Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on November 3, 2010
I purchased this laptop as a replacement for one that was 7-8 years old that was used in my shop. So, the power and performance were a real boost. I have several faster desktop units, but needed a portable. This laptop filled the bill.

The LED LCD is quite bright and makes the screen easy on the eyes. The styling of the laptop is very nice. Piano black on some portions and a metal wrist rest with a matte finish. It still shows fingerprints if you touch your face a lot, but wipes clean with a microfiber cloth and looks nice. The top of the outside case also has the metal with the wave-like lines.

The cursor control is by touch pad. The touch pad works well and has a feature where when you are typing, the mouse becomes inactive so you are not tying along and all of a sudden the cursor gets touched and typing appears somewhere else in the document. As well, if you put two fingers on it and spread or pinch your fingers, you will enlarge or shrink what's on the screen. It is really nice to be able to zoom in just like on an iPod or iPhone.

Processing power is adequate. It's not a quad core at 3.2GHz so don't expect that. But it handles several programs open at once while also working in Photoshop. I opened 50 large images at once before RAM was all full and it still ran smoothly.

Laptop runs fairly cool. Because it's not a quad core, it runs cooler. Like most laptops, though, it gets pretty warm, but my thermometer confirms it is 15F cooler than my previous "laptop" that could not be used on the lap it got so hot.

The "Chiclet style" keyboard is the first I've used. It makes typing, for me, much faster. Your fingers just glide over it easily.

Ports: 3 USB 2.0; 1 RJ-45 network jack; 1 VGA; 1 HDMI!; 1 Audio Out (3.5) and 1 Mic (3.5) That's it. No legacy ports on this machine. No Parallel Printer port, no Serial port.

Wireless N is built in and works quite well.

One thing I found out, Gateway and Acer are one in the same. This model is also offered as an Acer branded unit.

I am quite pleased with my purchase and would purchase it again.
on September 12, 2011
Bought this for my 18 year old sister and she was ecstatic. I was looking for a laptop that was great on my pocket and great on performance (for the price). It is great! The performance is great, the battery lasts and lasts, the features were just what she needs and I love the touch pad with its terrific features. Great combination!
on November 20, 2010
I used this laptop for 3 months and it crashed (I lost all my files and cannot even start windows). I called Gateway and they had me pay $30 for a recovery CD....that did not work...now they recognize this is a hardware problem covered by the 1 year guarantee but they want me to pay +50 dollars to ship the laptop to them. If covered by guarantee why don't they pay all expenses associated with the repais? why do I need to pay almost $100 to have them solve THEIR problems? Not worth it. Buy HP, Dell or any other well known brand, you can trust their customer service will take care of any issues, at no crazy extra cost for you.
on December 8, 2010
My friend in the nursing home had been using a five year old Gateway laptop that decided its time had come. It died one day and refused to be resurrected. It had been a good computer, though, and when enough money had been raised by her facebook and other friends, she picked this laptop to replace it. It's keeping up the tradition of the old laptop. It's reliable and hardy enough to handle the online games she plays (including slaughtering me now and then on Wordscraper). For a mid-level computer, this one can't be beat. Not the cheapest and not the best, but it does the job she wants it to do.
on November 11, 2010
This is my second Gateway and I loved the first. It just got old and didn't have enough memory, so I decided to update. I like the size of the hard drive and the memory on this Gateway. I also like having the additional set of numeric keys on the right side of the keyboard. I don't mind that the power putton is on the side of the computer, just below the screen. What I don't like is that often when I'm typing - like writing a product review - the typing will just disappear and I have found no way to bring it back. I don't know if it has something to do with the mouse pad or is just a quirk in the system, but it is very frustrating. It also periodically moves lines of text up a few rows. I never know when it's going to happen and I don't know if I am accidently touching a key that is making it do that. I am very cautious on where I put my hands on the keyboard and have thought of disconnecting the mouse pad, but it is more convenient for me to use the mouse pad than a mouse.

The other thing that is a challenge is the way the keys are set up on the keyboard. They are flat and slant slightly forward so I have to be careful that I am on the right keys when I type. I've had many computers and these keys are the most difficult to get used to. If I had been able to upgrade my old computer, I would have kept it. Since that wasn't possible, I will just have to learn to deal with the quirks in this system.