Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

This is my third bluetooth earpiece, after the Plantronics Voyager 510 and the Plantronics Voyager 855. For its primary function (phone calls) I would give it the edge over either of those earpieces because of the excellent reception and noise cancellation, but if you are strongly interested in using A2DP to listen to music or podcasts, then the Voyager 855 is very competitive.

- Appearance: The Jawbone Icon is tiny and light, and shows clear design influence. Even the frickin box is beautiful, and the whole thing is something you might expect to see at Target - clearly mass produced, but still distinctive and attractive instead of merely functional. This model is "The Rogue" - two shiny black squares, with subtle red undertones. There are five other models, each with its own color and pattern. After a few weeks in my pocket, there are a couple scratches on the finish, so you may want to carry yours in an altoids tin or something.

- Sound: Here is where the Icon wins. The reception is great, even when my phone is in my pocket, at least on the same side. With the phone in my opposite side pocket, it's occasionally choppy. The Icon also has the latest Jawbone "NoiseAssassin" technology - basically, a piece of the phone touches your cheek to help the phone figure out what noises are coming from you and what is external. It's not perfect, but it is *much* better than anything I've used before. I can walk through a windy parking lot or talk while my car radio is on, and the noise cancellation eliminates most of the external noise. Icon also has automatic volume leveling, which seems ok, although some calls are still a little loud.

- Connectivity/Software: The Icon charges and connects to a PC through a microusb port, which is nice, and has the capacity to download software from Jawbone's app store. It has voice responses "I'm on and ready to go" or "Call from 555-..." instead of beeps, and you can actually select the voice you prefer from the app store. There are some apps for iphone integration -- for example, one app works with an iphone app to display a headset battery meter on your iphone, and apps for software upgrades like A2DP.

- Controls: There is a single control button on the back of the earpiece and an on-off switch on the inside. This simplicity is consistent with Icon's slick design philosophy, but I would have liked some extra buttons for functions like volume.

- Fit: The fit is not perfect. If you look at the picture, you will see a soft circle at the back of the earpiece. That circle presses up against the back of your ear, and the front presses against the front. Because the earpiece does not actually sit in the ear canal (like the 855), it doesn't block out as much exterior sound, and unless one of the three included circles is a good fit for your ear size, the fit may not be perfect. Alternately, there are earloops included too. I like the ear circle when it fits, but I've had the medium fall out a few times, and the large seems a little too big.

- Other: The battery claims to have about a four hour charge, and the voice will tell you how much you have left when you push the button. I've left mine on overnight without much loss in charge, and it seems like I get at least a few hours from it, maybe four. Multipoint bluetooth connectivity is good - I connected this to a Blackberry Curve and Nokia Nuron with no trouble, although I haven't been able to get A2DP and multipoint to work simultaneously.

- A2DP: As I said, you can install A2DP from the Icon app store. This allows you to use the Icon to listen to podcasts or music on your phone, and to use voice to control some phone apps. (Of course, music through a bluetooth connection in one ear only is not a Bose-quality experience, but sometimes it's still nice to listen to tunes without people knowing it.) The sound is good, but I still think the Voyager 855 is better for A2DP - the 855 has extra controls that let you adjust volume more precisely and to skip tracks, and the 855 has a second earpiece that you can connect if you want to go full stereo. (Update 4/8/11 - my understanding is that Jawbone now ships these with A2DP standard, but you can still install it from their app store if you don't have it).

- Comparison: Currently, this unit is twice the price of the Voyager 510 and is at about the same price level as the 855. On the other hand, it's much lighter than the 510, and is better looking and has much better noise cancellation than both. Overall, I'm happy I have it, but IMHO, the choice is close enough to depend on your specific needs and budget.

Update October 28, 2010: five months later, I love this earpiece more than ever. The fit still isn't perfect, but I love how light it is. (Between 9-10 grams according to my kitchen scale). I also love its design sense, and while the A2DP also less than perfect, I have happily listened to about a hundred podcasts since getting this thing. On balance, it's far and away my favorite bluetooth earpiece to date.
on March 20, 2010
I recently purchased the Jawbone Icon and Plantronics Voyager Pro at the same time so that I could test them both out and return the "loser" in my tests.

I've owned several Plantronics models over the years have never been particularly impressed by their noise reduction capabilities. The new Voyager Pro turned out to be no exception.

I performed identical tests in my home, leaving voicemails for myself to test the sound quality of both headsets under various conditions. My tests included:

Sitting on the couch with the TV louder than I normally listen to it
Sitting on the couch with music playing pretty loudly
Standing at the kitchen sink with the water running
Coffee grinder running
Silent room (to test general voice quality between the two headsets)

After listening to the voicemails I left for myself with each headset, the Icon was the clear winner. Noise cancellation was MUCH better with the Icon (at least with my iPhone - perhaps other cell phones would have different results). In a silent room, the voice quality for both headsets sounded pretty much on par from what I could tell.

I also called a friend and repeated these same tests during a "live" phone call and he confirmed that the Icon was the clear winner on his end as well.

The only thing I didn't test was wind noise, but that's not a particularly common scenario for me. Mainly, I needed to ensure that I can work in public places such as coffee shops and not have my clients distracted by background noise and the Icon seems like it will do just that!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 2, 2010
I've previously purchased and enjoyed (5 stars) the Jawbone 2 and Jawbone Prime. So I really expected the same enjoyment from the newest addition to the Jawbone family. It looks great and has the largest collection of ear buds of any headset I've used or tested. Advantages: Looks; feel; iPhone interface (battery meter!); customizable notifications. Disadvantages: I really don't like the adjustable ear loop. I prefer the bendable type that say where you put them. Maybe Jawbone could make one of the old style ear loops to fit the clip on type of the Icon. My only other problem with it is the voice quality. It sounds like they used a cheaper speaker in the headset. The previous two sounded great.

All in all, I would recommend this to a friend.
on November 11, 2010
I needed a new bluetooth earpiece because my old Plantronics Voyager finally died. I decided to try a smaller in ear earpiece rather than another large around the ear type. My wife loves the Jawbone Icon she has so I thought I would give it a try. I found one on Amazon that was affordable and ordered it. It came very quickly and I was happy with the size and look of it.

I quickly lost my enthusiasm when I couldn't get it to fit my ear using any of the included eargels that came with it. I liked the sound it provided but it was annoying to have to hold it in my ear while I was using it. This is especially annoying when driving because it kind of negates the whole point of having a hands free head set which is the law here in California for drivers.

I did some research and discovered that I was not alone in this problem but others had found a reasonable work around. Jabra makes a set of eargels that fit the Icon very well and keep the earpiece in my ear without having to screw it into my ear canal AND use the earhook. Once I fould this solution I was very happy with my earpiece and would recommend it to anyone looking for a small in the ear bluetooth earpiece.

The sound is great, the special features are great (I find that the volume is fine for me and don't need a volume adjust button) and I like that it actually tells me how much talk time I have (You have approximately 3 hours of talk time left) in a voice I can choose from the 6 on the Jawbone MyTalk website.

I especially love the fact that I can now listen to music and podcasts through it and don't have to fumble with wires while driving. My car stereo doesn't have an Aux plug and the FM transmitter I bought as a work around stinks.

If I hadn't had to find a work around for the eargels I would have easily given this earpiece a 5 star rating.
on April 15, 2010
CLARITY
I have had my Icon Rogue headset for about a month now and it is fantastic. I was on the phone with a friend while driving on the highway (windows up) and shared that I had just gotten the new headset and they asked if I was using it right then because they thought I was just using my phone. Another friend had commented that when I switched from my phone to the headset, they could hear me even better. (I own a Samsung Sway) My phone allows me to adjust the volume on my headset and I usually only have to adjust it when I am driving. The ear piece will also affect how well you hear so be sure you pick the best fit.

FIT
I am used to wearing ear-buds for music so I use the ear piece without the loop. The fit of the headset is good once you find the best fit. I switched between the large and medium ear piece and found that the medium ear piece fit the best and also allowed me to hear the best. I don't know if I would run with the headset (mostly because I listen to music when I run) but I can flick the headset with my finger and it holds pretty steadily in my ear.

WIND NOISE
I suggest wearing it on your right ear if you have the windows down while you're driving on the highway. Callers noted that they could still hear the wind but it wasn't unbearable. I had more trouble hearing the caller than the caller hearing me but I have a hard time hearing people with the windows down even with a phone.

CHARGING
The Jawbone website states that they do not support USB charging from your laptop or computer. I have found that when you plug your headset into your computer to sync it with the software, it does charge the headset. The headset will not indicate charging like it does when it's plugged into the wall charger though.

I am very happy with this headset.
on February 25, 2010
This is my second Jawbone, I had the Jawbone 2 worked great. I upgrade to this one because of the new features that work great with the iphone. Battery life is so much better also! The noise canceling feature is the best and works awesome! And the add switch to turn it off and on is great.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Pros:
Very easy to set up with our two phones (an iPhone and a Pantech).
Quite comfortable and lightweight.
Easy to turn on and off with a little button on the inside of the headset.
Easy to answer calls/hang up.
High quality sound.
Seems sturdy.

Con:
The normal earpiece does not fit little ears. In my case, I have to use the smallest earpiece with an over-the ear hook to keep the headset on. Hope the hook won't break...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Up until a few months ago, I may have been one of the few last remaining people on the planet to have been actively using an Original Jawbone. The performance of the Original Jawbone with my iPhone 3G was tolerable, but suffered from low volume (callers couldn't hear me) and the noise cancellation proved ineffective after some time. I also would lose or break those ridiculous earloops at an alarming rate.

The Jawbone Icon is a monumental improvement over the performance of the original Jawbone. Callers have no problem hearing me and most can't easily discern that I am using a bluetooth headset. The noise cancellation works much better than the Original. I love the fact that the earloop is no longer needed (at least for me). However, Jawbone does include an earloop for those who require one. The Jawbone apps are few thus far, but the ones I have tried have been well executed and useful. The Jawbone Icon Rogue is also one of the best looking bluetooth headsets I have ever seen. The finish is almost jewel like in appearance. It's small enough that if you forget to take it off in public, it would be barely noticeable from a distance (I use mine exclusively in the car, or at home). I also really appreciate that Jawbone included an actual button on the headset. Some users have lamented the lack of a separate volume control on the Jawbone Icon (volume can be adjusted during a call using the single button), but in my use I haven't had the need to ever adjust the volume, as it occurs automatically in response to environment.

I would recommend the Jawbone Icon to anyone needing a small, comfortable and unobtrusive bluetooth headset that effectively blocks out external noise. I drive a relatively loud Alfa Spider (especially with the top down) and have been able to hold a conversation on the Jawbone Icon without resorting to shouting. For that alone, I am ecstatic with the purchase of the Jawbone Icon.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I briefly owned an original Jawbone in 2006. Loved the noise cancellation, hated everything else about it: awkward physical design, hopelessly uncomfortable fit, uselessly goofy controls, silly charger design.

It's now 2010, and the above haven't changed. The Icon's sound quality and noise cancellation are still top-notch. But the design still doesn't fit right - I can't get the important little nub to stay on my cheek. It still doesn't fit - I don't have large ears, yet even the largest earbud fails to hold the thing in my ear. (And my ear will feel like it's on fire up to that point.) The controls are improved - I sure do like the iPhone integration, and the single button's functionality is much simpler, though that button is in a hard-to-press location. The charger sees a welcome update to the micro-USB standard; so to be true to its past, Jawbone supplies a charging block guaranteed to cover more than one outlet, and a THREE INCH LONG charging cable. That's right, 3", so either leave your headset on the floor, or go get a 6' USB-micro USB cable at Radio Shack for another $20.

I get the feeling Jawbone was, is, and will be run by mad scientists with no experience or interest in ergonomics. My Jawbone is going back (again - sigh), and I will look into Jabra (which always gets everything right) or Plantronics (which deserves a 2nd chance).

PS: The caller ID function is useless. The voice only reads digits, not names (for someone in your address book). Who remembers #'s any more?
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 6, 2012
While I must admit this has been an excellent product for the last 7 months, now that I am having a product defect problem, Jawbone refuses to honor the warranty. Jawbone referred me to the reseller on Amazon.com which promptly referred me to Amazon.com which only had a two month return policy.

**********************************
If you purchase this product from Amazon you will not have a valid warranty from Jawbone, their warranty is nontransferable.
**********************************