Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 14, 2010
HTC Incredible

One of the better Verizon Android phone available (if you can get your hand on one of em). Screen is nice and bright (AMOLED), software is fast and responsive, thanks to 1GHZ processor and 748MB of ROM. Eight megapixel camera and dual LED flash is nice, but the quality of pictures were not impressive. 8GB of storage is decent. Battery life could've been better. The exposed camera lense in the rear is a major design flaw, it will be a scratch magnet. For mobile data hogs, Verizon offers unlimited data plan, which makes this phone a better buy when compared to smartphones (iPhone) on AT&T's 2GB data limit.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2010
After using it for hours, I was dumbfounded when my new HTC Incredible 3G Computer rang (oh yah, it's a phone too). Make sure you really want a high tech 3G touch screen phone. Two friends of mine only want a phone to make phone calls so I advised them not to buy it.

I love it but the battery is a major issue. They're at the limit of high power battery technology. So, to help save battery power, download the app ATKF to stop (kill) all the unnecessary apps from running. It only stops them from running, doesn't hurt anything. There are a lot of built in apps that can't be removed but can be killed (stopped).

Two extended batteries to consider buying are:

Seidio Innocell 1750 mA Battery (fits the same as the HTC OEM battery) for $41 on Amazon.
-I bought this one

Seidio Innocell 3500 mA Battery (thicker than the HTC OEM battery so it comes with a thicker back cover) for $53.94 on Amazon.

Please read the reviews before buying either battery.

Paid $201.38 total and shipping was free. Purchased on 07-06-2010 directly from Verizon.
on November 26, 2010
This is hands down my favorite cell phone I've ever owned. The layout and controls are intuitive, well designed, and easy to use. The digital camera and video recording are superb. The mp3 management and playback are on par with my ipod. The google maps GPS can't be beat. The phone allowed me to ditch my:

Ipod
Flip cam
Garmin GPS
Garmin 305 hand held gps
Digital camera

I had the motodroid for 4 days before returning it for this phone, I make the same recommendation to everyone I talk to. Bravo to HTC.
on May 31, 2010
as the name suggests, this phone is incredible. apps, internet, everything is fast fast fast. in fact, the only downside to this phone is in the software. the android keyboard needs a bit of work, but the big downer is the pre-installed bloatware that comes with the phone that you CANNOT UNINSTALL. this is rather shady because some of the apps try to ask for money and someone unfamiliar with all this might confuse it as some verizon related charge. VERY SHADY.
on March 8, 2011
I would choose this over an Iphone even if I got the Iphone free. I think it has more capabilities and is more useful.

The phone is very tough. I recommended it to my gf even though she was out of her contract and could get an iphone.

Seriously.. get a google voice number and you have a very useful communication device.

cons have been some weird problems that come and go with system updates. After a year it is a much better phone and if you get one now its very mature. I am not happy with the facebook integration it sucks the battery.

I have had a chance to use Motorola phones as well as part of my job and I would take and iphone before one of those.

If this phone was not available I would use an iphone. the fact that its so cheap makes it a no-brainer.
on February 11, 2011
I have to say this is one of the wisest choices I have ever made. My last phone was a prepaid Tracfone I had several years ago and it basically died then so I didn't have a phone. Then not have a phone was driving me nuts! Having an iPod touch with this app called Line2 was almost an alternative. Costing only $15 for unlimited talk and text, which was a steal. The only con was, I didn't have wifi at home and I had to go out for wifi at my local supermarket. I was aching my mother to get a phone by adding me to the plan and I would pay my portion. I looked at the Droid phones, admiring this one and the Droid X. I looked at the reviews and noticed there was sucky battery life for the Incredible mostly, but I saw I can get a better battery. I went down to Hhgregg with my parents and saw the Droid X for 200 (uh, no thank you, pass!) and the Incredible for 50. The choice was obviously clear. I could get most of the features of the X minus the HDMI and larger screen but also minus 150 bucks. I was planning on getting a phone by myself if it they weren't going to do it, but they ended up getting me one and they got one for themesleves as well. I've been ordering accessories like the extended battery (which I'm using right now) and the holster I'm waiting on. The only downside with the extended battery I got was there isn't a case for me to fit it on, unless I cut like a rubber one up or something to fit it. But I say it's worth it. I'll go into more details about the battery life, but first, the perks of this phone :)

First off, is the OS. I found it to be very intuitive and fairly customizable compared to my 4th gen iPod touch. I also love the fact that I can put widgets on there, making it my very own! I also love the Live Wallpapers and I can even put an animated gif as a background (if I can do it right). And yes, you can play animated gifs with this unlike the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad =) I could do it through my touch, but I had to use this app that I had to buy and download them onto my touch through iTunes and who wants that! :( But if you want them to repeat over and over again, you'll have to download an animated gif viewer, which is free ^^ Another thing is that if you're an iPhone user and want to switch to a phone like this, but want all of those apps, don't worry. Even if it's not as near as populated as the iPhone App Store, the Android Market is still an awesome place. Over 40% of the apps are free vs only 28% free apps on iPhone's Apps store. Plus, I got some apps that were on the iPhone app store on the Android one. Notably, apps like some of the EA games, Gamevil games, Gameloft games, and other apps like Pandora and Autodesk Sketchbook Mobile (yes, I draw on my phone. Deal with it >:)) are on the Android Market and most-likely more to come. Also has emulators that you can play with. Yay! ^^

Another perk is that you can actually have Flash Player 10.1 (I know, it's awesome!) with upgrade of Android 2.2 Froyo. Plus, you still have access to HTML5 so it's all good. Another advantage over the iPhone! Though you can't access Hulu, most of the flash is better than none =) Hulu is the only site that I've encountered where I can't use flash. And you can play flash games too, if it's not hard enough. One other awesome thing is that you can actually download files to this phone such as mp3 and actually listen to it! This thing is closer to a mobile computer than even the iPad is and I've wanted one forever! I can even upload photos and artwork to websites like DeviantArt ^^

One more perk before I get to the cons is the unlimited data package. This will come in handy because if you want unlimited texting or calling and I'll show you why. Thanks to the Line2 app that was on the App Store, I was able to make calls with it on my iPod touch. But it has crossed over to the Android Market and you know what that means. Think about it. Unlimited 3G data plus Line2 equals total epicness of unlimited possibilities! I can talk to people all over the U.S. and Canada as well as send text messages even if they aren't Verizon customers! The app adds a second line to the phone, but it's really convenient. You can even do a conference call which you can have multiple people on the line! Only downside is that picture/video messaging isn't supported yet. Also, you won't be able to assign a custom ringtone to calls and texts, but one can't be too picky as this can save you over 65 bucks with combined unlimited talk and text! Plus the app is free for download and you get a 30 day trial to see if you like it or not before signing up for it! Never worry about sending too many texts or wasting minutes ever again! =)

Another perk is the camera. This is close to the best camera on a phone as you can get, except for this Sony Ericson Phone, which I heard sucked. But it takes great pictures with the 8mp camera and it has great 720p video recording. It ALMOST replaces my camcorder. Not entirely since it does full 1080p HD recording and has a 10mp camera. It's more convenient to carry a camera phone around than have both, but for special occasions and projects, I would stick to my camcorder. I still love the options of the camera such as the ISO (or whatever it is), the exposure, and awesome looking filters =). I think the HTC Sense has something to do with that so I'm not sure about the similar features on the Droid X and the Droid 2 Global.

Alright, here's the part that we've been dreading, which are the downsides. One huge downside is the battery life. Before I got my extended battery, this thing wouldn't last even half it's charge when I was watching an hour's worth of youtube videos. If you're a heavy user, do what I did and get an extended battery. I got the 3500 mAH extended battery by Acase. It lasts signifigantly longer and I had a live wallpaper up, watched a flash video my girlfriend sent me, played Star Fox with an SNES emulator, checked my texts and facebook, and it was still above half of it's power and that was from 7 to 11:30 in the morning. That might sound bad, but think of it this way. A typical computer lasts about that time, maybe even less depending on what you're doing. I'm sure if you don't do much with it, only using it for checking texts and emails and make a few calls, and maybe watch a few youtube videos, this thing should get you through the day. But you have to charge it properly by letting it die all the way the first 3 to 4 times and leave it on the charge 2 to 3 hours after it's done charging. I'm thinking of getting this other battery to test it and give one of the batteries to my mom or dad. But I've on had this battery since yesterday so I'll update this review and let you guys know what happens. =) I got my extended battery for like $31, with shipping included. One other con is the virtual keyboard. It's an OK texter, but not always accurate as my iPod touch's virtual keyboard. But it does have auto-correction and you can use speech text to speak into the mic and it'll have the text on there. If you don't like virtual texting, go for the Droid 2. Another con, which isn't a big deal is rooting. In case you don't know what that is, it's like jailbreaking for the iPhone, but not really. Like jailbreaking, rooting voids your warranty on your Android device. It unlocks your phone and you can customize it however you please, but you have to know what you're doing or you'll screw up your phone. Thankfully, my problem was fixable and I could care less about rooting now. One last con is that you can't take snapshots of your screen like you can on the iDevices where you hold the lock button and press the home key. I don't know why they have to be rooted in order to do that, so I'll just take a picture of my phone. Maybe they'll come out with and update or app for that.

Now, despite it's cons, this is a great phone and I love my Incredible Droid =) It pretty much lives up to it's name and I can make it almost anyway I want and I can do almost anything with it! It's that Incredible! I hope this review was helpful to you newbies at smartphones as well as smartphone users in general. Like I said, I'll post an update on how the battery is in a few days. If you're like me, get this phone. You won't regret it. ;)

Update: I had the Acase and it sucked. It hardly had an improvement. I ordered the Seidio 3500 mAH and I'm using it right now. I'm loving it! You can read my reviews on these batteries on Amazon by searching for them =) It may have given thickness to my phone, but it's worth it. I can just cut the part of the area where the battery is out. I ordered a case and I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out.

I also have a couple of applications that I thought should make your Incredible, well, even more Incredible. You can customize the lock and theme to your phone without rooting! Complements of 91Pandahome and Lock Bot Pro. =) Also, I found that you can download apps that you can actually tether without the monthly free! I won't mention any since I don't want them taken down, but I don't have to go out for wifi anymore hardly! I can use the unlimited data plan on my phone and connect it to my laptop via USB! The internet isn't bad either for 3G. It buffers sometimes with videos when I have like 2 bars or less. But it's still a lot faster than dial-up (bad memories). I love this phone a lot and I continue to love what I can do with this thing and make new discoveries with it. =) I'm glad I got this phone and I don't regret it.

Update 2: I've had my Seidio extended battery and it makes the Incredible even more so Incredible. In case you're worried about a case not fitting, try going for a rubber one where you can cut through it easily so you can have the battery stick out. I got the Crazyondigital one in blue on Amazon for less than four bucks altogether. That'll save you a lot of money over Verizon's cases they have to offer for this phone. Also, I just recently decided to go ahead and root my phone. Totally worth it if you want to take screenshots and get free "wireless" tethering. Also, if you can do it just right, you can change the interface entirely or even install Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). I haven't done that yet, but when I figure it out, I'll tell you if its worth it or not. =) I really want to be able to use apps that don't support HTC sense. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but it can be a pain sometimes when it comes to compatibility. That's just my take on it. Still loving my phone and Android period ;) I hope you will too.
on May 22, 2010
I was a die-hard BlackBerry fanboy for a long time so suffice it to say, it was difficult for me to make the move to a non-BB device. But, since doing so, I have been so much happier. My biggest complaint about BB's was the speed. I've always been picky about having an actual keyboard and such but since getting the Incredible, I've not had one problem making the transition.

This phone smokes the competition. I can't comment for the iPhone but I do have the iPod Touch and this thing is much more friendly than the iPod and the browsing speed is much faster and reliable. I know there are going to be die-hard Apple folks out there who don't want to read anything about their beloved iPhone's getting some competition but it is here and in the form of the Incredible!

There aren't as many apps as there are through iTunes but most of the popular ones are available for this phone. I had AT&T and after they screwed me over one too many times I switched to VZW and haven't looked back. I can't say enough good things about this phone.

Cons: Battery life. That's it! However, I knew about the battery life before I bought it so I knew what I was getting into. For those out there who are going to bash this device for the battery life alone, well, do your research first. If you know about it ahead of time, you're better prepared for it when you notice you have to charge it with moderate to heavy use during the day. I recommend installing Advanced Task Killer if you buy this phone. It's free through the Droid Market.

Battery life aside, this is a great phone! Fast and full of features.
VINE VOICEon August 9, 2010
I really dig this phone. The widgets are cool and you can customize the phone the way you want. Be wary of the FaceBook widget as this does kill memory and battery life big time.

Cons:
1. Battery life sucks (I mean big time) A few minutes of play will take the battery down a bar. Seriously.
2. I live in a strange place between two mountains where in this rare instance ATT is better then Verizon. I had to buy a booster box to enhance the signal. (This is a con for me personally not everyone)
3. When I download a ringtone to a specific user, it is then hard to re-use for an alarm or another user. I haven't totally figured this out yet but it is far less intuitive then say the Palm Pre. You cannot set the ringtone from editing the user. It should let you browse to any ringtone, but it only brings up the ones that came with the phone.
4. No Swype? Not sure why not..I tried installing it, no success.
5. The weather widget in my area is rarely accurate. It always thinks I am in Beverly Hills when I am near Malibu.
6. Couldn't sync up my yahoo account.

Pros:
1. Fast phone
2. Once the interface is understood (takes some time), it is very powerful.
3. Predictive text. Which is one of the reasons I left the Palm Pre. Also, I hated the Palm's keyboard.
4. Good app catalog. Granted not as large as iPhone, but it is getting impressive.
5. Google sky is awesome. Imagine this in an Astronomy class!
6. once in a good zone, internet is quite fast.
on November 11, 2010
I have had no bad experiences with this phone with he exception of the one time the HTC sense forced closed on me but with a quick reboot the phone was back and working in no time :D this phone is great and I would buy it again in a heart beat!
on June 14, 2012
I purchased this phone two years ago (2010) as my first smartphone. I absolutely LOVED it. Here's a quick rundown:

Pros:
1. Small size, large screen. As a person with small hands, I have no desire to own a phone that could double as a tablet. I want to be able to reach all quadrants of the screen with one hand/thumb. This is about the size of an iPhone4 but with a larger screen that is comfortable to read and work with. Pocketable, fits in purse/bag pockets designed for phones.

2. Large quantity of apps from both Amazon or Google Play (formerly Android App Market).

3. Sturdy design. Let's just say this device took some serious physical abuse and until recently, it just kept ticking.

4. Expandable memory. Need more space? Jam an inexpensive SD card in the slot and you're good to go.

Cons:

1. Recently developed software issues, probably from some of the abuse it suffered on my account. It will not write/read the sd card, photos are previewing fine but will appear corrupted when enlarged. Photos were deleted, it stopped syncing with Google so much of my data was lost. (Cry)

2. Began needing to LOAD the homepages. Started forceclosing EVERYTHING, including 'backbone' programs like Gmail.

3. With regards to app security: if this is your first time owning an android device, you must be aware the security of the app market and amazon are not as good as Apple's. Although it is a self-regulating market (unsound apps are generally removed or will not sell well thanks to dedicated reviewers), you should still be vigilant about your own security. Free apps more than not will ask for permissions the app doesn't necessarily need to run on i.e. full internet access (unless it says it can link to Facebook or something), and 'open network sockets'. You don't want your network sockets open. This usually means the app is obtaining anonymous (not sensitive) information from you for statistical/development purposes. Just be careful.

A NOTE ON MEMORY ISSUES:

I have read several of the reviews here regarding the 'low memory' warning you get. This is a SOFTWARE issue that is easily remedied which concerns the FACEBOOK app. You must CLEAR the CACHE on occasion and then you will stop getting the warning. To do this, go to MENU>SETTINGS>APPLICATIONS>MANAGE APPS>FACEBOOK>CLEAR CACHE. As previously mentioned, I have had this phone for two years, and now due to the software issues I've been having, it's time to move onto a different phone. I have since purchased the HTC Rhyme, as it is also a small phone and doesn't have the bells and whistles of the larger, faster phones but it's what I need. I will be doing a separate review on that phone as I work with it.