Verified Purchase
i've been a person who has signed alot of contracts for phone service w/ all kinds of carriers (Alltel, Cingular, CellOne, Verizon, T-Mobile). I wanted to get away from contracts, let's face it, they suck, as do early termination fees. I wasn't thrilled about buying another cellphone just so i could have pre-paid service - that is the downside. Not to mention i bought a Samsung Gravity 2 - used it for 6 months and upgraded/bought the Gravity 3. Used the G3 for a few months before switching to Net10 - Samsung T401g. Luckily i found a refurb model selling for $40 on amazon. Let me list the pro's & con's for you ppl thinking about going over to this service:

PRO's:

- no contract, no credit check (pretty much everything the website tells you - […] )
- slight variety of phones (flip, slider, imitation blackberry model, regular no flip/no slider models). The less fancy the phone, the cheaper the cost of the phone - i.e. flips and non-flip models should be under $20 (and on amazon, some selling for as low as $4!!)
- pretty easy to use service
- pretty easy to use phone (if you are used to Samsung Gravity models - t401g is almost exact - only diff color and thicker)
- easy to add airtime (can buy the cards at various locations - gas stations, best buy, etc - or buy them from the net10 website, or even from your phone)
- accessory kit is cheap (usually $14.99) and comes with alot of stuff - car charger, earpiece (handsfree), wall charger, different adapters
- texting is cheaper - .30 a text to send and recieve
- activation can be done online thru net10 website
- you can keep an existing number from one of your other cellphones, but you do have to keep that other cellphone service active in order to keep that number

CON's:

- REFURB MODELS: DON'T BUY A REFURB unless you are very tech savvy and have some patience to deal with various issues that may pop up

- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Net10's ONLINE customer service is a complete joke and waste of time! Trust me when i say --> call the customer service number, and you will have your problem(s) solved within 20-45 min (depending on the problem) other then waiting days and weeks for online tech's to help you. if you have a facebook account - don't even bother with Net10 online tech's there for help - they are UBER SLOW!

- T401G PHONE: the t401g phone is kinda flimsy - you can tell that this is a cheap made phone. (i'm just comparing it to the other phones i've had over the yrs - Samsung Gravity 2 & 3, LG models, Motorola RAZR, etc)

- TEXTING: be aware that while it costs .30 to send and recieve - if you don't delete your message after you read it, and say you delete the next day - it will charge you another .30 just to delete it... it only does that cuz it thinks you are reading it again. Unlike features on the Gravity 2 & 3 and most phones where you can just go to inbox, see your list of msg's and click delete on them - the t401g does not let you do that.. in order to delete a msg you have to go back to it, and then you can delete it. Hence the repeat .30 charge. So if you want to avoid a repeat charge, just delete them as soon as you read them.
Also be advised that you may have to speak to customer service in order to activate the .30 charge rate for texting - not all of them do it automatically.

- PICTURE MESSAGING: major downer for this phone - i know it's not the signal where i was - i had good signal - but it took forever for a pic msg to come thru - i retrieved about 4-5 times - each time you retrieve it costs like .50 - but as it does the process and is downloading or retrieving - it keeps hitting you every so often w/ repeat .50 charges, and then you never get the pic. maybe the pic my friend was sending was too big of a file - i'm not sure. i had one pic get thru just fine and only got charged .30, this other one - i lost patience and just deleted it. if i had to pay more then 5.00 in charges to see it, not worth it. pic retrieving time varies - can be slow and sometimes can be fast

- PORTING NUMBERS: keeping a number from another cellphone you may have w/ another carrier - i.e. t-mobile, at&t, etc... yes you can port the number to your net10 phone, but that # will only be able to be ported and remain as your net10 number so long as the other service stays active. so if you got at&t or what not and 678-093-1124 as a number and you port it to your net10 phone, it will port. but if you cancel your at&t service, you will lose that # as your net10 number and have to change to a diff one. (May work well if you have other tracfones or net10 phones for porting - i wouldn't reccommend using a contract service number to your pre-paid - for obvious reasons - you're probaly wanting to terminate your contract so you can go pre-paid and pay less, so why port the contract # and pay for 2 phones. that's just stupid and ridiculous.)

Additional comments: I'm not really too disappointed with the net10 service or the phone - i am paying cheaper then what i was w/ contract carriers. My biggest peeve was getting it activated and the zillions of codes i had to enter into the phone from cust. service in order to troubleshoot all the issues i was having. That's why i gave it a 4 star rating.

Suggestions: If you don't use your phone much and you do want to keep the cost low - i suggest buying the airtime cards that give you more days then minutes. a 300 min card gives you like 60 days i think. while a 750 min card gives you only 30 days, and you have to buy a card each month to keep the service active if you buy the monthly cards. you can switch over anytime to the other cards - the pay as you go ones- but if you do that, it will erase whatever monthly min you have from the monthly cards.

The only way you get the rollover minutes from Net10 (and yes they do rollover) - are if you buy the Pay As You Go Cards - these are the ones that cost as low as $15. These are the ones that are your 150 min, 300 min, 1000 min, etc... and you can keep buying these and entering in the code and it will rollover any unused so long as it is pay as you go cards.

However if you buy the monthly cards - 750 min $25/unlimited $50 - you have to reload either w/ another monthly, or you can delete any remaining monthly min if you buy a Pay As You Go card and reload with that.

I made the mistake of buying the 750min card - i'm a huge texter, but not a huge talker - so i am going to switch over to the pay as you go so i can get more service days out of my phone. buying the monthly cards is like being on a contract almost - got to reload every month. i'd rather reload every couple months or more, or not have to worry about if i buy the 1000 min card for example.

hope that helps ( i will also upload images of the phone and accessory kit)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 11, 2010
Verified Purchase
Basically, the only things that annoy me about this phone is that Java apps can't access the internet, so stuff like Google Maps is downloadable, but doesn't work.

Also if you are already a Net10 member with a 5cent per text plan, when you switch to this phone it's still going to be that amount.

Everything else is great, I love the keyboard if I use the web and I can fill out stuff quickly. I don't text much, but I see how handy that would be for texters.

I love the customizable wallpaper and ringtone. To save money, instead of using Net 10's service, try grabbing a MicroSD card with and adapter and something you can use to plug an SD card into a computer with, you don't need a data cable. Find free wallpapers and ringtones on the net or even make them yourself (wallpapers are images 176x220, MP3 ringtones have to be under 300kb in file size). Use your computer to put the files on the microSD, pop it into your phone, and you are all set!
on August 30, 2010
I bought the Net10 Samsung T401G phone two weeks ago. Advertised as getting 3 cents per text message (or .30 minutes) per text. Minutes were running out fast until I noticed I was getting charged .15-.25 cents (1.5-2.5 minutes) per text for each of the texts that I had sent.

After spending about 25 minutes on my Tracfone phone with Net10, who is owned by Tracfone, and have them tell me that because of the Code Entry Mode numbers on the phone being correct, I was getting charged the correct amount per text. I had to argue with them that my phone was overcharging me, then all of a sudden, they wanted me to key in some code numbers, and then go figure, I was getting charged (.30 minutes) per text. I am still getting charged (.90 minutes) per text when its from an actual email address. When it's from a phone, it's (.30 minutes).

Last Friday, when I turned the phone on, the screen read, "Insert SIM". It had never been touched since I've had the phone, and all of a sudden that screen appeared. I removed the SIM card, and re-installed it a few times, still the same results. I called Net10/Tracfone's Customer "Care" representatives who told me to remove the card and re-insert the card. After I did it for them, they were talking to me like I was some kind of idiot. "Did you install it correctly?", "Is it seated corrected?", "Is it loose?" "Do you have it in upside down?", and on, and on, and on. The SIM Card is notched in the corner, and down in an indentation where it can only go in one way. This took about 15 minutes, and then I sat on the phone for another 10-15 minutes while they talked to their supervisor. I asked to talk to a manager, and then was put on hold, where I was disconnected from.

I called back again, went through the above again, asked to talk to a manager, and was told this time that the managers did not take phone calls, and I could speak to a supervisor, so they put a supervisor on the phone, went through the above mentioned fiasco AGAIN, and then 39 minutes later I was told they would send me another SIM card. With roughly 70 minutes gone off of my other phone they said minutes spent on customer care calls would not be reimbursed, and I should have called from a LAN line. If I had a LAN line, I wouldn't need them. The little that I have used the Samsung phone so far, seems like a nice phone when it works, but since the customer care is Tracfone/Net10 gets a 1 rating, and that's only because there are no zeros.

My sister has since bought one of these Net10 Samsungs, and has also had to make the call to them to enter the codes for the 3 cents a minute text.

If you buy some Net10 minutes, be sure to budget in minutes for poor customer care calls.

Hello Verizon.

UPDATE: September 27th 2010

The phone that I went through the above mess with worked for a couple of weeks with the new SIM card, now displays the 'Insert SIM' message AGAIN. This phone was used very little and was never opened up before getting the 'Insert SIM' message again. I went to ShopKo to get a refund, and it is now ShopKo's policy that all cell phone sales, and cell phone minutes sales are NONREFUNDABLE. Contact manufacturer for problems with the cell phone. That way, you can go through the above mentioned circus. Thank you ShopKo, I hope you enjoyed my money. The ShopKo that I speak of is located at: 4801 Washington Avenue in Racine, WI., Tel: 262-637-3733. Stay away from ShopKo and Net10/Tracfone.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2010
The reception and the transmission are very good. My wife noticed the difference immediately when I called her with this phone - having just switched my phone # from a LG phone. We've had three different cell phones, this is BY FAR the best in reception and transmission. Kudos Samsung.

It has held up - I've had it several months.

Battery lasts a long time and recharges quickly.

Longest conversation was about 45 minutes - phone did not get hot - clarity stayed good - battery held up.

The keyboard is classic - I can type very fast - my texts are much better structured English - and I can type them quick.

It's a phone - and if you think of it as 'phone first' - then - it works very very well. I'd buy it again.

4star.

Why not 5? The back cover has come off on me unexpectedly 2times. No biggie - just be aware that it's an electronic instrument and not a toy and you'll get along just fine with it.
on November 20, 2010
Well i love this phone since i picked it up last year and have had nothing but good things to say about it. Great high volume, especially on speaker phone, the drop down keyboard in the back is great, and just overall the whole phone is great. One thing i will nit pick about is the sliding back panel on the phone which will not stay on to save its life, i noticed i couldnt get it on(thinking it was me) back when i bought it. So it may be that, but i've lived with it all this time, so small potatoes. This phone has everything i need without all the extra crap. No fancy net or chat, just good texting, pic and other features to use. Net 10 service is ok if you don't TALK a lot, which i don't, just not a phone guy. Texts equal out about 5 cents which isn't bad at all, but if your not careful you can go over pretty quick. The only bad thing is when people call you(not knowing you have a prepaid phone) or you have something major to do like a service, or someone who puts you on hold, that will burn up your minutes faster than fire and dried leaves. On the plus side the minutes aren't that expensive, but then again you'd probably be better to get into some sort of contract deal if your a major texter or talker. I just refuse to though because of all the additional fees, and garbage you have to put up with in a contract, so i just pay what i pay, with no extra hassle. So this is the best of the Net 10 phones, who cares about androids, and Iphones etc, its a phone, i use it for talking or text. I already own two computers for everything else. They have gone to far with that junk!! Love this though, all i need.:d
on October 24, 2010
I got a refurbished model from net10 for $50. I really like this phone so far, I got a 2 gb microSD chip for mp3s, pics etc. The speaker sounds really good for a cell phone. I had to call net10 from a land line to get the 3c text messaging set up, they tell you a bunch of codes to enter into the phone, but it does work now. When I first got the phone it was 5c per text. Sometimes the keyboard is a llitttllee sttiickky and I get more letters than I wanted while texting, but this could have to do with it being refurbed. I don't use the data/internet browser, it doesn't seem to work well and it sucks your minutes away. I don't care about the browser, I just wanted the phone. It takes nice pictures and even a little video, then bluetooths it all onto your computer. All in all I'm happy with this phone, and it really doesn't get cheaper than this. I spend 40 bucks a month, max. As long as prepaid service like net10 is available I will never, ever, ever, EVER again sign a contract for a phone.
on December 31, 2010
Alright so I've been a NEt10 customer for about a year and I have no complaints. I haven't had to call tech support for any reason, and this phone has been nothing but solid for me. The main raving points are that the service only costs 50 dollars a month for a compeltely unlimited plan INCLUDING data and text and the fact that it uses Verizon and ATT towers to broadcast it's signal, which means that it is truly nationwide and I get plenty of bars everywhere I travel.
on January 28, 2011
I too was getting charged .50 minutes per text. After having the phone for about 3 months, I read a review where a guy wrote that you have to call customer service to get it changed. If you have this phone and are getting charged .50 minute per text, you need to call Net 10's customer service. They will give you codes to punch into your phone to make it .30 minutes. Make sure you call from a landline! 1-877-836-2368

As far as the phone and service (including my experiences with customer service) are concerned, I have zero problems with either. Great phone for the money!
on February 1, 2011
Net10 is great for those of you on a budget who need great unlimited service on smartphones. I used this phone during college but now I just got the LG900G which is really great. Not iPhone fast but still, the price cant be beat and it uses the Verizon and ATT Wireless networks so you know it delivers great quality service.
on August 21, 2010
The Samsung T401 is a really great phone. The high quality and low price of the phone combined is a great match. Plus being on the prepaid Net10 service - you get coast to coast coverage which can be especially wonderful if you travel alot. I save an enormous amount each month compared to my old contracted cell phone plan and my family couldn't be happier. Net10 even offers you to win a cash prize in a really funny contest at the Net10laughoff website - give it a shot, its TOO much fun :) Overall, definitely reccommend the phone and service.

See 1 answered question