5,006
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$24.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 9, 2010
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I have been seeking a fully-featured wireless mouse for the past two weeks and have finally found my optimum choice in the Logitech Wireless Mouse M510. The attributes I sought out included the following:

1) Full-size and ergonomic shape. I have fairly large hands, so most notebook mice cannot provide a sufficiently comfortable experience for long periods of usage time.

2) High battery endurance. I prefer a wireless mouse that minimizes battery replacement to improve overall convenience and reduce my dead battery collection.

3) Laser technology. A setting of at least 1200 dpi is necessary to track subtle movements, which are particularly important for graphical applications (i.e. solid modeling and photo editing software). Laser technology also allows for usage on most surfaces.

4) Inconspicuous wireless transmitter. I find great appeal in a low profile wireless transmitter, as it saves the user from having to remove the device from a notebook during travel.

While many other competing products from Logitech offer appealing features such as "hyper scrolling" and any-surface tracking a la "Darkfield", they each carry their own weaknesses as well. For example, I considered various notebook-class mice, including the Anywhere MX and the Marathon M705, yet as a person with fairly large hands, I determined that they were simply not large enough to use comfortably.

Notebook Mice:

With respect to the Anywhere MX, while its touted "Darkfield" technology and "hyper scrolling" are admittedly persuasive, does not appear to yield the battery endurance that I desire. The form factor is certainly far too small to permit the ergonomics my hands require.

In consideration of the Marathon M705, while it certainly has the battery endurance I desire, as well as "hyper scrolling", it still remains too small, and the price tag currently does not justify its purchase. The Anywhere MX (at the time of research) could be had for nearly the same price after rebate, and if I were to choose a less-than-comfortable mouse, I would be more inclined to compromise some battery life for features.

Full-Sized Mice:

Moving on to full-sized mice, I spent some time researching the Performance MX. The Performance MX touts a host of features, including a low-profile wireless transmitter, but I am not fully convinced that they justify the price. Furthermore, this device utilizes a cradle for charging, and I would prefer high endurance, which typically entails the exclusive use of AA or AAA batteries.

While researching this category, I came across the M510, which although it carries less features than the aforementioned products, represents the best compromise to the attributes I desire in a mouse. Notably, this mouse has a great form factor, and while not as large as the Performance MX, fits comfortably and ergonomically even for my larger hands. Admittedly, I would prefer that the mouse were a bit longer to fill out my palm, but in the manner I handle the mouse, comes very close to an ideal fit. Logitech claims battery endurance up to 2 years, which far exceeds my expectations, and reduces my reliance on spare batteries. The device uses laser technology, which actually does not perform optimally on my aluminum desk, but tracks perfectly on my microfiber mouse pad with high accuracy. I honestly did not expect the mouse to function well on my desk, so this is more of an observation than a concern. The device also includes the low-profile wireless transmitter, which overall adds to the convenience of the product, and lends itself to a more travel-worthy full-sized mouse. As an additional note, the forward and back buttons work perfectly, and are quite easy to access. Extra buttons that are actually usable certainly add greater value to this product.

Conclusion:

While this mouse certainly has less features than some of the competition, it can be had for a reasonable price, which from Amazon lies in the range of $30 to $40. The form factor is excellent, the battery life is sufficient, the accuracy is great, and the wireless transmitter is convenient. For those seeking a full-sized and ergonomic mouse that still affords some portability, the Logitech M510 is a great option, and should represent a serious candidate for any mouse-purchasing decisions.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 4, 2010
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I bought this mouse at bestbuy as it was not available on amazon yet. My previous experience with a wireless mouse was not good. I bought it from HP and it came with a charger cradle to recharge the batteries and a disk to download the software. It started to freeze up often, so I replaced it with the original corded mouse.

While researching current wireless mice, i was confused as to why none came with a charger cradle. Apparently, the new technology allows a wireless mouse to use a standard set of batteries that last up to two years! This is great. I was looking for a full size mouse as I use this on my desktop and don't need it to be portable for a laptop. The feel is perfect. Contoured sides with rubber grips, the wheel is smooth and the buttons on the side are high enough not to get in the way when you are holding the mouse. These buttons can be programmed to do custom functions. I don't have volume controls on my new keyboard, so I programmed them to control volume up/down. I set maximize screen by pushing the scroll wheel. The USB receiver is small (I guess they call it nano receiver) so if you want to use it with a laptop and leave it plugged in all the time it is very inconspicuous.

There is an on/off switch, but it also goes into sleep mode to conserve the batteries. It works right out of the box, but there is software you can download off the Logitech website if you want to customize the button functions, etc.

The mouse has worked great and I couldn't be happier with it!
on February 21, 2011
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I have a couple logitech mice and I remain happy with their quality and features. I have to say this is by far the most comfortable mouse that I have ever used. I also have a Logitech M505 and while I was happy with the comfort of M505 mouse, I have to say that M510 is more comfortable because of the bigger full size and better rubber contoured design. If you are looking for more a portable mouse and want smaller size, go with the M505. If you want a larger full size mouse that is more comfortable, go with the M510. As for the appearance of the M510, it is very nice and sleek. Very stylish and doesn't look cheap at all. As for the performance, the cursor control is perfect and precise. Not jittery and not too fast at all. And if you ever did want to adjust cursor speed or adjust buttons, you can by simply downloading a program on their website. I had no need for it though as the mouse worked perfectly for me as is. It also has side scrolling. One feature that I also like is the back and forward button on the side. It is in the right spot and doesn't interfere with my thumb. It also has the unifying receiver which you can connect multiple devices. Some people complained that usb receiver doesn't work with other brands but I think that is common sense and shouldn't expect that. And the setup was easy as I just plugged it and it worked. As for working on various surfaces, it works on many different surfaces. This isn't the more expensive Anywhere Mouse that works on glass or "solid gloss surfaces" but M510 works on the other surfaces like wood grain surface, pants, shirt, couch, mouse pad, etc. People shouldn't complain about its work surface ability because it doesn't have dark field laser and that costs an extra $30. People should realize that THIS MOUSE WAS NEVER MARKETED TO WORK ON GLASS, "MIRROR LIKE" GLOSS SURFACES OR "ANYWHERE". Battery life? It has a great 2 year battery life which is more than my M505 mouse. If it last anywhere close to that, I will be very happy.

PROS: wireless, VERY comfortable, great looking mouse, very precise, unifying receiver, works on various surfaces, great connection to receiver, long battery life, great price, 3 YEAR WARRANTY
CONS: None so far

I give this mouse a 9.5 out of 10.
on May 11, 2011
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Oh man, I was looking for a mouse like this.

Pros:
1.) 5-BUTTON MOUSE.

2.) GREAT SIDE BUTTONS. They're easily accessible with a natural move upward of one's thumb.

3.) 4-WAY SCROLLING DONE RIGHT. I tried another mouse with 4-way scrolling. This other mouse (Microsoft wireless optical 6000, I believe) made it hard to middle-click, and I would have to aim my finger to avoid "side-clicking" the scroll-wheel. Also if you side-clicked and middle-clicked at the same time, it wouldn't read the middle-click. The Logitech M510 will read your middle-click even if you side-click at the same time, AND it becomes subconsciously easy to use middle clicking and the side-clicks because of how well it's made.

4.) CLICKS FEEL GOOD. The side buttons click just as easily and with just the same sound, feel, and precision as the left and right click on the mouse. The scroll-wheel clicks are easy too, but won't accidentally be clicked while scrolling.

5.) BATTERIES DONE RIGHT. Logitech claims this mouse has 2 years of life with it's 2 double A batteries, but I'd be happy with 6 months. I'm eager to see how long it lasts with a frequent user! There's more to the batteries than life-span: this mouse runs 2 double A batteries, so it isn't a recharging mouse. This is nice because if you want to recharge, you can buy rechargeable batteries and use 2 while you charge the others. This also eliminates the annoyance of batteries' losing recharge ability. While it's nice to have the option, some people like the freedom to make a wireless mouse wired to recharge (which this mouse doesn't provide). However, I didn't like the weight from both batteries, so I took one out. The mouse works with ONE battery and is as light as I wanted it! I shook the crap out of this mouse to test it, and the lone battery in the mouse DID NOT MOVE! So, you can have 2 weight settings if you want by using the batteries.

6.) PRECISION MOVEMENT. I'm not an expert on cursor reading, but this mouse is more precise than my last one, and I was told that optical mice are "better" than laser ones. This cursor moves flawlessly with every quick or slow movement I make, and I was very satisfied with the variety of sensitivities one could set with the software. The laser is also invisible, so no red (if that bothered you).

7.) TINY WIRELESS TRANSMITTER. In case this is not understood yet, the wireless transmitter for this mouse is the size of my thumbnail... Not only that, but I've had ZERO connection problems and tested it to read without lag up to 15-20 feet away.

8.) NICE OVERALL DESIGN. The plastic is smooth on the palm, but doesn't leave any smudges. The sides of the mouse give me the control I wanted with the shape and rubbery feel they gave it, and I adjusted to the totally different feel from a standard $7.00 mouse with no curves or rubber in just 1 day. There is a storage for the tiny wireless transmitter, and it's a simple slot inside the battery compartment. The mouse has an on/off switch but also has automatic sleep-mode.

9.) SIMPLE SOFTWARE. I didn't need to install software, since every mouse I've tried uses the same stuff. However, all one must do to change the default settings for the side mouse buttons is insert the provided CD, and wait a very short time. Now the CD is done, and you have a simple window to open and configure.

Cons:

1.) NOT ALL SURFACES. This mouse doesn't work on glass tabletops or glass-covered tabletops. I would doubt that this mouse works on mirrors, and it doesn't work on certain wood finishes. One wood finish I tried greatly reduces the mouse's sensitivity, but this can be adjusted. Other than that, all other surfaces worked with slight variations in sensitivity (even a dog).

2.) NOT ENOUGH CONS. I wrote "Cons" instead of "Con" because I wanted to comment on more imperfections. This mouse did not allow this to be done. I'm nervous that in a year, something will go wrong. Then, this mouse will not have lasted as long as my $7.00 mouse! This mouse is too well-made...

Pros/Cons:

1.) SIZE. I like the size of this mouse. I'd say there are about 4 sizes of mice: 1 is for on-the-go small notebooks and smaller hands, 2 is a more medium mouse for hands that like to control with more fingers instead of wrist, 3 is only different from 2 in that smaller hands may have trouble keeping palms off the mouse to control with the fingers, and 4 is just huge for big hands. THIS MOUSE is about a 3, so it is acceptable, but may not be perfect, for very small hands.

2.) CLICKING SCROLL-WHEEL. I prefer scroll-wheels that click, but the scroll-wheel moves in intervals/clicks (not clicks as in noise). If one prefers a smooth scroll wheel, instead of lowering this wheel's sensitivity, this is not satisfactory.

3.) $33.62. This mouse is ~$16.00 used, and just over $30.00 new. With all the brilliant success on this mouse, I would've personally paid $40.00. If this mouse was more, I'd want a fancier sensor for glass and so-forth.

OVERALL: If one wants a 5-button mouse, would like to try one for convenience, would like a wireless mouse, or wants a well-made, well-thought-out mouse, This one is as flawless as I could find.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2012
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I used Logitech V220 Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks (Dark Silver), which worked great. But I have big hands, so I wanted a full-size mouse.

This mouse is much more comfortable for my hands, but what I don't like is that is not as precise as my previous mouse (being this laser, which is supposedly to be better than optical). For example, it's very hard to make the cursor mouse goes steady in one direction (with the Logitech V220 I could do it without problems). I made an example in PAINT (img138.imageshack.us/img138/5747/63930316.jpg). You can see how the accuracy is very bad in the Logitech M510 compared to the Logitech V220 Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks (Dark Silver) on the same surface (light brown desk).

Maybe with a mousepad it becomes precise, but I haven't tried it yet because I don't have one.
review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 31, 2014
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I've owned three of these mice of late, and both have run into similar problems.

I will preface this review by stating that while they work, both mice functioned well. I like the size and shape, the extra buttons are useful for my editing work, and the mouse is precise and responsive. Most important to me, it's comfortable. But with both mice, they would stop registering input or create input of their own. My last one acted like it was haunted, but it was out of warranty and I figured it was easier to just replace it. This one is only a couple months old (a replacement through Amazon for another purchased one), and will no longer accept a left-click input (and will actually randomly toss in its own). It's not the receiver: right now, I am using the keyboard I picked up with the original mouse and an older mouse through the Logitech unifying receiver. That's right, I've got a four year old mouse that outlasted this model three times.

Logitech makes great products, ordinarily, but I cannot recommend a model that has malfunctioned on me three times--especially since it's failed in roughly the same way all three times. I've contacted Logitech support, but I'm buying a different mouse in the meanwhile, because the loss of functionality is too much of an inconvenience to keep suffering. I don't give this product a bad review lightly. I wanted to like it so much I dealt with two bad versions.
on March 5, 2011
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
Most of the mouse I've held were waaay too small. This one fits nicely. If anyone is having trouble with slow mouse acceleration, or if the mouse cursor acts funny, there is a simple way to fix it. Turn your mouse over and blast a few shot of regular compressed air in the hole where the laser light hides. Basically the problem is because of particles and dust getting trapped in there. Problem solved.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 25, 2010
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
My very old MS optical wired mouse finally gave it up and failed after many years of good service. I replaced it with this M510 Logitech wireless mouse, which works great. Battery life is excellent with two double A's, and you can turn it off on the bottom with a small switch if you like. I like the ergonomic shape with a nice bump at the back to support my hand during many hours of photo editing and heavy use. It tracks well, is fast and I like the left side thumb buttons, pre-programmed for forward and back in web browsing, but you can re-program them. The scroll wheel works fine with nice little click stops. The dongle is tiny and I just leave it in a USB port all the time--there is no need to remove it because it is so small it doesn't get in the way of anything. I am very pleased with this Logitech M510 wireless mouse and am also satisfied with other wireless Logitech mice models that I have purchased for my laptop and netbook. I am using the M510 with my XP Pro desktop and there have been no issues at all.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 24, 2011
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
The logitech m510 is an excellent mouse for folks with big hands, has a great ergonomic feel and quality buttons etc. It is my favorite wireless mouse to date, but there is a flaw to look out for.

The housing of the laser lens is very poorly designed, allowing the module to move rather freely in its socket. Due to stiffness and placement of the connecting wire inside, this will overtime allow the eye to move into an angle where your cursor reception becomes quite impaired. Fixing it is simple, open the mouse, and place some object thats about 1/8 of an inch thick between the connecting wire and the plastic to put pressure on it thus keeping the eye housing in its proper, parallel position. This should get your mouse working perfectly without any issues, I used a small piece of card board folded and stuck inside and it worked like a charm.

Otherwise, I give this mouse a 10, have had it a year and still on the original batteries and I use it all day and rarely remember to turn it off when not using it.
on July 30, 2010
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I must say that I'm really disapointed in the M510 mouse. I purchased it for use on a light (or blonde) colored tabletop but unfortunately, the mouse does not track very well on light colors. It works great on dark surfaces, or with a newspaper or magazine under it. It is otherwise a very good mouse; the buttons are very responsive.

My only other comment is that in spite of what other reviews say, the mouse does run a little small for someone with large hands. My other Logitech mice are larger & more comfortable for my large hands.

I contacted Logitech support who said that it should track well on light surfaces, that mine mouse may be defective, so I exchanged it but the second one also does not work well on light surfaces.

So if you will use it on dark surfaces, I rate it five stars. For use on light surfaces, it only gets 2 stars.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations