Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Palladium Men's Pampa Hi Canvas Boot
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 11, 2012
I would like to start by first saying the only thing that makes these anything in common with Converse All Stars is they are Hitop and Canvas. I dont think the French would wear these in the desert for 70 yrs if they were Sneakers. This is my 5th pair of Palladiums, and I can say without a doubt these are my favorite Boots I own. These are more suited for summer use being canvas. My waterproof leather version of these boots are perfect for winter. But as far as being lite weight and VERY comfortable these are unmatched. They are both stylish and comfy. They go with literally everything I wear From Jeans to Khakis. I just dont understand everyone comparing these to Converse All Stars. They are WAY more comfortable than Any Converse All Stars Ive ever had. AND they ARE BOOTS and NOT sneakers. Im NOT trying to offend any of the other reviewers Im just saying these are Nothing like Converse All Stars. Thanks for reading.
0Comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2013
These boots are NARROW. Dont buy if you have flat or wide feet. Im not sure if Palladium offers these boots in widths but the boots in general are narrow. Overall these boots are great.
on September 18, 2013
I have been wearing these boots for more than 40 years, about one pair every two to three years, when I am not in uniform this is what I wear, during summer and dry winter days, for hiking, backpacking or just around town.
They are light, have soles with good grip, keep my feet cool on hot days, are easy to clean - I wash mine by hand although I have washed them in the machine without any adverse effects - easy to pack, and give me just the support I need without unnecessary bulk or weight.
My first three pairs still had the original burlap insoles, no support at all though easy to wash, the present insoles are a lot better.
If for some reason, I hope never, the manufacturer decides to discontinue these boots, I hope to be informed of it ahead of time so I can buy 10 to 20 pair, so as to be sure I never have to "set foot" in those over-engineered, over-priced, over-promoted hideous spaceship resembling synthetic monstrosities passing for hiking-boots these days.
on June 21, 2013
So I typically require a slighty wider shoe size and have to be very picky about what shoes I buy due to my wonky feet. I was super hesitant about buying boots online, but I was taking a motorcycle safety course a couple of weekends ago and they required a boot that covered the ankle.

I figured I would do summer hiking and needed a light boot that would hold up to motorcycle riding and rock surmounting. These boots do both!

They are a great fit due to the canvas sides (they expand a bit to fit my foot) and have pretty much no break-in time.

Very happy with my purchase.

One issue if you have weak ankles...there is very little ankle support. That is better for me (can't stand the restrictive boot styles) but keep that in mind if you are looking for ankle support.
on December 3, 2013
I wear a size 10 and these do run small as other reviewers have noted
I purchased two pair,different colors and both fit the same. I highly recommend you go to the next 1/2 size up.
As far as comfort they are OK but nothing to write home about
on December 13, 2014
This is my first pair of Palladiums and immediately knew the fit was similar to Chucks (Converse). I was a bit hesitant on what size to get especially with the differing advice in the reviews here. Its a TTS (true to size) shoe despite what people say in terms of sizing up / down. Naturally my foot size is a men's size 8 (I have normal width, I'm not narrow nor wide) and I know this because I measured my bare foot with a ruler from heel to toe which converts to millimeters and to a shoe size. Since I own a pair of chucks in 8.5 that left me with a bit of space in case I wear thicker socks for a more snug fit, I decided to get 8.5 in these boots as well since I know for a fact I'll be also wearing thicker socks with these. I got them and immediately tried them on and fit just like my chucks, with a bit of space (with standard socks) and fit nicer with thicker socks (stance winter socks were used). Basically, it's TTS so get your actual size or size up .5 for a little space. These are great quality for the price I got them for ($40 on cyber Monday) and are comfortable, sturdy, and good looking. This is a must have if you need something more rugged than chucks but need something comfortable and casual to beat on a daily basis. One of my next shoe purchases might be a leather or waterproof pair of Palladiums as these are canvas and will not mix well with rain weather. Cheers!
on December 4, 2014
i dont write reviews very often.. but these shoes are awesome! i cant go on enough about how happy i am with these shoes. ive always been looking for converse high top style in a boot form factor. both for style and the fact that i need warmer shoes. i was looking at these ones that Levi made but they got horrible reviews saying they were too heavy and poorly made. then i found these and thought i'd give them a try. they are cheaper than the levi's if i recall. they are also made really well.
these shoes are alot like converse high tops, but made with much thicker and tougher canvas. i mean.. like military grade canvas. and its not like its made out of multiple layers of thin material like converse. these shoes are tough! the rubber is one solid piece too. converse has multiple pieces of rubber glued together- not these! it seems like every detail of these shoes were carefully thought out and made with high quality. even the shoelaces are perfect! they are flat which i love. they also have amazing grip, which is also pretty unique because the tread is widely spaced which keeps them nice and lightweight while actually providing better tread. ive had these for a couple months or so now, and i dont expect them to come apart soon. ive been abusing them. ive used them every time i ride my harley, and they get dragged alot. these shoes can be used as work boots (unless you need the steel toe) motorcycle boots, hiking boots, or even just every day shoes. theyre so comfortable, im actually still wearing them in the house right now. the only problem i encountered was that they took a week of wearing them daily to finally break them in enough to be comfortable. converse high tops need breaking in too, but not as much as these do. which makes sense, because they are made of much thicker canvas. but fast forward to now, and they are extremely comfortable and thoroughly broken in. i ordered a size 9 which is my size for converse high tops, and at first these felt so tight, i was ready to return them. i am SO GLAD i didnt because they just needed to be broken in. so if you think they are too tight GIVE THEM A CHANCE because trust me they need some breaking in and it will be worth it. in the end they are sized the same as converse high tops. they are not exactly waterproof, duh, its canvas. but surprisingly enough i havent felt my feet get wet from walking in the rain. i also did eventually spray it with waterproofing spray. all in all, ive never been happier over a shoe purchase.

pros:
-very tough, high quality build
-stylish
-comfortable, practical, lightweight
-versatility. can be used for work, motorcycle, hiking, ect
-no squeak
-good grip
-better arch support than converse high tops

cons:
-no steel/carbon fiber toe
-needs breaking in
-waterproofing spray needed
on May 14, 2015
I bought these boots to replace my 3 layer hot weather combat boots that have been with me for about 3 years after numerous resolings, as they raised eyebrows more than I would like, and don't exactly work stylistically with shorts. Therefore this review will be in direct comparison to these boots.

Fit:
I listened to the advice of those that advised ordering a half size larger than what you normally. I wear 9.5w (wide) in the 3LC boots, and 10 in sneakers, so I ordered 10.5, and I'm very glad I did. Other reviewers were not kidding when they said these shoes run narrow, even in the 10.5 I can definitely feel some pressure on the inward side of my right foot, the left is fine. Though since it's canvas I expect this to go away. The toe area is slightly long, but not uncomfortable.

Construction:
On to the boot itself. It is amazingly well constructed, with very thick sturdy canvas, unlike the paper thin canvas used in converse. They are double stiched in a majority of areas. There is no flash rubber except at the toe cap, which is a very neat line. The boots are not sole heavy, and are very well balanced. Weight wise, both pairs aren't even as heavy as ONE of the Hot weather combat boots. The only thing I might be worried about would be the laces, as they felt a bit weak(can replace with paracord if they break), and the REMOVABLE insole, which felt somewhat cheap, as it's just thin foam. The rubber also seems a bit soft, flexible, but cushiony. OF NOTE, the tongue ISN'T gusseted, which means it's not connected to the sides of where the lace holes are. This is important as it means debris can enter the boot. It also means it's pointless to wax this boot as water will still find it's way in through gap in tongue. I would not recommend waxing a canvas boot like this anyway, as you're likely going to use this in a hot environment , and it's better to let the boot breathe and evaporate the moisture. It's also short so water gets over the top easy anyway.

Use details:
Afterwards I took it for a 3.2 mile walk around the area. I am surprised yet again. I personally have plantar fasciitis, and I find it hard pressed to find any type of footwear out of the box that doesn't inflame it and cause me pain. Yet even with the stock thin insole, I didn't have any pain whilst walking. This is spectacular for a seemingly flat footed shoe. Cushion was great, but could still feel the road a bit, but not anything that would cause discomfort and pain. The rubber sole was very grippy, almost like a suction cup at times. The soft rubber also held up very well, as even the small asterisk like design on the soles which I expected to disintegrate quickly still remained very intact afterwards. Also great ankle support for a canvas boot. Don't hesitate taking this out for a day or 3 day hike, should hold up.

TL; DR Boot feels good if you order half size up and looks good, doesn't make people ask you questions you may not want them to and will probably hold up to what you throw at it in your hardcore trip to school or restaurant. DON'T WAX, you're wasting your time. Let it breathe in and out. Don't use in winter, that's stupid. French Foreign Legion liked this, so should you.

September 2015 update: The pattern on the tread is completely worn down but the rubber is holding well and many many more miles have been put into the boots on both pavement and trail. Because the pattern is worn down the boot is very unreliable on wet or oiled surface, I have slipped many a time just walking on metal grating, or basement cellar doors. The canvas at the edges also turns slightly orange in the rain, but normalizes once dry. Just so you are aware folks
on April 21, 2014
Light, breathable, durable. I had a pair in the past that lasted me almost 20 years, but the logos had all worn off. I rediscovered them only by accident, and I must say they're actually improved from the old days (so many things just get cheaper). Ankle support is great, and they let your foot breathe in hot weather.
on March 2, 2015
I've been wearing boots of this type for 20 years (uhg, that made me feel old...) and I've always loved Palladiums. They're rugged, a good price and have proven themselves with the Legion, so what more can one ask for. Some people have had quality issues, but I've never run into them myself, all these needed was a little wear, some water proofing and they were ready to hit the trail. Well suited to a number of environments, but I will say the sole can be a bugger if you're walking over gravel a lot as it tends to get stuck in the tread. I also describe them as light weather boots, because a canvas boot isn't the best choice for snow, but I have a leather pair that I wear wool with and so between two pairs I wear them year round.