on September 3, 2010
Verified Purchase
This is my first netbook. I have always preferred desktops over laptops, but I needed something lightweight and portable, so after some research I decided to give this Samsung a try.

Good:
- Build quality is excellent. Chrome hinges on the lid, and the base feels sturdy when typing. It is very light and easy to toss around.
- Display is great to look at and easy on the eyes.
- Keyboard is amazing. I can type with better accuracy on the N230 than I can on my desktop, and with less fatigue.
- Hardware compatibility. I am using the N230 to dual-boot Windows 7 Starter and Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.4 and it handles both with ease.
- The speakers are the best I've ever heard coming from a netbook/laptop. The 2.1 sound (that's right, there's a subwoofer!) blows away the Harman/Kardon speakers on my Toshiba laptop I have at work.

Average:
- The battery life is not quite what I had hoped. I prefer to work with a higher brightness, and can usually drain the battery in 3-4 hours of medium-heavy use. I was hoping I could get it in the 5+ hour range. It would be nice if Samsung made the N230 available with the bigger battery.
- The screen resolution is lacking, and makes performing certain tasks difficult. This has more to do with the fact that it is a netbook and has a 10" screen, but it is definitely a compromise that has to be made when considering the N230 for purchase. The higher resolutions really distort the text too much to be used in more than a handful of specific situations, but it is nice to have that ability when absolutely needed, and you can get used to it after some time.

Bad:
- There really isn't anything bad about the N230. There are areas that fell short of my wants/expectations, but in my opinion it has no glaring faults.

Other Thoughts:

I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB of RAM before I ever turned the N230 on, and it has been plenty fast for all that I've asked it to do. For the price I paid, I am very pleased. My research led me to believe that the N230 would be a great first netbook for me, and so far I have not been let down.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 22, 2010
7-22-10

Pros: Thin, Light, Samsung Quality, Good Battery Life, Anti-Gare LED, Outside Power Button, Nice Chicklet Keyboard.
Ok: Junk speakers,.. all netbooks sound like crap anyway. Should have a subwoofer like the N120 Samsung.
Cons: N450 Atom with Window7 is slower then N270 with XP. 1GB ram is no good for Window7, Start up is slow.

Overall,.. I love this Samsung Netbook. Its a keeper.

Wow! 3 Cell battery give me about 5 hours normal use.

Will upgrade ram and hard drive soon.

Come back for updates....
on December 21, 2010
Verified Purchase
This Samsung N230 is wonderful. As is! Did not need to go to 2g. I have been able to do all the things I do on my laptop. Keypad is great, screen is very clear. I could not be happier!!!
on January 14, 2011
Verified Purchase
I bought this for my son but I am debating buying another one for me. This is a great machine, only upgrade I would suggest is to upgrade the RAM to 2GB. The one "bug" is you need to roll back the graphics driver so the screen dimming function will work. I am sure it will be corrected in future versions but as of now it was a small fix. A little bit of bloatware preloaded and Win 7 Starter not my favorite but can't blame Samsung for Win 7. All in all it is a great netbook option and an upgrade over the 150.
on March 29, 2011
Verified Purchase
Purchased this netbook for my partner to use going to and from work on the train, very high quality NetBook, consistant Samsung quality as we own several appliances, i.e. TV's etc... from this company. One thing that is especially nice is that it's one of the lightest you can buy, I specifically looked for the lightest netbook I could find because he carries it everyday. Great look and form factor, the battery doesn't stick out like a tumor off the back either unlike some of the Dell Notebooks. Conclusion is that he loves it, didn't upgrade the RAM but may in the future, works fine for the applications and email that he needs for work, I'm a bit envious that he uses it all the time now even at home instead of his expensive Dell XPS 15" laptop, it's that good!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations