on February 19, 2011
Canon replaced the ip4700 with the ip4820. It is virtually the same printer but with different ink chips. You cannot buy generic inks (as of 1-18-11) for your ip4820 as you could the ip4700. I own about 200 canon printers and 200 canon cameras. I love Canon but I cannot afford your high cost ink set. And last, Canon please make it an option in your driver or firmware to be able to stop random, endless, printer head cleanings. It is annoying, slows done photo printing and wastes expensive ink. There is a reason why the older ip3000 is a highly sought after printer on the used market. Cheap inks, no chips, no random deep cleanings, great print quality.

I would not suggest buying this printer unless you want to pay really high ink costs.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, and I am LOVING this printer!!
When you first get it, make sure you set aside some time to set it up. It takes a bit of time to get it all together and install the software, but the instruction guide makes it VERY simple with easy/clear step by step instructions. (really, I promise, super user friendly)
I was happy to see that it comes with a sample of three sheets of Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II so I could test it out right away. I was blown away with the quality of these prints! Side by side with mail order developing and pharmacy developing, I couldn't tell a difference, except I actually prefer the Canon paper. I immediately ordered Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, 4 x 6 Inches, 400 Sheets (2311B031) from Amazon.
The paper is so easy to load, unlike my previous paper which I had a hard time lining up the photo paper just right..the Canon is VERY user friendly. Pictures are printed suprisingly quick, they state aprox 20seconds, but it was quicker! As a document printer it is lightning fast as well (yes, it isn't just for pictures;)!
I've been having SO much fun playing around on [...] (Canon's "Creative Park" website)! I'm already planning our Christmas cards to be printed at home so also ordered Hallmark Premium Blank 4x8 Photo Cards from Amazon. :)
One thing to note, this is not wireless and does not include the necessary USB cable..which wasn't a problem for us since we had an extra from our previous printer.
I couldn't be happier with this and highly recommend!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2010
We have used Canon PIXMA printers for five years. They have all been affordable upfront costs and reasonable ink costs. They have all been very impressive with photo prints they have created.

We didn't want a scanner. Already have one that is fantastic (it is an HP). We don't need a memory card reader. We only need a printer. The PIXMA iP4820 fits that perfectly! This one replaces the four year old iP4300 that did a very good job. It has certainly improved the speed and image quality.
on September 21, 2010
I needed a simple printer without the "bells and whistles" so I bought this for only $79.00 from Adorama Camera Inc as a replacement for my Canon iP4000 that went on the blink after 5 yrs of good service. So far I am quite pleased with its performance. It has a much better human interface than my old printer and printing is exceptional. However, it is slower than the iP4000 and not as quiet. If I can get another five years of good service from this machine it will be more than worth the small investment.
on March 9, 2011
Lovely print, I especially like the duplex feature - saves paper. But to replace the ink cartridges costs more than I paid for the printer. Cannot afford it, plus the cartridges are very small, do not contain much ink. I'm going to junk it (won't even give it to GoodWill - wouldn't pass the high cost on to someone else) and do more research before I buy another printer.

When I complained to Canon that the replacement ink would cost more than the initial price for the printer, their reply was, "We understand your concerns regarding the cost of replacement Canon ink tanks for your printer; however, it should be noted that the cost of ink is the primary and highest percentage of the operating cost of using any ink jet printer, regardless of the manufacturer." I realize that, but why should I buy (pay the cost of) a new printer every three months? Sheesh!!

And if you run out of the color inks, you can't print B&W print even if you have a full black tank. What a rip-off.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon August 24, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I picked this model partly because I've always wanted an ink jet that uses separate cartridges for the different colors. All the other ink jet printers I've owned use two cartridges-one for black, the other for the three colors, meaning you have to toss the entire color cartridge when one color is used up, or else continue printing with sometimes unexpected results.

Having never owned an inkjet printer this high end before, I wasn't expecting the set-up to be slightly more complicated than normal. It wasn't bad, but I did actually refer to the instructions to make sure I was doing it right. Lower-end ink jets I've owned basically just have you slap the two cartridges in and you're done. On most, the print heads are actually part of the ink cartridge (as I understand it), not the printer itself. On the iP4820, the print heads are part of the printer, but ship as a single piece in a little sealed bag separate from the printer. Installation just takes a second or two-the part just fits right in.

Installing the cartridges is as easy (or easier) than any other printer I've used, other than there being five cartridges instead of the normal two. They snap right in, and a red light lights up when they're in position correctly. For whatever reason, besides the three colors, there appear to be TWO black cartridges-one larger than the others.

The printer has two paper sources-I think generally it expects you to use the tray on the bottom for normal paper, and the feed on top (which folds down to save space) for fancy paper (or I suppose legal sized paper, etc.) It took me a minute to figure out how to extend the tray so it fits normal paper...it's actually easy to do, I just didn't realize I had to adjust it.

While the instructions clearly tell you to install the included software first before connecting the printer to your computer, I wanted to see if I could just use built in drivers or have Windows Update grab them...it turns out you can't (or at least Windows Update doesn't yet have the drivers when I tried over the weekend). I had to unplug it, install the software, and plug it into a different USB port. I installed everything except a tool that's supposed to let you format web pages before printing. Thankfully it does let you install the drivers themselves if you don't want the other software. Installing all the software seemed to install one background process-I don't think it's part of the driver though, as I printed after killing it just to see what would happen.

At that point, the software had me run a calibration using an included piece of (apparently) special paper. That took a few minutes (and doesn't require that you do anything other than stick the paper in) and after that it was ready to use.

On normal paper, both text and graphics look noticeably higher resolution than an older HP model that's on its last legs. I tried printing a single photo, just to get an idea of what it could do-I don't have any photo paper (I use Kodak to develop my photos) so I don't know how much better photos can look on special paper. On normal paper it was clear that it was a printout, but at the same time it also looked better than the results I've seen from any other printer.

Print speed seemed very fast-even on high quality mode printing that picture it printed faster than my current (admittedly old) printer handles text...obviously text on draft is faster still.

I'm curious about how long the ink will last. The cartridges are cheap-not much over half what I'm used to ink cartridges costing. They don't SEEM much different in size compared to other printers I've had, but does the low price mean they don't hold much? Or maybe they're less expensive because you aren't re-purchasing the print heads every time? And for that matter, what does it mean for longevity that the heads are part of the printer and not the cartridges? Perhaps they're higher quality? I don't know.

I haven't tried it, but the iP4820 is supposed to be able to do borderless printing. My current printers can't, so that should be handy even just for normal documents, where occasionally I have something that doesn't quite fit within that printer's margins. (I have one document which annoyingly fits within one printer's margins but not another's...hopefully that won't be an issue on the iP4820).
Another random thing-I like that it doesn't use a power adapter, just a normal power cord...since that's much easier to find a spot to plug it in!

At any rate, assuming I get a reasonable number of pages from this, I'm pretty happy with it so far! I'll update this review if/when I find out about how long the ink lasts me or that sort of thing.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 23, 2010
Printer is quiet, fast, and real easy to use. I have an aging Canon i9900 and the Pixma 4820 actually does a better job of printing 8x11 photos on Canon Pro Platinum paper using the included Canon printing software. Really pleased with the results. Also prints text-based black and white documents really fast.
on November 4, 2010
I like everything except the price of the ink. I will only use Canon ink as I have had trouble in the past using "compatible" inks. The print quality is good...but, again...the ink is expensive. At least the tanks are separate so you don't have to throw out a whole cartridge if one color runs out.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The price point for this printer is outstanding for the quality of the prints it produces. I've paid 2-3x for a photo printer that doesn't print as well as this one. For a sub $100 photo printer, you can't go wrong here. I use this printer for photographs ONLY. I have an excellent HP laserjet (HP LaserJet 1320 Laser Printer if you're interested) that I use for printing text. My primary criteria for a photo printer are:

1) High quality images
2) Border-less Prints
3) Reasonable form factor

The canon ip4820 delivers on all of the above, and at a very decent price. Borderless 4x6 color prints look spectacular when using some high quality gloss paper from Kodak. I printed about 40 of them in a little over an hour. I also printed a borderless 8x10 which also looks terrific. Keep in mind that the quality of the print depends both on the quality of the original file and the paper you print on. If you want to print quality pictures, get good paper!

Set up is a breeze. I went to the Canon webpage to see if there were any driver updates newer than those on the enclosed CD. As of this review (October 2010) there are not. The software provided by Canon is minimally intrusive and uses very little system resources; however you don't need to install it--you can use only the drivers if you are concerned about it. These days most machines have more than adequate ram, so having a process running in the background is not a huge issue for me at least.

Overall this is a very nice printer for a reasonable price. I'd recommend it to those looking for a reasonably sized and prized color photo printer capable of doing borderless printing. 4/5 Stars.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 27, 2010
This is my third Canon Ink jet printer. All three have failed inside one year with clogged and failed print heads. While the ink looks relatively cheap, if you don't print every day, then the print head drys out and clogs permananty. The new print head costs almost as much as this new printer! Also on all three Canons, I have used enormous amounts of ink cleaning the heads. One or two regular cleanings and a deep cleaning empties a cartridge and the head is still not clean. I'm never buying another Canon printer product.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations