on May 28, 2010
This model replaces LG's mid-range offerings from the past two years which are currently being sold or cleared out at the various retailers. I did a lot of research between brands and models, and am convinced that this is currently the best combination of price/performance/features. Sale prices are more than $100 less than the older models, too.

Size: 37" TVs aren't as commonly stocked in stores, but I think it's a great size with a bigger picture than 32" without many more $$$. 40" or 42" were just too big for me to use and usually entailed a significant price jump.

Picture: The picture is fantastic, and the Picture Wizard tutorial helps get the colors set to something pleasing in short order. Viewing at an angle is superb, and was a differentiating factor from the Sony EX series. The Sonys washed out considerably with only a small change in viewing angle. I was tempted by LEDs but found the reflectiveness of their screens too distracting. I also looked into the 120 Hz models but, in my humble opinion, found them to be much ado about nothing. I like to watch action sports and have found everything to be crystal clear at 60 Hz. Side by side in the store I found the LG and comparable Samsung to be nearly identical.

Sound: I was prepared for the worst after reading scores of reviews saying that the sound out of this grade of speakers was terrible. I've been delighted with the output and the "surround" enhancement was good enough to be disconcerting (only because I wasn't expecting it). There are 5 sound modes in addition to custom; I haven't reached an opinion yet about these being a positive or negative. I see no need to get external speakers at this point.

[as an aside, I found one station for which the sound was out of sync with the picture. I'm connected via HDMI to a FiOS HD box. I'm not enough of a techie to know the cause for this, but all the stations that are my regulars are fine. It was PetHD that was out of sync.]

Features: There are ample inputs, including USB, but to date I've only used the HDMI. Unless you are looking for cutting edge Internet connectivity and are willing to pay for it, this has everything you need. I personally don't see the world of TV moving to 3D anytime soon, if at all, and certainly the current offerings aren't ready for prime time. For a 60 Hz, 1080p LCD TV there wasn't anything better that I found (that was worth the extra money).

Bottom Line: Great picture, great price. I was surprised that I got mine at Sears (of all places) for a price that blew everyone else away. I usually order from amazon with Prime shipping, but until last week their price wasn't competitive. My research told me that the prices on all these sets are in constant flux and the best price this week won't be at the same place next week.
on September 4, 2010
Verified Purchase
For the price, this LCD is phenomenal. I went to the local best buy looking for something to mount in the dining room so I can watch the news in the morning among other TV shows. After looking at all the 32s, 37s and 40s. This one stood above the rest. I have a Samsung LN46A650 and in my opinion, it was their best line of TVs and I'm glad I don't have to pick from their subpar line of TVs now. I've seen clarity, rich colors 1080p etc etc etc. The LG is comparable to a TV that was 3 times its price.

Let me explain. You really have to literally take look all of the quailties of a TV in order to make an educated and smart purchase. Don't buy a sony becuase it's a sony. Don't buy a TV of the same size that's more expensive because somewhere in our upbringing we wer taught, expensive = better. Not the case. When looking for a TV, look at how choppy fast motion is. Do you see background pixelation around the central image? (like a fast moving car, a football player, etc.) Can you see inconsistencies in the back lighting? Are blacks rich while the rest of the picture is vibrant? (not bright, vibrant)Does the picture look grainy or are the textures smooth? Try not to get caught up in the technical aspects of the TV if you don't know what they mean. They'll just make you *think* one TV is better than the other. Look at the TV and let your eyes decide.

After comparing several models in a similar size range, and taking cost into account, this TV wins hands down. At the store, you have to try to remove the factor of the factory settings becuse stores don't take the time to optimize *each and every* TV. Most TVs nowadays have more customization than you can shake a stick at. Gone are the basic color, tint, brightness settings. Now it's gamma, RGB, temperature and so on. Most TVs have the ability to be tuned the way you want it and it's because of this that it is so important to focus in on the mentioned above items. This LG shows a wonderful smooth picture that isn't grainy, doesn't show pixelation and colors are rich and lifelike, not plasticy and bright. Yes the Samsung of the same size is just as good, but the extra $200 it cost isn't. Go and literally take a look at your local store and look for the things I mentioned above an you'll see that this is a great Tv.
on April 25, 2010
We have been looking for a bedroom TV (had to be LCD and 1080P) for the past couple months. This was almost a no brainer, especially with the discounts we received from the store from which we purchased (HHGregg). It was even cheaper than Amazon pricing which is a shocker. This was our first LG purchase. We have typically been Samsung (love the 58" plasma) and Sharp (have a 32" 720P for the boys gaming), but the LG seems to be the most user friendly. I love the quick guide option off the remote which takes you quickly to areas of interest in setting up sound, video, etc...
Set-up was simple and the screen looks awesome. There are no Internet access points, but as this is just a TV for the bedroom we were not pressed on that front. I would recommend this TV for sure as a new model along with the most needed bells and whistles to make a typical buyer happy. Enjoy!
on September 22, 2010
Verified Purchase
I was very happy when I saw this amazing deal for a 1080p 37" HDTV, and even though I had never had any experience with LG's television line I expected it to be good.

I bought this TV for a college dorm room (approx. 15' x 20') for use with a PS3 and the cable provided by my school. I started out happy, used the TV for about 30 days, and unfortunately today I just dropped it off at UPS to be returned to Amazon for a full refund.

There were three main issues I had that lead to my final decision to return the TV. I hope that every one of these was just bad luck and were symptoms of a factory defect, but something in my gut says otherwise.

The first problem I noticed was before I even turned on the TV for the first time. If you looked closely at where the LCD screen is supposed to be mounted/glued to the inside of the bezel, it wasn't actually glued. It looked like there had been glue that before, but the screen had come loose in the top corners and along the top edge. You could visibly move the screen a few millimeters if you pushed gently against it. I was instantly worried, but after turning the TV on for the first time, it didn't seem to have an effect on how the image was displayed. I pushed it aside as a "design choice" of LGs since no one wants to admit they got a factory dud.

The second problem was the largest issue for me. If there was ever any sort of high contrast image displayed on the TV, all the rows of pixels that contained ANY of the very dark or very light image would be tinted towards black or white, respectively. This would be very obvious on the PS3 in Netflix, where you have movie art displayed on an off-white background. When changing between movies you can see all of the pixels from edge to edge change with it. I want to emphasize that this was something you would only seldom see when watching cable TV or playing an actual game. That's not to say that it wasn't there (it definitely was) but it's something that I could have lived with. So I chose to. Even after the screen being loose, I decided it wasn't worth the effort to get a replacement.

The third problem was the last straw. In certain games, the screen fades to all white (eg. when you die, or complete a level). When it would do this, there would be very slight reddish clouds across almost all of the screen. It looked very close to white, but if you squint your eyes or just look at it directly you can see that only 20% of the screen was actually true white. The red clouds were very close to white, once again this is something I think one could live with, but I decided I wasn't going to deal with all of these problems, or any that would probably arise in the future.

I decided to get a full refund and switch to the Samsung LN40C530 that I had been comparing against in the first place. The reason I didn't get a replacement is that when this many problems happen with a brand new product, it says something about the build quality of it in general. I know it is a little irrational to dismiss the chance that this was a lemon, but I was left with a very sour taste in my mouth.

I do want to mention that the refund and return process was very easy and I was incredibly impressed by Amazon in this regard. I had never returned anything (to Amazon) before and was worried it'd be painful and drawn out, but all I had to do was pack up the TV in the original box (always save boxes!) and drop it off at my local UPS pickup spot. Once they receive the TV they promised me a full refund. Also, I had bought a two year warranty extension from Amazon (LG service) and I emailed them telling them the situation hoping that I could get a refund on that since I hadn't even entered the original warranty. Within a few hours I had gotten an apology and a promised refund. I am so glad that these huge companies still care about individual customers. I would recommend to buy your TVs through Amazon (as well as any warranty extensions) but if you don't want to go through what I went through, I would avoid this model of TV.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 30, 2010
Verified Purchase
Our first hi-tech television brings my spouse and I into the modern era. This LG replaced our venerable and ancient Philips 16 inch tv that we got used, for free, and watched for over six years. It was purchasing the new re-imagined Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (with Collectible Cylon) which was filmed in HD, that finally pushed us into getting an HDTV for ourselves.

Well...wow. Unreal difference from a tube tv to a flatscreen. I had never heard of LG corp (Life's Good) before. I started by looking at more recognized brands like Samsung, Sanyo and Panasonic. But LG is in the hotel and club TV manufacturing and they were offering a heck of a lot of flatscreen tv at a better price than the others. So the risk was--try an unknown brand--LG--and hope we got something cool. We did.

It's black and sleek. A lot physically lighter than I thought it would be and I was able to easily assemble the base to the TV with the instructions that came with it. These HDTV flatscreens are less like a TV and more like a super-monitor.

This feature-rich HDTV has three HDMI ports (Try these Mediabridge Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable - 6ft - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel to connect your devices up). In addition to ports for component and old-school adapters like RCA and AVI it has a USB port! You can make a slideshow of photos on your laptop and put them on a USB and watch them on your LG flatscreen. Sweet! It has an 8mm headphone jack as well.

Very *very* colorful. Easy on the eyes in all lighting situations and distances. 1080p resolution renders a pleasing level of detail in objects. Only drawback is that non-HD tv looks meh now. Our playstation 2 and VCR tapes don't look so great either. On the other hand, a nice upscaling DVD player could make some of your DVDs look a lot better on this kind of TV.

From an interoperability standpoint, I am still figuring out all the things this TV can do. One of the most awesome functions is its onscreen interface. We used to use a small cable-switching box with big plastic buttons to tell our old TV which composite AV feed to display: DVD, comcast cable, PS2. This LG HDTV uses an onscreen interface in the 'inputs' section on the remote control to scan all incoming data signals and display what devices you have connected that are on. It lets you surf with the remote, which input to view, USB photos, cablebox, Playstation, DVD player. No more clunky cable switching box--thanks to a generous and varied array of input options on the back of the TV and a great onscreen menu to manage them.

Remote control is a little largish--but buttons are easy to press, super responsive and the onscreen menus are easy to navigate. TV is super smart and will power down the DVD player when we switch the screen off. Really nice introduction to flatpanel HDTVs with this LG. Well-priced for its features and just incredible picture to look at. Wonderful piece of technology.
Verified Purchase
There are a million choices in flat screens! Finding the right one was very daunting, but my friend had purchased this exact model and recommended it. I did my research on a number of sizes and models, but in the end, agreed that he had found the best deal on Amazon in this LG 37" flat screen. Delivery was prompt. The set is just big enough for a smallish living room - it's got a nice, large clear picture without dominating the room or overwhelming me. I'm very happy with this purchase.
on December 1, 2010
Verified Purchase
For the longest time now our downstairs living room contained a good quality Sony Trinitron 27", and my mom who mostly watched it felt there is no need for a new TV. I have had a 24" 1080p monitor for about a year now, and play PS3, watch hi def movies on it. Therefore I have known the brilliance of an HD screen, and I felt that the downstairs living room lacks this brilliance of detail, color, and contrast. Having told my mother that the time to buy and HDTV had come, for the longest time,I finally convinced her this holiday season that the time for a transition into the HD era had arrived. This TV was not on a particularly mind blowing sale when I had purchased it (with a $500 price tag), but I could not find a better realistic deal even on black friday. Our living room is not that big and I knew that the difference between a 37" and a 40" or a 42" set would be minuscule, but the price difference is significant. I was aware that 120z and LED TV's are common these days and they offer marginally better motion and contrast/vibrancy quality, but having tested this model, I can safely say that it is still a phenomenal Full-HD TV. While standard definition channels offer little improvement(I have yet to contact Verizon for an HD receiver), as soon as I plugged in my PS3 I was opened up to a new level of scale which I could have never imagined. LOTR: Return of the King on blu ray radiated with a brilliant picture, highlighting the awesomeness of 1080p in a way that was lacking on my 24" monitor. BBC's Planet Earth was even more impressive, as it transmitted every sparkling snow flake, and every single hair on an Animal in glorious full screen action. My PS3 games were equally impressive, with Uncharted 2 looking the best it ever has, and FIFA 2011 seeming like a flat-out real soccer game. My upstairs room is one of the biggest in the house, and I have had many blu ray screenings/FIFA sessions up there, but the space was always tight, and now that I have this LG TV I have the room downstairs to have many people over, and still be able to have full clarity and visibility of the HD image. The view angle is excellent in my opinion despite some reviews on here, and while I am used to better sound (having a massive 2.1 speaker setup in my room), I feel like this is nothing a good PC speaker system cannot fix. The sound is not terrible, but if you are used to really high volume, the bass tends to get shaky and distorted. I recommend buying a separate speaker setup for the true audiophiles out there. Aside from that, I cannot point out any minuses related to this model. The size versus price ratio is phenomenal, and the transition from an older TV to this 1080p gem leaves me speechless. I have yet to test the longevity of this model in the months and years to come, but based on my first impression, I have to say that this is one of the best options for people looking to enter the transition from a a standard definition screen, to a glorious, thin, vibrant LCD HDTV.
on September 4, 2010
Verified Purchase
I bought this set to replace my older LG 32" 720p LCD TV.

PROS

Good price
Excellent picture
Easy to adjust settings
Lightweight (careful putting it on a table/stand if you have curious kids or pets!)
Doesn't radiate alot of heat
Lots of inputs, USB, HDMI, RCA, Component, etc
Headphone Jack

CONS

Audio system/speakers are weak performers
No surround sound enhancement
TOSLINK optical digital audio output ONLY

It's really not a bad set if you have a TOSLink digital audio friendly receiver to boost the sound. If you don't, you might want to get one. I'm surprised - the sound on this set was a big step down from my earlier LG model! To get the sound near where I found it natural sounding (for film, videogame, and music) I had to set the bass around 90% and the treble around 10%. And then it still sounds thin.
The one nice audio feature is a speech booster which makes voices more audible, but at the expense of further squashing the other frequencies.

This is my only complaint with this set. The speaker system provided is - weak.

The picture is flawless, heavenly, easy to set up, and customize.
Very happy with the picture, price, and all other aspects.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2010
Verified Purchase
The image quality of this TV is great! I looked at many different models before choosing the LD450, and for the price it is perfect. The sound issues people complain about are non-existent. These are standard TV speakers. Nothing fancy , but also totally fine. Sounds pretty much like any other TV speaker. It turns on very quickly, has a great picture, and has an intuitive remote and menu system. I am very pleased with this purchase!
on September 7, 2010
I edited this review on 11/16/2012 to go from 5 stars down to 2 stars. This TV of mine died after 2 years of low usage. It started to sputter after changing channels many months ago and it got worse and worse until it sputtered most of the time. You could not enjoy watching any TV show when it sputtered this way. The picture would flicker about every 10 seconds. I ended up throwing it away rather than pay $200 to have it fixed. My neighbor gave me a lightly used Zenith 27" CRT TV that works very well for me. After my experience I don't plan to buy another LCD TV. There are a lot of cheap CRT TVs for sale on craigslist because of people buying LCD TVs and not wanting their big heavy TV any more. Well, the big heavy TVs are more reliable in my experience. I may have got a lemon, I don't know, but I'm not gong to shell out hundreds more to buy another one.

See 1 answered question