on November 12, 2010
Edit 3/16/2011: No problems at all and three months later I still have not changed my opinion of this HDTV.

EDIT 12/14/2010: I've now had this HDTV for almost a month and I feel compelled to update my review because the picture quality is absolutely remarkable! From the first, I changed the "Pic Mode" to "Movie" and made no other picture adjustment. The apparent depth is just stunning -- as close to 3D as I've seen in a non-3D television. This is particularly noticeable when I switch from watching one of my other HDTVs to this one. With this "Movie" setting, black levels are very intense for movie viewing. But it was watching the football game on Sunday that was so stunning. Realistic is the only word for it.

Otherwise, everything I said previously holds and I won't make any other updates unless some problem should come up.

EDIT 11/12/2010: This review is updated 5 days after purchase. My initial "r:" will appear where I added later comments. I recommend you also read the comments for this review and the comment I made to another reviewer ( http://www.amazon.com/review/RN9YJSLNGTBBF/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003XU6D6Y&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful ). I'm doing this because I am extremely satisfied with this TV and believe it deserves careful consideration whether on sale or list price. My "4 star" review is based on my experience with large (37 - 53 inch) HDTVs at all feature levels. If considering this TV only against other HDTV of the 37 or 40 inch size and at this lowest feature level for standard brands, I would say this is a "5 star" HDTV. r: updated 11/20/10

I was able to get this TV at Best Buy as an "early Black Friday" offer for $400. At that price, this is a fantastic deal. I was also able to stand and compare the video image side by side from very close up (2 ft) with the Sony KDL40EX500 and EX400, the Toshiba 40E200U, and a Panasonic TCL37D2 -- frankly, it was like looking at virtual copies except the Soney EX500 had a SLIGHTLY better image (less edge flicker on football players in motion). Without brand names, you couldn't tell one from the other whether they were turned on or off (they all had a similar matte screen finish). Keep in mind that these TVs were all set in the store to a very hot, bright picture. On the audio side, they all sounded decent with none standing out as "better" (in the showroom at least). With that comparison, it was easy for me to choose to save more than $100 and buy the Toshiba 40FT1U. (The little information I could actually find about the 40FT1U says that it is basically the same as the Toshiba 40E299U but with only 3 HDMI connectors instead of 4.)

Getting it home, assembled (very simple and well-engineered 4 bolt base assembly) and connected (using HDMI), I wasn't disappointed at all by the product when in the quiet and soft natural (window) lighting of my bedroom. The tv has 5 "Pic Modes" with the mysterious names (probably the typical Toshiba names) of Sport, Standard, Movie, PC and Preference (I think this one is customizable). These are really brightness/contrast alternatives with Sport too bright for me -- Movie turned out to be my preferred mode and seems to provide real deep black levels. The audio is clear (w/o much low end), offers plenty of volume and has a really good surround synthesizer.

r: My one real regret about this supposedly "low-end" tv is that Toshiba (like most manufactures with their low-end tvs) does not provide any audio outputs that would allow me to easily plug in some better speakers or a headphone (since this is a bedroom tv for us). They do provide optical digital audio out for a receiver or peramp for use with a sound system.

The menus are pretty clear and easy to move through, but offer far more alternatives than are covered in the manual (r: for a complete manual, see below). Some are not immediately obvious to me and I'll have to explore the Toshiba site just to see what they mean. All in all with only a couple hours experience, I'm very happy with this HDTV and would recommend it even at it's normal price. I'll try to add more after I've had it a while.

r: I did just find a detailed Operators Manual in the Customer Support section of the Toshiba product site. It covers all controls, I/O and menu functions.

r: My main purpose for the edit is to say how, after 5 days and now having finished setting this TV up with full DirecTV Whole-Home capability and spending some time watching familiar programming, my wife and I are absolutely awed by what we got for $400. This tv picture quality is at least comparable to our Sony 37" and 53" rear projection LCDs (3 and 5 years old respectively) and I think the black level is better. DirecTV recognizes the tv as 1080p and properly displays 1080p content. I watch a lot of sports and both football and basketball games are beautifully displayed. The TV handles all lighting levels (from near dark to our bright sunlit windows) without needing any adjustment. Our viewing distance is about 10 feet and the 40" display provides a theater-like view. I have NO regrets (despite the lack of analog audio outs). The only question that remains is reliability -- will it work without problems for the next many years -- only time can tell, but there is no reason to suspect an issue. And at $400, the risk is small.

Here's the published "features":

Product Features
- 40" screen measured diagonally from corner to corner. For optimal viewing in medium to large rooms.
- Ultraslim design (3-1/2" deep). Ideal for wall mounting (with optional mounting kit, not included). 200mm x 200mm VESA compatible.
- DynaLight dynamic backlight control. Uses advanced image processing to monitor the brightness of each video frame and creates seamless transitions with deep black levels.
- CineSpeed LCD panel.Provides smooth transitions between fast-action scenes.
- 24 fps Cinema Mode with 3:2 pulldown. Delivers accurate reproduction of film-based sources.
- TheaterWide picture sizes. Including natural, TheaterWide 1, 2, 3 and fullscreen, 4:3 HD, native and dot-by-dot for custom entertainment.
- Color temperature control and picture preference modes. Including sports, standard, movie, preferences and PC for a customized viewing experience.
- 1080p display. Provides the highest quality progressive-scan picture possible from a high-definition source.
- Invisible speaker system. With mute and half mute options to deliver the volume levels you want.
- Inputs: Include ColorStream component video, 3 HDMI (1 side), 1 PC and A/V (rear).
- Outputs:Include Dolby digital optical.
- 3 HDMI inputs. HDMI cable not included. High-speed HDMI cable is the only connection that can deliver a full HDTV experience with a full 1080p picture and digital surround sound.
PC video input
- Lets you connect your computer to experience high-resolution images.
- USB port. Offers quick connection of a digital camera or other USB devices.
- Gaming mode. For fast game controller response.
- Useful additional features: Including sleep timer, channel/input lock and channel/input labeling.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2010
I have to agree with the previous reviewer that this appears to be a great deal but not much written on this model. Bestbuy had ten of these in stock for $399, and within two hours all were gone. I am not a great fan of Toshiba but I would think they are in the top five to six brands. I have only had the TV for a few days and so far I like everything about it. The stand was easy to put on, the remote and setup was really easy, and the picture is as good as any I have seen lately. I will let it run continuously for two to three days for my own 'burn in' test. I figure if it is going to go bad it probably will within the first 72 hours or so. Also I will have to January to return it and make sure it is working correctly. Normally on a more expensive TV I will purchase the extended warrenty for an additional $100, but on this cheap of a set it doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully this will be a good deal and I certainly couldn't pass up a Toshiba 40 inch LCD for this low of a price. Only time will tell.
on November 14, 2010
I bought this TV from Bestbuy and I liked it very much. However, it has some missing properties that you might expect to have on your TV.

Cons:

- There is no stereo output and you can not connect the TV to a speaker system, but since there is an optical audio output, you can buy a home theater system instead and this means a lot more money.

-You can not play videos (movies) using the USB port. Only photos can be seen and music can be played, but NO videos !!!

Other than these, it has a great image quality, I'm totally satisfied and recommend this TV...
on November 19, 2010
PROs:
Great price ($400).
Great picture quality.
3 HDMI and 1 PC input.
Easy to set up.

CONs:
Limited input (only 1 component and 1 composite, no S-video).
Only 1 HDMI and 1 USB port on the side.
Poor audio output (not enough bass).
Very limited audio output option (only optical).
Non-swivel base.
No tilt angle adjustment.

Summary:
This is a good budget-minded LCD HDTV. The picture quality is very good. It would be a great choice if you have a receiver/home theater system to go with. That would solve the audio output and limited video input issues. If you don't need extra input or you are not too picky on the sound quality, this would be an excellent value. I give it only 4-star because of the limited video input ports (other than HDMI) and audio output option and quality.
on December 10, 2010
- Excellent Picture, it's very stunning to say the least. This is the TV's shining point.
- Great for movies and video games, I use it for Xbox 360 gaming. It's also great for watching sports like football and basketball
- I got it for just [...] on Amazon with free shipping, two weeks before Black Friday 2010 (It was also being sold at this price at Best Buy but with tax. Amazon didn't charge tax :) It came just 3 days after I placed the order. What a steal of a deal!
- Don't worry about the 60 Hz refresh rate, I really don't see a difference between this and 120 Hz
- Nice finish, looks great in a bedroom. It's relatively thin too compared to most others out there right now, apart from LED's
- Good price for an established name-brand Toshiba 40" LCD HDTV
- The sound could be better... I have another Sharp HDTV that has much better sound. But it's still nice. I turned the treble all the way up and it sounds much better than default factory settings.
- Very quick setup, had it up and running in just a few minutes
- The remote looks bland and sometimes (at least for me) it seems like it takes a few presses to work, and you have to point it towards the TV's sensor. This was a little hard to get used to, as my other TV's didn't require this type of precise "aiming"
- The 3 HDMI ports are more than enough for most people's needs, including mine
- I feel like this is like a $600-$700 TV! I paid so much less and am extremely happy with it! I wish I got in on another one for another room. I hope it holds up for the near future, as it was a deal I couldn't pass by on.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2010
Hello

I am one of the many here who bought this from Best Buy for $399.00. I wanted a good LED LCD fat screen and was looking at the Sharp Aquos series but this deal at less than half the price sealed it for me.

This is the first flatscreen TV I have bought and hence have no real base for comparison except with old CRT models (Sony Wega). I use this as the main TV in the living room and so far, have only tried a couple of Blu-ray movies on it. As some others here have noted, the audio is lackluster - especially the low end but it is definitely more than livable. The picture quality is where this TV set truly shines. I have always liked Toshiba products and this one is no different. The blacks are the blackest I have seen for some time. I have only seen better ones in TV sets priced above $1500 in the showroom. The set up was easy. The only other downside I can think of is the remote - the remote requires a good two presses at least for the TV to react to it. Additionally, I need to point the TV remote right at the receiver sensor - pointing at a slightly off-center angle does not work. This can be inconvenient if say you are having dinner at the dining table and watching the TV and want to increase the volume - you would have to get up and point the remote at the sensor as straight as possible for the TV to respond. I used the stock AA batteries - maybe I should change them and try.

Other than these minor inconveniences, I absolutely love the set especially given the price I received it at. Would happily paid a $100 more and still be perfectly happy with it.
on November 22, 2010
Like many of you I purchased this at Best Buy for $399.00. At this price point I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of this display. There is some motion blur on live sporting events, and the internal speakers don't really offer much, regardless of the "equalizer". The black level is just o.k. through blu ray.

This replaced a Sony KDL 46" television that my son damaged by accidentally throwing a blunt object (think Wii Controller) into the screen. He even noticed that the sound is lacking, and he is only 13. I told him I would hook up a small amp and some speakers to it, but there is only an optical output.

No problem, for 35.00 you can get an adapter that will convert your optical digital audio out to analog RCA. I just purchased a digital to analog converter from cabletrain and should solve the sound issue.

Overall, a good 2nd television for the bedroom.
on November 18, 2010
I got this set from Amazon for $399.99, and after seeing it in my room, I realize how much of a steal I got. This set is easy to set up, with a great picture and decent sound as far as built-in speakers go. As far as the quality of the picture, I couldn't be happier. The only reason I am unwilling to give this set a 5 star review is the lack of audio out ports, as others have mentioned. Had they been included, I wouldn't be able to ask for more. However, if this isn't a critical feature for you, I would highly recommend this TV, even at a higher price point than what I paid.

Edit: In response to other's complaining of a wobbly stand, I haven't noticed any sort of wobble in mine.
on November 17, 2010
I got this TV from amazon at $400. At this price, it was a steal for sure. Name brand 40 inch, probably the first time this low. My expectations were not too high, but it doesn't disappoint. There is one issue I have and it is with the stand. Maybe I should mount this TV because the stand is wobbly and doesn't stand up straight and leans towards me. It also has absolutely no tilt. Otherwise there is nothing else wrong I have found with the TV. Everything is pretty standard, no cables besides power, standard remote with batteries. I think at $400 though, this is the best deal ever on a name brand television. If it didn't wobble, I would give it a five star.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2011
I also managed to get this TV for 400. I have had it for about a month now and I couldn't be more pleased. I looked around and researched for a LONG time before upgrading to a new tv and I have not seen even close to as good a deal considering the 40 inch size. The picture quality is amazing even compared side by side with brands like Samsung and Sony (which I have had the opportunity to see side by side. If you are wondering about gaming it is great for that too....the 60 hz refresh rate does fine on every xbox 360 game I have played. It is true that there is only digital audio (optical) out and no stereo out, that would be the one addition to make this TV perfect instead of just amazing. If you have the chance to get this TV for under 500 I would jump on it.... because for a comparable tv anywhere any brand you are going to be paying a lot more.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations