Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.49

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 9, 2010
Starting with dcTalk, and then going solo when the group disbanded in 2000, TobyMac still clings to such notions as hard work, persistence, patience and the power of music, which he insists is still what keeps him going. Tonight is easily the most anticipated new album of the new decade, and is truly amazing and a great way to start off the year. If you are a long-time Christian music fan, you'll hear that classic blend of rock, hip-hop and worship that made Jesus Freak one of the all-time greatest albums in the history of Christian music. Toby grabbed me immediately with opening track "Tonight," featuring John Cooper from Skillet, which is a techno-style rock song that rivals "Say The Words" by dcTalk, both in intensity and catchiness. Toby's vocals have never sounded better and he and John blend seamlessly as they both sing their hearts out on this fantastic opening song expressing our urgency for God. One theme that runs loud and clear throughout the album is the idea that we all need God, and we need him now, this morning, this afternoon, tonight. "Right here, right now / Under the stars / I promise You my heart / 'Cause it starts tonight," Toby sings on the chorus of the title track.

If you are looking for a hip-hop song in the style of "Made To Love," look no further than second song "Get Back Up." The melody and music is so catchy, I was bouncing in my seat as I listened to the song. "Funky Jesus Music" is next and I can't remember any album since Portable Sounds that has three opening tracks as strong and upbeat as the first three songs on Tonight. If the start of the album wasn't incredible enough, next comes Toby's GRAMMY-nominated song "City On Our Knees." "If you gotta start somewhere why not here? If you gotta start sometime why not now?" he asks on "City on Our Knees," which is a great song to cool down and worship before the next two songs get you moving again.

"ShowStopper" might actually live up to its pretty impressive title as it has even more grooves than "Boomin'," which was previously my favorite "party song" by Toby. The bridge "so rock me, drop me, but you will never stop me" sums up the energy level of this great song. "Changed Forever" has a confessional message and features some great guest vocals from Nirva Ready. "`Hold On' is very personal," Toby says. "Many lines are there to encourage my wife, but I know those lines could encourage anybody in a relationship. As for `Start Somewhere,' any time you're in love with somebody, you're going to bang heads from time to time. I don't know how many times I've been lying in bed, sweating it out and thinking, How am I going to make this right? But then you reach that moment of apology and forgiveness. And then there's "Wonderin'," in which Toby reminisces about the past with Kevin Max and Michael Tait in dcTalk I'm wonderin' 'bout the way I spend my days / Wonderin' if it's even worth the chase / Wonderin' if they're stealin' me from You." There's even a healthy dose of reggae on the album closer "Break Open the Sky," where Toby flexes his Jamaican family ties while Israel Houghton provides guest vocals. Other visiting vocalists include Relient K's Matthew Thiessen on "Wonderin'."

This is one of those albums that requires you to move your body along with the unbelievable hooks to truly "feel" the passion of these songs. Tonight should probably come with a warning label for people who get motion sickness. If these songs don't make you move, you may not have a pulse. Right now, this is the top Christian album of the year and the best overall album by tobyMac in my opinion. Tonight will certainly be holding a place in my top 10 albums of 2010.
on February 15, 2010
I bought a copy of TobyMac's latest CD album, "Tonight" from Family Christian Stores on its release date. The employee at the store was kind enough to sell me one of the "pre-bought" copies of the Limited Deluxe Edition of the album. :-) I started listening to it in my car on the way home and from the get-go, it definitely felt like a sequel to the best-selling album Portable Sounds. The album includes a diversity of different sounds and beats. From a more traditional rock style to hip hop and dance, the CD includes both heart-pumping rhythms and sincere heart-felt love songs. Already a hit song "City on Our Knees," is a call to action for many Christians, as the song says "Tonight's the night".

The album includes dance tracks "Funky Jesus Music", "ShowStopper" and "Tonight". The song "ShowStopper" may appear during the Winter Olympics 2010 and on the NFL Network. The album features John Cooper from the band Skillet, artist Beckah Shae and Matthew Thiessen from Relient K, as well as the members of the Diverse City Band, which includes DJ Maj, Shon Lock, B. "Da Bomb" Haley, Gabereal, Nirva Dorsaint-Ready, Tim Rosenau, Toddie Funk and Dave "dDubb" Wyatt.

One thing I liked about this Deluxe Edition is the fact that it includes a Bonus DVD with approximately 70 minutes of content, i.e., behind the scenes, making of, on tour footage, and Gospel Music Channel's Faith and Fame. You get to see TobyMac's journey from his early childhood, the dcTalk days, to where he's at today. It's informative, honest, and fun to watch.

If you're a TobyMac fan and enjoyed his prequel album, Portable Sounds, you won't be disappointed with Tonight!!! :-)
on February 10, 2010
Okay music fans! If you love music this is a great CD to have. If you have had a rough year & looking for God to speak to you & restore you & minister to you, this CD is a MUST!

Toby has been doing his thing for more than 20 years & I must say TMac I do not know how you do it but you have out done yourself again. You are not only writing good music, but tapping into God's heart & raising up an amazing future talent (go TruDog- I look forward to hearing more of you in the up & coming years).

Whatever you may be going through, God will use this music to minister to your soul!

Enjoy!
on March 7, 2016
I purchased the CD Toby Mac, Tonight for one of my daughters. She said Toby Mac is her favorite Christian singer/songwriter. All of the songs on the CD have a great sound. All of Toby's songs have lessons. This all came from my teenage daughter.
on February 9, 2010
Say what you want about the Christian music community, but Toby has more talent in his left pinky than most of the mainstream dribble out there and "Tonight" shows us once again why Toby is THE front-runner of the CCM market. I have been a loooooong time Toby fan, dating all the way back to 92 with DC Talk's "Free At Last" came out and as much as I miss Kevin and Micheal the bands break-up gave us a diamond with Toby's solo career (and Im glad to see the other guys still in the industry).

Tonight feels a lot like Portable Sounds, and that's not a bad thing at all. It showcases Toby's signature style, creating a multi-genre uplifting record with personal lyrics, catchy tunes, and amazing production value. The title track is just about the most-perfect pop/rock song I have ever heard and John Coopers vocals fit perfectly. You get a little of everything here and it's all good stuff. Even Truet's (Toby's son) song is better than the last and the ending dialogue is hillarious.

"Portable Sounds" peaked at #10 on the Billboard 200, I will be shocked if "Tonight" doesn't hit the top 5. BUY IT NOW!
on February 10, 2010
Well, I pre-ordered toby's newest "tonight" months ago and my expectations were high (and rightfully so, he usually delivers) but this one let me down. I noticed another reviewer commenting that these smell like b-sides; I concur. Toby usually raises his game from cd to cd and changes his style to keep it fresh but these songs just sound like a continuation of "Portable sounds", only not quite as good.

I had really looked forward to hearing what toby and Matt Theissen of Relient K would come up with in their collaboration, but their song "Wonderin" was really the largest swing and miss for me. Others that didn't quite connect with me were "Get back up" which is too similar to "I'm for you", and "Captured" which reminded me of "Burn for you". "Funky Jesus music" is the "Diverse city" of this album and "Showstopper" is just like "The slam", "Boomin", "Yours", and "Extreme days".

All is not lost though, the title track "Tonight" with John Cooper from Skillet is a major highlight, more of a driving techno rock feel. "City on our knees" is still a great song even though radio plays it to death. "Break open the sky" is Tobymac's nod to traditional reggae although Israel Houghton's appearance is forgettable. The horns in "Start Somewhere" are nice and tasty, and "Hey devil" is different enough from previous rock songs that Toby has done to keep it interesting.

As a long time fan of all the former Dc talk boys I really wanted to love this one, but I didn't see enough growth and risk to warrant more than a 3 star cd.
VINE VOICEon January 10, 2013
There's a lot to like on Toby Mac's TONIGHT. Is it perfect ? No. But its got a lot going for it. Honestly, I'm not that crazy about the title track. But once I get over that hump there's some real high points including CITY ON OUR KNEES, a slow jam with a powerful message. SHOWSTOPPER picks up the beat and is a lot of fun. HEY DEVIL is a real rocker that paints a great word picture. Stylistically, and lyrically, START SOMEWHERE could actually be a sequel to Livin' La Vida Loca. Certainly worth a good long look, and multiple listens, Tonight is another win in Toby Mac's column.
on February 17, 2014
I heard of TobyMac via a studio CD: "Eye on It," which I really enjoyed. Only after I had already purchased the "Tonight" CD did I find out that MOST of his material is much too loud a chaotic for me to hang on for the message. A lot of "LIVE" stuff. Note: I am in my early 60's
on October 23, 2012
God used "Hold ON" one early morning while my son was in the hospital and not sure he would get well with pneumonia. I was feeling very overwhelmed and on the way home, just to pick up a few things and get right back to the hospital, Lifesongs radio was playing this song. Within seconds my worries lifted as I thanked God because I knew that my family and I had to really "hold on" and "press in" for a complete miracle--which gratefully came to pass--Thank you Heavenly Father! I'm an older girl 56--but age doesn't matter, TobyMac and his music are anointed and being used for God's Glory in wonderful ways. Good job and thank you TobyMac!

Blessings,

Cyndi D.
on January 13, 2013
What can you say about TobyMac, one of the original dcTalk members, along with Kevin Max and Michael Tait? His music is always fresh and he has great beats. He helped bring Christian music more into the light, if you will, and showed that it was okay for we Christians to like upbeat, fun music that still carries a Godly message. He has always made it clear that he's following his calling, and he's not out for the fame and glory. He's helped other young artists get their shot, as well.