an AM radio tuner. AM radio broadcasts are available only through wi-fi relay.

The radio also does not have a sleep timer, seemingly a simple feature that could be added in a firmware update (updating is available right from the radio), so, if you fall asleep listening to L'après-midi d'un faune you may awake to a discharged battery. The manual claims that the battery can be recharged in five hours from a USB port.

Overall, this radio does what it advertises.
The addition of the two features just noted would make it superlative.
on September 13, 2011
Review 09/13/2011
The item was shipped quickly and recieved as described, a little about my experience with the Mutant:
Easy to set up, you set up your personal preferences at [...] page where you can search for specific stations to upload into your Mutant which downloads into your Mutant, works fine. A nice compact portable WIFI radio with FM.
The negatives:
It has a very bright green (Charged) & a bright red (needs charging) strip of light in the middle of the radio which is approx 2 1/4" long & 1/8" wide which I find annoying and a waste of battery power. I would have much preferred a little round 1/8" red/green indicator, it wouldn't be as annoying and would add to battery life to each charge, even if it's 5 minutes.
The sensitivity of the radio is ok but could be better. When I use my laptop, netbook other wifi items they do a much better job of pulling in the signal & locking it where the Mutant at 1/2 the distance loses the signal periodically over a 2 hour time period though it usually recaptures it automatically. The lose of signal varies each time.
A problem I ran into this morning is indicated below by an email I sent to Mutant. A little over a month of actual duty of maybe 60 hours now unusable, I find uncomfortable. Maybe it was a quirk that was in my Mutant.
I will post a follow-up with Mutant.

This is a copy of e-mail I sent to Mutant Innovation Group:
I ordered the Mutant MIG-PIR-1 M WIFI internet radio on Amazon on July 29th & recieved it Aug 5th 2011. It worked fine till early this morning when I fell asleep with the radio on (green light on when I woke up) for about 4 hours. I tried to turn it off nothing happened, plugged it in, tried to turn it off again, nothing happened. I reset, it shut off & was not able to put it on again, charged it up & still does not go on. I would appreciate your help.

09/14/2011 Follow-Up:
Last night I found out my wife tried shutting the mutant when I was sleeping by pressing the buttons, switching the switches & turning the knobs... at that point I checked the lock & sure enough the lock was activated. After UN-locking the unit it worked! I guess I was the quirk, not the unit. I forgot it had the lock, stupid me.
I had recieved a response almost exactly 24 hours after I e-mailed Mutant in reference to the problem & I just emailed him back that the problem seems resolved and added the specifics & thanked him for his interest in my problem.
02/20/2014 Follow-Up:
I Still have & use Mutant periodically & it runs well but loses signal often even when there is a strong signal coming in. It cannot lock it in. At times we listen in shower & it loses the signal which is pretty frustrating. IF that was repaired on an update or such I would give it at LEAST 4 stars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is a great device. Finds the online shows I listen too all the time on my computer, even strange music station I listen to. Some great features, like auto connect if you go out of range, auto connect to different routers to the strongest one too.
Does play am radio, through wifi. Plays local radio stations am/fm through wifi as long as your local station broadcasts online. In my area most of them do. The separate fm tuner works great, very clear. No separate am tuner though. All searching, password entering etc must be done on tiny screen, hard to read some letters but its okay. Menu could be done better, but once stations are programmed in the memory its easy to use. Just takes a while to scroll through thousands of stations. So far mine does not connect to the computer at all. I had read another review stating it does, but mine doesnt. Only has a usb charging cable to power it. Also has internal battery. About the size of 1st gen i pod. Speaker sounds great, though wish it would of been stereo. About 1 inch diameter speaker.

Most of these wifi radios look big, seem to need to be plugged into outlets. This one runs off batteries and is very small. Will be perfect when I go all over the house, wont miss any of my radio shows.
on May 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
Overall: I like this Internet Radio. During the day I use a USB-mains charger and plug the headphones connection into my stereo system. I get great sound quality this way. At other times, I carry it around with me. It is easy to set up and find stations (I live in France and listen to UK and US stations).

Some improvements which would be nice (though they don't affect my recommendation which is positive): When pluged in and charging or switched on and in use, the front of the radio is lit up with an LED bar, either red or green respectively. If you have this beside your bed at night, these are quite bright and it would be nice to be able to switch these off. Also, they should sell this with a USB-mains charger but since you can get these for a few dollars, it's not a killer. Additionally, when you first turn back on the radio, you need to readjust the volume back to the level you normally use: it would be nice if it came back on at the same level as before switching off.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2011
Verified Purchase
Easily connected to secured home network after I received helpful suggestions from advisor at Mutant. Connects to unsecured networks and will connect to any secured network as long as only a password is needed. Networks that require users to agree to terms of use cannot be accessed by the Mutant radio. Sound quality and FM performance are good. External speakers can be used if improved sound quality is desired.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 1, 2012
Verified Purchase
I enjoy listening to radio on the internet as there are so many great stations around the country and around the world to tune into. I thought this Mutant Internet Radio would be perfect to buy.

The Mutant Radio looked very portable and easy-to-use when I was first thinking about ordering it. When I opened it up, I was impressed that it only took a couple of hours to give it a good charge. When I turned it on, I was also impressed that it was easy to find radio stations, either by location or format. I even found foriegn stations that were hard to hear on my laptop because of my U.S. based IP address.

So, I was quite happy with it at first. In fact. I was thrilled that so many of my favorite stations were listed. However, as time went on, some of the drawbacks became apparent. The first one is that the reception area is a little less than what it should be. The Mutant Radio just barely picks up a wifi signal anywhere around the house unlike my laptop or Android phone which have no problems. However, the biggest issue is that this radio usually will not work in hotels or anywhere that requires a web based password. When I am traveling, I like to listen to stations back home, which is almost an impossibility. This fact is stated on the owners manual but it takes a little researching to find this information.

So, after all of this, the radio does work well when there is a stong wifi signal and there is a straight forward internet connection. The battery iife is very good on a single charge and there are so many stations to listen. So, in the end, I find this Mutant Radio good but certainly not perfect.
on December 17, 2011
I like this radio a lot. It's nice to look at, simple enough design and has 12 presets so for me (I have maybe 4 radio stations I really enjoy listening to) it works very well. The problem is I tried listening to BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 3 when it first arrived yesterday. It had a lot of trouble connecting to these stations consistently. It connected maybe once in 30 attempts.

So I had to find a work-around and 1) go to the csvtuner website: [...]
2) input my radio's MAC address (listed in the radio's settings in the radio's menus), register,
3) and then manually add stream urls for the BBC radio stations I wanted (at [...]).
4) The vTuner website then told me I had to manually update the radio and to my shame I struggled with that for a quite a while. Then I discovered that the vTuner website was wrong and that the manually added stations had already appeared under "added stations" in the "favourites" menu on the radio itself. Go figure.

Sound quality is pretty good, nice and clear, and apart from the fiddliness of fixing the Beebs thing the radio is very straight-forward. I like it overall. I wouldn't give it as a gift to a family member for Christmas though who also likes these same BBC stations just because if the BBC changes their streaming URL, she would then have to figure out how to adjust the whole thing again.
on June 15, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is a total piece of crap! The hold button broke within about 30 minutes of owning it. It also WILL NOT connect to a wireless network with a 10 digit WPA security code. Don't buy this, spend a few dollars more and buy a Logitech. I have a Logitech and wanted a small portable internet radio to carry around the house, so I'm very disappointed. I will be returning this in a day or so.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 7, 2011
Verified Purchase
This radio is unique, I was looking for a small WiFi radio and this model was the only one I could find. It fits in the palm of your hand. Sound quality is quite good for the size, and it includes FM radio which many larger and more expensive Internet radios do not have.
The first unit was defective, the FM-WiFi switch wasn't working. Amazon replaced it with no hassle.
A couple of minor issues that prevent me for giving it 5 stars:
- You can't connect to a WiFi network that's both hidden and encrypted. You must "unhide" it first, otherwise the unit doesn't let you enter the network access key. After the unit figures out the encryption method and saves the settings you can hide the network again.
- The interface is not bad once you get used to it but it could be a bit more intuitive.
Overall if you're looking for an Internet radio that's easy to carry around the house this is an excellent choice.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations