Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on December 13, 2010
I bought this TV recently from a national chain store on a semi-whim (I'd been wanting a new TV for a little while but wasn't sure if this was the time to buy). Surprised by how few reviews there were, I decided to write this one.

While shopping with my wife, we wandered over to the TV wall just to check out what was available, and I proceeded to wander up and down the wall looking at the TVs. Slowly I narrowed my pool by size (37"-42"), technology (LED LCD), resolution (1080p), and refresh rate (120Hz-240Hz). After all that, I shocking found myself staring at a Philips set (at a great price). The picture was clear, colors were vibrant (probably over-saturated for the sales floor but that's par for the course, I believe), and the bezel was clean and understated. Honestly, I couldn't believe it. I asked my wife which one she liked, and she picked the same one! We decided to purchase this TV and have loved it ever since I set it up.

The performance:price ratio on this TV is unbelievable. I'm the type of person who lives by the "get what you pay for" mantra, and, honestly, the price was the only thing that scared me about this TV. Is the deal too good to be true? Since we bought the TV without researching it first (another past time of mine), I hopped on teh almighty interwebz as soon as we got home. I could only find a couple negative comments, and I will elaborate on them here:

- The remote and TV IR sensor are a little picky. An angry customer commented that you have to point the remote directly at the TV for it to work. This is not entirely true. The sensor is placed in the bottom middle of the bezel while most TVs have them out to the sides these days. He probably had something sitting directly in front of the TV blocking the sensor. I had to move our center channel speaker to the side a little so the remote has a clear path to the senor. Seems to be an average remote experience to me - just something to be aware of.
- Video games lag with the 120Hz processing turned on. I only tried it with the setting at Minimum on my Xbox 360, but the video does noticeably lag (not a lot, but you can see it) at that setting. Solution: Turn it off. It's as simple as that.
- For the short time I had the 120Hz processing turned on, I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not. It seems really cool, but my wife did not like it at all. There seems to be a little judder (like they skip, I guess that's the term) in fast moving objects with the setting on Minimum. We just turned it off and have left it that way. Honestly, after reading about the technology more, I'm not sure the programming for this feature is there yet. I'm a little bit of a purist so I'll just leave the video the way it is recorded and broadcast.
- I've read some complaints about the sound. Well, what do you expect when the speakers are mounted on the back of the TV? I haven't auditioned the built-in sound setup since I have everything running through my home theater system, but I can't imagine the sound would be very good reverberating off of the wall behind it or the entertainment center surrounding it.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this TV (especially since I was able to get it for roughly half of the competitors' price!). Philips may be able to offer this TV at a lower price because they don't do as much sponsoring, advertising, or PR as other brands like Samsung, LG, and Panasonic. This TV sat next to Samsung on the wall, and it outshined the Samsung. The menu experience is very sleek and quick. Not sure if this menu is proprietary to Philips or not, but it's certainly not one of the generic specials I see on all the store/off-brand TVs. The TV menu even has an option to add devices to it by linking a description+icon (video game, DVD, Cable/Satellite, etc.) to an input. My wife LOVES this feature even though we won't use it (AV receiver does all the switching). I even used a USB key to update the firmware on the TV. It was easy and executed flawlessly. Blu ray looks great on this TV, as well. The colors and details really pop. I'm hoping this TV will last my wife and I quite a while :)

UPDATE (12/01/11): I've been meaning to update this review with one thing that I've noticed since we bought the TV. We still love it and the picture is great, but for some of the pickier people out there the TV does have backlight glow at the left and right edges (especially the top right corner). You can only really see it when a completely black screen is displayed (or I suppose a very dark scene, but I've never noticed it otherwise). From what I understand about edge lit LED technology this seems normal, but other brands may do a better job of minimizing it.
1111 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2011
Simple review for TV Programing, Video Games and Bluray

Ok, 1st things 1st. Update the TV!

Meaning just get any USB device and drag over the firmware update from the Phillps website and this TV works like a dream. Its very simple so don't let that scare you into not buying this tv. All new tv's have firmware updates now. Its very common.

I can't speak for the tv before the update because I did it right away.

Anyway, on to the review! ^_^

1st TV Programing

I have Direct TV I gotta say movies and shows simply look amazing. The picture is crisp and pops out at you. The newer the tv show your watching the better it will look. HD programing is a must of course. No Lag or jiddering or whatever other reviews say.

Now for Video games. I have a Ps3 and have played it a fair amount already and There's no lag at 1080p 120hz at all. And thats set at maximum I don't know how some reviews say there's a lag maybe thats before the update. But video games look impressive, and again the picture just seems to pop out at you. I play alot of sports and fighting games which of course has alot of action and fast movements and I'm seeing things I never saw before on my old CRT HDTV. There's just so much detail now that the creator's of the games put into it that I can now see, when before you simply didn't pick it up just looking at it.

Now for maybe what alot of you are buying a 120hz tv for.. The Bluray Movies.

I gotta say the picture looks.breathtaking My Dad who's a old timer when it comes to electronics who's been saying a tv is a tv...even said... Wow this was worth it when he saw the Dark Knight IMAX parts on Bluray. It simply looks like there right in the room with you. Like your right in back of them or on the side of them.. or your in the room when there's a explosion.

Also the Speakers Some reviews say there low.. Honestly I don't even have it close to middle on the volume setting and the sound is like everywhere. You get the surround sound and HD sound all in one.

Ive been looking at getting a new HDTV for 6 months, looking at samsungs, Sony's,LG and so on, and this TV simply was the best deal for 120hz.

I bought this tv when it was on sale for $599 and Paid $547 with tax included . At the Target store(15 percent off) (Target Card) and 10 percent off purchase coupon.

So once they put this tv on sale again or if the current price (629 in store) jump on it. Its a perfect tv for those making the jump to LCD-LED technology. The 120hz makes a huge difference so stick with brand that you already know, they haven't been around a long time for nothin ^_^.

Sorry if this is a nothing but positive review for the tv but I'm just calling it like I see it. This tv is the best led your going to get on the market at this size with 120hz. Trust me I looked all over the place :)
on April 24, 2011
We wanted a second TV for a newly finished basement, and we didn't want to pay too much so the $600-ish price was appealing. The TV is easy to set up. I did load the firmware update on a thumbdrive and updated the TV at start-up. That was easy.

Some other reviews have commented on the sound. We're OK with it. Others have said that the remote is a bit sensitive, and we generally concur with that, but it's no big deal. I find the remote overall and the TV in general quite easy to use and configure.

Those things are nice, but TVs like this are really about the picture. I read the glowing reviews of this TV's picture and was excited to see it. Overall, I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed. Our other TV is a Samsung 40" C630 and I think it definitely has a superior picture to the Philips. I have tried all the different picture mode settings and tinkered with the individual items (brightness, contrast, color) but I just can't get it close to the Samsung. In particular, thin-lined objects such as golf clubs or the edges of a white shirt against a colored background show clear jaggies and aliasing. I also can't get grass to look just the right shade of green. In general, the Samsung's picture just looks crisper and better defined. The Philips picture is by no means bad, but I can notice the difference.
on May 11, 2011
I've never written a review here and this deserves to be my first. This Philips LED TV is the best buy at this price of all the LCD TVs with LED backlighting that I've seen.

I was put off at first on the price and then by the idea that I could get an LED TV for that price so I bought it on a whim and haven't been happier. I should note that in my day job I manage AV for a University so dealing with Plasmas, LCD TVs and projection is a daily task.

Setup:
This is by far one of the simplest setup systems that I've been through. Choose your preferred image from the two that's split on the screen. The software will do this with you about 6 times. That's it. You're done. From novice to expert I call that easy. Of course for the experts out there after this first time setup you can tweak a plethora of individual options for display and sound.

Connectivity:
Enough here for my PS3, laptop, cable, etc. The major plus I felt with this TV for me was the fact that it was quite thin and light, but was thick enough that Philips placed the connectors on the back panel of the unit. I have a Samsung 3D TV in work that's so thin it requires dongles to connect VGA/DVI and other connections. One dongle is lost already by an OJT. I worked with a Pioneer that was so thin it was only logical for it to have a cumbersome breakout (I/O) box). This is thin. Fortunately not thin for form and looks at the cost of function.

Sound:
For an on TV speaker I'm pleased. Most will use this with an external sound system so I won't spend a lot of time here. Its loud but not noisy. The sound from the built-in speaker is ok.

Image:
Wow. For $600? Just wow. Bright, clear, good representation of darks and blacks. I've had no PS3 issues either, although the trick it to set it for PC not HDTV in the preferences and you can also turn off Digital Natural
Motion and Noise Reduction if you experience any lag. To be honest, I didn't, but preferred the picture with those settings. I can just continue to rave about how good it looks with 1080p content so if I must find a flaw its that the non-HD channels at 480i are scaled up and I find them to be a little dark. That's by best attempt to dump on this screen.

Overall I'm really pleased at the bang for my buck. Unless I'm getting a ton of 3D content soon (which I'm not) I'm grateful that the 3D thrust has pushed HD prices so far down. This Philips is a win. The only issue will be how long it'll last... and that I can't review at this moment.
on February 11, 2011
1. Picture
This was the only LED 40" in this price range I could find that had a 120 Hz refresh rate. You have to see it personally what a difference it makes. All of the motion is totally fluid, and really it feels like I am seeing HD for the first time, even though I had been watching HD (on 60 Hz) for one years. It strangely feels almost 3D and Pictures seems popping out.Philips has this cool thing where when you first turn it on, you adjust the picture by choosing between a series of images , and it adjusts the picture for you, and i have to say, i couldn't have set it up better myself. It is so crisp and clear, some shows look almost too real. LED is a huge upgrade, definitely worth it.

2. Sound
With SRS TruSurround HD, the HDTV immerses you in a rich sound experience, giving surround sound quality with deep bass, high frequency detail, and crisp, clear vocals. I haven't gone to max volume, but for me the Volume level is sufficient. Also we do have the option to use external speakers. I have gone through all the leading brands and this TV is having one of the best sound in comparison to Samsung or Sony or local brands like Visio / Insignia.

3. Other stuff:
This tv is, yes, black with a black border like every other but it looks really slick and contoured with a clear poly border that really adds to the streamlined look and its like half as thick and half the weight of my old LCD TV.

4.cool feature:
A side usb port, if you stick a usb drive in you can look at your own photos, videos and listen to music.
Also DO remember to upgrade the firmware of this TV. The latest firmware is PHL_0CA_323_0, which is available for free at Philips website [...]
on March 3, 2011
I'm am extremely impressed with this TV. In the store, I was debating between it and the Vizio Razor 42" LED edgelit and this one. This one just looked better in the store, and $50 cheaper, so I got it. Turning it on, it walks you right through "Does the picture on the left look better or the one on the right" and as you select, it is calibrating all the levels, and saves it as your personal settings. The modes are great, for instance I tried to play Halo Reach on Xbox 360 using the personal setting I had just set up, and it super lagged. I hit mode, scrolled to 'Game', and I can't tell the difference in pic quality but the lag disappears.

The black color when the screen displays white text on completely black background, as in Adult Swim bumps, is almost indistinguishably as black as when the TV is turned off (this could be due to my settings: it's possible i miss some detail in, for instance, the creases in people's dark suits, but I like it better this way) My previous tiny LCD/LED TV was bright even when brightness was turned down to 0 due to whatever technical reason you want to call it (poor dynamic contrast ratio, etc.). There is no ghosting around the edges of light objects on the dark background at all, or pictures that "burn in" after a frame (I forget the term).

I got scared only once when I thought the TV died. Long story short the 1/4" auido-style jack plug next to the VGA computer screen input is NOT the place to plug in the audio from your computer. Its on the side with the other inputs. That is a "service only" spot and when you plug in there, your screen will turn off and it tries to turn back on endlessly and fails. I read the giant sticker on the back of the TV where it shows what inputs are what and learned this. Silly design but whatever, still an awesome TV.

Sound is great and the remote is too. On my 24" tv sound maxed out at 50% and there was no difference going higher. This has deep bass and good treble and gets as loud as I need. It is on a stand and not mounted to a wall if that makes a difference. Stand swivels; I know some people don't like tvs that don't swivel.

If you're upgrading from a 24" or below like me, these big TVs are hard to get used to they're so good. Sorry for the wordiness no time to edit much.

[EDIT] Just read other reviews about the firmware update; mine came with 309, so it's installing 323 now. If anything bad happens, I'll edit again. If it's good or better, you'll know because there won't be anything below this. Perhaps, as in one post, I'll be able to play Xbox in my normal mode with no lag; but because I don't see a picture problem in Game mode already, I'm happy either way.
on January 13, 2011
We've had this TV for a month now. We are most impressed with it. One of the reasons we selected this TV was that it was LED. This makes this TV very thin and light. We went from a 22" tube to the 40" LED and couldn't be happier. The menu is very easy and the remote is intuitive. There are more than enough inputs (4 HDMA, 2 component, a PC, and a USB) that I have been able to hook-up all of our devices with no problem, although I did have to buy a Blue-ray player. Some people have complained about the speakers being on the back. This hasn't been a problem for us, but we aren't really the audiophiles that some people are. The colors are great. The blacks are so dark that I have to adjust the contrast sometimes to see all the picture. Some have complained about the "Soap Opera" apperance of the picture. You get used to it and it kind of gives many shows a 3D appearance even though this isn't a 3D set. All-in-all we couldn't get happier with this TV.
on April 23, 2011
I was hesitant to purchase this TV as there were only 5 reviews at the time (all positive), and I had not owned Philips products before. However, the specs revealed that this TV has a lot for the price, the few reviews were positive, and I was completely exhausted from my 3-week TV shopping/investigation. After visiting Philips' website, it was obvious that they SUPPORT their products - important to me. I questioned whether or not I would be able to tell the difference between this and other pictures I've seen displayed on other TV's. 'Crystal clear' and 'brilliant' best describe watching HD movies on this TV. I'm not sure how or if the picture quality could possibly be better. Very happy with this purchase. Setup was a breeze.
on February 16, 2011
All in all, I paid $564 for this television. I must say this may be the best buy I have ever made.

Installation was a breeze. Plug it in, go through the prompts, and you're done.

The sound, is surprisingly good. I've seen some negative review on the sound of this tv. So I've been looking for a good soundbar or home theater to install after the tv was in. This is now absolutely not needed. The sound on this tv is excellent for having two speakers.

The picture, is almost too good. My daughter and I went to buy a blu-ray to put in my ps3 to test out the tv. We got scooby-doo and I kept checking the box to see if we accidentally got the 3-d version. Then I checked the tv settings and box to see if there was a 3-d setting. I swear it looked 3-d. Mind you I'm coming from a 19inch crt. I'm not in any way saying it is 3-d, just emphasizing the realism of the picture. The picture is nothing short of phenomenal.

I did hours upon hours of research and looking at dept. store samples before finally pulling the trigger on this one. I must say I feel like I got it for half the price of what it's worth. I can't say enough. By the way I purchased it new on ebay which was a seamless process. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone might have regarding this tv or any other.
on March 31, 2011
I was shopping for my first HDTV for a few months, looking at 8 different sites for best product and price. I ended up buying this one after reading the other reviews here for $599 with shipping. Let me say that I was hesitant to say the least, this seemed like it was too good to be true. There is no way you can buy an HD LED TV over 32" for under $600, can you? But I've never been so happy to be so wrong.

Set-up was easy. Really easy. Just pop in a few screws and the stand is done (which is a very sturdy, METAL stand). Not very heavy for a TV this size and super slim (not even two inches) so set-up is a breeze. I route everything through my receiver so cable wise the task was light. One HDMI cable (purchased seperately), one Composite Video cable (also seperate) and a power cord, that's it (I have yet to purchase a digital audio cable) . Next was updating the firmware on the TV, also easy. Go to the Philips website, find the page for this model and download the update to a USB card. Pop that into the USB port on the back of the TV, a couple of prompts and ten minutes later and you're set. Then the TV wandered through the "which picture do you like better" seetings. I kept expecting there to be something more but that was it. All of about half-an-hour of my time and painless.

Colors colors and more colors. There are so many options with this TV. At first using my personal settings, the 4th wall felt removed. Almost as if you were right there behind the characters. My brother mentioned that it looked soap-operaish. It kind of did. But using the handy-dandy "Mode" button on the remote (which is also very minimalistic and easy to use, no more getting lost trying to find a button) you can change the color settings to things like Sports, Game, Movie, etc...the Movie setting looks exactly like the colors in a movie theatre. You can make this as bright or as dark as you want. I have nothing but rave things to say about the colors on this. The blacks are almost indistinguishable from the black screen when it is turned off, and the sun in "Sunshine" almost hurt to look at. Perfect.

While I have noticed some ghosting in some very fast action sequences (also depends on your color mode), it is nothing to really complain about, just a little here and there. I've owned this set for about three weeks, watch it every day and have noticed it maybe 5 or six times, no big deal. No other image issues to report.

I used this for about 8 hours straight when I first got it and it got a little warm behind the TV but not hot at all. LED's at work.

Other reviews that say that the sound is lacking on this set. I use my 5.1 external system most of the time but I have used the built-in speakers while watching some things from my external hard drive (thank you Philips for including DIVX codecs on this TV!!!!) and to tell you the truth, they just sound like normal TV speakers. Not great but certainly not horrible. My set is also in front of a flat wall so the rear-facing sound just bounces right back to me. I could see where this could be an issue if the set is in a corner and you don't have an external sound system.

There is not an internet connection built into this TV, but my Blu-ray player has that so no problem for me. If you absolutely must have internet on this TV and have no other options, go for the 7705 model.

All I have a great things to say about this TV and with good reason. If you want an easy to use, high quality LED big screen, this is the one. The price was $559 without shipping, $599 with. All in all, this was one of the best deals, not just on electronics, but best deals I have ever purchased, period. Philips really knocked it out of the park with this one.