on August 18, 2010
This is a pretty nice monitor. It has VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI inputs for video, as well as audio input for its two 1W speakers (but get a real sound system if you care about quality) and a headphone jack (inconveniently placed way in back with the other ports). It also apparently doesn't auto-detect the inputs: I had to set it explicitly to DVI before I could get anywhere; thankfully there is a dedicated button for that.

The Splendid function is interesting, but not terribly useful to me. It adjusts the colors in the picture in various ways. Theater Mode, for instance, increases the contrast and saturation, which is okay. There's also a Game Mode, which just looks weird to me: it seems to posterize the colors in some cases; and don't use it to watch, say, Internet video, as all of the compression artifacts will be glaringly obvious.

Also, the specs give the viewing angle as 170° horizontal, 160° vertical. What they don't tell you is that the actual useful range of vertical viewing angles starts slightly above level and goes up, rather than being centered at level. If you're at all below the screen, dark colors become much darker and make it hard to see the picture. For this reason, I can't tilt the screen back the way I usually like to, at least not permanently.

Finally, one thing that I found really annoying with this monitor is the delay when changing video modes. Many of you are familiar with how modern monitors take a moment to adjust if you change the resolution or refresh rate, but this one takes it to a ridiculous extreme, a full THREE SECONDS before you see anything again. Why is that necessary, especially with a digital signal? Remember when monitors could adjust in a fraction of a second? Why has this become gradually worse with supposedly better technology?

Overall, though, I'm quite pleased with this monitor.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again