Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

on December 1, 2010
This little bad boy of a DVD player comes packed with features. There are 2 major reasons you should get this player

1. The up-scaling on this player is very good. I have some DVD of older shows (like Babylon 5 and the original Star Trek, not remastered) and they never looked better! The image quality on the player is very good. While not 'top notch' like those $1000 up-scaling players, you are getting INCREDIBLE bang for the buck when it comes to the quality of your DVD image

2. Region Free. When you first get the player it will be locked to Region 1. There is a code/hack to unlock the player that can be found on the web (and even in the review section here if you look hard enough).

- Some say this player is slow to load but I actually find it very fast. Could of just been my old DVD player was just slow but I personally find this player loads fairly quickly.
- For "up-scaling" you need to use the HDMI port (no HDMI cable included) . I recommend leaving the HDMI settings on AUTO and enable the HDMI Color Enhancer.
**By leaving it on AUTO it lets your TV decide the resolution which means maximum compatibility (the DVD player up-scales the TV decides the resolution to upscale to)
**The Color enhancer by default is left to off, at least it was on mine. Basically if left OFF it will use 8-bit color (256 shades of each color). If turned on it will use 24-bit color (over 8 million total shades) it will make a noticeable difference especially on subtle colors

- The Menus for the player are simple and easy to navigate. In fact I'd say they are almost generic as if you bought a $5 DVD player. Philips clearly kept costs down by sacrificing on the bells and whistles but focused on what counts.
*There is no clock on the player (at least I couldn't find one)
*Menu is ultra generic almost Commodore 64 computer graphic look (but it is smooth and works as intended)
*remote is ultra basic but the buttons are generous in size, well spaced and easy to use

In summary this player gives you exactly what you are buying it for. Up-scaling DVD's and multimedia use. I've tested the DiVX and various media out on the player and it works exactly as intended/advertised. There is even a USB button on the remote so you can access the USB drive via remote control instead of going into menus. A great player with a great price and is ultra light weight.

** Up-scaling. Basically this DVD player is going to take your 720x480 DVD and convert it into a 1920x1080 image via HDMI. What separates a cheap player from a quality player is the Image Quality. When you "upscale" an image you essentially are matching the image pixel for pixel where as a regular DVD player will "stretch" the image to 1920x1080.

- By doing this you will get better color quality, image quality and it gives the movie/show a much smoother look to it

***** EDIT *****
I noticed a few people mention that this player turns itself off after 10-15mins if you aren't doing anything (like you stay on pause, or just turn it on and let it sit) You can actually turn this feature off. You can find the feature in "General Setup" ---> Auto Standby Just set it to OFF and the player will no longer turn itself off
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2010
I just received this DVD player tonight after struggling with a crappy Panasonic S-58 I purchased locally based on a few enthusiastic, albeit ill-conceived, reviews I came across on Amazon and elsewhere. I can't tell you how happy I am with this unit and the myriad ways in which it excels both my previous Phillips 3962 (rendered it useless due to a sticky rental from Netflix)and the previously mentioned Panasonic model (of sorry memory), but I'll make a feeble attempt by way of this brief review nonetheless:

Image quality: The Phillips wins hands down here, offering what appears to my eyes at least to provide a level of picture quality (out of the box with ZERO adjustments) comparable to high-end units commanding upwards of three times the price. The Panasonic, in contradistinction, offered a level of image quality that I judged to be,at best, mediocre, or what a more discerning home theater electronics fancier would refer to as "terrible". It would indeed be no exaggeration to describe the difference as dramatic and eye-catching. The upscaling to 1080i of my Samsung LCD is simply phenomenal. I can't even imagine how good the image would be with 1080P compatible TV models.

Features: This DVD player has every feature you need and even some features you don't need. For those of you with DIVx-laden flash drives, fear not, as this unit provides front connecting USB facilities that effortlessly transport the tech- savvy votary of cutting-edge home theater to DIVx heaven with the the simple plugging of a cord.

Price: Cheap and good. This is true of so few things in life. For all those currently vacillating between "cheap dvd players", I would advise you to not look a gift-horse in the mouth when considering this unit. Don't even think twice before hitting the purchase button and certainly don't wast your time and tire your poor eyes "researching" any longer. This is, unequivocally, the HOLY GRAIL of cheap DVD players. So save yourself some time and money and just hit the purchase button.

Accessories: For all those here endlessly kvetching about the "flimsy" remote, I beg to differ. The remote is actually very elegant and well constructed for a player in this price class. You want to see a cheap remote? Buy the Panasonic S-58 and be prepared to cringe as the dollar-store quality Chinese toy-like polyethylene plastic tenses and creaks helplessly under the pressure of your child's feeble grip. In any event, this complaint amounts to nothing more than the most minor of quibbles considering the superlative features and quality of the player itself. For my part, however, I stand by my judgement that the remote is just dandy.

In closing, I would like to thank Phillips for manufacturing this superb product and for providing it to the public at such a modest cost. In doing so, they are affording the non-enthusiast public a viewing experience whose value far outstrips the mere pittance for which it is exchanged, and which will only serve to further consolidate Phillips unshakable position as the leader in home entertainment electronics for years to come.

And, as always, is peerless in their prompt, worry-free delivery of new products.

Both, therefore, win my unqualified and unreserved endorsement. FIVE STARS!

UPDATE 11/2/11: Still working great! DivX files burned onto standard CD-R(!) discs look stunning!

SECOND UPDATE: Everything continues to work wonderfully as of 8/5/12! I have no clue what a few of the most recent reviewers are talking about in criticizing this unit's longevity. Perhaps theirs had been unwittingly abused at some point or the product of a bad production run at the factory. I suppose we'll never know. But I can tell you for certain that, nearly two years on, I can't help but be astounded at the performance and versatility of this fine little player. On a good TV at moderate viewing distances, I have found that the image quality nearly rivals Blue-ray. It's that good. Take my advice and buy one while they're still available.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2011
After noticing that some are selling region-free at inflated prices, here's a handy "do it yourself" guide to making yours region free. EASY: Just follow directions
1. No DVD in the tray. The tray closed. The unit and TV on.
2. Press "Setup" on the remote.
3. Press the "down" arrow repeatedly until the top heading shows "Preferences."
4a. Then press "OK" and Audio will be highlighted.
b. Press the "down" arrow and the next category "Subtitles" will be highlighted.
c. THEN enter this 6-digit code: "138931"
Immediately the screen will show "Region Code 1".
d. Press the "up" arrow and "Code 1" becomes "Code 0". All Region or Region Free.
e. Press "Setup" to exit.
5. Turn off and then back on to remove green bar along the top of the screen.

This is a great player regardless of price.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2010
I am an avid viewer of DVDs and have been a staunch supporter of the players made by this company for about ten years, but even the most reliable of equipment eventually wears out, especially if it sees as much use as my last player did. I recently replaced my last unit after years of use, and when I did I went with this model and I have never been happier with any player I have owned. It's lightweight, slightly smaller than previous models, can be converted to all-regions use with ease (and I say that as a person who is in no way tech-savvy) and it even plays Divx discs with zero problems. If it were not against the laws of man and nature, I would make sweet, sweet love to this player in a heartfelt expression of my appreciation for it. HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2010
I got this player for one reason: to play video from a flash drive. I read the glowing reviews for the budget Philips DVP5982, and then discovered that this is its successor (smaller but does all the same things). It has played all the .avi and DivX files that I have tried without a hitch. It is very hard to find a player in this price range that has a USB port and the proper codecs to do this. As far as I know, this model and its predecessor are the only ones that you can get for under $100 that have this capability. And this is even under $50. Once you have a flash drive connected, the player generates a menu with whatever folders and files you have on it, and you are ready to navigate with the remote. The design of the player is simple and not offensive or trendy in any way. The remote may feel a little cheap and insubstantial, but it is is fully functional and quite well designed--which is something I have certainly not been able to say about all the remotes I have had over the years. It has buttons for the USB port and for creating MP3s from an audio disc to a flash drive (this feature is of no use to me but it's available to you). It also has an eject button for the DVD tray. Yes, it does play DVDs, but I can't comment on the upscaling as I have not entered the HD world yet.

If you want to play .avi videos without having to get an HD DVD player or new high end 1080 HD TV with this feature, look no further. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2010
I really wanted to love this DVD player. I had read so many good reviews and was anxiously awaiting the day it would
arrive so I could replace my Toshiba VCR/DVD combo that had served me well, but had recently stopped working. When it arrived I happily set about unpacking it and hooking it up. I turned the player on and pushed the button to open the DVD tray. Nothing. I could hear the motor trying to open the tray and the digital display on the front read "open" but nothing was happening. Tried again - no luck. Unplugged it for 30 seconds and plugged back in as a user on another site had recommended but still the tray wouldn't open. After looking around on the internet I found that many people had this problem with the dvd tray not opening in Phillips players.

While I have to give the player only 1 star because of it's inability to open the tray--which is a shame because it's a very sleek looking piece of electronics--I will give 5 Stars to Amazon's ease of return. I simply had to repackage the player, print out a return form to enclose with the item and UPS showed up at my door to pick it up with no charge to me. I have chosen to go with a Panasonic DVD-S58 1080p Up-Converting DVD Player. This has gotten good reviews as a solid DVD player in this price range which is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for reading my review and best of luck to you in your own search for the perfect DVD player!
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2011
This is the DVD player to have for the price!

To remove green bar
1. No DVD in the tray. The tray closed. The unit and TV on.
2. Press "Setup" on the remote.
3. Press the "down" arrow repeatedly until the top heading shows "Preferences."
4a. Then press "OK" and Audio will be highlighted.
c. THEN enter this 6-digit code: "138931"
Immediately the screen will show "Region Code 1".
e. Press "Setup" to exit.
5. Turn off and then back on to remove green bar along the top of the screen
This is basically a copy of the previous hack..Enjoy
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2011
I bought this DVD player for my son (from another retailer - but their comment section is turned off.) It worked great. DVD player played store bought and homemade DVD's - no problem. Also, the USB port played movies (.avi files) and music (mp3's) without a hitch.

The problem is the unit died after 6 months. I called Philips to start the warranty process (it has a 1 year warranty). She walked me through the process, and at the end said "because your unit was manufactured more than a year ago, there will be a $25 shipping fee." I said that I bought it less than 7 months ago (have receipt), and it has a 1 year warranty. She repeated that the repair/replace will be covered, but not the $25 shipping.

I told her that was ridiculous. I bought it on sale for $39, it's under warranty, and you want $25 for shipping???!!! I told her I wouldn't pay that, and she said I could call back if I changed my mind. I told her that PHILIPS warranty service was a SHAM and that I wouldn't buy any more of their products.

0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2010
This player seems to be an update of the earlier DVP5990 model and it's of great interest to those foreigners in the US who come from a country that uses the PAL video format (rather than the NTSC format used in the US). The DVP3560 can take a PAL DVD and convert the signal to NTSC so that a US television can display it.

In addition, the DVDP3560 can be modified using a simple code input through the remote control that turns it into a multiregion player. Do a Google search on 'DVP3560 multiregion' to find out what the code is.

As far as I know, this Philips model (and its predecessor, DVP5990) are the only DVD players that allow you to play foreign PAL DVDs (and also perform 1080 upconversion) that can be bought in a standard consumer store. I.e., you don't have to order it from a special online store that sells modified DVD players.

I previously owned the DVP5990, and I just bought the DVP3560 yesterday. Having tried a few of my British DVDs I can confirm that it plays them perfectly. Note that you will need to buy a separate HDMI cable it you want the picture to be upconverted for your HD television, but you can buy them online for a few dollars. The upconverted picture is very good.

The player itself looks very similar to the DVP5990, but is smaller in width. Note that the DVP5990 had some reliability problems: mine stopped playing disks after 1.5 years (hence the need for a new player!), and if you check the Amazon reviews you'll see that many other people had the same problem. Hopefully the DVP3560 will be better.

If you're an American and have no interest in playing foreign DVDs, then you may be better off buying a blu-ray player or a Playstation 3 since these are coming down in price and probably better made than this player (it does have a cheap feel to it).

Anyways I give the player 5 stars for now since I believe it's a unique player on the market and it does everything I want it to do.

One final comment: when I checked online this player was out-of-stock almost everywhere however it's currently available in most Best Buy stores, which is where I got mine.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2010
This little player is versatile and comes very handy when one wants to watch a variety of media, such as DVDs (American or foreign) or DivX/avi/wma, etc. media files. The upscaling also works very well and does make a significant difference - one gets suddenly a different feeling, while watching older DVDs. In addition, the player is quiet and extremely light, and takes very little space on a shelf.

The things to consider are:

1) Buy a separate HDMI cable from Amazon (5-6 bucks) to experience the upscaling feature; the player's HDMI video signal is preset on "auto" and you won't need to do anything else but simply hook the HDMI cable to your HDTV and play a movie in the DVD player. The upscaling will be done automatically.

2) In case you want to watch DVDs from Europe or from any other region overseas, you need to make the DVD player "code-free," which is fairly easy. You need to go to its "Preferences" menu (by pressing "Setup" and then by sliding down to the last icon on the left that looks like a check mark). You also need to make sure that there is no DVD inside the player. Once you are in "Preferences," move the cursor one position down (so that you will be, technically speaking, on "Subtitles") and then enter the region-unlocking code, which you can find online by using Google (I don't want to post it here). Once the region menu appears, select the region you want to add by pressing the up/down cursors (it will be on "1" by default).

3) Most DivX movies (avi format) and Windows Media audio files can also be played from any USB device, such as a flash drive, etc. There is no delay and so far the player has impressed me by reading every type of media file I've thrown at it.

Overall, since I have a large collection of PAL DVDs and a great variety of avi/wma media, I am very happy that I can enjoy watching them on my HDTV, which is something that my older DVD player did not allow me to do.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse