on March 3, 2011
This is such an amazing monitor, I can't believe it was priced so well. The picture is bright with incredible contrast and colors. Perfectly uniform brightness, and it's a matte finish so there's no glare. Overall it's very easy on the eyes, and I spend a lot of time in front of the computer. The screen is huge and so thin and light. It puts off no heat at all. Installation was simple and I've used it with a PC and 2 Macs (Mac Mini & Macbook Pro). All of them found it right away and identified it correctly as "S273HL" and it runs perfectly at 1920x1080 resolution. I've also used an Apple 27" Cinema display this display is comparable at less than half the price.

I use this mostly for: work, photography and Photoshop, watching videos, web browsing, web development.

I was initially hesitant to buy this monitor for these 2 reasons:

1) The first reviewer of this item gave it 1 star and wrote a bad review. I made a leap of faith regardless and am so glad that I did. I'm pretty sure that the first reviewer did not set it up right, used the wrong drivers, or had a problem with their system. I've used this on 3 computers and it is perfect on all of them, with no black frames or resolution issues at all. I hope that my review is helpful for those that also saw the 1-star review.

2) The specs state that it's "Windows 7 Ready" but say nothing about Mac OSX. I know it's just a monitor so I shouldn't have worried, but I've heard of others having driver issues on OSX. Again, decided it was worth a shot and was so happy when both of my Macs discovered it correctly.

Overall, I am completely satisfied with this purchase, and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great 27" LED monitor with an amazing picture. The benefits of LED are great... 12 million to 1 contrast ratio, bright, vivid colors, low power consumption, no mercury, super-thin and light, long-lasting, and easy on the eyes! All that for $350 is unbelievable. Hope my review helps some others make the same great decision that I did!
review image review image review image
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 23, 2011
Verified Purchase
When shopping for a 27" LCD monitor, this was the best I could find for around $300 (my budget). I had considered the 28" Hanns G HZ281HPB, but I felt more comfortable going with Acer, because my previous LCD monitor was an Acer and I had absolutely no issues with it (except that I wanted something larger). I had also considered the ASUS VE278Q. I chose the Acer over the ASUS because of its slimmer design, less obtrusive stand (it's all metal, instead of cheap plastic), and button layout. It really is a beautiful monitor. It looks much better in person than in the photos. The display is bright, crisp, and colorful. I have it connected to my MacBook Pro via Mini DisplayPort to HDMI and my Mac recognized it right away. I also have it connected to my Linux desktop (Ubuntu) via DVI to HDMI connector, and my nVidia card recognized the monitor too. I haven't tested the built-in speaker because I use a dedicated set of PC speakers. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a 27" monitor under $350.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 3, 2011
Verified Purchase
Pros:

This monitor proved to be excellent for gaming and watching movies, it never ghosts.

Good contrast and great picture quality.

It has a very sturdy stand and it wont wobble.

It's the only 27" monitor you can find for less than 300 dollars.

Cons

It comes with a not too good default calibration (too bright for my taste) I always have to set it to movie preset and lower the brightness after unplugging it.
on March 2, 2012
Got it for only 250$ at Microcenter, keep an eye out for their deals. For 250$ there wasn't a single other 27 in monitor out there with the quality this one provided. In it's special graphics setting, it boasts crisp, deep and vibrant colors. Switching back to my laptop makes everything seem so washed out. It's super thin, I was amazed, and has a very appealing design that sets it apart from the sea of boxy black monitors.

The only con: The base isn't detachable, so mounting to a wall or external stand isnt an option. It is a huge monitor and because your stuck with the stand, make sure you're willing to sacrifice a lot of desk space.

Also, speakers are terrible, and buttons aren't amazingly responsive, but that's not what I bought the monitor for anyways.

Best investment I've made in a while. This monitor deserves more recognition.
on October 4, 2011
This is the second 27 inch LCD w/ LED technology display I have tried. The first one was the more highly rated ASUS VE278Q which I found to have a lower quality display. More specifically, the ASUS display that was delivered to me had good focus in the middle of the screen but the quality deteriorated towards the edges. That isn't the case with this Acer which I'am enjoying now as I write this review.

My one concern was the blue light under the display, the unusual stand design, and the access to the buttons which garnered poor reviews. I would consider myself a design conscious person but I haven't found these to be issues for me and they have not impacted my productivity.

I would highly recommend this product!
on July 23, 2011
After looking at Samsung and HP I decided on this one. I went and looked at the 24" version at Best Buy and the Samsung / HP monitors. The 24" version of this looked much better than the others. When I was looking at pictures online I thought the stand would be really ugly, but it's actually not all that bad.

My only criticism is that their aren't any additional USB ports on it.

I've got it hooked up to a Mac Book Pro doing 1080p. Looks great!
on June 9, 2011
I bought two to replace 19" monitors.

Pros:
Large no-glare screen
Solid base
Nice display
Fast, no blur
Two HDMI ports
Thin

Cons:
No way of mounting
No DVI port!
Software CD a bit spotty. Need to update.

I have two laptops and two desktops to share the two Acer monitors. They range from XP, Win7. Windows doesn't detect the monitor automatically so you much use their software which is out of date. It is a bit quirky and you have to play around with it the options and settings to get it working. The HDMI connection has a nice and clear view but the analog connection took a lot of manipulation to get clear text. Seemed a bit fuzzy. I am going through a KVM switch which is forcing me to go analog so that may be a factor. Overall the screen has been stable and clear.

I tried streaming some videos and I see no issues with monitor. For the price it is an excellent buy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This Acer 27 inch monitor has a creative and original design, amazing picture quality for gaming, movies, and computing tasks, and is a very sleek monitor. I was surprised at how much this monitor is centered on the stand. Everything - from the menu key, speakers, to inputs - is on the stand. That maximizes the size of the monitor and gives it a fresh and smooth look.

FEATURES

- 2 HDMI ports, VGA, and audio port. Connections and inputs are on the stand, and behind it facing out.
- Comes with 1 HDMI cable, 1 VGA chord, and audio auxiliary chord. Those were all nice additions.
- 2 ms response time. After years of using monitors with 5 ms response times, you can definitely tell the difference. Games like Left 4 Dead 2and movies like Green Lantern (2011) look crisp and smooth.
- One speaker, which is located on the stand.
- Keys, like menu, arrow keys, auto adjust, are located on the stand, in a piano key type of fashion.
- Eco, power saving mode
- Full 1900 x 1080p resolution

DESIGN

* Very original design, with a nice flush gray finish and almost everything centered on the stand. This monitor does not have any buttons on the monitor itself, but all of which are located on the stand. I found this to be ingenious and convenient. No more trying to find or squint at camouflaged buttons. The piano key style buttons has a black font on top of a gray/silver stand. The monitor has a normal black plastic finish. I'd wished that it had a glossy finish like many of the Samsung models, but that's okay. Despite that, it's still sleek.
* At about 3/4 inch thick, this monitor is also very portable and relatively lightweight. For a 27 inch monitor, this is very easy to move, if anyone ever needs to move it.
* Blue LED light and orange LED light sleep mode. When facing the monitor, the blue LED light is not intrusive at all. It's facing the side of the monitor, away from the user's vision. From the user's perspective, the blue LED light illuminates the buttons.
Overall, a unique and well designed monitor that looks stylish on any desk.

PRESET PICTURE MODES

The modes are as follows: user (customizable), standard, eco power saving mode, graphics, and movies. Standard has a nice balance, but is still relatively dim. The eco mode is essentially dimmer and doesn't have much backlight or sharpness. The graphics mode is great for all purpose computing, gaming, and internet surfing. The movies mode is also great for all purpose computing, but a tad bit dimmer than the Graphics mode. I personally like the Graphics mode the most because it's vivid, bright, and makes objects and screen look very sharp and crisp.

PICTURE QUALITY

Picture quality is amazing and jaw-dropping. 1080p pictures, videos, and gaming just jumps out of the screen. As I've mentioned, I like the Graphics mode because the picture is bright and vivid. I'll warn you though: this monitor can potentially be very bright. Either way, you'll find a mode or customized setting that will be good for you.

Also, it's almost like having two monitors. Like when opening both Microsoft Word and an internet browser, both can be put side by side at 100% zoom without no need to scroll. Two programs can fit side by side almost at full size. Great for computing tasks and work-related tasks.

DRAWBACKS

- I'm surprised not many people have mentioned this, but changing the inputs is extremely difficult. There is no remote or button that lets you switch through the HDMI or VGA inputs. You have to go manually to menu, setting, input, just to switch through the inputs. One would think that having several ports, you should be able to at least instantly change, but that is not the case. One huge flaw from an otherwise excellent monitor.
- Speakers aren't so good, but I'm not complaining. Computer monitor speakers as a whole still need to improve. These speakers compare to those of laptop speakers.

Overall, an excellent 27 inch monitor that has amazing picture quality. Definitely a great choice in the crop of 27 inch monitors avalible right now.
on August 20, 2011
Verified Purchase
I went to my local Apple store and drooled all over their 27-inch cinema displays a few days ago. What kept me from buying one was the insane price tag. So I decided to search around Amazon for a monitor that had high specs as well as a cool/sleek looking design. The Acer S273HL fell into both categories so I paid to have it shipped overnight. I recieved it yesterday and I've been in shock since. I LOVE THIS THING. I'm taking it to college next weekend and that's where we will live happily ever after.
on January 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
The monitor works well, but it is at the high end in size for the resolution. I wouldn't recommend getting a monitor larger than 27-inches for 1080p, as the near end of the normal viewing for a monitor makes the pixels visible. The unit is very light and easily carried with a single hand. While some reviewers indicated the stand had issues, ours was perfect, as was the monitor alignment. In fact, it seems impossible for the monitor to be crooked if the stand is properly attached, so there may have been a manufacturing change. We like it.

See 1 answered question