Color: RedVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'd been looking at new cameras, so I was thrilled when I received the Fujifilm FinePix Z700EXR through Amazon Vine. This camera has all of the features I was looking for in a camera: it takes excellent pictures, it's great in low-light, the menuing system is easy to navigate, and, something that I didn't even know I needed until I saw it - a screen big enough that I don't have to wear my glasses when I take a picture! If you are of "a certain age" you know what a pain glasses are in regards to cameras - glasses off to see the person you are photographing - glasses on to frame them on the camera and set any menus - glasses off - glasses on, etc., etc., etc.

The screen on this camera is HUGE! And it's a touchscreen so rather than endlessly pushing arrow buttons (up, down, right, left) to move through menus then trying to remember which button to push to select (I always push the wrong one!) you simply touch the menu item, then touch your choice. Ahhh, simplicity!

In the video I try to show the basics of using the camera and a few of my favorite features. I read the entire instruction manual and the list of things that this camera can do is really impressive, but honestly, but I'll probably never use most of them. I just want to take decent quality photos of my friends, family and pets.

I also want to be able to turn the flash off easily because I really don't like the way the flash flattens the image when shooting people (the flash tends to wash out all of the shadows and makes everything look flat and overly bright... think "dear in the headlights") This camera has a feature called "Natural Light & Flash" which, when set, takes two photos in rapid succession every time you press the shutter: one with a flash and one without.

For me this is the most brilliant and most useful feature I've ever seen on a camera! Instead of taking a shot with the flash off, looking at it, realizing that there wasn't enough light, stepping through 15 levels of menus to turn on the flash, then taking another photo, and, by now, the scene has changed and the moment is lost - now I just hit the shutter button and boom, boom the camera fires off two shots, the first without the flash and the second with. It even shows you the two side by side on the screen after it takes them. I love this feature!

This camera addresses my three biggest concerns when buying a camera: it takes good photos, it works well in low light and the menu is drop-dead simple to navigate. But it also slam-dunks two requirements that I didn't even know I had until I used it: a screen big enough to see without my glasses and the ability to shoot a flash/no flash sequence every time I take a photo. My standards have officially been raised.

I've already recommended the Fujifilm Finepix Z700EXR to a couple of friends who, when they saw the screen on this thing didn't want to give it back! But this one's mine, get your own.

Update- 06-12-10

I've had the time to use the camera a lot more and have found that the "Natural Light & Flash" feature, though really quite wonderful, also slows the camera's recovery time between shots significantly. If you are going to be taking a lot of shots, say at a party, you might want to take the first one in this mode, then see which looks best, with or without the flash, then turn off the Natural Light & Flash and take the rest of your shots in the flash/no flash mode that looked best.

I hope this video-review helps,
Claire

PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. If you'd also like to ask a question or leave a comment I usually respond the same day, so if you have a question or comment (even if it's just to say, Hi!") feel free to post it below.
5555 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color: RedVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having owned 3 different models of the Z-Series Fuji camera, I feel so fortunate to be able to review this top-of-the-line Z700 EXR. I'm a camera buff; I have purchased ten Fuji's since 2003 and have never been let down by any of them. (My oldest, a 2MP A205, still works).

I love the Z700's metal construction. I have the red, it's a true red with no pink tones, so it should appeal to either gender. The tripod mount is located center bottom, so you can use a mini-tripod without it tipping over. I'm fairly certain the silver parts are plastic, but the main camera body is metal.

What's in the box? The camera, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, battery charger, USB cable, software CD, basic instruction manual and hand strap. The manual is 23 pages in the English version, and also comes with French and Spanish manuals. The full manual is on the CD.

The lens is protected by a sliding cover which also powers the camera on and off. The lens (5X optical) zooms in and out INSIDE the camera, so you don't have to be as careful when you handle it. Unless you drop the camera you probably won't get a zoom error that commonly happens with cameras where the lens protrudes outward when powered up and you accidentally bump it into something.

One thing I like better about this Z700 than some of the older Z series is the USB connector is not located inside the battery compartment, it's on the side of the camera, behind a door. The battery compartment door (on the bottom) appears to be well-made.

On previous Z cameras the buttons were too close and it was easy to press the incorrect one. I don't have that problem here as everything is done by touch-screen. At the same time I'm a little skeptical that the screen will work years from now. It's a whopping big 3.5 inches, biggest I've seen so far, but it has to be large due to the "buttons" being on the LCD. In any event, once you get used to using it, all the symbols for the functions look similar to what you'd see on a conventional digital camera. A light touch is all that is needed to choose your settings.

The default is the EXR Auto mode - this is similar as the SR Auto (scene recognition) mode on less expensive Fuji's. The sensor is supposed to discern what you are taking a picture of: Portrait, Landscape, Night, Macro, Backlit Portrait, or Night Portrait. In addition to choosing the scene, it also decides which EXR mode to use automatically. Sometimes the pictures turn out better if I choose the mode myself instead of letting the camera do it automatically. Just tap over to either of the 3 EXR shooting modes: HR, SN, or DR, because the camera doesn't always choose the correct scene if used in EXR AUTO (it messes up approximately 5% of the time, not that big a deal, but still....). I haven't been lucky with the SN setting - so far SN has resulted in grainy pictures, I guess practice makes perfect with this setting. (HR is high resolution, SN stands for sensitivity/low noise, and DR stands for dynamic range).

Recovery time after taking a picture without using the flash was under a second; recovery time between pictures with the flash firing was under 2 seconds before the camera was ready to take another shot...this was faster than other cameras I've used recently. Recovery time also depends on the class of your SD card.

This camera has OPTICAL Image Stabilization, accomplished by CCD sensor-shift technology. As far as manual settings, the settings are: ISO, white balance, exposure compensation, size, quality (normal/fine), D-range, and film simulation.

So far I've shot over 100 pictures and some short movies and the battery is still fully charged. The charger is included and you can fully charge the battery in a little over an hour. I prefer lithium batteries over AA's as they make the camera lighter in weight. You just have to plan ahead in case you are going somewhere so you have a fully charged battery, or buy a spare. Speaking of camera weight, the Z700 is slightly heavier than other compact cameras, due to it being metal.

Being a pet owner, my favorite feature is the Pet Recognition. It can recognize the facial features of many dog and cat breeds to optimize the focus. My cats are mixed breeds and they were recognized too. However, it will not recognize Persians with smooshed-up faces. I've noticed that when used in the cat (or dog) mode, the camera tends to focus on the face, and not the rest of the body. Works better as a "portrait" shot. If I'm photographing the entire body, it works better on EXR Auto.

There are two movie selections - HD and 640 in the AVI format. The HD video quality is better than my Flip Mino HD camcorder. Optical zoom needs to be set before recording starts, it cannot be changed after the button is pushed. Focus is also set when recording begins, but exposure and white balance are constantly adjusting during the recording.

Playing movies on your TV requires an optional A/V cable. Playing HD movies requires an optional HDMI cable. There is also a Model HDP-L1 player available on Fujifilm's web site, which includes an HD card reader and a remote. Since I don't have an HDTV, I didn't purchase this so I can't comment on it.

This camera comes with Fuji photo editing software (not a favorite of mine). It's compatible with Windows 7, Vista, XP and Mac. The software is not as good as Picasa, so I don't use it. I never edit my photos while in the camera, it's easier to use the computer for this.

This camera has 30 MB of internal memory, so pick up an SD card with a minimum Class 4 speed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
THINGS I DON'T LIKE:

1. The screen shows fingerprints so I'm constantly wiping it off with a cloth. I hate dirty screens!

2. One thing I did not expect is that the touchscreen (and the entire camera) gets very warm if you have it turned on for an extended period of time - 10 minutes or so is all it took for mine to heat up - which wouldn't be an unusually long period of time if you are taking lots of pictures. I am not sure if the camera could overheat, but it's something to keep in mind.

3. Due to practically the entire back of the camera being a touch-screen, there's not much area to grasp the camera. I find myself carefully holding the top and bottom. And I ruined a lot of pictures in the beginning with my fingers getting in the way of the lens.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WHO WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS CAMERA FOR? Not a young child because of the touch-screen - easily broken and this camera isn't cheap. Not for grandma or grandpa either unless they are somewhat comfortable with digital cameras already. For everyone else: Go for it! It's a cool-looking camera that takes really great pictures. I would definitely choose another Fuji with the Super CCD EXR. Would I buy another touch-screen? I'm not sure at this point. It will depend on how long this one lasts before it gives me trouble. I hope it never does. To be honest, I didn't much care for the touch-screen at first, but it's growing on me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NOTE: If you need a camera case, this one is perfect for the Z700EXR and it has enough room to carry an extra battery and SD card. Lowepro Volta 20 Camera Case (Black)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color: RedVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been into small pocket sized Fuji cameras since the Z1 (the beginning). I've had a few of them since then, and never once have I had a hardware failure or electronics malfunction with a Fuji. They're made of metal, they're durable and they're stylish. This review will be more of a conversation about the camera and its performance instead of a bullet list of features.

This model has a touch screen, which was new for me in a Fuji. I found that taking pictures was very easy, the portability and how much grip I could hold on the camera was excellent, and the picture quality was good, but I have a few scenarios I'm going to continue testing. The touch screen is a pleasure to use compared to the touch screen I used on the Nikon S70. The interface on the touch screen is also far superior to the S70 Nikon in my opinion, plus it just feels more durable on this Fuji.

I attached some photos for you to take a look at that were taken with the camera-- some text under macro mode in low lighting (excellent), an outdoor photo of a brick building (very good), and an indoor photo of a living room (less good). The camera has done excellent for me in all scenarios but indoor photos were the least desirable in my opinion. They had some lack of focus, which after some testing seemed to be because I had facial recognition turned on, but there were no faces to recognize. I'm going to do some more testing with this to be sure.

The camera is easy to grip, but if you're trying to grip it with one hand and take photos while doing something with the other hand, it may take some adjustment. The adjustment comes in the fact that the screen is so big on the back that I've found myself pressing buttons when I didn't mean to, changing settings on the camera. I think this will just be an issue needing my awareness on how to hold the camera, and when the normal two hands are involved there is no issue. I suspect the grip issue is going to exist on any small camera with a touch screen while trying to use one hand.

Fuji has been quick to move some of their higher end features into this tiny pocket sized model. I also have the Fuji HS10, which I absolutely love, but which is far larger and more complicated than this camera-- but some of the nice features have quickly trickled down such as the facial recognition, image stabilization and capturing HD movies.

It may seem like a small thing, but one of my favorite improvements over the years and coming with this camera is that the battery charger plugs directly into the wall instead of having a power cable on it. It's the thought put into that which make a difference for me when travelling with a tiny camera.

The camera has a myriad of custom settings and specialized shooting modes if you're into that, and if you want to leave it in auto mode, that worked just as well for me. I enjoy the natural lighting mode, sepia and black & white simulation modes.

If you are looking for a pocket sized powerhouse that is also stylish and durable, this may be the camera for you. I have never had a Fuji let me down, and so far this one seems to be no different.

I hope to keep updating this review as I get to spend more time with the camera.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color: RedVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This takes really great pictures! Or maybe I just have beautiful kids!...Nah, it's the camera. Seriously, I didn't want to just give it five stars, I sat and thought about possible drawbacks, but I haven't found any. My last digital camera was something like 3 megapixels, and the telephoto lens thingy got stuck and never got unstuck. That will never happen with this one, and the pictures are so sharp, and so beautiful, and I love the touchscreen controls.
I had a little trouble with the menu, but I'm not good with high tech devices, I buy cell phones that don't do anything but make phone calls because I can't handle the camera and other add ons. I did figure it out, which means it must be really easy!
It comes with a large 4 gig SD card, it's easy to charge, it holds the charge a long time, I love the battery life, I haven't tested it with a vacation yet, but based on how often I've had to recharge I think it will be just fine. It's easy to load the pictures on the computer, I never even installed the software that came with it.
It's easy to use, even I figured it out, and I have been very unenthusiastic about digital cameras, I still keep my film camera in easy reach, but it's getting less and less use now. The digital revolution finally embroiled me and forced me to take sides, and I have to admit, the freedom of not using film is exhilarating.
I really like this camera. I'm not worthy of it, I don't know what I'm doing, I can't give one of those technical reviews, (except turn the little flat knob on the ring around the button on top right or left for telephoto or wide angle. It's counterintuitive, but that's how it works, and if it's in the wrong mode, hit the other button on top and it switches.)but it works in spite of me. I have taken some fantastic pictures.
I dreaded reviewing this, because I like it so much I sound sycophantic, but it would be unfair NOT to review it just because I like it a lot and can't find anything negative to say, no matter how I try.
It must be pretty sturdy, because it's held up to family use, we've had it for weeks and had no problems of any sort, even though it's been dropped (hear that, Nikon? Find out what fuji is doing right!) My husband's Nikon didn't survive a small fall onto carpet, but this has been dropped outside and it's fine.
Finally, it's red, I always secretly wanted a bright red digital camera. It's easier to keep track of because of that, and it looks very sharp and stylish.
So that is a totally non-technical review, from someone who is terrified of menus and buttons and gadgets. If you're like me, don't be scared, it's very easy, and if you have problems, find a small child to help you. That's what I do.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color: RedVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am writing this review as a decidedly amateur, sporadic digital photographer. Several years ago, my sister gave me her old Nikon Coolpix 880 (state of the art in 2000) and I had a lot of trouble making myself use it. The pictures she took with it looked so much better than mine, largely because I never could hold the camera stable enough to get good shots. I was also bad about forgetting to take off the lens cover and the lens would strain against it, trying to shwoop out. The Nikon was so big and unwieldy that I just rarely bothered to take it anywhere with me. I'd use it to batch-shoot a bunch of things to put up for sale on eBay or Craig's List when I decided to clear things out, but that was the extent of my photographic exploits. I may have taken 30 photographs the whole time I had it. Let's just say that I did not enjoy digital photography.

So it was sheer delight to get my hands on the FinePix Z700EXR! It's about the size of a deck of cards with a detachable wrist strap so you can "wear it with you" and not leave it lying on a table somewhere by mistake. There are no lens mishaps to worry about, because the camera is off when the sliding lens cover is closed (unless in the handy closed-cover playback mode) and turns on when the cover is slid open; the lens itself stays in the camera and doesn't poke out. Your choice of auto-off mode can be set in seconds, and if you're actively shooting you can disable auto-off. That's really helpful.

When you first get the camera, you'll need to charge the battery. I love how tidy the battery charger is; it plugs directly into the wall outlet. Be sure to follow the insertion instructions for the battery. And whatever you do, don't put the memory card in backwards like I did. (I couldn't tell how it was meant to go in, so I had it turned around so the little notches were facing toward the battery. I thought I would NEVER get that card out! Once I did, and I put it in correctly, it was very easy to pop it in and out.)

The camera's view window takes up one full side, and all the camera's settings are touch-accessible/settable right on the screen, beckoning you to explore what the camera can do. You can toggle the settings icons on and off with a touch of the DISP button. There are many settings I know a knowledgeable photographer would use (film-type emulation, the various non-auto modes, etc.) but I don't know enough yet to evaluate how well they work. I plan to experiment with the FinePix's capabilities by taking the same shot several different ways and comparing the photos with the handy compare tool. This feature facilitates taking reference shots so the more fussy among us can ensure they get the perfect shot. For me, it will be a great way, while playing, to learn the finer points of digital photography—almost like having a hands-on photography course right there in my camera!

The FinePix Z700EXR does an excellent job of stabilizing shots. The first day I used it, we were traveling about 55 mph along a small-town/country road, and I was just holding the camera (in auto-flash/focus mode with the screen-touch shooting capability turned on) and tapping it indiscriminately as we rode along, not even looking at the view screen. I was very surprised at how well a lot of the pictures turned out. Perhaps 10% of them were blurred; the rest had sharp points of focus with the background looking great. I did get my thumb in some of them until I realized I could just hold the camera with my fingers along the bottom back of the camera, over the slid-back lens cap, instead of trying to daintily dot my non-dainty fingertips around the edges.

The most amazing thing to me is that I can frame a shot, tap the point of focus wherever it is in the shot (somebody's face, or a bug on a leaf) and the Z700EXR does its magic to set up the shot for me. I can zoom in easily and get very detailed shots of bugs I find in my garden, then go in and look them up in Garden Insects of North America to find out if they are good or bad before I kill them. I can pinpoint the finer details of the various blights and spots, then investigate online so I'll know exactly how to deal with them. The FinePix Z700EXR: Best. Garden. Tool. Ever.

So far, I haven't played around much with the camera's editing and social network-tagging features, but they are there. For now, I've just been renaming and editing the photos with Picasa or Photoshop and uploading them to Facebook using Facebook's tools. Because I design book covers and do production and editorial work for FutureCycle Press (poetry), I'm taking all my shots in Fine mode and resizing/watermarking them using FastStone Image Viewer before putting them on the web because there's no telling when I might want to clip a portion of an original photo out to use in a design. For most people, the Normal setting is probably just fine and takes up far less memory.

I have nothing but warm and fuzzy feelings for Fujifilm for giving me the opportunity to review this awesome camera. I might actually turn into one of those people who is really "into" digital photography.
on April 24, 2010
We have had digital cameras with the elongating lenses, which we have found to be too sensitive and break easily (one was a Fujifilm, and the other was a Canon). So this time, we wanted a little guy that didn't have a lens that moved in and out to avoid breakage. Since we had owned a Fujifilm camera in the past that took, in our opinion, some of the best pictures we've had yet from a point-and-shoot, we decided to try another one.

This one, while being a nice flat, pocket camera, is only ok. First, let's talk about this EXR technology. Fujifilm wants to to think this EXR technology is super great, and, well, it can be, but you have to know what you're doing. The camera allows you to select one of three EXR shooting modes: HR for resolution priority, SN for minimal noise (for nighttime photos this would be best), and DR for D-range priority (as it tells you in the menu, this is for "preventing washout and captures tonality in bright scenes"). There is also an option to have the camera automatically select which one of these you use, but so far from my experience, the camera doesn't "choose wisely," particularly in ambiguous lighting situations. I've uploaded a cropped photo I took where the camera was on EXR auto, and you can see a lot of noise and loss of sharpness. In contrast, I've uploaded a few shots where I specifically selected HR, and when I did, it made a world of difference. Likewise, when taking photos inside during the day, I find putting the camera in "natural light" mode is the best. So in summation, it can take fine photos, but to get the most out of the shots, make sure you put it in the appropriate mode. This, to me, kinda detracts from its value since what we were really looking for here is a simple point-and-shoot that didn't require fidgeting beforehand in order to get good shots.

Additionally, Fujifilm says you can use your finger and push on the part of the screen on the back to focus and take the picture. It works only ok. While there's an expected delay between you pushing on the screen and the photo being taken, it just doesn't do a great, consistent job of it. Thankfully, there is a button on the top of the camera that lets you take photos, so this problem isn't too much of a problem at all.

Overall, the Z700EXR isn't a bad pocket camera, but maybe there's a better one out there. I don't know if there is, but I'd probably do more research if I were buying again.
review image review image review image
Color: RedVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Fujifilm Finepix Z700EXR must is unique enough to merit being evaluated on its own features and not compared to other cameras.

This is a diminutive point `n shoot that fits easily in any pocket. It is small, thin and light.

The camera's front has two unique features: sliding a panel up and down turns the camera off and the 5X optical zoom lens does not extend outward. It is a pretty slick system with a couple of drawbacks. The camera is so small that you have to remember to hold its left-side by the edges, lest you get your fingers in front of the lens. Until you get into the habit of doing that, which doesn't take long, you'll also find that the flush lens face attracts finger oils like a magnet. Depending on how much oil you secrete, it doesn't take much to cover the lens with your own body oil, which acts a diffuser and makes your pictures appear to be out of focus. You definitely want to keep a microfiber cloth with you. This camera requires frequent cleaning not only of the lens, but of the 3.5 inch touch screen on the back.

The camera has only three physical controls. The front plate, which slides up and down to turn the camera on and off. A shutter button combined with the zoom control and another top-mounted control to switch between camera functions and playback. A small door on the side hides a USB port. There is a tripod screw on the bottom mounted almost in the center.

The sensor is described as a 12 Megapixel "1/2-inch Super honeycomb EXR CCD with primary color filter". In theory, this design should give you more detail and better color rendition. I have no means other than my eye to validate any such claims in detail, so I'll just say that the images are nice.

The 3.5" touch screen is where all the real camera controls are located. In both camera and playback mode, a row of icons on either side of the screen let you choose a variety of functions by touch. These include eight exposure modes, flash, auto-timer, macro mode, a menu button, face recognition switch, display mode and playback.

Interestingly the screen touch button make some forms of camera control quick and easy. Choosing the camera mode is a straight forward process: press the main mode button and then choose the desired mode. There are four EXR modes which are supposed to be full auto modes sort of on steroids. There's a full auto EXR mode which is for those who don't want to make any decisions, a resolution priority mode or optimizing detail, a high ISO and low noise setting which is supposed to minimize noise in lo light shots and what they call a "D-range" mode that is supposed to keep highlights from blowing out. In practice, the EXR Auto mode simply lets the camera make all the decisions.

I personally prefer more direct control and used the Auto setting which the camera manual suggests using in most situations. You can set the maximum ISO to be used in this mode, which is quite handy.

There's a somewhat gimmicky, but still useful "touch `n shoot" that allows you to touch the subject you want your primary focus on with your fingertip and the camera determines focus and exposure on that object. It is clumsy in some ways, but my prove useful in certain situations.

The Scene Position mode provides 15 presets for backlit situations, portraits, landscapes and so on. There is also a very unique pet recognition mode that promises to recognize dogs and cats. I didn't test that one, but I am sure many people will.

There's a Natural Light mode that promises to optimize exposure and ISO for natural light photos and it works well. There is also a natural light with flash option that takes two photos, one without flash and one with. It works well.

There is also Manual Exposure mode, but there is nothing in the manual about setting shutter and aperture independently in this mode. I haven't figured this one out yet.

Finally there is Movie mode. The 720p resolution from this camera is gorgeous. You can't zoom while using this option. You can also take 640 x 480 videos. The built-in microphone worked reasonably well.

Overall, image quality was pretty good with excellent color saturation and few blown highlights in the sunny summer day outdoors shots I took. I felt that the noise at all ISO levels was a little higher than I am accustomed to in higher end point `n shoots like this one, but that is a personal opinion.

On the whole, this is a more than adequate point `n shoot camera. The non-extending lens is a major plus factor. The 5X optical zoom with optical stabilization is more than competent. Flash range is pretty good. The 35mm lens equivalent is 35 - 175mm. However, the lens at wide angle seemed to be wider than 35mm. Macro mode runs from about four inches, which is excellent. SDHC cards up to 32GB may be used.

Playback options are many and some are kind of fun, like the gesture control of moving from one image to another. There is a cropping capability along with a collage feature.

All in all, this is a fully featured point `n shoot in a very small, unobtrusive package. The non-extending lens is a major plus factor. Start up is a bit on the slow side, though shutter lag is pretty short. The only drawbacks I find worth mentioning are that the lens is easily smeared with finger oils and the lens tends to flare when shooting toward the Sun. This can actually be used to good creative effect, such as posing someone in front of a bush with the sun filtering through. The flare adds a nice touch, but you have to compose your scenes carefully.

The weakest point of the camera is battery life. The manufacturer says 170 shots - I haven't gotten more than 100. However batteries for this are inexpensive, so just get a spare or two.

Overall, this a very stylish and competent point `n shoot. It now has a place in my pocket whenever I go out. It's fun and capable.

Jerry
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Fujifilm FinePix Z700EXR

The natural colors and the great lens make a winning combination.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros:
-- Excellent lens! Generous 5x Zoom range, very sharp, clear images. Very little chromatic aberration ("purple fringing").
-- Extremely compact, good build quality, well thought out design.
-- Nice looking camera, stylish design, clever engineering.
-- Includes a printed manual, an excellent battery and charger, USB cable, etc.
-- Uses the widely available, inexpensive SD/SDHC memory cards.
-- Excellent *natural* color (not "juiced" up like many P&S cams).
-- Great Macro Mode! Easy to use and works well.
-- The touchscreen interface actually works very well.
-- Has features enthusiast photographers will love (thinking is rewarded).
-- Fairly powerful flash (for a built-in).
-- Best suited for the enthusiast (in my opinion), more range and capabilities than the average compact camera.

Cons:
-- Extremely compact - easy to get fingers in the way of lens and flash, but you'll learn. ;)
-- No viewfinder. Sadly becoming the norm. (I find it much easier to frame and focus using a viewfinder.)
-- Lots of noise in high ISO images (but same for every other compact P&S). At least you get the shot (and have a choice).
-- Might take a bit more thought than some other compact cameras (but worth it in my opinion)

First off, I am going on a trip tomorrow and had planned to take my long-time favorite compact (another brand) which I truly love, but after using this, I feel confident enough in it to take it with me instead. It has already proven that it is quite capable of excellent images. Also, although I was a bit skeptical of the touch screen interface, as it turns out, it actually works quite well and is easy to use.

This is a *very* small camera, about the size of a deck of cards. It has a high rez 3.5" LCD touch screen that takes up the entire rear of the camera. It seemed bright enough to me and I had no issues using it in bright light outdoors. The camera uses Fuji's exclusive EXR Super CCD sensor technology. Fuji has been going their own way for many years with this tech and I have had earlier Fuji cameras using earlier generations of this sensor and it does have it's special strengths. The EXR bit is some new tech Fuji has been employing recently. It used to be camera makers made a choice and you had to live with it. Fuji got smart and now they let you make the choice. You can choose whether high resolution, wide dynamic range, or high sensitivity and low noise (relatively speaking), are the most important for the scene you are shooting. This is a nice development that gives a compact camera more control and is a welcome advancement for enthusiasts. Of course, they still include the more usual scene and auto modes, and a manual mode for even more control. All in all, much more advanced than your average compact point and shoot. The Z700 also includes dual image stabilization and a generous 5X Optical Zoom lens that's a "periscope" design which stays internal to the body rather than poking in and out while zooming. And the Z700 can even shoot HD (720p) video (though it won't replace a proper HD Video Cam by any means).

I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to this ultra-compact power house. I skimmed over the basic printed manual (nice), but really, you can just pick this cam up and figure most everything out fairly quickly. I had a lot of reservations about the touch screen interface. I love my big SLR's with buttons galore! However, I actually found it nice, easy to use, and fairly intuitive. Although I still prefer using a viewfinder for composition and focusing, I'm somewhat resigned to the fact that they are gone forever on these new compacts. The fairly large LCD screen helps in this regard, making it easier to see details. I did not have any problems and was soon snapping merrily away. The quality of the images is great. Especially outdoors and in good light. They put a serious little lens on this thing, it's a marvel. The macro mode is superb. The clarity, sharp details, and natural color got my attention right away. Focusing was quick and accurate. The camera was very responsive. The image stabilization works well. I was excited to see how capable this little camera is. The natural colors and the great lens make a winning combination. If you are an enthusiast and are serious about photography, you'll be impressed.

I have not used the more glitzy stuff much (face recognition, image tagging, etc.) or the video modes -- I'm more interested in image quality and serious photo capabilities, and the Z700 looks like a contender to me in those areas. I will continue to shoot with it and will come back and update this review as I have more experience with this fine camera.

At the original price, it was a great value, at the new lower prices being offered, it's a superb choice. One of the more exciting models in this price range for sure.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
Color: RedVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At first glance, Fujifilm's FinePix Z700EXR looks like just about every other pocket-sized point-and-shoot camera. It comes with a 3.5" LCD wide screen with touch screen capabilities. It also has an internal 5X optical zoom lens, video capabilities, and 12 megapixel resolution for clear photos. Other features include multi-shot capabilities, numerous photo-taking options, and face/pet recognition.

While that's all pretty standard for many similar cameras, Fujifilm goes the extra step by loading up this camera with a ton of features and makes them easy to use as well. One of my favorite features is a with/without flash feature that allows you to take two photos in quick succession, one in natural light and the other with flash, and then have the opportunity to view both on a split screen. You can then delete one or both pics or save them for later. You can also turn on an anti-jitter feature that helps prevent blurred photos. Another nice feature is a slideshow option that lets you view pictures while music quietly plays in the background. There are a number of other features which you may or may not use, including a feature similar to Kodak's Easyshare button that allows you to quickly download photos to Facebook.

Overall use of these features and the accompanying software is relatively easy. Before even looking at the basic manual, I was able to pick up on a number of the camera's features. I took a few test shots at home with the family and then took the camera on the road with us as we spent a weekend together in town. The biggest test so far came during a local science fiction convention where I had the chance to take photos of costumes that ranged from dark-colored Klingons to bright red, white, and blue Captain America. No matter what the setting, the pictures came out very good.

If I have any complaints about this camera, they would have to be the location of lens and the auto shooting mode feature. The lens is right where you'd normally place your fingers while taking a basic photo. It took a little time to get used to pulling back my fingers to keep it from getting in the photo. The auto mode had a tendency to overuse the flash, resulting in some pretty bright photos that would have otherwise looked great in natural lighting.

The camera is packaged with a rechargeable battery that remains charged for a very long time. It also comes with a battery charger, software, a USB cable to connect to your computer, and a basic owner's manual.

It has a sleek look to it and can easily fit into your pocket. I do recommend purchasing a case for the camera in order to product the view screen. Overall, a wonderful camera that's full of easy to use bells and whistles that will not get in your way if you prefer not to use them.

Highly recommended.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon May 28, 2010
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE BOX:
Camera, battery charger, battery, strap, USB cable and a CD.

CAMERA:
The camera is very compact. 12 megapixel res. It has a slider cover that serves as lens protector as well as the on and off button. The first thing to setup is the language, date and time, which is simple and easy. After that, if you have any experience using a digital camera, you are pretty much set in taking your pictures out of the box. The first thing to note is that it has the wow factor that you can pretty much shoot, focus, and set the proper exposure by merely using the LCD touchscreen. Hold the camera, compose, touch your subject on the screen and it will shoot a picture without using the shutter button. Impressive! Well, nice to have an option, but then in the end, your normal trigger finger is still looking for the usual shutter feel when it comes to cheesy times. Fuji is well known to take better pictures in low lighting situations and the Z700 is no exception. ISO can be set up to 3200.

LCD.
This camera has a 3.5 inches touch screen widescreen LCD - it is huge. I mean huge! The glass covers the entire back of the camera. Unfortunately, that's the trade off - no viewfinder. It also has an accelerometer similar to the iPod where the image automatically shifts to portrait or landscape depending on how you hold the camera. You can advance or check the previous photos by sliding your finger forward or back. The only thing missing is the pinch for zooming in and out of an image.

ZOOM:
Zoom is 5x optical.

HIGH DEFINITION MOVIE:
This camera is capable of shooting 1280 x 720 high def movie (in AVI format). I was pretty excited to try this function as I was hoping with a bigger lens will have better quality than my Flip HD video camera. Not so, it is quite good on outdoor scenes, but very disappointing in indoor performance. Result is very grainy in dim light situations. It also cannot zoom during video shoots. Mono. 30 frames/sec. You won't be able to play your HD to your TV directly from the camera. The camera does not have an HDMI port. Instead, Fuji has the Fujifilm HDP-L1 HD Player and Remote as an accessory where you can put the SD card and connect to HDTV via HDMI.

CHARGER:
The included charger is rated for 100-240V, 50/60 Hz, which makes it a great portable travel charger. Not only it can accommodate the NP-45A battery which this camera uses, it also can charge another type of battery - the NP-50. Output is 4.2V at 550 mA. It is very light and is equipped with a folding retractable prongs for easy storage. Made in China.

BATTERY:
Fujifilm NP-45 Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery for Fuji Z & J Series Digital Cameras. 3.7 V720 mAh.

MEMORY CARD:
Uses Secure Digital (SD) memory cards (not included). You can have up to an 8G SDHC memory card. The camera has a 30MB (6 photos if you shoot in max resolution) internal memory built-in, but pretty limited in capacity.

VERDICT:
Overall, the camera takes wonderful photos. It has tons of presets for every imaginable shooting situation. You just have to pick the right setting and you'll almost certainly be satisfied. So small, but feature packed. Looking back in the days of my 640 x 480 Mavica, this pocket friendly point & shoot has gone a long long way.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations