Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on May 21, 2010
I made a rig to mount a Flip SlideHD, a Flip UltraHD, and a Flip MinoHD (2nd gen) on the same tripod, and display the video synchronized, side by side.

This review demonstrates the new features of the SlideHD, and gets down to the nuts and bolts of specs, video, and price comparisons that might cause you to choose one over the other.

The Slide adds a number of features that make viewing video on the camera itself easier and more pleasurable.
5252 comments|978 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2010
I have been a Flip camera user since they released the first gen. Flip Mino HD (not the new metallic model). I loved the camera. For what I needed it for it was everything I wanted. However like ever product not everyone is going to love it one hundred percent. I did find a few faults with the my Mino HD.

#1 - I thought the camera was a little to small and felt very flimsy in my hand. My hand shaking seemed to be amplified by the very small flimsy feeling camera in my hand.

#2 - The touch sensitive controls were not that sensitive and pressing the controls caused the camera to shake and jerk.

But for the most part loved the sound and thought the picture was great.

Soon the Flip Ultra HD came out and I had to have it. Selling points on this camera were more storage space, no touch sensitive controls, and it was bigger and felt much more durable in the hand. But just like the Mino I did have some complaints.

#1 - The rechargable batteries sucked and when I tried to recharge them my camera kept getting hot, causing it to shut down or stop charging.

#2 - The microphone on the camera I thought was not as good as the Mino. Me being a band director I find that at times it distorts when filming my drumlines and band playing, but it was only on initial loud hits and pops.

Other than that I loved this camera and I use this one most of the time. This one has a wider shot then the Mino. It doesn't have touch sensitive controls making zooming much smoother. The camera is much larger and when my hand shakes the camera (video) tends not to.

Recently Cisco came out with the Flip Slide HD and once again I had to have it. I bought it the day it came out and took it to WGI World Percussion Championships in Dayton Ohio for some testing.

At first I was a little skeptical about the touch screen since I was not a fan of the Mino HD's touch sensitive controls. I was not to worried about the size since I think the bigger the size the more control you have and the less shaky your footage will be.

I think this shoots the best footage of all Flip Cameras. It is crystal clear. I was real surprised by the touch screen. It is not as sensitive as I thought it was going to be. Actually it is like if I was using my Flip Ultra HD. I love the feel in the hand. I am not real picky about the Slide out screen. I think that it is a great idea/feature and used it a few times this past weekend. The slide bar is a little confusing at first but you do get the hang of it. Its really not that big of a deal, but some people find this frustrating and give the camera a poor rating. I don't understand that. I love that they put a headphone jack on the camera. In the past two models I felt that the video got very pixelated when the camera was zoomed. I don't see that as much with the Flip Slide Hd. The video stays pretty clear when zooming.

I have only one issue with the camera. The Flip Slide HD has an omnidirectional microphone which is great (I am pretty sure the others use a unidirectional microphone), but it is really sensitive. Being close to my drumline at World Championships caused the camera to distort big time (inaudible at times). When I moved back away from them it got better (moved back like 15 - 20 yards). I am hoping that this will get fixed maybe in a firmware update or something like this.

I do have to say that I am a little upset with Cisco. I thought the new Flip camera would at least have image stabilization and the so much talked about WiFi capabilities, but no such luck. This however will not turn me away from my beloved Flip Cameras.

I have used a number of other HD Cameras such as the Kodak Zi8, and I prefer the Flip.

In my opinion
Flip Mino HD - Best Microphone
Flip Ultra HD - Widest Angle for shooting, feels the best in the hand
Flip Slide HD - Best Video Quality

Thanks
Nick

****UPDATE**** (June 7th, 2010)

I have finally gotten around to uploading some video to youtube that showcases the Flip SlideHD and the Flip Mino HD. (click the youtube video link at the bottom of this update) You will be able to see and hear the difference in quality. The first four clips of the video were shot with the Flip Slide HD. You can see that the microphone is very active and I am standing about 10 to 15 feet away when I am video taping. The 5th, 6th, and 7th clips in the video are shot using the Flip Mino HD. I switch because it started raining and the Mino is my older camera so I really didnt care to much about getting it wet. The very last clip of the video is with the Flip slide HD. It stopped raining so I got out the new one to do more tests, since I only had the camera for about 2 days. The video was made in Final Cut Studio so there has been some compression to the video.

Hope this video helps a little.

Nick

[...]
1414 comments|300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2010
This is my first video camera of any kind, and I am totally in love. I'm a bit technologically challenged, and so was pleasantly surprised to discover that the "set up" of this camera was easier than setting the time on my sports watch, and consisted only of scrolling through the date and time. Within thirty seconds of turning on the camera, I was ready to begin shooting my first movie clip. Unlike the digital point-and-shoot cameras I have owned, the menu and functions on this camera are completely intuitive. In no time at all, I had figured out how to start, stop, delete, replay, and scroll through my first few movie clips. I also needed no direction to view and maneuver the clips in wide-screen playback mode, and could therefore offer instant gratification to my children, who eagerly awaited the opportunity to see and hear themselves on film. Transferring the files to my computer was equally self-explanatory: within a minute or two of plugging the camera into a USB port, the software was installed, and I had named, saved, and emailed myself my favorite of the movie clips I'd just created. The image quality was excellent, even on the full screen of my computer display.

If I had to identify any drawbacks to this camera, I would say that the somewhat limited zoom range makes close-up shots of moving images (like my children) a bit challenging at first, and that you need a somewhat steady hand to avoid creating bumpy images. However, after only a few practice runs, I found that I was able to minimize these issues to my satisfaction. Overall, the ease of use, crisp images, and user-friendliness of this camera make it an absolute asset for any number of different contexts. I couldn't be more pleased.
0Comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2010
I bought this camera and have been using it for several days. To answer one comment quickly, it does have a zoom. However the touch screen interface leads much to be desired. I have to repeatedly touch the screen hard to get a response, and often it is not what I wanted. To get on screen controls for volume etc you are supposed to "hold" the screen, but to return to thumbnails, you just "touch" it. Unfortunately, it repeatedly goes to thumbnails when you don't want it to. The interface is not very intuitive and unlike most other digital cameras, you do have to read the instructions.

It has both a touch sensitive slider as well as the on screen interface, and they duplicate several functions. I'm not sure why it was designed this way.

Deleting a video is a little kludgey in that you have to push several on screen buttons in a very non-intuitive way. Because the touch screen is so difficult to use, I rate this barely acceptable.

The Flip software on the Mac is a little difficult to use. Importing movies from the Flip to the software is easy, but getting it into iTunes is ridiculously difficult and requires a work around.

The quality of the video is good, the sound is poor.

I am sorry I purchased the camera, and will be returning it. I think it needs much more work to make it a good or excellent camera.
22 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2010
First of all, I love the verb branding - Flip, Slide - which verb will they think of next?

This camera allows you to showcase your videos in an easy way. Its touch screen is neat, and you can toggle through videos by just sliding your finger. This model has touch screen buttons - play/record/zoom - and you're sure to be envied by your friends who still have to "push buttons."

The wow factor: the screen slides and pops up. It's fun and impressive, but not gimmicky. And it can hold up to FOUR HOURS of video - amazing.

Flip camera has mastered appealing to an excellent range of customers. The Flip can be used by kids, by grandparents or by business professionals. And the SlideHD perpetuates this even further. I would feel comfortable showing videos with the SlideHD to clients during a lunch in a cafe or during a meeting in a more professional setting - virtually anywhere. I'm looking forward to possibly a chrome version.

For my personal use, I still prefer the 2nd gen MinoHD, which is the BEST camera in its class. It's one that I would highly recommend to anyone: [...] No frills, but high quality images and sound.
on May 12, 2010
After the 2nd Gen MinoHD knocked my socks off, I could not wait to get my hands on the new SlideHD. The SlideHD takes a risk by relying on a 3" touchscreen to be a viewfinder, control surface, and playback monitor -- MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Just like its predecessors, I can hand the SlideHD to anyone of any age and they grok how to use it within seconds. Simply turn it on, point it at what you want to record, and press the big red button.

The 3" screen really encourages participation. Everyone wants to see how the look on video -- now I just flip the screen up and show them. It's fun to have a whole group gather around the camera to laugh at themselves. Too bad it also encourages amateur editors :(

The multi-use screen really hints at Cisco's plans for Flip. With the SlideHD they can put a hot product in the hands of millions of consumers that can easily integrate connectivity and social features. Bring it on!

PROS:
*3" screen is big and clear
*Pressing buttons on the screen requires a little pressure (no accidental activation)
*Great HD video in normal to bright light
*Acceptable video in low light (a first for Flip)
*Usable stereo speakers on both sides of the screen
*Headphone jack that shuts off the speakers
*Flush lens housing keeps phone from rocking while plugged into a USB slot
*One thumb video shooting
*Easy uploads and edits - no format worries and YouTube friendly
*HDMI output directly to HD panels
*The camera body and screen resist fingerprints
*Storage pouch doubles as lens cleaner
*Wrist strap easy to attach
*Why did they cover the beautiful packaging with an ugly sleeve?

CONS:
*Sound easily overwhelmed by loud background noise or sudden loud events
*No image stabilization (Kodak is kicking butt with this)
*The slide mechanism is loose compared with HTC sliding screens (e.g. Android Phone)
*Firmware issues regarding control latency and system creashes
on April 23, 2010
I've tried a few Flips in the past and I enjoyed them - they have been fun, basic, and capable. I was really impressed with this new Slide: the interface is great, the zoom and expanded memory are breakthroughs. I was concerned that the new functionality might be confusing but Flip has kept the clean simplicity even as they have added functionality.

It feels solid in the hand, has a huge screen, easy-to-use controls, tons of memory, is very stylish and, let's not forget...it's a very capable camcorder.

The Flip SlideHD Camcorder is a robust device, but as simple and fun to use as the rest of their products. Another great camcorder from Flip!
on April 16, 2010
You can think of this camera as the "Flip Phone" version of a Flip Camera. That is to say, it's better than a regular flip in almost every way. It has the same interface you know and love displayed on a huge LCD, and then flips open for full-screen playback. The full-screen playback has some cool features like the ability to seek to anywhere in your clip with just a single touch of the screen. I have never seen a camera with this feature and it's amazing. I guess it wouldn't really work on a camera without a touchscreen, and it works perfectly here.

Overall it's a great camera and an obvious evolution from the Flip of old. Congrats Flip, you've done it again.
on November 2, 2010
good picture, good sound
down side is that the battery lasts almost 2hours, BUT the camera will only record in 1hour chunks or about a 4 gig file. if you are not watching the camera, you wont see it stop to know you need to push the record again. you will have a gap between recordings. I thought the camera would record untill the battery died. NOT SO!!!!!So if you are recording something important and it goes more then 1 hour you might want to use another camera
on April 29, 2010
Is the sound quality. While conducting interviews of our volunteers, I had no need for a microphone. Voices come through loud and clear! Flip makes video-taping easy again..thank goodness!