Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Price:$173.48+ Free shipping

on December 17, 2010
I am always curious about the expectations of other consumers who write reviews, so I will try to detail mine. I specifically bought this printer because I travel frequently for work and spend a lot of time working from a hotel room. The size is fairly compact for a laser printer, and having a laser printer was a must since I print a lot of documents when I am on the road (I have gone through inject cartridges within a few days). Price was an issue since things have way of breaking more frequently when you move them around a lot. The cartridges are $70 or so at Office Depot, so don't buy them there! I have found them here on amazon for around $35 which is more than reasonable. Do yourself a favor and buy a replacement immediately as the cartridge that comes with the unit will run out quicker than expected. The speed and quality of prints is decent, and quite frankly would not have even mentioned it unless other reviewers had mentioned it. For anybody who has never used a laser printer, they have cooling fans and yes the do make some noise, but mine has never run for more than 5 minutes. I have a much older brother at home (it is 10 years old and still works great) that is much noisier and runs for much longer than this model. Quite frankly, I was pleased with how much quieter this model is. One feature that I really like is the auxiliary paper feeder for envelopes or other documents that may require a different paper size than is in the main tray. Ultimately, this is a good unit for the price. I have had it a bit over a month and it has met all of my expectations. If you want and expect a more refined unit, then you may want to consider paying more. Personally, I have no complaints.
HALL OF FAMEon July 27, 2011
Video note:
My video clip shows the Brother HL-2240 printing the full user's manual, printing 4 document pagers per side of paper, on both sides of paper (via manual duplex). The printer sits in a confined space in a small room, and I find the noise level (printing plus fan noise) more than acceptable.

As a freelance part-time worker sometimes I need to print documents but my employer doesn't give me access to their lasers, so when I saw this for sale at staples for 60 I decided to get one. I've been very happy with this small-footprint mono laser printer.

The starter toner is rated at 700 pages, but supposedly with the Toner Save mode and printing at 300dpi at text setting, plus shaking the cartridge when toner low comes on, you can stretch the toner life for quite a few more pages. Standard toner is rated at 1,200 pages and costs about 45, with an extended toner available for I think 85 bux but good for 2,600 pages.

The printer supports resolutions of 300 and 600 and 1200 dpi. At the lower two, you can use the Toner Save mode which prints in a lighter shade than normal. The print speed is fast at 300 and 600 dpi (I haven't tested 1200 dpi, since I don't want to waste toner), and I don't find the printer noisy, even though I have sensitive hearing -- you can hear the noise level in my video clip.

The printer was a total breeze to setup. It's small and light-weight. Windows driver is included on an accompanying CD-ROM. (Linux and MacOS drivers can be downloaded.) The driver installed quickly on my Win7 laptop, and Win7 update immediately found an updated version and seamlessly updated the driver. There're many settings for the driver. I have one tip: adjust the settings to your liking and then save your custom settings via the Print Profiles tab; and be sure to check the "Always show the Print Profiles tab first" checkbox so you can get to your proferred settings quick. You can save up to 7 custom profiles. (I name my custom profiles after the major settings, such as "300dpi text toner save duplex" or "600dpi text 2-in-1 duplex".)

To print duplex, this model requires you to turn the paper over manually. Only the models with a D at the end of their model numbers can do automatic duplex printing, e.g., the HL-2240D. (Models with DW at the end can do auto duplex as well as wireless printing.)

Please note that as with all printers sold at places other than at warehouses like Costco or Sam's Club, a USB cable is *not* included in the box. It's the typical A-to-B type of USB cable for printers.

In short, I love the HL-2240. The sale price is just fabulous, and the printer is fast and high-quality and seems durable. Oh, unlike every HP laser I've used, it doesn't appear to jam as much. (It hasn't jammed at all.)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
[2nd UPDATE: I've now had this printer for over a year. It's great. Believe it or not, I *just* finished up the starter cartridge-- true, I don't print that much, but I would say I printed a few hundred pages at least. No regrets at all. This shows really well for Brother.]

[UPDATE: I've had the printer now for about three months and it's exactly what I wanted. Not only that, but I'm using the ink-saver setting and am still on the starter cartridge that came with the printer! As expected, there are now after-market printer ink refill options. People were just being whiney. All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase.]

I too was frustrated to see so few reviews of this product as I was deciding whether to purchase it (there was only one yesterday!). So, here's my initial review based on having used the printer for less than 24 hours. I'll adjust if my later experience changes.

First, the basics: the printer fundamentally does what it says it does. It prints laser quality copies off at a remarkable speed (at least for someone used to an inkjet printer). Nobody expects the performance listed on the box, I think, but just to give you an idea I tried printing a 19 page PDF document. It printed in about 90 seconds: 15 seconds to warm up and process, and another 68 seconds to print the document. That comes to something like 17 pgs per minute-- not the 34 ppm on the box, but really, who cares?

As per the noise issue: yes, I notice the fan, but it's not as bad as everyone makes it sound. I don't really think it makes a difference while I'm printing... afterwards, though, you do kinda wish it would shut off. It's not a half hour like someone said-- it's more like 5-10 minutes, but maybe still too much. I couldn't find a way to change the fan settings but it is something that could be fixed in software.

As for the printer refills, yes-- it seems there are not yet aftermarket refills. However this is unlikely to stay this way; one place told me to check back in a month. I can wait a month, or pay for one Brother refill.

SO FAR-- not a bad purchase for a Black Friday sale, not bad at all.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
I purchased this printer as an additional laser printer. I also own the Brother HL-2140 which is highly rated. I ended up returning this printer and will get another HL-2140. This printer is very noisy. The fan stays on for almost 1/2 hour after the last document is printed. The fan on the HL-2140 would turn off after a minute or two after the last document is printed. The fan can be heard across the room and is too much if you sit near the printer. This printer comes with a toner starter cartridge which only prints 700 pages. The higher model HL-2270DW has a 1200 page toner cartridge. This model also lacks automatic duplex which the HL-2270DW offers. Currently there are no aftermarket companies making toner for this model since it is a newer model. The HL-2140 has several companies making toner that you can get below $20 for 2,000+ page capacity. The toner on this model will run you around $40-$50 for the same capacity. If you are considering purchasing this model, I strongly suggest that you go with the HL-2140 or HL-2170. If you prefer the looks of the HL-2240, then go with the HL-2270DW which has wireless and ethernet connections, larger capacity starter cartridge and automatic duplex.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2011
1. Cheap to buy
2. Cheap toner cartridges
3. Good text quality
4. Decent print speed
5. PC and Mac drivers

1. Noisy
2. Toner cartridge is inexpensive because the replacement cartridge doesn't include a new drum. A replacement drum costs more than the printer. Per the manual, the drum will last 12,000 pages. Assuming you wouldn't pay more for a drum than for a new printer, that limits the lifespan of the printer to 12,000 pages. At best.

Overall a good value, for a relatively low output small office or home printer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2011
This printer is perfect for my tasks. I sell on Ebay internationally and domesticly and need clear fast printing labels. My former printer, a 720 Dell model was hit and miss. Most of time it did not print clear labels and was slow and ink was very expensive.

When this printer (HL-2240) prints the labels, it warms up the label paper and makes the label adhere to the box or envelope SO much better (saving me extra cellaphane tape costs). The printing is clear, quick drying, precise and quick.

I am very happy with my purchase of the HL-2240 printer.
on July 5, 2011
Thanks brother for making a printer that is easy to use. I have been very happy with this product, HL-2240.

My HP printer is too expensive to use on a daily basis because of the cost of the ink. I am sorry I have purchased the HP.

My brother printer does the job for me and I use it on a daily basis. I did own a HL-2140, after time it needed a drum (too expensive) so to purchase a new printer made a lot of sense.

I purchased a USB printer cable but I didn't need to, the old cable worked fine.

The sample toner I am still using it and it has been over a month. I do use the toner saver option when I print. I have purchased a replacement toner and will put it in the machine when I use up my sample toner.

My HL-2240 printer is user friendly and it makes little noise.

Thanks again brother.
on January 19, 2011
I bought this printer at staples because it was a good price and brother toner refills are more affordable than HP. I read some of the reviews on amazon before buying it and the main complaint seemed to be the noise. My printer does not run the fan for more than a second or two after the last sheet prints, so there may have been a driver update to eliminate that particular annoyance.

It prints pages quickly and with good quality.
So far it seems to be a good little printer well worth the 79.95 I paid for it.
on May 2, 2014
Brother now has a "hard shutdown" toner detection in its printers to sell more toner. Cartridges are FAR from empty when the toner light comes on. Moreover, the sensor is cheap and breaks easily. My 2240 broke and wouldn't print even with a brand new Brother cartridge installed. If they weren't greedy for dishonest toner sales, this couldn't happen. No printer should EVER have a hard shutdown due to supposedly low toner. Do not support this kind of SCAM. Buyer Beware.
on June 3, 2011
I have bought 2 of these printers, one for each of my sons. They do the job cheaply and neatly at a decent price. Perfect for school work and heading off to college. No problems whatsoever. What's not to like?